Horizon: Zero Dawn

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:
Danimal wrote:I'm absolutely blown away by this game, it is so hard to convey how good the story telling is without giving things away but I so want to discuss it with people. My wife and daughter watched me play for 2 hours because they were so hooked by what was going on, trust me this never happens. We laughed, they got misty eyed and I've literally just scratched the surface. There is one sequence I swore I was watching real life video.

Honestly this is a system seller, I have no idea why they didn't give this more PR. I'll tell you right now, Game of the Year winner because nothing else is coming out that will compare to this.
I don't think I've ever read you gush about a game this much. It truly is an outstanding game.
I don't think there has ever been a game like this. I mean i have some small irks, like how guys in mid air can change direction and hit you when you dodge roll. I could see some of the story coming and some of the voice acting is less than inspired. Honestly none of the matters or detracts from the experience because they tell it so well.

I can't put it down because I want to know what happens next and it is just one great sequence after another in the beginning. As I said last night the highest praise I can give this game is my 13 year old daughter watched me play for 2 hours and cried when Someone died being intentionally vague It usually takes an act of God to get her head out of her phone. This morning she asked if I was going to play again tonight and could she watch.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:
Danimal wrote:I'm absolutely blown away by this game, it is so hard to convey how good the story telling is without giving things away but I so want to discuss it with people. My wife and daughter watched me play for 2 hours because they were so hooked by what was going on, trust me this never happens. We laughed, they got misty eyed and I've literally just scratched the surface. There is one sequence I swore I was watching real life video.

Honestly this is a system seller, I have no idea why they didn't give this more PR. I'll tell you right now, Game of the Year winner because nothing else is coming out that will compare to this.
I don't think I've ever read you gush about a game this much. It truly is an outstanding game.
I don't think there has ever been a game like this. I mean i have some small irks, like how guys in mid air can change direction and hit you when you dodge roll. I could see some of the story coming and some of the voice acting is less than inspired. Honestly none of the matters or detracts from the experience because they tell it so well.

I can't put it down because I want to know what happens next and it is just one great sequence after another in the beginning. As I said last night the highest praise I can give this game is my 13 year old daughter watched me play for 2 hours and cried when Someone died being intentionally vague It usually takes an act of God to get her head out of her phone. This morning she asked if I was going to play again tonight and could she watch.
I've been watching numerous streams of this game on Twitch and Beam and it looks really really good. When people start comparing it to The Last of Us I take notice. I imagine it will look awesome on my PS4 Pro. Ghost Recon, ME Andromeda, The Show 17 and now this. Damnit March, you are killing me.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Diablo25 wrote:I imagine it will look awesome on my PS4 Pro. Ghost Recon, ME Andromeda, The Show 17 and now this. Damnit March, you are killing me.
It's the best looking console game I've ever seen, no performance issues in 4K and HDR.

And agreed on March sucking.
Last edited by TCrouch on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote: I've been watching numerous streams of this game on Twitch and Beam and it looks really really good. When people start comparing it to The Last of Us I take notice. I imagine it will look awesome on my PS4 Pro. Ghost Recon, ME Andromeda, The Show 17 and now this. Damnit March, you are killing me.
As Terry said I don't think I've ever seen a better looking game on a console. March is crazy, This, Ghosts Recon, ME, MLB a must now with a Pro. Hell, I just got the Torment RPG I backed, played it for 30 minutes usually I would be all over it but this game comes before all else.
Follow Me on:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Much like TLOU, when you play the game, it just doesn't really feel like it's just a video game. You're so immersed in the character, the story, you keep wanting more, expecting more. The visuals are amazing, the accompanying music, the narrative. Well done Guerrilla.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Much like TLOU, when you play the game, it just doesn't really feel like it's just a video game. You're so immersed in the character, the story, you keep wanting more, expecting more. The visuals are amazing, the accompanying music, the narrative. Well done Guerrilla.
So you are saying i should get it? :D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Much like TLOU, when you play the game, it just doesn't really feel like it's just a video game. You're so immersed in the character, the story, you keep wanting more, expecting more. The visuals are amazing, the accompanying music, the narrative. Well done Guerrilla.
So you are saying i should get it? :D
Like Danimal was saying, GOTY material. You know how much TLOU meant to PS owners, you won't be disappointed. And I know there's a rash of games out there fitting our styles, with so little time you just don't want to rush this one at all. The game is just too deep.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For those that have the Samsung KS8000 model, I don't get why I am still getting the prompt message to change my TV settings to 4K. I mean the game as I see it, it's already outstanding, but it seems that it's running under 2K with my current settings and cable which are not original PS4 Pro. The resolution on the game is showing 2160P-YUV420 and HDR is automatic and my consoles are connected thru a receiver. (I have a feeling the PS4 Pro must be connected directly to the TV to output HDR)

Suggestions?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'd try removing the receiver from the equation to verify, but that's the only part that makes sense.

Likely some handshake issue. I had Monitors that would do that "connect a valid display" when running them at 144Hz through an Active DVA to Display Port adapter. They'd work, and they'd be just fine, but then every once in a while they'd flicker and display that menu item. It was annoying as hell.

It was the adapters, even though they were "valid" for the application, the prompt kept appearing. On my KS-800D, I haven't had anything like that, though. I just have everything running through the One Connect device, though. No receiver. So I'd remove that and test it.

