The Beautiful Game thread, season 2017/18

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game thread, season 2017/18

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Belgium better not fall behind like they did against Japan.

De Bruyne seems to have a minor role compared to the way he plays for City. Seems like his role is not as one of Belgium's top players.
It’s a pretty obvious tactical decision. Given that Belgium has an iffy defensive back line, KDB has to play a lot deeper, supporting the backs. They let Hazard do most of the heavy lifting and creating up front. Between him and Mertens I’m assuming they think they have enough creators on the wings w/ Lukaku in the middle eating up defenders. KDB just doesn’t get forward as much as he does when he’s got other defensive minded midfielders like Fernandinho at his side w/ City.

KDB is by far my favorite player right now...so I spend a little too much time watching him and how he plays. That fast break last week was a thing of beauty and I think I’ve watched it about 50 times. Between he and Lukaku that was one spectacular play from start to finish.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

May have been nerves but France settled down pretty well after the initial 10 minutes using both their right and left FBs to join in their attacks (particularly Pavard) countering Uruguay’s narrow tight formation in the middle.

Big save by Lloris stopping Caceres, and again without Cavani, Suarez looks lost so far.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Note to K. Mbappe. You represent the next generation of superstars with your skills and speed. There’s no doubt that you will grace the cover of Fifa even in the next couple of years.

Leave the fake stuff to Neymar, don’t fall into that and you will have a bright career ahead.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Belgium better not fall behind like they did against Japan.

De Bruyne seems to have a minor role compared to the way he plays for City. Seems like his role is not as one of Belgium's top players.
It’s a pretty obvious tactical decision. Given that Belgium has an iffy defensive back line, KDB has to play a lot deeper, supporting the backs. They let Hazard do most of the heavy lifting and creating up front. Between him and Mertens I’m assuming they think they have enough creators on the wings w/ Lukaku in the middle eating up defenders. KDB just doesn’t get forward as much as he does when he’s got other defensive minded midfielders like Fernandinho at his side w/ City.

KDB is by far my favorite player right now...so I spend a little too much time watching him and how he plays. That fast break last week was a thing of beauty and I think I’ve watched it about 50 times. Between he and Lukaku that was one spectacular play from start to finish.
And now they did what I thought they should do against Brazil...moved KDB up!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

That sure has paid off so far.

Such a contrast between the two teams so far, Belgium playing strong on the ball and fighting through tackle attempts and Brazil having Neymar...
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

By starting Fellaini, Martinez frees up De Bruyne’s creativity to the point that he’s been key to this Belgium lead. Adding his physicality along Witsel’s presence has been key for the red team.

Casemiro is so important for the Brazillians in midfield and they are missing him. It’s still early, but if they are not careful, those Belgians counterattack’s could be deadly for them.

Brazil’s D now looks much in shambles much like Argentina’s back four. Firminho needs to start.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Brazils been more threatening, just couldn't finish.

OG and then the counter created by Lukaku's run is the difference.

Neymar supposedly deserved a yellow card for simulation in the box, which would make him ineligible for the next match should Brazil advance.

But Kompany gets away with a penalty in front of goal which should have been a PK.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:But Kompany gets away with a penalty in front of goal which should have been a PK.
That was not a PK, it went to VAR and confirmed. There was some contact but ball was already out of play.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Belgium trying to hang on.

Plenty of chances, elite finishing and it could be a completely different game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It’s hard to know why, but historically all SA teams have struggled playing a WC in Europe. Brazil controlled much of the tempo and gameplay of the match but just couldn’t solved a very well prepared Belgium side. They clearly struggled without Casemiro, Chadli did a wonderful job neutralizing Paulinho and Courtois saved a wonderful shot by Neymar towards the end.

With pretty much all the big shots out of the tournament, France is looking good, Belgium is a threat and we’ll see what England can do tomorrow. Everyone thinks so far that they should advance tomorrow, but I wouldn’t count those Swedes out just yet, let’s not forget they are the main reason Italy is not participating in this WC.

