Fifa 21 News

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Fifa 20 News

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Diablo25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Played an exhibition match yesterday. Like the tactical pace. Definitely slower than PES 2020. And like PES, happy to discover trick moves aren't overpowered.

But the big "game-changer" for me is the new Volta street football mode. Holy sh*t, that's FUN. Reminds me of FIFA Street, which was the most fun and underrated "street" sports game I've played. Better than NBA Jam. Better than NFL Blitz. Every bit as good as the pond hockey mode in the Microsoft NHL game for the first Xbox. Go ahead and shun me as a heretic. :)

Volta is why I'm probably going to buy FIFA 20 at retail and hold on PES 2020, banking on an early arrival to GamePass by PES 2020, just like the two previous games.
Was Volta in the demo? I didn’t see it. Thought there was just an exhibition mode.
Volta is playable in Demo yes.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:Only exhibition mode is playable.

I was invited back in June to test play Volta. I’ll be honest. If you like picking up a 5 vs 5 arcade game where physics is not important in a footie game for you, then you may dig it. I was bored quickly. You can use the boards to your advantage to move the football around, skill your way to the net.

I’ll play it to practice the must skills for the FUT mode but definitely not my cup of tea.
Volta is playable in the demo.

EDIT: Oops. Jimmy beat me to the punch.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Played the demo for quite a bit last night and beyond the stellar presentation and visuals, I see very little improvements from a year ago. I get it. We all see what we want to see. For me, I saw no build up from the CPU, at least in the matches I played. They way they attack is all too similar. I don't see the A.I. booting the ball the ball through the air except when they are crossing it late. There are some positives no doubt. Pace of play is much better and one on one plays are very smooth. Then again, this is EA. The demo most always plays differently than the retail version, which is a shame for the most part.

Volta is pretty cool, but I see myself getting bored of it fairly quickly. It's all about trickery and whatnot. I guess I prefer the NBA Street style more than this. I'm sure going online would be a absolute nightmare with regards to my skill level!

Thank goodness for EA Access. 10 hours will last me a loooong time with this game and that will be that.

All in all, it's a hell of a pretty package, but I still feel it lacks the organic feel of the other soccer game which I so love.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No doubt, Dan. PES 2020 features far more variety and organic play. But I still think FIFA has plenty of buildup, as its gameplay speed is slower than PES, and it's harder to move through the midfield than in PES.

But the biggest difference between PES and FIFA remains the lack of offensive variety in FIFA. Nearly every team in the demo plays the same way. The CPU rarely switches field or passes backward when solid human defense blunts an attack. PES' AI does change up and back pass. FIFA isn't terrible -- far from it. But PES is better is on the pitch, without question. The days of dispute over this are done, at least for this year.

Still, I'm buying FIFA for a few reasons. One, my 14-year-old son adores FIFA. Two, there is a better variety of game modes and full licenses for a $60 game, especially Volta. Three, I'm on the Xbox, so no option files. Four, I'm also banking on PES 2020 showing up quickly in GamePass, just like PES 2018 and 2019 did. So I'll play FIFA until the New Year and hopefully switch to PES full time once it drops into GamePass.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Paul,

No doubt if I only owned a Xbox One, FIFA 20 would be my first and perhaps only soccer purchase. And for a 14 year old, it's sublime with all the packed features included. I'm almost sold on the presentation alone! I'm sure he'll absolutely get a lot of play out of the Volta mode. I'm actually looking forward to playing against my son this weekend and seeing how he enjoys it.

Unfortunately, the limited number of teams in the demo are pretty much all attacking teams. Perhaps we'll see some differentiation from other clubs. I'd love for that to be the case, because there's little game play subtleties and animations that I prefer in Fifa over PES. I do feel that Fifa is slowly making strides though with regards to offline play.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:But the biggest difference between PES and FIFA remains the lack of offensive variety in FIFA. Nearly every team in the demo plays the same way.
That's always been an issue with FIFA and don't forget the "me vs the world gameplay". I skipped last year for the first time since FIFA 96. It became a yearly purchase for me but with Career Mode taking a backseat to FUT I decided, to skip.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I played a good bit of the demo this past weekend, and dang it I think I prefer Fifa to PES now, or at the very least, I'll own both. I really had a lot fun playing against the CPU. What I initially described as a full throttle offense by the CPU isn't necessarily so. If you play smart defensively, they seemingly are thinking of different ways to attack. There is some build up, but what I am also noticing and and enjoying is some human-like occasional errors caused by the CPU. Their passing or runs won't always be precise, and they do tend to slow things down every now and then. It's not to the variety as PES, but it's not as bad I initially thought. And compared to the rest of EA's sports lineup, the visuals and presentation is just a few notches above.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

