Sling TV vs. PlayStation Vue

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Sling TV vs. PlayStation Vue

Post by pk500 »

Fellas:

I'm sorry if this should be placed into another thread. But I'm coming VERY close to cutting the cord. Spectrum took over TimeWarner in Central New York and isn't honoring any more TW promotional deals and is not bartering with customers at all. I always could call TW and barter to cut my bill.

I pay $221 per month for digital HD cable with a sports pack for BeIN Sports (MotoGP, baby!), DVR, 200 MB Internet and home phone. No premiums such as HBO or Showtime. Ridiculous, I know. I'm going to kill the home phone and drop one tier for Internet, but that probably will only slice $30-40 from the bill.

I'm considering an HD antenna for locals and going with Sling TV or PlayStation Vue, killing the home phone and staying with Spectrum for internet only. We don't get FIOS, and the only other internet option is dogsh*t local DSL.

My wife and I hardly watch TV anymore, and the kids seemingly digest all of their content except for sports through YouTube or Netflix. I just can't justify paying those robber barons at Spectrum $2,500 per year for something that doesn't get used much.

I tried Sling last night through the Xbox One. Not impressed. Picture quality wasn't great, and the 30 FPS streams gave me a headache. I've heard it's better with a Fire TV or Roku, so I may try one of those.

Any opinions on PlayStation Vue from users? It seems to be the best fit for price, channels, picture quality and number of simultaneous streams. Its DVR is a must for me, too. I've done a TON of research on this the last few days, but I would love to hear impressions from all of you cats in here, whom I trust more than some anonymous d*uche canoe on Reddit.

Thanks!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Sling TV vs. PlayStation Vue

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I haven't used Sling, but most of my friends that have cut it have went Playstation Vue via the Fire or the actual Playstation. I have heard that most streaming services suck through the Xbox so that doesn't surprise me at all. I've been a huge naysayer of the Xbox One and the MLB.TV and NFL Sunday Ticket being absolutely trash compared to the PS3/PS4 versions of the software. So if you use Amazon services at all, the Fire TV is the way to go w/ PSV from what I've heard. Sorry I can't give you "use case" experience, but any bit of info helps. Right? ;)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Definitely. Very helpful. I've read overwhelming reports that PS Vue sucks with a Roku due to a lack of a guide and easy scrobbling with the DVR. So it looks like I'm headed toward a Fire.

Losing network sports was the only hurdle I had to clear. But an HD antenna will cure most ills, and my sons and I spend nearly every NFL Sunday watching RedZone instead of games. And Vue carries RedZone as part of its basic package.

Blows my mind I can get every channel I want -- and HBO and Showtime -- for $65 through Vue when I'm paying more than $110 for the same service minus HBO and Showtime through Spectrum when you add in all of the bogus fees and surcharges.

F*cking thieves.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I made the switch last fall to PS Vue which was great but then I jumped on Directvnow and got in on the 100 channels for $35. I'm very happy with the Directvnow service and they keep improving it. I find the pic quality to be a bit better than Vue and Sling. With all that said, if anything ever happened and I had to move on from Directvnow, I'd have no issues going back to PS Vue.
Only advice I would have is to stay away from the sticks for streaming..get the Apple TV, or the Firebox...depending on what service you use of course. Any other questions, let me know Paul.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

tjung0831 wrote:Only advice I would have is to stay away from the sticks for streaming..get the Apple TV, or the Firebox...depending on what service you use of course. Any other questions, let me know Paul.
That's 100% true. They usually have better/more powerful antennas so it helps w/ the quality of the stream significantly.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I have
charter here in St. Louis, but it is not near that expensive, I think. I have 100 Mbps Internet, and the Silver tier which nets every cable channel I want plus all of the HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Star, and Indie Plex channels, for $150. If I dropped cable, my bill would be $60. If I just dropped the move channels, it would be $130.

Reviews I've read of DirecTV Now where not good. I looked at PS Vue, but the tier I would take is $45, I think. That would be the equivalent of what I would pay $80 for. But I'm not convinced the DVR is worth it, especially with the limits they impose. I really prefer TiVo, or the Genie if I went back to DirecTV.