To me now along France and Belgium, Croatia is the only other candidate to lift the trophy.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

10spro wrote:
wco81 wrote:But Kompany gets away with a penalty in front of goal which should have been a PK.
That was not a PK, it went to VAR and confirmed. There was some contact but ball was already out of play.
I thought the contact was minimal at best in any event and that they got that right.

What a terrific match. de Bruyne just sublime in the first half. Marcelo put in as good an all-around performance as you're going to see at the highest level. He was dangerous in the box, putting in crosses, switching the play, closing down, tracking back...it was amazing. So many great plays and both teams so good.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

You just wonder if all the chances that Sterling has been getting will cost England in the end if they can’t convert with the insurance goal.

Goal coming via a nice header. Surprised?

Edit: Make that two.

Pickford has been brilliant.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sterling is probably the worst finisher for a premier cup team I’ve seen in a long time. Even at man city he blows at least 2 it 3 chances a game. His speed and runs get him those chances so I guess it’s not all bad.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Eh...Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal...Laso. 8)

Sweet strike, Russia is going to explode if they make it into the semi's.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

That Croatian player had all day to line up a shot and tries to hit the corner?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A roller coaster of emotions for Fernandes and Russia in ET. Watching the Russian manager is a spectacle on its own. L. Modric was lucky in the PK. I am still expecting more from Croatia since they beat Argentina handily yet they’ve struggled since.

Kudos to the home team for not giving up, what drama in ET and PK.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Up to this point this has been the most enjoyable WC in my life time.

Hope I didnt jinx it.

Looking forward to the DSP Liverpool civil war when England and Croatia square off.

Jimmy vs Rob...Lovren vs Henderson.

Good times eh?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Who do you guys have between France v Belgium?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

XXXIV wrote:Up to this point this has been the most enjoyable WC in my life time.

Hope I didnt jinx it.

Looking forward to the DSP Liverpool civil war when England and Croatia square off.

Jimmy vs Rob...Lovren vs Henderson.

Good times eh?
England have every advantage. Croatia have played 120 minutes in consecutive games. They've got more than a few injuries and they've been through the emotional ringer of back-to-back penalty shootouts.

The only advantage Croatia has is that England are England. ;)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Who cares about England-Croatia? 8) The real champion in this WC will come out of today’s match between France and Belgium. Two evenly matched teams that should yield an entertaining semis. I applaud Martinez for sticking to his 3-5-2 formation vs a very dangerous French team that has speed up front. Interested to see if it backfires on them.

I slightly favour the Belgium midfield though.

Will see Thierry Henry’s heavy influence on the Belgium side. Who’ he really cheering for deep inside?

And in other news, the worst kept secret is out. Ronaldo will flash his $$$$ in Juventus.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Pretty evenly played so far, with both sides having clear chances to make a difference. The Red Devils will have to keep a close eye on the French forwards as their counter attack look dangerous. Something tells me that Hazard will make something happen in the second half.

Brilliant saves for Courtois and Lloris.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Fun but disappointing game. Thought Belgium would be able to shock the world...but clearly France was better. They dominated most of the play and controlled everything. He won't get the credit in retrospect but Matuidi was my MOTM. Dude was everywhere...him and Kante controlled everything.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Fun but disappointing game. Thought Belgium would be able to shock the world...but clearly France was better. They dominated most of the play and controlled everything. He won't get the credit in retrospect but Matuidi was my MOTM. Dude was everywhere...him and Kante controlled everything.
They controlled the tempo on that midfield pretty well. He was a warrior, Pogba kept De Bruyne at bay and let’s not forget Lloris with some key saves. Hazard was the best man for Belgium and what a disappointment Lukaku has been. At times he just looks disinterested and not engaged enough, I would have started Mertens much earlier.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I wanted a better game but France knew what they had to do and they did it.

They clearly deserved the win.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Stu Holden was so correct: Belgium was using the wings, especially with Hazard in the left, very effectively to threaten in the first 20 minutes. Then they started playing what I call "shoebox soccer" when I coach kids in youth soccer -- everything crammed up the middle.

I'm not tactically savvy enough to know whether that was a result of a change by Deschamps or a change by Martinez. Either way, Holden spotted it quickly, and he was right.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425