Forza 7

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: Forza 7

Post by AcemanPR »

I have the Ultimate Edition all ready to go. Mainly because I will have a chance to play some this weekend, I won't be able to next weekend. Plus I would have gotten the Deluxe Edition regardless, so spending a little extra to play quite a bit this weekend is worth it to me.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Got my mitts on the full Forza 7 tonight.

The full game drives much better than the demo. It feels great. Predictable handling with a controller, with properly different weight transfer and physics for each car. It's ... the Forza you know and probably love or have loved at one time.

No bugs. No flaws. Seamless. Optimized. Compatible. Beautiful. Quality.

It's so cool to have the Maple Valley track back in the game, too!

I have an 8-year-old Panasonic plasma TV, but damned if Forza 7 isn't the prettiest video game I've seen. You cats with 4K HDR sets will sauce your knickers once you play this on the XB1X.

Can't wait to dig much deeper into this game. I'm seeing hundreds of hours of my life gleefully pass as I play. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I've gotten the prelude and first championship of races completed in Forza 7. Like Paul said, this game is beautiful!! Can't imagine how great this will look in 4K, as it is the best and most smooth running videogame I have seen! I didn't play the demo, but I had no problems with the controls. Yeah, the Porsche felt heavy to drive, but I was able to get around Dubai with it no problem. The audio is extremely well done! Get in the grass and you'll hear the dirt trapped around the tire walls. I haven't gotten to play on Maple Valley yet, but having Suzuka back is awesome, really missed that track alot!

I can't wait to dive into more of this over the weekend!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good point on Suzuka, Ace. Forgot about its welcome return! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Happy to hear the early, positive feedback. I'll be grabbing my copy later today and can't wait to dig into the game.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Great to hear all the positive impressions! I have to wait a little over a month before I'll be able to play it on the Xbox One X.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

AcemanPR wrote:The audio is extremely well done! Get in the grass and you'll hear the dirt trapped around the tire walls.
Sure seems like Turn10 focused a lot on the audio this time around. The detail is an upgrade over what I remember from previous Forzas.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Driving the 1988 McLaren F1 car last night in a Track Day challenge in Forza 7, slicing through a ton of slow street cars, was one of the most intense, fun experiences I've ever had in virtual racing.

Such a f*cking blast.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote:Got my mitts on the full Forza 7 tonight.

The full game drives much better than the demo. It feels great. Predictable handling with a controller, with properly different weight transfer and physics for each car. It's ... the Forza you know and probably love or have loved at one time.

No bugs. No flaws. Seamless. Optimized. Compatible. Beautiful. Quality.

It's so cool to have the Maple Valley track back in the game, too!

I have an 8-year-old Panasonic plasma TV, but damned if Forza 7 isn't the prettiest video game I've seen. You cats with 4K HDR sets will sauce your knickers once you play this on the XB1X.

Can't wait to dig much deeper into this game. I'm seeing hundreds of hours of my life gleefully pass as I play. :)
Really great to read this report... mostly what I'm reading about on the official forum is 2D trees and less detailed textures in trackside objects. I'm not so sure that would be of concern to me while tooling along at 160 mph!

I don't know how I avoided ordering the Ultimate Edition so I could be playing now, but I'm having to be a little more frugal in my budget management, now that my wife has retired from her full time job.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Game is just flat out gorgeous with the cars, tracks and the lighting at different times of the day and weather conditions, really can't wait to see this in 4K.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm glad post demo impressions are positive which is why I wanted to wait for the retail release to see if the game would play different and based on impressions and reviews that looks to be the case. Turn 10 puts out quality stuff so I wanted to wait and give them the benefit of the doubt.

In a couple of months I should be able to snag the game for free.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Maybe it is just due to dumb luck/randomness from a small sample, but I'm finding the AI does a much better job of racing this year. They seem to fight really hard to stay alongside to force a tighter/wider corner, the series with modern touring cars was probably the best pure racing I've experienced yet with a Forza game.

