PES 2019

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PES 2019

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Demo is up. Anyone play it yet?
Yeah. Feels sooooo clunky as far as controls go. That said, the randomness of the ball, missed passes, flailed shots, etc. are always better than Fifa...I just can't get over the controls.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Yeah. Feels sooooo clunky as far as controls go. That said, the randomness of the ball, missed passes, flailed shots, etc. are always better than Fifa...I just can't get over the controls.
Playing on Xbox One or PS4? Not happy to hear about the clunky controls.

Overall, the impressions seem very positive so far.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Much like Madden 19, the PES 2019 demo feels like PES 2018.5. That's not a bad thing, as PES 2018 is a fine game.

But combine the lack of tangible improvements and the sh*tty license, and I doubt I'll touch PES 2019 unless it's added to GamePass or gets a deep discount.

I like FIFA, too, and my son plays it more than any other game. So it looks like FIFA 19 will be my release day footy game of choice this year.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Playing on Xbox One or PS4? Not happy to hear about the clunky controls.

Overall, the impressions seem very positive so far.
One X. It's way more organic than Fifa, but just can't get over the controls. Fifa is just so much smoother all around.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Have and always will play the series on PS4. Menus are more fluid and responsive. Pass support on 1, the rest pretty much on default. Wished the matches were at least 10 minutes long to observe the improved fatigue factor and playing on superstar.

The grass seem to have that 3D look at times and others seem rather 2D bland looking but overall the turf is staring to look closer to FIFA. Game must look amazing on PC. The crowd looks livelier, tempo is a notch slower it seems. I’ve seen fouls and injuries already in my matches something that was pretty absent last year.

On D, I must admit that the AI fails to impress me, it could a a tactic thing, I haven’t tinkered too much with them, in general I like the pace, visually is improved.

Just gotta have to play a bunch of games to make a really fair judgment, it’s a demo with just 5 minutes halves which doesn’t do the game any justice.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:On D, I must admit that the AI fails to impress me, it could a a tactic thing, I haven’t tinkered too much with them, in general I like the pace, visually is improved.

Just gotta have to play a bunch of games to make a really fair judgment, it’s a demo with just 5 minutes halves which doesn’t do the game any justice.
I played only one game on the PS4 and something is off with the defensive AI. I was controlling Milan and was playing against Barcelona at home. I scored when their defense backline got disorganized with the GK on his ass. They scored late in the game almost the same way. The animations also seems kinda clunky in some spots. However I had no complaints with the controls but then again i've been playing PES for quite some time.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:On D, I must admit that the AI fails to impress me, it could a a tactic thing, I haven’t tinkered too much with them, in general I like the pace, visually is improved.
The game must be designed for longer matches, as I've had a few demo matches with just one shot on goal each for my team and the CPU team. The AI defense in the midfield is even tighter than last year, which isn't a bad thing.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Installed it on the PS4 as well and it's a completely different game control wise. No idea what the difference really is as it just feels like I'm more connected to the players than it does on the One. Whatever the case, I really enjoyed the PS4 version...

It reminds me of a few years ago, think it was Madden 17 where the Xbox version was far superior control wise to the PS4 version, even tho the visuals weren't quite as good. So weird there can be such a gap.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I forgot how fun and random PES can feel after taking a full year off.

In my short time with the demo, there's been some terrible AI on display, but also a lot of fun.

I wonder if switching back and forth year to year between PES/FIFA is the way to go. That way, you only see 2 year improvements, and everything feels fresh.

If I were to grab this title, I'm wondering which licensed leagues would be enjoyable to play. Maybe a good way to spark interest in another league? Scottish or Argentinian perhaps? Would be cool to play a few seasons with Boca (I say this only because my wife and I managed to attend a game there during the end of their 2005 season). I bought an official jersey of course, and made the mistake of wearing it when Toronto FC hosted a friendly against River Plate. At least I was being insulted in a language I couldn't understand!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:I forgot how fun and random PES can feel after taking a full year off.

In my short time with the demo, there's been some terrible AI on display, but also a lot of fun.

I wonder if switching back and forth year to year between PES/FIFA is the way to go. That way, you only see 2 year improvements, and everything feels fresh.

If I were to grab this title, I'm wondering which licensed leagues would be enjoyable to play. Maybe a good way to spark interest in another league? Scottish or Argentinian perhaps? Would be cool to play a few seasons with Boca (I say this only because my wife and I managed to attend a game there during the end of their 2005 season). I bought an official jersey of course, and made the mistake of wearing it when Toronto FC hosted a friendly against River Plate. At least I was being insulted in a language I couldn't understand!
I am surprised you’re still alive. :lol: 8) . Yeah, the most heated rivalry in the entire world is still alive, whether they’re playing for the Superliga, Copa Libertadores or a simple friendly, the fanaticos will be at your throat no matter which team you cheer for.

To answer your question, I play both games yearly because they give me different feels completely. On one hand I’ve been playing FUT forever so that’s my go to mode in Fifa, and I’ve been digging the Master League mode in PES. Of course they don’t have all the licenses but it’s not a biggy for me because I’ve been able to download updated rosters including kits and so on from the community playing on the PS4.