I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer to save $35 a month, but we watch TV via our DVR a ton. Asking my wife to change how we find and watch shows would require zero jankiness. The first time we lost shows because we just didn't get to them in time would be a very bad thing. My wife is a lawyer. Sometimes she goes weeks without getting to watch much TV. Then we binge some really old stuff. We still have the last two episodes of Taboo sitting on the DVR. Had that been PS Due, they would be gone.

I'm just not convinced that the savings are worth it. My guesses that we would just ditch any cable altogether and roll with streaming services. But for now, I'd rather keep a service that allows for a better DVR experience. But my numbers seem to be a little different from yours, PK. We've been Charter since the beginning.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:I made the switch last fall to PS Vue which was great but then I jumped on Directvnow and got in on the 100 channels for $35. I'm very happy with the Directvnow service and they keep improving it. I find the pic quality to be a bit better than Vue and Sling. With all that said, if anything ever happened and I had to move on from Directvnow, I'd have no issues going back to PS Vue.
Only advice I would have is to stay away from the sticks for streaming..get the Apple TV, or the Firebox...depending on what service you use of course. Any other questions, let me know Paul.
Thanks, Tim.

I definitely plan on getting a Fire TV box, not the sticks. EVERYONE says the sticks are sluggish with streaming TV, which would drive me nuts.

DTVN lacks a cloud DVR and BeIN Sports -- two deal-breakers for me. Must have the availability to time-shift and BeIN to watch MotoGP and World Superbike. But I would consider it if that feature and channel were added.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

All good points, Aristo. Thanks, man.

My wife NEVER uses the DVR. She doesn't even know how. She surfs every night, usually settling on HGTV, Lifetime, FOX News or ESPN. So limitations on DVR wouldn't bother her.

Our kids use the DVR only for episodic TV. So the combination of On Demand and the cloud DVR should work.

TimeWarner always was flexible and would respond to pleas from longtime customers or threats to leave for satellite. Spectrum's attitude is: "Don't like it? Then get f*cked." Zero wiggle room and repeated price hikes. So I will respond with taking my business elsewhere.

Thanks. Keep the information coming, fellas!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Obligatory streaming box with Kodi software comment....
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Aristo wrote:I have
charter here in St. Louis, but it is not near that expensive, I think. I have 100 Mbps Internet, and the Silver tier which nets every cable channel I want plus all of the HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Star, and Indie Plex channels, for $150. If I dropped cable, my bill would be $60. If I just dropped the move channels, it would be $130.

Reviews I've read of DirecTV Now where not good. I looked at PS Vue, but the tier I would take is $45, I think. That would be the equivalent of what I would pay $80 for. But I'm not convinced the DVR is worth it, especially with the limits they impose. I really prefer TiVo, or the Genie if I went back to DirecTV.

I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer to save $35 a month, but we watch TV via our DVR a ton. Asking my wife to change how we find and watch shows would require zero jankiness. The first time we lost shows because we just didn't get to them in time would be a very bad thing. My wife is a lawyer. Sometimes she goes weeks without getting to watch much TV. Then we binge some really old stuff. We still have the last two episodes of Taboo sitting on the DVR. Had that been PS Due, they would be gone.

I'm just not convinced that the savings are worth it. My guesses that we would just ditch any cable altogether and roll with streaming services. But for now, I'd rather keep a service that allows for a better DVR experience. But my numbers seem to be a little different from yours, PK. We've been Charter since the beginning.
Directvnow was bad for the first 3 months. If you signed up for the promotion you were basically a beta tester and it wasn't good, I'll admit that. I stuck with it though and now it's more than rock solid and I get that 100 channel deal for $35 for life.
I had the Charter bundle before cutting the cord...was $99 for tv, internet, phone. Last August my bill went up to $180. Now I just charter 100mb and Directv now. Saves me $80 per month.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:I made the switch last fall to PS Vue which was great but then I jumped on Directvnow and got in on the 100 channels for $35. I'm very happy with the Directvnow service and they keep improving it. I find the pic quality to be a bit better than Vue and Sling. With all that said, if anything ever happened and I had to move on from Directvnow, I'd have no issues going back to PS Vue.
Thanks, Tim.

I definitely plan on getting a Fire TV box, not the sticks. EVERYONE says the sticks are sluggish with streaming TV, which would drive me nuts.