It is also nice that you can adjust races to be longer, so far I'm keeping them short to help progress through tiers/levels faster. But it was really hard to make the podium in the Formula E series with such short races, so eventually I'll probably increase the distance.

Speaking of progression, anyone else surprised by the change to VIP rewards? I'll admit to not reading much about it before the game launched and it wasn't the main reason for buying the Ultimate Edition, but VIP is significantly less valuable this time around.

But maybe Microsoft wasn't clear about the changes? Here's some info from this US Gamer article that indicates that might be the case.

Overall I don't really care much for the new leveling system, mainly the addition of Car tiers or whatever they call it. I want to buy an IndyCar, but have to spend a bunch of in-game money buying other cars before the game will let me buy one. Annoying. But at least the game hands out free cars like candy to help with the progress at least.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

So far, very mixed bag for me. I am glad the handling/physics seems to be much better than what the demo was showing. I don't like the default FFB with a wheel, but it isn't terrible, and I am sure I will find someone's settings that will work.

The VIP thing is a big rip off this time around, and they were not forthcoming about it. See screenshots after MS/Turn 10 realized their mistake.
Original VIP Info:
https://imgur.com/a/IQzi4#mUGgPOG
Dan Greenwalt (Turn 10) response:
https://mobile.twitter.com/dan_greenawa ... 8345917440
Current VIP Info:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... dx15r823w1

However, there is a huge missing piece for me that I cannot fathom. It appears Turn 10 has removed Class Based Leaderboards for Rivals. The ability to race friends ghost laps has been a fun feature for me dating back to the original Forza. There is a big thread going on about it now. The answer appears to be that they have moved to a Homologation system, which on the surface I don't see as a bad idea. To be honest, I always drive the cars stock first, with minimal tuning if at all, to see how they were originally intended to drive. Some of the crazy upgrade combinations achievable in past Forza games were too unrealistic for me. However, even with this homologation system in the game, there does not seem to be a way for you to run hotlaps at any track you want and compare times across Homologation or Class Leaderboards. The information coming from Brian and Turn 10 is not promising. The forums are ablaze:

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn ... ost_782972

Homologation & Forza Motorsport 7 - https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/wir_9_22_17

With Forza Motorsport 7 we’re changing perceptions of what players expect from a racing game, whether you’re talking about hundreds of cars spanning decades of automotive history, dynamic track conditions that mean every race is a unique experience, all the way to how we convey the look, sound, and feel of driving cars at their limit. For longtime Forza fans, we’re going even deeper than that. Here, I’d like to spend some time talking about homologation in the game.

For Forza 7, our goal has been to ensure that any event in the game, be it in single player or online via Xbox Live, features a wide range of cars that are competitive with one another. Homologation is the process of upgrading or downgrading each car in the grid, using strict performance regulations that even the playing field and ensure that cars in the same division are always competitive with one another. This leaves the choice of which car to use not between a mere handful of “leaderboard cars” but rather puts that choice in the hands of the player and their individual preferences.

From the start, homologation is quite different from previous Forza Motorsport games. Like In the past, Car Class (and Performance Index) remains the backbone of the system. However, in previous Forza games, players had numerous ways to reach a class-based ceiling; for example, by boosting horsepower to absurd levels, even if the car was sitting on skinny tires. These became extreme boundary cases which made for extreme peaks and valleys in performance within any given class, and often lead to leaderboard cars. With Forza Motorsport 7 we’re challenging players to tune to homologation standards across multiple performance characteristics beyond Performance Index (PI). This approach naturally limits the most extreme boundary cases and therefore tightens the competitive set of cars.

All of the 700+ cars in the game fall into a specific division – for example, the Porsche 911 GT2 RS is part of the “Exotic GT” division, while the 2017 Ford Focus RS falls into the “Modern Hot Hatch” division. Naturally these two cars represent different levels of performance and, as with all cars in Forza 7, any car can be upgraded and tuned to performance peaks that are far beyond their stock form.

