A tip of the Cap to Jared Medina!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

A tip of the Cap to Jared Medina!

Post by J_Cauthen »

I just came to realize today that it's now been 15 years since the webzine that was once called Digital Sporspage, sold its domain name to DigitalSports. I was part of the foundation of Digital Sportspage, along with Frank Eva, who acted as the Executive Editor, while I was the Managing Editor. Our advertising revenues shrunk to the point where it was no longer profitable for us to operate as a webzine. Jared Medina, who was one of the reviewers/writers for DSP, at that time, took on the task of continuing the DSP name, first as a webzine with the new domain name, digitalsportspage.com, and then as a a forum, as it now continues to exist.

Here's a link to a story that the Hartford Courant wrote on us in 2000, which was when we were perhaps at our peak:
http://articles.courant.com/2000-02-06/ ... creenshots

Jared, we owe you one for your willingness to take up the mantle, and continue on with the legacy!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: A tip of the Cap to Jared Medina!

Post by DChaps »

Thanks Jared, and thanks to all of you who have stuck around making this one of the few forums that I have consistently visited for 15 years. Thanks for sharing that great article, but I especially liked this quote below from Mr. Cauthen. I started visiting this forum in my 30's with no kids, and now I am in my 50's playing NBA2K and Forza with my son.
It's no surprise that the site's audience includes older gamers, since most of the writers are in their 30s and 40s. Cauthen, 45, has degrees in economics and electronics engineering technology, and works at a nuclear power plant by day.

``It's refreshing to know that this is a hobby that is undertaken by your peers and you're not some lunatic that's out there being a kid again,'' Cauthen said. ``It's amazing how many people we hear from that are in their 30s, 40s, even 50s.

``The thing that amazes me more than anything else is the number of adult gamers who write to tell us how reassuring it is to know they are not alone. We have doctors, lawyers, all sorts of professional people who write us to tell us that they appreciate what we're doing.''

Other writers at the site include Dan London, Marty Goldstein, Randy Magruder, Matt Kraus and Jared Madina -- all worth checking out, as is the site, one of the best resources for avid sports gamers.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That is fantastic. Been a long and fun run boys...glad to be a part of it.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Yeah that is really something. Thanks Jared for keeping it alive during that transition when it may have never existed at all! And thanks for hooking me up with some tickets to a few World Cup 2006 games - truly a life altering trip for me!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Thank you, sir!
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

My wife has told me many times that I'm too old to be gaming. I just show her this forum and that usually shuts her up. :wink:

Thanks for keeping this going all these years. :)

-MERACE

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

This calls for a celebration! Water for the horses and General Tso's for the men!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

J_Cauthen wrote:I just came to realize today that it's now been 15 years since the webzine that was once called Digital Sporspage, sold its domain name to DigitalSports. I was part of the foundation of Digital Sportspage, along with Frank Eva, who acted as the Executive Editor, while I was the Managing Editor. Our advertising revenues shrunk to the point where it was no longer profitable for us to operate as a webzine. Jared Medina, who was one of the reviewers/writers for DSP, at that time, took on the task of continuing the DSP name, first as a webzine with the new domain name, digitalsportspage.com, and then as a a forum, as it now continues to exist.

Here's a link to a story that the Hartford Courant wrote on us in 2000, which was when we were perhaps at our peak:
http://articles.courant.com/2000-02-06/ ... creenshots

Jared, we owe you one for your willingness to take up the mantle, and continue on with the legacy!
Thank you for letting us do what we do here Jared!

Thank you for your support last month with the whole log-in issue I was having.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

DivotMaker wrote: Thank you for letting us do what we do here Jared!
Big Thanks Jared!!!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Very cool, thanks for sharing, John. And a big thanks to Jared.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeah big kudos to Jared. I remember enjoying the in-depth reviews on racing games from Randy such as his review on the first Gran Turismo.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Yes, a big thanks to Jared...and to this one big wonderful family here. Here's to many more years boys!

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Yep - thanks to all who host, moderate and contribute!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This place is magic. Always has been, hopefully always will be. It's my corner bar on the Internet.

Thanks to EVERYONE who makes it happen, especially Jared and the other founders. Incredible how this place flourishes and has fostered so many friendships, with very limited moderation needed.

That's a tribute to the rationality and humanity of everyone here. But it's also because of a great vibe that Jared and the other site proprietors set from the site's launch.

RIGHT ON! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks Jared!

If this forum went away I'm not sure how I would get through the week. Really good people here.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

One of the true testimonies of how this forum has brought online games together is the creation of Ice Dragons, a bunch of dudes gathering every weekend thru thick and thin for the past 7-8 years trying to figure out why RamJag doesn't like our hockey team. :twisted:

Geez, some have come and gone, then come back again. I remember the fond days where we played club games and had a handful of players of up to 10 dudes.

Some of you had formed friendships, and like families there's been some odd animosity here and there.

Looking at when I joined here, geez that's a long time, so thanks to all for making this work today as it did back in 2002. We are a bunch of passionate adult gamers that like to inform and share tips and tricks.

But not only just sticking to games. The creation of OT's has created a wealth of information for some, I can see even today how some even use DSP first as their 'Google' source. We'll learned a lot more about what some individuals are going thru too and their respective families and as far as I am concerned, we all supported each other mentally thru this media and in some cases financially.

Cheers to you all, that make this place a great place to hang around.

Personally, this site is my own addictive drug. 8)

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I loved being a writer for DSP. It all went well for me until I gave Rock the Rink a D- review and Frank got pissed.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

What a great find, John! And many thanks to Jared for keeping the doors open and the lights on all this time.