The Beautiful Game thread, season 2017/18

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game thread, season 2017/18

Post by Zeppo »

Ugh that was awful to experience. This is now officially my worst personal World Cup, surpassing France ‘98. First, the US fails to qualify, and now my wife’s Germany s*** the bed including two and 9/10 games of terribleness.

The lesson that I am amazed still doesn’t seem to be learned by federations throughout the world: don’t keep your coach for more than 4 years. Has it ever turned out well for anybody?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Any predictions for ENG v BEL ?

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Rodster wrote:Any predictions for ENG v BEL ?
Let's see who can score the most own goals! Seriously though, I guess you have to keep a winning mindset, even when you really benefit more by losing. Thus, maybe a lot of offence due to no threat of losing? I'm saying 3-3.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I realized it was posted as a dumb question but who has ENG really played in this WC of any quality?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:I realized it was posted as a dumb question but who has ENG really played in this WC of any quality?
Right?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Any predictions for ENG v BEL ?
Who cares? Neither team gives a sh*t about this match -- just look at the starting 11s. A pathetic joke of a reserve match. Both teams are clearly trying to lose before the opening whistle.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I realized it was posted as a dumb question but who has ENG really played in this WC of any quality?
The same can be said of fellow group member and tournament darling Belgium.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Difference between playing Japan or Columbia in the knockout match right?

And Japan only makes knockout stage because of fair play rules.

Never heard of Januzaj but I'm sure the big clubs will come calling. Great individual play, beating a defender and goalie from inside the box.

On the other end, English player gets breakaway and can't beat goalie.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Never heard of Januzaj but I'm sure the big clubs will come calling. Great individual play, beating a defender and goalie from inside the box.
He played for Manchester United from 2013-17 but never really became a fixture. Had loan spells at Sunderland and Borussia Dortmund before moving to Real Sociedad.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A very interesting article on Argentina's midfield struggling to gel with Messi. Also traditionally the best player in the team, the most creative and talented usually wears #10 in any team in Buenos Aires, (and yes I was that #10 in my youth, therefore my love for that number) but because Messi usually plays more like a false 9 under the current formations of Argentina finding that player to gel with, that true #10 has been difficult. If Roman Riquelme was not retired, he would have been the ideal partner for Messi.

Ever Banega is the logical choice now but his role is also to be defensively responsible so he doens't have the total freedom to roam around with the attackers. Whether it's Di Maria or Dybala (currently seating pretty in the bench) the trifecta partner for Messi, that's when we all see the true potential of Argentina.

And that's why Messi just shines in Barcelona, when he's got players like Iniesta and Rakitic that keep opening up space for his runs. I am hyped up for tomorrow's match with France.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... argentine/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Looking forward to Suarez v CR7 later today.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:Looking forward to Suarez v CR7 later today.
To see who’s the better diver?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I’m sorry, 10S, that must have been painful. But I have to say, even though they came up short, that was in no way an embarrassing performance, unlike their group stage games. It was a real classic game, a true World Cup game and why we love this tournament.

DiMaria was outstanding (why hadn’t he been starting from the first game?) and they really came alive from the start of the 2nd half. But France is simply too good right now. Mbappé is the player of the tournament!! He’s simply been luminescent. So good.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It’s Mbappe’s revelation to the world. He singlehandedly destroyed Argentina’s blue line. Probably the fastest striker in the world today and only 19. A couple of more years and he’ll be a star in the Premier league.

Too little and far in between momens from Messi, it’s the end of an era for a lot of players here including #10 himself at a WC stage.

Beautiful strikes from Pavard and Di María in what was a classic and entertaining match.

As you mentioned Zeppo, it was a great match to watch and Argentina just couldn’t handle France speed up front. Di María did start in game 1 but was rather inefficient so he was substituted in the second only to come back in the must win vs Nigeria.

What bugs me about Sampaoli way of coaching is that he doesn’t move his pieces properly. Di Maria’s left footed, I get it, why not change flanks and try something different. He’ll be grilled no doubt back at home. Would have love to see more from Dybala.

They fell short, but in the end France deserved to move on...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Mbappe is the embodiment of why France beat Argentina -- too fast, too young, too skilled. Period.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Though he looks older than 19.

If he immigrated to France, instead of being born in France, you might wonder about African birth certificate shenanigans.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Though he looks older than 19.

If he immigrated to France, instead of being born in France, you might wonder about African birth certificate shenanigans.
You mean like the European players and residents who had American servicemen as fathers who always have inhabited the U.S. Men's National Team rosters? John Brooks, Timmy Chandler, Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, Mix Diskerud -- all on the U.S. 2014 World Cup team, all born outside of the United States. Not to mention 1998 U.S. captain Thomas Dooley, who I don't think ever lived in America and whose main language was German.

Add former USMNT standouts Earnie Stewart, Jeff Agoos and Roy Wegerle to the list of American players who were born outside of the U.S.

There are few -- if any -- men's national soccer teams with a looser interpretation of homegrown players over the last 30 years than the good, old US of A.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

No I meant more like African athletes and some from Latin America play games with their real ages.

But if Mbappe was born in Paris and lived all his life in France, then he probably would have gotten into their youth programs at a young age.

He's fast but doesn't seem big or strong so he may have to adjust to the physicality of the EPL.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:No I meant more like African athletes and some from Latin America play games with their real ages.
Ah, gotcha. You are correct, sir.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

pk500 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Never heard of Januzaj but I'm sure the big clubs will come calling. Great individual play, beating a defender and goalie from inside the box.
He played for Manchester United from 2013-17 but never really became a fixture. Had loan spells at Sunderland and Borussia Dortmund before moving to Real Sociedad.
He used to destroy for me in Football Manager with Man U.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Messi and Ronaldo have zero goals in the knockout stage.

Messi just turned 31 and Ronaldo is 33. They could come back in 4 years but are their chances going to be better? They may still put up goals with their clubs but in the WC?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:Messi and Ronaldo have zero goals in the knockout stage.

Messi just turned 31 and Ronaldo is 33. They could come back in 4 years but are their chances going to be better? They may still put up goals with their clubs but in the WC?
They are both talented enough to play one more WC if they want to. Chances are that they won’t be able to shine as they do so in their clubs. Many reasons. The WC event is such a short event that managers usually have about 2-3 weeks to prepare compared to a full preseason in their respective clubs. Are they going to be better you ask? I doubt it. But if they can lead their nations by scoring a magic goal here and there with their skill and talent even though they’ve been invisible for most of the match, they would have contributed plenty then.

That’s what a 34-36 year old player can do to help their team.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

If its not my boys doing it it sure looks ugly. 8)

Russia packing it in like that was very ugly.

Painful to watch Spain play today. Slow walking it.= until the very end when they finally moved their asses.

The ugly game today.

Whoever wins. You suck balls. f***in hate penalties!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Yucky but fitting that the #8 was saved. He nacho was worst player on the field for Spain today.

Not sorry to see that d*****bag ramos go either .

Bu bye.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It’s the end of a glorious tiki-taka era for Spain too. Much like Argentina, they never played to their potential but unlike the Albicelestes, they have strong midfield players that just couldn’t deliver in this WC. I feel for Iniesta, guys like D. Silva looked tired, time to replace a lot of guys like Pique, Koke, Busquets.

Russia came with only thing in mind. Stretch the match to the PKs and with the help of their keeper, accomplished the impossible. Kudos to everyone that scored too, everyone looked cool and were deadly accurate.

This is a huge upset. That whole bracket looks wide open with Croatia perhaps feeling the pressure to advance far.