Gran Turismo Sport Limited Time Demo

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Gran Turismo Sport Limited Time Demo

Post by sportdan30 »

Downloaded the beta last night but only was able to play for a half hour.

Game is absolutely stunning visually on the PS4 Pro. One of the best looking racers I've played. Now, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Forza 7 looks on the One X in 4K.

It's very playable with a controller. Handling felt good, albeit possibly a bit floaty.

I toyed around with a few single races as well as a time trial. I was quite impressed with the A.I. in that they weren't aggressive in bumping in to one another.

I didn't experience online racing, but will this evening. I prefer playing offline, so I'm not sure if this game offers enough substance. Hopefully it does because this game is fun...and did I mention gorgeous?!?!?!?!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Gran Turismo Sport Limited Time Demo

Post by J_Cauthen »

I downloaded it this morning and it's a heck of a demo! It's hard for me to make a reasonable comparison between it and Forza 7, since I don't have a force-feedback steering wheel and pedals for my PS4, as I do my XBox One. Still, it feels pretty good with the DS4 controller, even though I suck out loud with ANY racing game on any hand held controller.

The AI drivers seem to be a little more independent than the other GT game I've played, although they still seem to behave to act like a school of fish about 2/3 of the time. I like the driving feel of the game, even through the controller, although I imagine it would be a special treat with a wheel.

GT Sport is a feast for the eyes, even on my standard PS4. There are places where it's a bit lacking that seem out of place. For example, the grandstands at the oval track almost look like something out of the previous gen. OTOH, the off road course in Colorado looks incredibly organic. This game must look awesome on a PS4 Pro and a 4K display!

If this game catches fire, I can almost see myself buying a Cronus Max Drive Hub (which is getting rave reviews) so I can use my Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition with the PS4 and GT Sport.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I really enjoy the scheduled on-line races, but man, I wish the DS4 was a better driving controller. I have no interest in a wheel setup, but sure would like something closer to the XBOX controller configuration...

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I only had about 30 minutes to play, but this demo just didn't click. The graphics are amazing, that's for sure. The interactions and contact with other cars felt the same as the PS2 days, maybe the menus feeling dated as well put me off before even jumping into a car. And maybe I'm just too used to Forza these days and don't have the time/willingness to re-learn the GT way of doing things.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Dave wrote:I only had about 30 minutes to play, but this demo just didn't click. The graphics are amazing, that's for sure. The interactions and contact with other cars felt the same as the PS2 days, maybe the menus feeling dated as well put me off before even jumping into a car. And maybe I'm just too used to Forza these days and don't have the time/willingness to re-learn the GT way of doing things.
Funny, the GTS menu's are one of my favorite parts of the demo. They make sense and it's quick to navigate. Forza is just a confusing mess for me. :)

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

i've enjoyed the demo and have no issues with the controller and yes, It's beyond good looking. Having spent so much time with pcars2, the cars in GT feel heavy while Pcars feel a bit lighter, a bit more responsive. Technically the game seems to be darn near flawless. I've had no frame rate issues. The livery editor is a nice addition and the photo mode is a fun tool to play with.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It's on sale for preorder at Newegg.com for $49.99 (Standard) and $59.99 (Limited)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The first review is out and it's from Eurogamer and it reads more like a 7/10 score. The one bright spot is the drivability of the cars and the weight transfer model used, which for me is unequalled in any console racing game. Besides that Forza 7 is still the king of console racing games. An internet connection is required for most modes.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

My rental is on its way from Game Fly. And I presume all I'll need is a few days with this game. I'm very disappointed that it doesn't have any sort of career mode. Sure, it has these offline challenges and an arcade mode, but the real meat of the game is online. And I'm very disinterested in racing online, what with my lack of skill on the sticks. I'm still looking forward to playing and maybe it'll surprise me.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I'm really digging this game. Probably the best on-line racing experience I've ever had. I'm not a top tier racer by any means, so each race is a challenge to keep position or pick up 5-6 spots. What stands out for me is the quality of racing - people really trying to race clean - and the lack of any significant "warping" by the other cars on the track due to lag.

I'm not a big career mode fan or car-collector so this game is right up my alley. The frame rate and graphics are just icing on the cake.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Our friends at Pretend Race Cars are not impressed with the finished product:

https://pretendracecars.net/2017/10/18/ ... ort-sucks/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Our friends at Pretend Race Cars are not impressed with the finished product:

Yikes...the hate is real thick.

I don't mind it...it's decent. Forza is significantly better of course.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Our friends at Pretend Race Cars are not impressed with the finished product:

Yikes...the hate is real thick.

I don't mind it...it's decent. Forza is significantly better of course.
I'm all for skepticism and cynicism in reviews, which at big sites are far too often influenced by publisher PR. But the guys at PRC hate most console racing games, so keep that in consideration when reading the site.

If PRC hates a game, it's still probably decent. If PRC thinks a game is mediocre, it's probably very good. If PRC likes a game, it's a race-gasm title.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Won't comment much, as I haven't played a GT game in years. That said, it's always seemed very vanilla to me. It's a driving simulator, but not a racing one. Again, that may have changed from GT2, but...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Very let down by the fact thus game is basically online only. GT has never been anything other than a good looking car collector. It was fun as hell back in the ps1 and ps2 days, before we were treated to REAL driving Sims. It's a good game, but it's as close to being a racing simulator as Mario is to being a plumber. Real cars don't sound like vacuum cleaners, and real cars don't handle at all like in GT. The damage model is also embarrassing. I would play the game for the license tests and to just experiment with cars on my own time. Online racing is exactly what I don't like. I don't need fierce competition or to be judged for how I drive. I work hard and use gaming as a way to relax. This new wanna be ultra competitive style of racing puts me off.

