PES 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PES 2018

Post by 10spro »

If you find that the AI is not doing much try to play against them away from home. Defending is hard in PES and part of that is because of the player switch, which seems to be slightly delayed. But compared to FIFA, defending is more difficult here. Headers and corners seem to be a bit overpowered at this time and from what I have seen, I like the play around the boxes much better than in the midfield.

On free kicks within 25 yards there's more set plays than ever, guys like Neymar, Messi, will not automatically shoot towards the net.

Playing most of my games away from home on Superstar 10 min halves and I am not finding the AI as bad as you guys find it. Defensively it needs a tweak where they have to make a run at the attacker, be more aggressive, instead of wait, wait, wait, specially within the 25 yards area, while on attack it's pretty balanced. I have seen unnecessary deflections goals because the D would just wait and wait. Yes.

It's a demo, I do want the player switching to be quicker and more efficient otherwise you leave your D pretty open for the opponent. Another area that need looking after also are fouls (non existent unless you're tackling from behind) and questionable refs decisions.

And again that tiny delay in player switching is making things difficult when defending at this particular level. Playing mostly on PS4, I like the pace of the game, it's far from perfect but it still plays a realistic game of footie. It does need some aggressiveness tweak on D though.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Here's the rub: I'm not playing Superstar level. And I don't think anyone should be expected to play at that level just to find realistic AI.

This demo is a f*cking mess. Period.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

One thing I don't like about this years graphics is that pretty much everything glistens in the game i.e. grass and players.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

A dude named Kashik at the OS Forums posted these impressions about the PES 2018 demo. I thought his analysis was such a bull's eye, so insightful and brilliant, that it merited reposting here. His comments below:

>>>>>>>>>>
I've spent some time with the demo now, and the biggest take away I have is: this game would be amazing with all that field in between the boxes removed.

Seriously, the game plays really well when you're trying to break down a defense in the box, playing just outside of it and trying to penetrate in. Outside of that, however, the game breaks down. It's like the transition from one end to the other is merely a formality and lasts as long as it does purely because the sport designates the dimensions of a field. I guarantee you, if this game was based on a fictional sport that was a hybrid of football and hockey, it'd be legendary.

Unfortunately, for those of us looking for an accurate representation of football, 2018 still isn't it. This game continues the arcadey trend from the last few years. But when I think about it, maybe we shouldn't be so surprised with what the game is becoming. End to end play, high scoring games, no fouls... These aren't flaws, they are fundamental design choices by the dev team.

We all like to compare new releases to the legendary PES years, but I'm starting to think this doesn't make sense. We are hoping for the dev team to recreate PES' past achievements... but today's dev team is totally different from the one that had a vision to recreate the beautiful game with all it's perfections and imperfections. PES 16 and 17 both instilled in me the feeling that Konami have no desire to recreate what many of us want, instead they are focused on creating an exciting and fast paced game with widespread appeal. With 18, I'm more convinced than ever that the PES brand has no intention returning to its roots.

The demo technically plays well, but it's just not for me. No patch in the full release will change fundamental design choices.
<<<<<<<<<<

My takeaway matches his: Anyone who thinks PES hasn't moved hard toward the arcade side of the fence either is in denial, hates FIFA with venom or isn't paying attention. FIFA 18 has a very good chance of being a better overall, more realistic sim of the beautiful game this year, something I still can't believe I'm writing.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

" No patch in the full release will change fundamental design choices."

This is whats annoys me. I feel sorry for the lads who put so much effort into trying to make the game something it cant be, it gets better yes but your still going to have the retreating defense, massive wholes to exploit and those annoying extra touches in the box which stop you from miraculously clearing the ball first time.
The goal keeper parrying the ball right to the opposition who always get there first because your defense men are already running away from the ball.

It amazes me how a development team can let this stuff through when its apparent in the first game you play of the demo.

Then they got the balls to tell me ive got to rename all the teams and redo their kits :lol:
I'll put in the effort when you do, hows that Konami.
Way to ruin one of the finest Franchises ever.(thats been on the cards since next gen though)

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Ive been really sinking my teeth into the demo and with some tweaks its much more enjoyable.
Try this. Courtesy of Matt10 over at OS and thats why i still hang out there. These guys are game tweaking freaks and they have saved many a Fifa for me , now its Pes.
1. You have to go into Tactics and first turn on Fluid formations.
2. advanced Instructions.
3.offense- false 9 and defensive pick your 1 guy as DMF. make sure they are cmf in every formation after that , most teams are in demo . The defensive instruction overides player positioning
4. Defense- deep line and swarm box.

Do that for both teams and you should get a decent game.
Play Dortmund at Home and see.

Your welcome.
Im still not buying it out of spite , bunch of twats :mrgreen:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Maybe I'm missing what all these reviews are seeing but they are heaping all kinds of praise for PES 2018 this year.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... ne-FIFA-18

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Maybe I'm missing what all these reviews are seeing but they are heaping all kinds of praise for PES 2018 this year.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... ne-FIFA-18
The gaming media are lemmings. They could have written these reviews before even before they got their hands on the game, following the preconceived, false narrative we've seen for the last two years: "FIFA has all the bells and whistles, but PES is a better game of football."

That's BULLSH*T. Especially this year, based on the demo.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well I bought the PC version for a little under$30 so I'll find out soon enough if the demo or the reviews were right.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am getting the PS4 version. Master League will be my thing, there's some AI deficiencies but I enjoyed the demo enough to warrant my purchase.

rhymes450
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by rhymes450 »

The author of the Pes Chronicles blog (http://peschronicles.co.uk/), which I have been following for around 8 or 9 years and would consider a very reliable and impartial source, seems to find the final game (plus the day-1 patch, I think) to be considerably superior to the demo.