Where homologation comes into play is when it’s time to go racing. In both the Forza Driver’s Cup single player campaign and in multiplayer events created by Turn 10, cars will be homologated to certain performance standards based on their division. These divisions can be applied in Free Play and Private Lobbies as well. These homologation standards will be across several performance characteristics – tire compound, tire width, horsepower, and Performance Index (PI). In order for a particular car to compete in a homologated event, it will need to meet the performance standards inherent to that event. For example an event in the Exotic GT series might allow only “Sport” tire compounds with a maximum tire width of 355, a maximum of 750 horsepower, and a PI ceiling of 800. While cars can and will fall under those performance caps, any build that exceeds those numbers will not be eligible to compete.

As an example illustrated by the screenshot above, I’ve been working on my 2002 Chevrolet Camaro 35th Anniversary Super Sport, a car that is classified in the “Sport Touring Icons” division. The homologation restrictions for racing within that division call for a Street tire compound, with tire width not to exceed 305. In addition, there’s a horsepower cap of 500hp and an overall PI ceiling of 575. As you can see, my current build exceeds these homologation standards in three different areas – tire width, horsepower, and overall PI. While I can continue to build this car as I like, in order to race this Camaro within its homologated division, I’ll need to lower the tire width and remove the Racing Engine Block too.

Now, for those who aren’t expert tuners, we’ve made things easy to make sure that any vehicle you use can be easily brought up to competition standards. The quickest method is our new “auto-homologate” feature. With just a press of a button you can quickly and easily bring a vehicle up to spec and able to compete in a particular event. Even better, all the homologation-necessary parts are automatically included in the price of the car at purchase, meaning you won’t need to spend extra credits to go racing in your new ride.

For players who want some finer control over how they bring their car to homologation standards, you’ll always have a clear understanding of what the homologation restrictions are for an event, thanks to a handy screen that displays the event restrictions and your car’s current settings. You’ll have flexibility to adjust your car upgrades and you’ll get immediate feedback if your performance crosses an event’s threshold.

It’s important to note that homologation does not mean that all homologated cars will behave in precisely the same way. After all, this is Forza, and each car in the game will still feel completely unique in the way our fans expect. This includes highly complex characteristics such as chassis flex, suspension architecture, wheel-base, and moment of inertia. Indeed, certain cars within homologated events will be better for specific tracks (for example, think of speed tracks like Daytona and Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where horsepower will be king). Homologation means that players will be able to have more cars to choose from within each division they play in. Instead of having a handful of “go-to” cars per class, now players are encouraged to build a garage full of event-specific rides just waiting for their turn on the track.

The introduction of homologation in Forza Motorsport 7 is an important evolution to our racing standards in Forza, and a feature that we believe all players will benefit from, regardless of their skill level and experience.
This post kind of sums it up:
I can't believe this. I played the single player for a few hours and enjoyed myself but then decided I wanted to do some hotlapping and see how I stack up. I go into Rivals and can't find where the classes are? I think to myself, "They have to be somewhere?!?", and continue looking all over because where am supposed to see how my upgraded civic can do in the B class?

They don't even have leaderboards for each homologation. It seems they "might" be coming at somepoint. I spent $100 on a game and now they removed the reason I play it. I don't want to have to tediously set up a free play sessions to hot lap. I can't race my own ghost anywhere that I know of either. This is a true disappointment and I can't understand this design choice?

Trying to force me to play how they want and probably buy some crates and tokens eventually along the way I'm guessing. I know I'll probably eventually finish the campaign and then not really do much with it unless they have a real time attack mode again.

