NBA Season 2017/18

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: NBA Season 2017/18

Post by snaz16 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Feels like a great day for qualifying to the NBA Finals!
As a Cleveland sports fan , you don't EVER presume a series win until the checks written and cashed. :wink:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

pk500 wrote:I told a friend of mine after the Celtics won Game 5 that there was no way in hell Cleveland would lose Game 6 at home and no way in hell LeBron would lose a Game 7.

Since I'm on a hot streak, there's also no way in hell Golden State loses Game 7 tonight.

Warriors-Cavs IV lies ahead.
Warriors in five. LeBron will steal one game, but the Dubs' starting lineup is FAR too good for Cleveland's. The Cavs' only hope is an injury to one of Golden State's starters, as the Dubs' bench is not nearly as good as its first title team in this run.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Won't be watching.....hope those that are enjoy it.

Not a fan of either team and have better things to do with my time since the Rockets blew their slim chance to beat the Warriors.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Warriors in five. LeBron will steal one game, but the Dubs' starting lineup is FAR too good for Cleveland's. The Cavs' only hope is an injury to one of Golden State's starters, as the Dubs' bench is not nearly as good as its first title team in this run.
I’ll go with Warriors in 6. Like you said LBJ will steal one game and play out of his mind in the second win out of desperation. This Warriors team is not playing with the same dominance like they did the last two years. Maybe they’re bored/complacent and LBJ smells that.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Iggy is still out from a knee contusion/bone bruise.

He's their best defender on Lebron.

Especially this first game is rife for stealing, with the Warriors having a quick turnaround, flying in late from Houston.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

If the Cavs somehow upset the Warriors and win the title, then LeBron enters the conversation with Jordan as the GOAT. He's clearly No. 2 right now. But if he carries this lousy lineup to a title against a stacked Warriors' team, then he's 1B.

The continued dominance, reaching the Finals eight straight years with two franchises. The durability. The lack of anyone as good as Pippen this year. The ability to play four of the five positions on the floor. That all vaults LBJ into the discussion, where he probably would land at 1B.

Sure, Jordan was 6-0 in Finals. He also had Pippen each of those years. And the Bulls, as I recall, were favored in all six Finals. The Cavs weren't favored in 2016 and sure as hell aren't favored this year.

I still would put Jordan at 1A. But LeBron becomes 1B if the Cavs somehow win this series.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote:If the Cavs somehow upset the Warriors and win the title, then LeBron enters the conversation with Jordan as the GOAT. He's clearly No. 2 right now. But if he carries this lousy lineup to a title against a stacked Warriors' team, then he's 1B.

The continued dominance, reaching the Finals eight straight years with two franchises. The durability. The lack of anyone as good as Pippen this year. The ability to play four of the five positions on the floor. That all vaults LBJ into the discussion, where he probably would land at 1B.

Sure, Jordan was 6-0 in Finals. He also had Pippen each of those years. And the Bulls, as I recall, were favored in all six Finals. The Cavs weren't favored in 2016 and sure as hell aren't favored this year.

I still would put Jordan at 1A. But LeBron becomes 1B if the Cavs somehow win this series.
Ditto.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah but the East a lot of those years have been poor.

Toronto was the #1 seed this year and Cavs swept them.

A couple of years ago, Atlanta was the #1 seed, a 60-win team and they got swept.

It's easy to rack up win totals in the EC but in the playoffs a lot of those teams shrink and perform worse.

Boston looks like it has a very bright future but at a big moment, those young players couldn't perform.

Then again, maybe they were playing way above their heads and it finally caught up to him.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Philly looks like another up and comer with Embiid at center, they made a lot of noise with their young core. Meanwhile Miami gave away their future and have to deal with an underperforming and disgruntled Hassan Whiteside. Hopefully Dion Waiters proves to live up to his draft reputation after his ankle surgery. He was playing great until he got it injured last year and this year it was no better.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:If the Cavs somehow upset the Warriors and win the title, then LeBron enters the conversation with Jordan as the GOAT. He's clearly No. 2 right now. But if he carries this lousy lineup to a title against a stacked Warriors' team, then he's 1B.

If LeBron would be able to pull it off...I don't think there is any doubt he's the GOAT and I've been a staunch Jordan supporter. 8 final appearances in a row and thats likely going to be 9 and still climbing next year depending on if he ends up in Philly or Houston.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm already in Lebron is the GOAT territory...even if he loses this finals. He's been in a crappier conference each year, yes, but he's also had FAR less to work with year in and year out in Cleveland as far as a supporting cast. And I hate Lebron the guy...but I can't deny his greatness on the floor. He's my 1A and Jordan is 1B...if Lebron wins another ring (which I have said he will not, even in the future), then he clearly is #1 all by himself.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah but he basically formed the Cavs team he wanted by getting big contracts for Thompson, JR and others, putting them way into the luxury tax and limiting their ability to make certain roster changes. Of course those players are repped by the agency in which he has part ownership.

However, he apparently is on the outs with Gilbert and his GM. After they won, he wouldn't talk to either.

Yet his best chance to continue title runs is probably stay in the East, unless Houston acquires him -- long shot but not impossible if they want to give up a lot of their rotational players and/or he and CP3 take a lot less than the $30-40 million a year both could command.