sportdan30 wrote:I played a good bit of the demo this past weekend, and dang it I think I prefer Fifa to PES now, or at the very least, I'll own both. I really had a lot fun playing against the CPU. What I initially described as a full throttle offense by the CPU isn't necessarily so. If you play smart defensively, they seemingly are thinking of different ways to attack. There is some build up, but what I am also noticing and and enjoying is some human-like occasional errors caused by the CPU. Their passing or runs won't always be precise, and they do tend to slow things down every now and then. It's not to the variety as PES, but it's not as bad I initially thought. And compared to the rest of EA's sports lineup, the visuals and presentation is just a few notches above.
Agree. I think both demos are really solid this year. Two games in their stride. Real competition -- not NBA Live vs. NBA 2K -- breeds improvements in EA and Konami football games.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Fifa is on EA Access now.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but Fifa is on EA Access now.
Thanks!
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

TheTruth wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but Fifa is on EA Access now.
Thanks!
Giddy up.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I still like the PES player models better. If you want to see how the game plays online try Head vs now as the servers are ideal, very smooth, UT maybe a differ t story by next week. Passes are not as accurate depending on who is controlling the ball. The game is not much different from the demo, still fast for my personal taste.

Offline matches maybe more realistic is you want to experience a slower pace gameplay even in the more difficult settings but with Fifa you’ll always have that ping pong effect in online matches.

I used to be a nerd trying to build different teams in FUT but since the last couple season my interest in SBC’s have diminished somehow. You just can’t compete with the big guns if you don’t spend big bucks on big players.

Still, FUT will be my main mode.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Fine FIFA 20 review from the brilliant Eurogamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... d-the-room

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yep, FUT has been brilliant for me for the past decade+ only to be ruined lately by the low probabilities of getting a premium player never mind superstar status in the pay to win packages that are offered daily. A brilliant marketing plot by EA, these guys make their true bread in these packages and not the game itself. Young lads that can afford their fat daddy’s wallet until they get the player of their dreams.

A loot box in disguise that brings millions to the coffins of EA yearly.

Volta after only a couple of games became boring for me as predicted, but you can use that venue to sharpen your skills moves.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

EA and 2K should just give their games away for free because they have basically become Freemium games. Both companies make most of their money after the sale

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

After playing quite a few Fifa games over this weekend, I can say I'm extremely happy w/ the on field improvements this year.

A few notes.

The ball is getting more PES like. Not every pass is foot to foot, they go awry - the AI makes bad passes and turns it over sometimes if there is pressure. The loose balls in the box are plentiful as they should be.

It's a lot harder to hit long shots this year, even w/ the finesse shot. Pace, footedness and angle is ultra important this year. Back in the day PES was the only game that really took into account how fast your player was moving. Fifa has finally started implementing. You can't be sprinting full speed and fire off shots in all corners like previous iterations. They've made it a lot more difficult.

Graphics are basically the same...there is a little field degradation, which is cool. But not really that apparently like it is in american football.

One thing that's cool in Squad Battles FUT is that finally you can play in other stadiums as the visitor. Previously you were always the home team at the same time/weather every single game. Now the stadium changes at least (haven't noticed weather/time now that I think about it tho).

Not sure I like the new FUT interface. The wheel that pops up to do quick actions for your players is ridiculously clunky. And swapping players is way harder than it should be...the search function and filter is convoluted and confusing.

Overall a solid update...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Fifa 21 News

Post by 10spro »

The game is out on EA Play. Had a couple of quick games but I know the gameplay is different once I move down to FUT. Just noticed more fouls call, game is more strategic, zebras are not as shy showing the yellow card and in general corners, air balls are more dangerous than 20. As usual new skills set are available and shooting not as accurate.

You can try it for 10 hours, game is out next week.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:40 pm
The game is out on EA Play. Had a couple of quick games but I know the gameplay is different once I move down to FUT. Just noticed more fouls call, game is more strategic, zebras are not as shy showing the yellow card and in general corners, air balls are more dangerous than 20. As usual new skills set are available and shooting not as accurate.