DTVN lacks a cloud DVR and BeIN Sports -- two deal-breakers for me. Must have the availability to time-shift and BeIN to watch MotoGP and World Superbike. But I would consider it if that feature and channel were added.
Cloud DVR is coming later this year. Not sure about BeIN but I've seen a lot of requests for it from DTNow customers. Make sure you read the Reddit forums for all the streaming services, Vue, DTNow, Sling, Hulu....you can get a lot of good info on what users are experiencing. I read DTV and the Vue forums every day.
One thing I absolutely love, I no longer have a big ol cable box, or satellite receiver in my entertainment center. My tv receiver now is just my Apple TV.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

That's good to know. I'll have to get a hands on with cloud based DVR. I guess I can run a trial with Vue, since I have the PS4.

I replaced my cable box with a much smaller TiVo Roamio, and if I stick with the cord, I'll go with the even smaller TiVo Bolt, which will do 4K.

One thing that I might not get my wife to give up is the single button skip for commercial breaks. It's pretty damn great and I'm surprised by how everything, from locals to AMC and the like allow it. Hit the green button, and it doesn't even FF, just instantly skips to the end of the break. I cannot emphasize how much my wife hates commercials, and how well that works. No FFing too far, trying to time when to hit play. Just one button and it's instantly back on your show. That would make it hard to even go back to the Genie, which was my favorite DVR.

That is one thing. Charter's DVR sucks. They claim to have a new one coming out, but it's been years, and I think it will be cloud based, too.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:Obligatory streaming box with Kodi software comment....
I've already been busted twice for pirating by my ISP even though I use current blocklists and rarely upload. One more strike, and my service will be suspended.

So no dice on Kodi -- which just grabs pirated streams -- for me. Far too risky. I need high-quality, fast internet at home for work.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:
I've already been busted twice for pirating by my ISP even though I use current blocklists and rarely upload. One more strike, and my service will be suspended.

So no dice on Kodi -- which just grabs pirated streams -- for me. Far too risky. I need high-quality, fast internet at home for work.
Wow, your ISP is tough! Not that Kodi is an unconditional recommendation anyway...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:Cloud DVR is coming later this year. Not sure about BeIN but I've seen a lot of requests for it from DTNow customers. Make sure you read the Reddit forums for all the streaming services, Vue, DTNow, Sling, Hulu....you can get a lot of good info on what users are experiencing. I read DTV and the Vue forums every day.
One thing I absolutely love, I no longer have a big ol cable box, or satellite receiver in my entertainment center. My tv receiver now is just my Apple TV.
That's the beauty of these services. You can sh*tcan them without any penalty for breaking a contract -- because there is no contract like BS promo deals with cable and satellite companies.

I've buried myself in blogs, Reddit, media comparisons, media reviews, etc., over the last three days. I'm one of those guys who guys to ridiculous lengths to educate himself before deciding on purchase decisions like this. Anal retentive. :)

Thanks again. Really appreciate everyone's insight in this thread. Keep the info. coming! :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Wow, your ISP is tough! Not that Kodi is an unconditional recommendation anyway...
HBO shows both times. "Silicon Valley," ironically! LOVE that show.

Considering Spectrum just bought TimeWarner, and TimeWarner owns HBO, Spectrum/TW probably keeps a close eye on pirating of its intellectual property more than properties it doesn't own.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

pk500 wrote:

Considering Spectrum just bought TimeWarner, and TimeWarner owns HBO, Spectrum/TW probably keeps a close eye on pirating of its intellectual property more than properties it doesn't own.
Time Warner Inc. is the content division that owns HBO and it is wholly separate from Time Warner Cable. Spectrum only bought the cable business. AT&T is trying to buy TW Inc. but I'm pretty sure the deal hasn't been approved yet by whatever federal agencies need to do so.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... th-it-hbo/

Personally I think the deal should be blocked (AT&T head talked about making HBO shows 20 minutes long at some point, so that it would be better for mobile streaming, but he was probably just making stuff up). But of course I also think the NBC/Universal sale to Comcast should never have been allowed, too.

