OT: California to Texas

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: California to Texas

Post by TCrouch »

Looking for general input here. An opportunity has presented itself for me to get out of California, which I've wanted to do for years. My company is relocating its main headquarters to Texas, and have offered to pay for the move to any local staff who want to go. I've been with this company for almost 18 years now, and been a department manager for the past 3, but I've been in California for almost my entire life (brief stays outside when in the Navy and one year in Indianapolis in 2001 attempting to help an ill-fated Indycar team get started).

The kicker here is that they'll pay for the move, and I'll instantly lose my 13% California state income tax, moving to 0% for Texas. And the biggest part is they will not re-adjust my salary for the state move, so I'll essentially be making CA wages and living in TX. In my county, the 'cost of living scale' is 184/100, so it's almost double the national average. It's not as bad as San Francisco or LA, but for the amount of people living here, it's insane. Median house cost is something like $637,000 in my county.

The amount of house we get for that money is comically bad, as well. For what I paid here, I'd have a 3,500 sq 6 bedroom house in TX. I don't need that, nor will I get that, though. I have seen some beautiful homes for 250-300K there, and I'm running out of reasons not to jump at it. I'd save about $2,000 per month instantly with the move, and (for me), that's nothing to sneeze at. However, they're not CLOSING this building, so I could stay exactly where I'm at and nothing would change drastically--at least for now. I have learned never to trust these types of situations, because if most people go and there's only 3 or 4 people in a 2-building facility, that makes no sense, fiscally for the company. But the company President is deeply embedded in this area, so she's staying. Just little wrinkles everywhere in the process, but the possibility does exist (currently) to simply stay.

The one big unknown for me is weather and Texas in general. They've offered to send us out a couple of times to check the area out, and looking at school districts and the area in general...I'm really seeing no reason not to go. I know I'm trading in Earthquakes for Hurricanes and Tornados, so there's that. The humidity will suck, and I've been told the bugs are about twice the size as they are here in California.

But is there some "hidden" lifestyle change that I may run into, for those of you who have spent time in Texas? Obviously it's going to be very different from CA, but I don't want to get there and in a year regret it. I know nobody can make up my mind for me, so I'm just looking for any experiences in TX or state to state moves.

I know the post is sort of pointless, sorry. Just a massive decision and since we've all spoken to each other for more than a decade in most cases, I'm curious what you guys have to say.

Thanks!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: California to Texas

Post by Danimal »

Where in Texas, it is a pretty big state and to be perfectly blunt some parts are good and some are back ass redneck
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Danimal wrote:Where in Texas, it is a pretty big state and to be perfectly blunt some parts are good and some are back ass redneck
Good point...sorry. Specifically, Seabrook or League City area. About 40 miles outside of Houston.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

One of my good friends, she just moved to Seabrook and loves it. Message me on Group Me and I can get you in touch with here if you want.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:
Danimal wrote:Where in Texas, it is a pretty big state and to be perfectly blunt some parts are good and some are back ass redneck
Good point...sorry. Specifically, Seabrook or League City area. About 40 miles outside of Houston.
Beautiful area!

I live about an hour from there.

Lived in the area for 36 years. I am retiring in this area. Love it!

It gets hot here and humid. That will be the biggest change. I have lived in Texas my who life except for the year I spent in New Orleans with the Saints which was much hotter.

Seabrook and League City tend to be a bit cooler being right on the Gulf of Mexico.

Lots to see and do there.

PM me if you need more details.....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

At least you can see a Hurricane coming. These earthquakes here are no joke. I'd move, but my heart is in AZ more than Texas. Not a humidity fan. LOL.

Good luck w/ your decision. I probably would go if I were you. Sounds sketchy to stay in Cali...unless you find another local job completely. Companies are ruthless when it comes to closing facilities sometimes.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I agree with DB -- I think if the company headquarters is moving, you want to stay with the company long term, and you were already looking to leave Cali, moving makes sense. Houston will be hot as balls compared to where you are, and I think a life in dry California cannot really prepare you for the damp sweatsock that is summer in the Deep South. But at least it won't be cold too.

It's tough because you'll have to make a leap of faith. I think in this case, since you have been looking for a reason to leave, this seems like as good a nudge as any.

Good luck, Terry!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Thanks, guys. Greatly appreciate the input.

My fear is it takes forever for me to train a tech. If one of their selling points is the hiring pool being so much larger--I'm going to end up back and forth from CA to TX anyway any time I hire a guy. Just seems like you're either there where the growth is, or waiting to be phased out by somebody who is. They've never done anything like that here (nobody has ever quit at my company, except for me the one year I tried Indycar racing, but I came back!), but you never know.

Being a remote employee is just asking to be an afterthought. All of the stuff I've heard about the area, and the things I'm reading here, though, are very encouraging. Thanks again.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

TCrouch wrote:
I'm in Pearl and, which is about 20 miles away. Work in Clear Lake (NASA) so I'm there all the time. We settled in Pearl and because a) the traffic in Clear Lake was ridiculous and b) on the west side of Pearl and we are 12-15 miles from all the action in Houston. FYI, my commute from Pearl and to the Sea brook area is about 30-35 minutes each way thanks to being against traffic.

Houses are cheaper, but property taxes are a killer. Our rate is around 3%. So keep that in mind as it's the gift that always keeps on taking each year.

Weather wise expect to suffer for several years. Do you like to sweat profusely between the car and front door? Come July through September enjoy 100% humidity in the morning. I'm an avid cyclist, and in the heat of the summer I can easily lose 3-4 lb an hour of sweat. July to September sucks, but the rest of the year can be freaking great.

I love Houston. Home to some of the best and most diversified food in the country, it's a total melting pot of people, and fantastic place for activities (world class performing arts and museums, have sports teams, good zoo, and more).

FYI, several of my coworkers commute to Clear Lake from closer to downtown Houston. Because of the flow of traffic, you can be in the heart of Houston and get to the area in 30 minutes. Much more character "inside the loop" than Clear Lake, but you do pay a premium for the housing there. Also, if you have kids, the schools in Clear Lake are in a very good district.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I lived in west Texas (El Paso) when I was in AA. There was no humidity but plenty of drug kingpins! Can't really give input on the area you are looking at but it looks like some guys here are helping out. Good luck dude!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

I don't have specific experience with either area but I do know that if you leave California, it can be tough to get back as house prices rise. Would you consider renting out your current house as a way of hedging your bets? You can always sell it later if Texas works out.

I've only made big moves a couple of times (once as a kid, once as an adult) and both worked out great. The adventure of it all usually trumps the little irritations

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, thought about it, but the cut of having to hire a property management company vs. the rent we could get to cover the mortage is dicey.

I don't want to attempt to manage a property from out of state, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Again, thanks for all the advice and thoughts, guys. Really appreciate it.