You can try it for 10 hours, game is out next week.
The problem with FIFA is not the game you are currently playing but the game you will be playing in 4-6 months after they tune the game in favor of the eSports crowd. So FIFA tends to release as a somewhat balanced game and it slowly turns into an unbalanced game as the eSports and online community exploit money plays and the compliaining commences and EA responds.

I think it was FIFA 16 that first introduced the long ball passing by the CPU which was eventually nerfed.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... oxes-again

Eurogamer's review: "There's a lot to like on the pitch, which makes FIFA 21's failings all the more frustrating. The game feels almost arcadey. Players are certainly more responsive than in FIFA 20, and passing is crisp (although occasionally it veers on the pinball-like). Fast forwards are, early days at least, king. It's an absolute goal-fest, too. I'm not sure whether this is the result of defending feeling a lot trickier than it has done in recent years, or that defenders sometimes feel improbably sluggish, or that shooting from pretty much anywhere is reliable (finesse long shots are very much back), or that the goalkeepers don't seem much use at all, but I often score five or six goals per game and concede just as many, if not more."

^^^ That said they do like it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I actually disagree with most of that statement you quoted.

Fast ALWAYS sells in FIFA...it's the trait the game is built around. Through balls and run. There's a reason that all of the 90+ pace rated guys sell for the most on the transfer market in FUT. That's EA's money maker, so they cater to that crowd.

The defending is harder than last year, for sure...if you don't strafe tackle, you're toast. And there will be a TON of fouls given while doing this as well. So it's just balancing that out...10 games in, still figuring that part out.

Passing is the single biggest difference...there is NOT as much pinballing as years past because half the time, the passes are awry if your player isn't a highly rated passer, using his weak foot, or sprinting. You really have to set your feet and pass or it's a crapshoot. That's the biggest PLUS in my book as well. Crosses are extremely difficult to put on a head but at least this year you can head the ball, rather than it being nerfed like last year. Also, the opposing AI will actually pass backwards now, even to the keeper, to get out of trouble. Stuff you haven't seen from an EA soccer game before.

There are a lot more bounces now...and a few weird things like rocket headers and cannon bounces off goal posts, but overall it's a really nice improvement over last year in my book. It's finally getting a little more realistic in terms of the flow. It's a little slower paced as well. So them saying it's arcadey, more so than previous years is just wrong IMO.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

The Operation Sports review is up now
Bottom Line
Pre-match, FIFA 21 is an excellent game. The match presentation, the graphics, the more responsive menus and all of the licenses go a long way towards providing the immersion we expect in 2020. Unfortunately, once the match kicks off things falls apart.

Ramped up animation speed, overpowered dribbling — including the almost comical new agile dribbling — and poor AI make this one of the weaker FIFA releases on this current generation of consoles. Perhaps the pandemic stretched resources and the next-gen consoles exasperated the issues, but as of right now FIFA 21 is a letdown.

A divided community (offline vs. FUT) and those competing priorities leave the future of FIFA in doubt. Will FIFA make strides in the future towards being a simulation or will it be a flashy card game? We might never know, but the FIFA 21 I’m playing today is simply not good enough.
Full review

https://www.operationsports.com/fifa-21 ... -gameplay/
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

As in any version of FIFA, EA tries to cater the game to the casual gamer (Volta), the offline crowd (career mode seems improved) and I should try it this year and of course the hardcore FUT guys like myself. There are things to like here but also features where it’s not executed properly.

The agile dribbling while nice, can’t be applied with the same success % with a player like say Kante, in an effort to make him look an Mbappe. The execution of that move itself sometimes leave you with a lost ball if you press the wrong move.

Headers are back, at least it seems more balance where you couldn’t but a goal last year. And if it seems that some are more powerful, it’s because you can add that extra mileage with Lb/Rb buttons.

I usually play on World Tour level and so far I find the games much more challenging and difficult to hold a lead. Sure, everyone is still building their dream teams, it’s early and defending if not done properly, is definitely more punishing.

And you all know EA will come out with a patch shortly to address those malcontent players, to me just keep the frame smooth online, servers steady and the little features added this year will come together.

At times, I feel like I am learning to play a new game which is good, offline the AI is smarter and can intercept your passes easily.

There’s an extra feel of difficulty from the games that I played so far and under the current WT level that I am playing I definitely lost my share of games more than in 20.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I have been getting torched online the first few days as I can't play a lick of defense! Any help?
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I just ordered the game for $30. How is the next gen update?
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:03 am
I just ordered the game for $30. How is the next gen update?
Looks beautiful, but I still prefer the game play of PES.