He's going to end up with most of the significant regular season and playoffs stats and equaling or surpassing MJ's ring total is still in play but he'd still have to be dominant at age 36 and 37.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Both MJ and LeBron are crappy GMs, that's for sure.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

When I first asked if LeBron is the G.O.A.T. I wanted to gauge the responses. After what he pretty much pulled off by himself with a crappy Cavaliers team without a Kyrie Irving and no Kevin Love in Gm7 should put him in the Jordan consideration. That was a pretty good Celtics team he beat even without Irving and Heyward in the lineup.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Wow you gotta feel for JR Smith, that was Bill Buckner-esk. The Cavs were in a prime spot to have taken the lead and steal GM 1 with seconds left and as usual LBJ had a monster game.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Wow you gotta feel for JR Smith, that was Bill Buckner-esk. The Cavs were in a prime spot to have taken the lead and steal GM 1 with seconds left and as usual LBJ had a monster game.
Why? Buckner made a physical mistake. JR made a mental mistake. The first rule of every player on the court in a close game is to know the score. That idiot broke the rule and then lied about it after the game.

The biggest mental error in a basketball game since Chris Webber called a time out in the NCAA final when Michigan had none left.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Wow you gotta feel for JR Smith, that was Bill Buckner-esk. The Cavs were in a prime spot to have taken the lead and steal GM 1 with seconds left and as usual LBJ had a monster game.
Why? Buckner made a physical mistake. JR made a mental mistake. The first rule of every player on the court in a close game is to know the score. That idiot broke the rule and then lied about it after the game.

The biggest mental error in a basketball game since Chris Webber called a time out in the NCAA final when Michigan had none left.
When I made the comment, the general consensus from the media was that JR Smith must've thought the Cavs were ahead. I was watching the press conference and the questions LBJ was getting a lot of was, did JR think that they were ahead?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Of course JR thought the Cavs were ahead. He just lacked the balls to admit it.

What player gets an offensive rebound with four seconds left, knowing it's a tie game, and dribbles toward mid-court to run out the clock? An idiot who doesn't know the score.

JR's claims he was looking to drift to shoot a three or find LeBron for a pass at the top of the key are equal parts ridiculous and hilarious. He's a moron. Always has been.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

pk500 wrote:Of course JR thought the Cavs were ahead. He just lacked the balls to admit it.

What player gets an offensive rebound with four seconds left, knowing it's a tie game, and dribbles toward mid-court to run out the clock? An idiot who doesn't know the score.

JR's claims he was looking to drift to shoot a three or find LeBron for a pass at the top of the key are equal parts ridiculous and hilarious. He's a moron. Always has been.
I'm a Cavs fan(well as much as I don't care for the NBA because of officiating, ticky tack calls, overruling charges in the last 2 minutes,,imagine that scenario in the NHL,,swallow your whistles bitches and let em play) and your dead on Paul, JR was brain dead on arrival.
But going back to the GOAT conversation, I'll pose this question to all in regards to LeBron and the Cavs lack of supporting cast,as opposed to MJ and the Bulls ,,,and in all of your opinions,, if LeBron plays on Houston,OKC,San Antonio,and I'll even throw in New Orleans,, with their lineups,, is that enough to tip the balance of putting those teams over Golden State ? That might be enough to consider LeBron one of the greatest. Any thoughts ?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

He's going to own a lot of all-time records, especially playoffs records, because he's been able to play since he was a rookie and he's still at the top of his game, after 15 seasons.

It's early in this series. He could still tie or exceed MJ in rings if he wins the next 3 or 4. That would mean he'd be still playing great at age 37 or 38.

He could certainly join Houston (though if he won this series, how could he leave Cleveland, even though he hates Gilbert with the heat of a 1000 suns) next season but Houston would have to renounce several of their rotational players in order to give big contracts to Chris Paul and him, in addition to what's already committed to Harden.

Of course he could play for 1/3 or 1/2 the max if he wants to be on that team or any other team badly enough. He has a $1 billion deal with Nike so his NBA contract isn't even the biggest part of his income.

But he wants to be a billionaire and own a franchise some day so I think he's going to get every last dime he's worth to NBA teams.

Dwayne Wade was saying when they on vacations together, to overseas destinations, Lebron won't turn on roaming on his phone because he doesn't want to pay the exorbitant roaming fees. You could definitely rack up thousands of dollars if you're not careful. But even $10k to Lebron is like $10 to ordinary folk.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

The dude almost single-handedly beat one of the greatest teams ever assembled last night. I don't think there is any doubt who the GOAT is at this point.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:The dude almost single-handedly beat one of the greatest teams ever assembled last night. I don't think there is any doubt who the GOAT is at this point.
Still plenty of doubt. Jordan was 6-0 in Finals. But LBJ definitely is No. 2 and climbing toward 1B status very quickly. His durability also is remarkable. More than 100 games and a TON of minutes over the last eight seasons.

People forget Jordan had a year off because Stern told him to go play baseball to avoid a potentially catastrophic gambling scandal for the NBA. There's almost no question Jordan was betting on games.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

From what i've seen that dude pull off at 33 y/o, i'd definitely put him at 1B right now easily, and he's doing it surrounded by NBA clowns like JR Smith. If it weren't for LBJ that team would not be in the NBA Finals and probably not even make the playoffs.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Prepare the brooms for action.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I'm sorry, Lebron might be a GOAT, but it'd be the word, and not the acronym. Jordan is in no danger.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood