NBA Live 18

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Live 18

Post by sportdan30 »

Rockets and Celtics added to the NBA Live 18 demo via an update.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Rockets and Celtics added to the NBA Live 18 demo via an update.
They are definitely making the effort. Like I said, I'll be getting the game simply due to the $34.99 EA Access price tag. That and I like what I have seen.

2K still looks badass though 8)
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

10 hour trial now available on EA access, 29.72 GB.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

After being pleasantly surprised w/ the demo, the full game really has some pretty bad issues. It's pretty much still a turd.

Animations around the hoop are ridiculously fast and they skip a ton of frames so it speeds up as you're trying to do moves on offense or time your jump on D. The ball always seems to find it's way on top of the hoop even if you've got multiple defenders there waiting to block the shot. It's WAAAAY overdone. The passing is bad too...even with the little aiming lines on, it is tough to get it to go to a specific player without using icon passing.

The ball physics still are terrible on the backboard and rim. A lot of times the guys are jumping for the rebound before the ball even hits the rim, resulting in the ball essentially warping to their hands.

The shooting animations are all almost the same...very litter variation in timing and form. That's one thing that makes 2k great is the shots are almost all different so you have to memorize timings for each player. Shooting with Curry should be WAY faster than shooting w/ Melo (ball stopping notwithstanding).

Commentary is laughably bad...kind of like Van Gundy in real life as a color guy.

The biggest issue to me is the animations around the rim. It makes it almost unplayable for me after playing years of 2k, and their fantastic interactions around the hoop. It's night and day.

About the only saving grace is the options in the game...tons of game modes.

I was tempted to get it to have a change of pace from 2k, but after my 10 hours is up, I'm saving my 35 bucks...

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:After being pleasantly surprised w/ the demo, the full game really has some pretty bad issues. It's pretty much still a turd.

Animations around the hoop are ridiculously fast and they skip a ton of frames so it speeds up as you're trying to do moves on offense or time your jump on D. The ball always seems to find it's way on top of the hoop even if you've got multiple defenders there waiting to block the shot. It's WAAAAY overdone. The passing is bad too...even with the little aiming lines on, it is tough to get it to go to a specific player without using icon passing.

The ball physics still are terrible on the backboard and rim. A lot of times the guys are jumping for the rebound before the ball even hits the rim, resulting in the ball essentially warping to their hands.

The shooting animations are all almost the same...very litter variation in timing and form. That's one thing that makes 2k great is the shots are almost all different so you have to memorize timings for each player. Shooting with Curry should be WAY faster than shooting w/ Melo (ball stopping notwithstanding).

Commentary is laughably bad...kind of like Van Gundy in real life as a color guy.

The biggest issue to me is the animations around the rim. It makes it almost unplayable for me after playing years of 2k, and their fantastic interactions around the hoop. It's night and day.

I was tempted to get it to have a change of pace from 2k, but after my 10 hours is up, I'm saving my 35 bucks...
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:After being pleasantly surprised w/ the demo, the full game really has some pretty bad issues. It's pretty much still a turd.

I don't disagree with a lot of this. It is still better than the last one and, as you said, has a number of modes. Plus the price ($35) is thought to beat. I wasn't expecting an NBA 2k18 overtaking but its a nice step in the right direction. Hopefully they are good with patching it. Seems like the devs are eager to get to the next level.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Honestly, I played quite bit of this last night, and I think I kind of loved it. It is still several levels behind 2K in terms of animations and gameplay, but I kind of dug that simplicity like the old NBA Live. Like before, I just feel like I am controlling my players more than in 2K.

And the NBA is so perfect for UT, even though LUT seems awfully shallow compared to MUT and FUT. Basketball is such a star driven league, that a mode that emphasizes individual players is perfect.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I agree with everything you said Scott. I do enjoy the more than when I first played the demo. And there's no question the PS4 Pro looks quite a bit better than on the Xbox One S version. I'm sure it'll look great on the X in 4K.

That said, the ball physics just bother me to no end. Weird bounces on the rim and limited bounces on the rim and backboard for that matter. Bounce passes look really strange especially when passing to someone close by.

On default sliders, getting to the rim is too easy and the animation results in the player almost always making the basket. I was on a fast break and tried to pull up just past the free throw line but the animation drove me to the basket to attempt a lay up. And we talk about the 2K game's animations getting in it's own way.

I don't care for the introduction of the game (crappy music and slow motion). The halftime show is atrocious. The commentary sounds robotic and is extremely generic with regards to certain players.

It's a great first effort back for the series and I think the game will be much better next year. Until then, I am passing on the game as well.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Bought Live and it's great and most importantly for me the fun factor is extremely high. It's been a long time since I chose an NBA game over a hockey game.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

BB has it on sale on their website and on Ebay for $29.99

If you order it on Ebay you can take advantage of the free shipping glitch as you only get free shipping with orders over $35 on the BB website. I had $1.21 in Ebay Bucks so out the door with tax it cost me under $31.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I’m still having fun Live. It doesn’t have the animations of 2K but it has made a nice leap. Pretty big patch released today which added features including 3 v 3 in the Live Run. I really enjoy LUT also.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Yeah, for as much better of an overall game that 2K really is, Live has something about it that is more fun. It might be that I am just not that good, and Live is more forgiving. In 2K, you create those cool shots, while in Live, it seems to pick the animation for the shot you are making. And really, since I play with real shooting %'s, that is perfect for me.

I played with the Sixers last night, and seriously, it might be the only team I play with ever again. Embiid is too much fun. He might be overpowered, as he is just as powerful as Shaq, but as nimble and as sure a shot as Durant. At least until I get him on my LUT team, the Sixers are my team.
Last edited by Aristo on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Aristo wrote:Yeah, for as much better of an overall game that 2K really is, Live has something about it that is more fun. It might be that I am just not that good, and Live is more forgiving. In 2K, you create those cool shots, while in Live, it seems to pick the animations,ation for the shot you are making. And really, since I play with real shooting %'s, that is perfect for me.

I played with Sixers last night, and seriously, it might be the only team I play with ever again. Embiid is too much fun. He might be overpowered, as he is just as powerful as Shaq, but but as nimble and as sure a shot as Durant. At least until i get him on my LUT team, the Sixers are my team.
Sixers are my team. I have Embiid on my LUT. 7’2” with post moves AND can shoot the 3 :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

For those still playing this amazing game, the new patch 1.08 now has roster editing. Props to the NBA Live team for giving the fans what they've been asking for. Live is easily my sports game of the year.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Yeah, I finally unpinned 2K and added this to my home screen. I’m playing it more than Madden at this point. I may finally even get my player leveled up so I can start playing 3 on 3 online. It’s a great mode, but I have a lot to learn still, and my player is just a 71 OVR.
Last edited by Aristo on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Aristo wrote:Yeah, I finally unpinned 2K and added this to my home screen. I’m playing it more than Madden at this point. I may finally even get my player leveled up so I can start playing 3 on 3 online. It’s a great mode, but I have a lo learn still, andcmy player is just a 71 OVR.
3 on 3 is great. My player is at like an 84 right now.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

So a buddy and I both bought this game recently completely figuring we could play each other online. Only to find out that there is no head to head online mode for friends. WTF?!? I don’t think I’ve EVER seen a sports game without this feature.

Anyone know if there is talk of an update to ensnare this feature?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:So a buddy and I both bought this game recently completely figuring we could play each other online. Only to find out that there is no head to head online mode for friends. WTF?!? I don’t think I’ve EVER seen a sports game without this feature.

Are you serious? That cannot possibly be true.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Spooky wrote:So a buddy and I both bought this game recently completely figuring we could play each other online. Only to find out that there is no head to head online mode for friends. WTF?!? I don’t think I’ve EVER seen a sports game without this feature.

Are you serious? That cannot possibly be true.
I'm 99% sure it's true. I tried researching it and it looks like a thing others have complained about. Unless we are all just completely missing something.

You can play online but the only option is to just search for a random game matchup. No possible way to play a "private" match.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Anyone have NBA Live 18 Xbox One X enhanced impressions? Information is spotty about this online (it's confirmed, but don't see many people talking about it).

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I’m playing on the X, and it looks and feels great. It’s 4K textures only, no HDR.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Aristo wrote:I’m playing on the X, and it looks and feels great. It’s 4K textures only, no HDR.
Plus the frame rate is MUCH improved.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Great! I'm rediscovering my enjoyment of the NBA in general, so I could see myself grabbing this one.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

for those that have been thinking about purchasing it...

Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The good news about these price cuts is that NBA Live 18 probably will be in EA Access very soon. I really enjoy the game this year, as it's greatly improved and fun to play. But I'm probably not paying for it because it probably will be in Access within six weeks.

Just a guess.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425