Thanks for really blowing it Turn 10.
One thing I just don't understand is why they have never implemented custom Hotlap sessions like Codemasters did with F1 2013 or have not added web based online leaderboards like Forza 4 had. Lots of steps backwards. Even simple things, like in the Buy Cars section you can no longer filter/sort based on Price, if you can afford it, and if you own it already. Very common practice when collecting is pulling up only unowned, only what you can currently afford, and then sort by price. Can't do that anymore. Strange. I also don't like how the time of day settings are set in stone. For example, if you pick day at the Top Gear test track it seems to be very late in the afternoon. Very hard to see and some weird shadows. It would be nice to have a couple of different day options. Give me a clear day in the middle of the afternoon. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

What???? That's the entirety of my play in the Forza series. Racing the ghosts of you guys...and now I can't do that? Dammit, I wonder if I can cancel my pre-order that goes live tonight.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hmm. I wondered where the class-based Rivals racing went. Hope this can be patched.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:What???? That's the entirety of my play in the Forza series. Racing the ghosts of you guys...and now I can't do that? Dammit, I wonder if I can cancel my pre-order that goes live tonight.
You can do it, but not yet by class. There are about five categories of Rivals racing, with about five track-and-car combinations in each.

Still there. Not nearly as robust.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:What???? That's the entirety of my play in the Forza series. Racing the ghosts of you guys...and now I can't do that? Dammit, I wonder if I can cancel my pre-order that goes live tonight.
You can do it, but not yet by class. There are about five categories of Rivals racing, with about five track-and-car combinations in each.

Still there. Not nearly as robust.
But that's the point...to use the same class cars to see if I can get a slower car around the track faster or whatever. So disappointed. I'll likely keep the pre-order, only because it probably will get added if enough b*tch about it.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I downloaded Forza 7 just before I left for work this morning and got to play around with it for about an hour this evening. I started my career out with a 64 Ferrari in the Grand Prix Classics cup. I found it quite enjoyable. I have a Thrustmaster TX force feedback steering wheels and pedals. The default settings I knew would be too strong and I dialed them back to close to the settings I'd used in the demo. It felt great, even with settings I know I'll dial in much closer to what I want. I love how I can feel individual tires losing grip via the force feedback!

So far I'm impressed with what I'm seeing and the way the Drivatars are performing. I have them set to average and they're a perfect challenge for me right now. I'll get to have some serious time with it after I get home from work tomorrow night, as I'll have 9 days in a row off! I haven't really noticed the drop in texture quality and detail, that a number of folks are criticising, in trackside graphics while driving. The cars, tracks, curbs, walls, etc., are all rendered in the same detail, if not better, than Forza 6, IMO.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The game looks just fantastic on a 4K HDR TV, amazing. The effects on a rainy surface is so real life like, really nice to see. I can imagine how great it would look on the Xbox One X.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

A Letter to the Forza Community - Alan Hartman - Turn 10 Studio Head

https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/ ... nch_Update
Since Forza Motorsport 7 launched into early access last week, everyone here at Turn 10 has been keeping a close eye on our players’ feedback. The most important thing to us is to maintain open communication with the Forza Community. We’ve heard what you have had to say and, starting today, you can expect some significant changes.

VIP and Ultimate
Over the weekend we heard loud and clear from Ultimate Edition owners expressing frustration over the VIP membership offer in Forza Motorsport 7. We immediately updated the VIP description in the Windows Store to alleviate any future confusion. As head of the studio, I apologize for any confusion or frustration our players may have experienced.

Going forward, we will continue to ensure that Forza Motorsport 7 VIPs receive the most value for their VIP membership, including new experiences and great content. Starting today we’re sending all Forza Motorsport 7 VIPs four additional Forza Edition cars:

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE Project 7 Forza Edition
2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Forza Edition
2017 Acura NSX Forza Edition
2010 Maserati Gran Turismo S Forza Edition

Forza 7 VIPs will be able to download all these cars from the in-game message center and add them to their car collection. Players will not only enjoy an immediate bump to their Car Collection score after adding these Tier 5 Legendary cars to their garages, they’ll also be able to take advantage of the inherent perks that each of these Forza Edition cars offer. In addition to the cars, we’re also sending all Forza 7 VIPs 1 million credits.