Anyway, I'm really curious about your decision, PK. I'm toying with cutting the cord. I have FIOS and a TiVO (was finally able to ditch TWC when I moved to Brooklyn) but I don't really watch much TV anymore. Mostly HBO shows. And the PBS Newshour when I cook dinner. But it's the live sports that keep me with cable. I'm too much of a sports nut. Red Bulls soccer, Mets, watching the Wizards or Caps whenever they play a NY team, Premiere League, Champions League, WC and USA WC Qualifying. And of course the NFL (although I mostly go to a bar to watch the Redskins games; I could get Sunday Ticket streaming-style I think, but it's too expensive for my tastes and the bar I go to is nice and only Redskins).

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Zeppo wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Time Warner Inc. is the content division that owns HBO and it is wholly separate from Time Warner Cable. Spectrum only bought the cable business. AT&T is trying to buy TW Inc. but I'm pretty sure the deal hasn't been approved yet by whatever federal agencies need to do so.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... th-it-hbo/

Personally I think the deal should be blocked (AT&T head talked about making HBO shows 20 minutes long at some point, so that it would be better for mobile streaming, but he was probably just making stuff up). But of course I also think the NBC/Universal sale to Comcast should never have been allowed, too.

Anyway, I'm really curious about your decision, PK. I'm toying with cutting the cord. I have FIOS and a TiVO (was finally able to ditch TWC when I moved to Brooklyn) but I don't really watch much TV anymore. Mostly HBO shows. And the PBS Newshour when I cook dinner. But it's the live sports that keep me with cable. I'm too much of a sports nut. Red Bulls soccer, Mets, watching the Wizards or Caps whenever they play a NY team, Premiere League, Champions League, WC and USA WC Qualifying. And of course the NFL (although I mostly go to a bar to watch the Redskins games; I could get Sunday Ticket streaming-style I think, but it's too expensive for my tastes and the bar I go to is nice and only Redskins).
You will get your regional sports stating with any of those services and you can still get all the premier league games via the NBC sports app, just like you have to use now for the some of the soccer games.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm zeroing in on PlayStation Vue. Was less than impressed with Sling TV in my trial. The FPS rate was not good, especially in sports. Actually made me nauseous. Have read PSVue is much better in that regard.

Will keep you posted!

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Was looking into PS Vue, the only thing that gave me pause was the lack of 5.1 sound. I'm using a 3.1 sound bar with a wireless subwoofer. The Sound bar has six speakers and does a pretty amazing job of spending out the sound, and has what amounts to a center channel to keep dialogue clear. Kind of hate that I invested in it, only to get stuck with 2 channels on some of my favorite TV shows.

Might be worth the free trial sooner than later, though.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Aristo wrote:Was looking into PS Vue, the only thing that gave me pause was the lack of 5.1 sound. I'm using a 3.1 sound bar with a wireless subwoofer. The Sound bar has six speakers and does a pretty amazing job of spending out the sound, and has what amounts to a center channel to keep dialogue clear. Kind of hate that I invested in it, only to get stuck with 2 channels on some of my favorite TV shows.

Might be worth the free trial sooner than later, though.
Definite drawback for hi-fi enthusiasts. I just have a basic sound bar and sub, so I'm good.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I ended up shifting to Spectrum, which bought TimeWarner.

I learned my monthly bill skyrocketed because all of my TimeWarner promotional deals either expired coincidentally or because Spectrum bought TW. So my bill jumped from $191 to $221 per month for no reason in January.

Called Spectrum, worked through packages and ended up with a DVR, HD box, the same channel tier I had before, 100 MB Internet and HBO, Showtime and Cinemax -- didn't have those premium channels before -- for $182 per month after sh*tcanning our home phone, which no one uses anymore. That's a fixed price (until rates raise again :lol: ), not a promo deal, as Spectrum doesn't do many promo deals.

That may seem high for some, but I MUST get the tier with NFL RedZone and BeIN Sport (MotoGP and World Superbike). That's not negotiable.

So I'm saving $39 per month, getting the same channels and a few more, AND HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. I'll take that for now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

And we all wasted our time.
:lol:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:And we all wasted our time.
LOL what an anti-climactic thread!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:And we all wasted our time.
No, no! I wish I had tried Vue, but I need to go out of town next week for a race and didn't want to deal with a possible return of Amazon Fire TV, etc.

But I learned a lot, from you cats and my research. Vue seems to be the consensus best right now for a cable or satellite replacement. I'll be curious to see how YouTube TV is received after it rolls out to more cities.

Thanks, boys! DSP comes through yet again.