Quoting from the most recent post:

"My first impressions of PES2018 are very good ones.

I wasn’t blown away by the recent PES2018 Demo, to say the least. In fact, after one session with the full game, I’d say the demo might be the worst demo ever released in the whole series.

It might be worth Konami skipping a PES2019 demo entirely next year, because there is no way the PES2018 Demo represented the quality of the final game."

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well, I guess I'm going against the grain. I picked up PES at lunch. I didn't play too much of the demo. Actually, I probably played the equivalent of one game. That's primarily because the demo didn't allow me to change the controls to FIFA's. I'm hoping it's an option in the retail version as it's been in the past year's. If it plays similar or slightly improved to last year's game, I'll be very very happy.

I really tried to like the FIFA demo (played a dozen games), but there's just something that inherently bores me with the game after just a few minutes. Maybe it's the seemingly lack of variety on the pitch or the physics of the ball. It seems less organic than PES. I've never been fond of the defensive controls either or the lack of help from my team mates.

In either case, most of my gaming time will be played against my son. So, I probably won't see all the negatives that are being pointed out. I've also read that the retail version does in fact play differently from the demo, so there's hope.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The gameplay variety is better than FIFA for sure. Regarding the controls you could have adjusted them EA style if you wished in the demo, and for sure in the retail copy. My Kits are arriving soon, it plays a solid game of footie.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PC version sample size 1 game all game-play settings set to default. I have no I idea what Konami did between the demo and version 1.01.02 but the game is light years ahead of the demo. First the graphics, they are now on par with the PS4 and XONE and run at a fluid 60FPS on aging hardware (my build is from 2013). The player faces are so scarily real you have to do a triple take and convince yourself these are videogame faces.

OK onto the game play. Big, big changes here all for the better. It's a 180 from the demo and the biggest improvement was made to the AI's defense. The defense will consistently mark your wingers, cutoff passing lanes and not allow the midfield sprintfest that was seen in the demo. The keepers play smart and not once did I see anything that was considered dumb.

In the several games I played in the demo I averaged about 25 shots on goal and in just one game Everton (Me) vs Liverpool I had a total of 3 shots on goal and lost the game late with 2 mins to play because I wasn't paying attention and got my backline out of shape.

The biggest knock on the game has been through-balls and again it's a 180 difference from the demo. Now through balls are not a 100% accuracy pass, since the CPU's defensive AI has been tightened up they will attempt to close passing lanes will move their backline forward to make that trough-ball offside and before you have a chance to attempt a through-ball the backline will tighten their defense and usually allow for an outside through ball to a wing. So a left center - center and right center of the through-ball pass on the AI's backline defense will typically result in an errant through-ball pass or a take-away by the defense. I'm not saying you won't be able to score on a through-ball but it's going to be a lot tougher just as it is in FIFA.

Another thing I really like about the defensive AI is that they allow you space but mark you and THEY will attempt intercepts and takeaways if you are careless in not guarding the ball, as it should be !

I can't F-in wait for a proper PES-Option file for the PC as it allows unlimited teams, players, mgrs and leagues. Over the years soccer games have become my favorite sports videogame genre. I definitely will get FIFA 18 as I do every year but just based on early results don't expect PES 2018 to play anywhere near the tragic demo which should have never been released.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Any good sources for option files?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:Any good sources for option files?
I usually keep going to PES Universe but they’ve been bombarded lately with requests. They do a good job though.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Just gotta say what a great job Konami has done with this game since the demo. I recently played a game against Liverpool using ManU and 98 percent of the through balls were either cutoff and intercepted or missed it's intended target. I've also seen penalties called on both sides. I lost 4-1 and never created a scoring opportunity with a single through ball.

It's well worth the $28 I paid for it.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Good to hear that PES 2018 has improved since the demo. I deleted it from my PS4 after a few minutes of playing it. What a mess!

FIFA 18 is obviously the superior looking game, but I did find the demo to be rather dark. I actually found it hard to enjoy because of this. Not sure if it was eyes, but I found it hard to focus on the players because of the lighting. Will have to give this another shot.

For PES 2018, I noticed the demo didn't let me change the controller settings. Could someone confirm that this can be changed in the final version of the game? There's no way I'm going to re-train my PES instincts!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:For PES 2018, I noticed the demo didn't let me change the controller settings. Could someone confirm that this can be changed in the final version of the game? There's no way I'm going to re-train my PES instincts!
Not sure if you mean by changing the settings to say play the game like FIFA, then yes the option is there. Even on the demo I was using the FIFA controller settings.

Owning both games this is still the true simulation game of football. Great game.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote:
fanatic wrote:For PES 2018, I noticed the demo didn't let me change the controller settings. Could someone confirm that this can be changed in the final version of the game? There's no way I'm going to re-train my PES instincts!
Not sure if you mean by changing the settings to say play the game like FIFA, then yes the option is there. Even on the demo I was using the FIFA controller settings.

Owning both games this is still the true simulation game of football. Great game.
Yeah - I just like to map certain actions as I'm used to them on the controller (it might be the "classic PES settings from what I remember).

Thanks!

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

That's really weird about your experience with the demo. I was able to change controller options. I was PS4.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

FifaInspected wrote:That's really weird about your experience with the demo. I was able to change controller options. I was PS4.
Who knows...I may have missed something obvious!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Data pack 2.0 is out and adds two new stadiums and adresses foul frequency and responsiveness of the pitch (whatever that means).

https://www.pesuniverse.com/pes-2018-da ... -november/

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PES 2019

Post by 10spro »

Updated the thread to 2019. The demo is coming up in a couple of weeks. Last years version had positive improvements, I've seen some gameplay for 19 and it's looking good.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PES 2019

Post by sportdan30 »

Demo is up. Anyone play it yet?