Secondly, and even more significantly, we will be changing VIP rewards in Forza Motorsport 7. This new system will work like it did in Forza Motorsport 6, offering a 2X base credit bonus after every race. We’ve already started work on this feature and we will release it as soon as possible. Look for more information on this update as we near the release date.

PC Stability and Performance
Since the launch of Forza Motorsport 7 on Windows 10 PCs, I’ve been delighted to see so many players enjoying the Windows 10 version on a huge variety of PC hardware configurations. We’ve enjoyed seeing feedback from fans who are praising how Forza 7 plays on their personal PCs. That said, we are aware of stability and performance issues that some PC players are facing. The team is working around the clock to report, investigate, and resolve these issues as quickly as possible. In fact, our first update for the game went live yesterday, addressing several PC stability and performance issues. The quality of the PC experience will continue to be a top priority.

If you are experiencing a technical issue with Forza Motorsport 7, please let us know, either in our Technical Support forums here on the site, via Twitter, or by sending us an e-mail at forzafb@microsoft.com.

From everyone here at Turn 10, I’d like to personally thank you all for playing Forza Motorsport 7. We’re glad you’re here. Your passion for racing and Forza inspires and drives us every day.

Sincerely,
Alan
Some good news here for VIP and Ultimate owners. No mention of Leaderboard Rivals being restored, or the return of adding AI to fill out a multiplayer lobby. I will say the few Rivals challenges they have are a nice mix of car/track combinations and I have enjoyed trying to race down Paul, only to see my time beaten in the early AM. If there had not been 6 other Forza games before this one I would probably be enjoying it for what it has, and not so focused on what it doesn't have, but some of the omissions/changes are baffling, but it does explain why there was so little press or hype about new features leading up to release other than the car/track list. No doubt Turn 10 will rectify it in some way.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That's pretty cool, at least. I gotta say, STARTING my career in a Lotus 49 with all assists except clutch disabled is sure different for the series...getting that sucker around Spa in the rain was interesting, to say the least.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sad that last years Project Cars can do 3440x1440 on the PC and Forza 7 can't. Pathetic. Looks good with all the detail up, but just hate those black bars on the sides.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Is anyone else as shocked as I am over how long it takes to load a track in Forza 7 on the XBox One? It seems like it takes anywhere from a minute and half to two minutes. I don't recall it being that long in Forza 6.

I'm still really enjoying the game as I've done my share of career, free play, and multiplayer so far, and they've all been a blast to play! I happened into a hot hatch hopper today that had mostly sporting racers in it, once the wheat got separated from the chaff in the first lap... it's hard to beat when you're in among a group who races honorably 8)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

J_Cauthen wrote:Is anyone else as shocked as I am over how long it takes to load a track in Forza 7 on the XBox One? It seems like it takes anywhere from a minute and half to two minutes. I don't recall it being that long in Forza 6.

I'm still really enjoying the game as I've done my share of career, free play, and multiplayer so far, and they've all been a blast to play! I happened into a hot hatch hopper today that had mostly sporting racers in it, once the wheat got separated from the chaff in the first lap... it's hard to beat when you're in among a group who races honorably 8)
Yeah, it's painfully long. I end up playing on my PC most of the time as it's half that. Still too long IMO...

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Yeah, the load times are annoying.

One thing I noticed is that at least with the cockpit view, the IndyCar is a lot more 'violent' ride this year. I was trying the Josef Newgarden Rivals event and completely messed up turn 1 at Road America on my first lap because of how bumpy it was on the straightaway. Not sure if it is Turn 10 trying to more accurately model the stiffness of an IndyCar or if they re-scanned the track, but I thought it added a lot of intensity to the driving.