The fact they released a game with no true career mode is mind boggling to me. By all accounts forza is better in every way. For ps4 only people like me, I guess we are left out in the cold. Thanks for nothing, GT.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:The fact they released a game with no true career mode is mind boggling to me. By all accounts forza is better in every way. For ps4 only people like me, I guess we are left out in the cold. Thanks for nothing, GT.
If you like racing games in general you shouldn't be PS4 only. Unless you need MLB The Show or some other Sony published games, you should just switch over to the XB1 anyway. That's the lesson here.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:The fact they released a game with no true career mode is mind boggling to me. By all accounts forza is better in every way. For ps4 only people like me, I guess we are left out in the cold. Thanks for nothing, GT.
If you like racing games in general you shouldn't be PS4 only. Unless you need MLB The Show or some other Sony published games, you should just switch over to the XB1 anyway. That's the lesson here.
I only play games for about 1-2h a week now days. I definitely think I'll hop on the next Xbox console.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

sportdan30 wrote:Big update coming to GT Sport..... :D

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/11 ... ague-more/
With a whole lotta offline play. I wasn’t “wowed” by the demo, but I do like that they’re bringing back all those single player cup races.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Murph wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Big update coming to GT Sport..... :D

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/11 ... ague-more/
With a whole lotta offline play. I wasn’t “wowed” by the demo, but I do like that they’re bringing back all those single player cup races.
I agree. I'm going to wait and read some impressions before I consider purchasing. Also leaning toward waiting for a sale.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

I enjoyed the demo. The full release has the best multiplayer racing I’ve experienced on a console. Reasonably clean racing, full qualifying, safety rating & driver rating. It’s a lot like playing iRacing on a console.

The negatives
Limited number of tracks
Limited number of cars

I’ve played it a ton and I’m really enjoying it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

WPatrick wrote:I enjoyed the demo. The full release has the best multiplayer racing I’ve experienced on a console. Reasonably clean racing, full qualifying, safety rating & driver rating. It’s a lot like playing iRacing on a console.

The negatives
Limited number of tracks
Limited number of cars

I’ve played it a ton and I’m really enjoying it.
Supposedly that's all changing with a major update tomorrow, then in December another big update to add more features cars and tracks. Initially I had my doubts re: Gran Turismo Sport because it was billed as a game built from scratch. GT still has the best driving model of any console game, including Forza. That said Forza is still the better value if you own an XONE.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I downloaded the 1.6GB update this morning and I didn’t see anything new that was added in the game. No new cars or game modes.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:I downloaded the 1.6GB update this morning and I didn’t see anything new that was added in the game. No new cars or game modes.
New Cars – The following 3 cars have been added.

Iso Rivolta Zagato Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.X)
Audi R18 (Audi Sport Team Joest)(Gr.1)
Shelby Cobra 427 (N500)

Physics Simulation Model – Some elements of the car physics simulation model have been improved. This can be noticed especially in the handling of commercial cars, which exhibit less grip on the road. – Control management of the ABS when set to ‘Standard’ has been adjusted, improving handling under braking conditions. – Control management for rear wheel drive cars when TCS is set higher than ‘2’ has been adjusted, raising stability at corner exits.

Campaign Mode – You can now play the Campaign Mode while offline. – In line with the improvements in the physics simulation model, the difficulty level of the Driving School and Mission Challenge were adjusted. – As a consequence of the change to the above difficulty levels, the ranking boards of the Driving School, Mission Challenge, and Circuit Experience have been reset (This has no impact on game progress and the Gold/Silver/Bronze results achieved before the reset).

Livery Editor – You can now use the Livery Editor while offline. – You can now create and edit liveries of a car even when it is not selected as a current car. – You can now apply car liveries to cars loaned for the Manufacturer Series. (*you can enter races in the Manufacturer Series with custom car liveries applied. )

Museum – A Museum has been added to Bugatti in Brand Central.

Race Screen – There is now a warning indicator when the remaining fuel is low.

Sound – You can now adjust the balance of sound effects during gameplay. Adjustments can be made in [Options] -> [Sound Volume].

Scapes – It is now possible to play with the Scapes feature while offline. – “Autumn Leaves” has been added to the featured collection. In line with this, a few new Photo Spots have been added.

Sports Mode – You can now download and playback the replays of top ranking drivers in the Daily Race Qualifying Time Attack Rankings. – An antenna display now indicates the connection status/quality in the member lists. – The judgement algorithm of the Sportsmanship Rating (SR) has been improved. In the screen indications, it is also now possible to see the reductions in the SR of not only yourself but of other drivers involved in a contact incident with your car.

Sports Mode / Lobby – It is now possible to select a preset chat text when entering text chat. – You can now set an automatic greetings message for when you enter a lobby. The settings for this greetings text can be performed in [My Menu] -> [Profile Settings]. (*Up to 40characters) Various other problems and stability issues have been improved.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I know there isn't much interest in this version of Gran Turismo but I gotta say that i'm pretty happy with the game. Sony has come thru and backed up their promises to beef up the game and they have with more modes, cars and tracks. While I think the Forza series has eclipsed Gran Turismo in an overall package, the handling and physics in Gran Turismo is sooo convincing and believable. It's almost like you are driving a real car and not a videogame car.