I did noticed even on Superstar some questionable AI decisions, but Konami despite its faults and flaws always gives me something that EA can’t. Much improved visually in the turf and crowd department, I am getting this years version for sure.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Played the demo on PS4....just not feeling it.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Played the PS4 demo......absolutely loved it.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Anyone get a chance to play the full version yet? Looking forward to picking it up after work.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I really liked the demo and I am really enjoying it here so far. Football can be a very random game when possession of the ball doesn't mean much if you fail to convert on your chances and consequently a quick well planned counter attack may mean your opponent scoring when you least expect it. and that's what I like about PES, the unpredictability of the game. From the passing which can be spot on to 'I didn't mean that' if you set the passing on a lower level, you just don't see the scripted gameplay of Fifa. How many times when you score on Fifa, you know the AI is just clamping down on you to the point where i you just miss clearing a ball, it just results in an ugly goal against you. (World level and up).

Or your online opponent just connecting perfectly on every single pass because they have better players while doing every single trick in the book until they score on you. Well, that scripture you just won't see it here. The fact that you can feel that you're in control of the game only to feel deflated 5 minutes later is what I like about PES. The unpredictability.

While the graphics are very nice especially the player faces, the commentary and presentation including the menus need improvement.

My Club is Konami's answer to EA's FUT but it will always fall short due to all the experience EA already has in this department. You may feel turned off by the lack of licenses and rightfully so.

But when it comes to real football, we all know it, it plays a great game. From passes to the shooting to tackles, it's all done well here.

After a couple of games, still I'd like to see more fouls called including injuries which almost never happens with Konami.

Overall, it plays a fine game of footie only to be sidelined by the lack of proper licenses and poor presentation.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Really enjoying the gameplay. Was just mentioning about the unpredictability of the game. I can be down easily by a couple of goals with amateur defending in 10 minutes or have a close game like the one I had here with an early beauty which eventually was the game winner.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote:Really enjoying the gameplay. Was just mentioning about the unpredictability of the game. I can be down easily by a couple of goals with amateur defending in 10 minutes or have a close game like the one I had here with an early beauty which eventually was the game winner.

Cool!

How are you finding the CPU AI?

I've heard reports of a lack of variety in terms of their attacking. A lot of low crossing but not much else?

I'm willing to overlook a bit of sameness, but wondering how much of an issue it really is.

Thanks!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I an pretty sure of some shortcomings on the lower levels. Playing on Superstar it fits me just fine and I get a heck of a challenge. You can adjust the manual passing level too to your liking. Air through balls are one of the best animations I’ve seen in either game.

Much improved visuals, presentation needs an overhaul but the gameplay is pure football. English commentary is boring, switch it to any other language.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:I an pretty sure of some shortcomings on the lower levels. Playing on Superstar it fits me just fine and I get a heck of a challenge. You can adjust the manual passing level too to your liking. Air through balls are one of the best animations I’ve seen in either game.

Much improved visuals, presentation needs an overhaul but the gameplay is pure football. English commentary is boring, switch it to any other language.
Do you have the PS4 version? If so I plan on getting it when it's on sale and I would like to do a MP game with you. I know i'll get crushed but it should be fun nonetheless, at least for you ! :lol:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:
10spro wrote:I an pretty sure of some shortcomings on the lower levels. Playing on Superstar it fits me just fine and I get a heck of a challenge. You can adjust the manual passing level too to your liking. Air through balls are one of the best animations I’ve seen in either game.

Do you have the PS4 version? If so I plan on getting it when it's on sale and I would like to do a MP game with you. I know i'll get crushed but it should be fun nonetheless, at least for you ! :lol:
Yep PS4 version with edited players and kits from Pes universe. Actually if you got a good PC, it’s amazing what the community has done in terms of improving the same presentation that Konami has given us from the past 6-7 years.

Nicely done.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I tried out the PC version and the one glaring positive that EA doesn't even come close is the "Ball Physics". They are freakin insane, the way the ball moves across the pitch and interacts with the players, the way the ball hops on the grass and curls on mid range passes is as real as it gets. There are no laser guided passes or laser guided ball movements like you find in EA's FIFA.

My 1st game all default settings with game speed turned down 1 notch, it was Man Red vs Man Blue. I scored my 1st goal within 3 minutes and thought this isn't going to be fun. Then Man City scores in the 81 minute to tie and I got a couple of thru passes to work and Lakaku scores the game winner at the 89 minute mark. Man U wins 2-1.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I picked up the PC version, bought a Steam code for $8.59 and the game looks great on the PC and plays really well. I love the ball movement. I got slaughtered in my first match against the CPU 0-2. Now I just need to find some user created team and player updates.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Rodster wrote:I picked up the PC version, bought a Steam code for $8.59 and the game looks great on the PC and plays really well. I love the ball movement. I got slaughtered in my first match against the CPU 0-2. Now I just need to find some user created team and player updates.
Great price, a version with subtle improvements as I had a lot of fun with it on the PS4 until I sold it late in February. Saw some footage earlier on the PC and it looks amazing.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I picked up the PC version, bought a Steam code for $8.59 and the game looks great on the PC and plays really well. I love the ball movement. I got slaughtered in my first match against the CPU 0-2. Now I just need to find some user created team and player updates.
Good grab, man!

I've played a sh*t ton of PES 2019 since it dropped on GamePass. I haven't touched FIFA in months. PES has more organic, realistic gameplay this year.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Good grab, man!

I've played a sh*t ton of PES 2019 since it dropped on GamePass. I haven't touched FIFA in months. PES has more organic, realistic gameplay this year.
See, we told you :)

Maybe they changed the following camera angle or I didn't notice it last year but the Dynamic Wide camera is the best camera I have ever used in a Footy game. It allows you to read the defense and backline really well. And 10's yeah the graphics are super sharp on the PC version. FIFA has always had top notch graphics but I like PES 2019 graphics a lot.