If it goes away, you have your definitive answer.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Thanks Terry. I had a gut feeling that I would have to take the HDMI off the receiver indeed to have the full 4K experience. Thing is my 65' KS8000 TV is mounted on a wall and I am not sure if I have room for another cable to sneak by it. Still, Horizon looks ridiculous under my current 2K conditions.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

between you f***ers and a guy at work... i caved and bought it. Super glad I did. Fun game so far!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

TCrouch wrote:It was the adapters, even though they were "valid" for the application, the prompt kept appearing. On my KS-800D, I haven't had anything like that, though. I just have everything running through the One Connect device, though. No receiver. So I'd remove that and test it.

OK upon doing some further research, I found the way to get 4K signal working thru my Yamaha receiver. Call it poor manual information, but it was buried somewhere in the booklet which of course no one reads these days. Not sure if it's the same issue with other brands but for some reason the receiver wasn't set to 4K mode 1 on default.

So upon following the proper instructions on my Yamaha AX 481, you have to select the straight button along the power button together bringing you to the 4K option which was set on mode 2 and needed to be at mode 1. With this setup, I can now choose the 2160P RGB option on the PS4 Pro and experience the game with its full potential.

Thank goodness, I just didn't want to squeeze another cable thru the wall since my TV is mounted on it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I have said how good this game is lately because it's bloody f***in brilliant.
Follow Me on:

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

10spro wrote:
TCrouch wrote:It was the adapters, even though they were "valid" for the application, the prompt kept appearing. On my KS-800D, I haven't had anything like that, though. I just have everything running through the One Connect device, though. No receiver. So I'd remove that and test it.

OK upon doing some further research, I found the way to get 4K signal working thru my Yamaha receiver. Call it poor manual information, but it was buried somewhere in the booklet which of course no one reads these days. Not sure if it's the same issue with other brands but for some reason the receiver wasn't set to 4K mode 1 on default.

So upon following the proper instructions on my Yamaha AX 481, you have to select the straight button along the power button together bringing you to the 4K option which was set on mode 2 and needed to be at mode 1. With this setup, I can now choose the 2160P RGB option on the PS4 Pro and experience the game with its full potential.

Thank goodness, I just didn't want to squeeze another cable thru the wall since my TV is mounted on it.
Consider yourself lucky. My Yamaha RX-V381 works great with the XBOX ONE in mode 1, but the PS4 Pro doesn't work - I have to switch back to mode 2. Have tried multiple sets of cables, all of which work fine when the PS4 is connected directly to my LG OLED TV. Other people are having a similar problem with this exact receiver, while others are working just fine. Kinda frustrating, but H:ZD still looks amazing...

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

4K and HDR are fantastic for gaming, but I don't think it was quite ready for prime time. As much as I went back and forth, what I kept coming back to was that I specter this year's TVs and receivers to be much more HDR ready. Next year will probably be even better.

Really looking forward to a review of new QLEDs from Samsung. They may be the answer if they come in with low input lag baked in.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Has anyone reached the grave-hoard yet? Man, without enough items to build on my selection of arrows and short on ammo, it took me quite a few tries to beat the death-bringer. The game still rocks and I am constantly craving for more.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Has anyone reached the grave-hoard yet? Man, without enough items to build on my selection of arrows and short on ammo, it took me quite a few tries to beat the death-bringer. The game still rocks and I am constantly craving for more.
My buddy says the only thing that bugs him about the game is you can't loot after you've finished off a level...that once it goes to a cut scene you can't do it. True?
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Has anyone reached the grave-hoard yet? Man, without enough items to build on my selection of arrows and short on ammo, it took me quite a few tries to beat the death-bringer. The game still rocks and I am constantly craving for more.
My buddy says the only thing that bugs him about the game is you can't loot after you've finished off a level...that once it goes to a cut scene you can't do it. True?
On this particular level, once the beast is at about 1/4 health, the items available to loot are small. That's when you really have to strategize in between running, crafting your weapons and shooting. It's very tempting to keep shooting at the b!tch when she's showing all her glowing spots, and that's what I was doing while getting massacred.

It took me awhile to finish her but you gotta keep on running wisely and picking the perfect timing to shoot at her. Keep watching Aloy's health meter too but basically the items are there for you to pick up, it's just much harder to do on the run while being constantly shot at every angle, even when you're crouching for cover.

This particular level was challenging for me because as I mentioned, I didn't have enough arrows to start with. But that's what I love about the game too, you just don't shoot at blanks all the time, there's quite a bit of strategizing too.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just when you thought the Death-Bringer was a bad a$$, try dealing with the Behemonth b!tch. You do get a much improved Focus should you succeed. 8) A fantastic story so far...

I just know that HZD and MLB 17 will get the core of my gameplay for the PS4.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I wish I could fully express how much I love this game! With so little gaming time anymore, this is the one I decided to dive into and it's been just amazing. It's got such a great balance of free-form, random battles and story-based missions and quests.

I've definitely been doing it a bit wrong in that I've ended up far too high level for what the story missions are rated for, but it hasn't made it any less fun. I just was worried that the story would be over before I had explored enough, and yet now (just completed that Behemoth fight 10s mentioned above) I see that there's still more main story to come.

The combat is so much fun. So many tools at your disposal, such a nice variety of machines that require different types of weapons. Setting traps, firing off the trip-caster, or even overriding a machine or two and letting them go at it - so many fun ways to deal with whatever!

Great, great game. I don't want it to end!

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I picked this up in part because of the recommendations here, and even just a few hours in it's clear how great this game is. I don't think I've seen a game where the world feels as organic as this one does. The creatures and machines roaming about, the way the tall grass moves, the weather...it feels like the world is very much alive.

Can't wait to take my time and soak this one in.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Post by 10spro »

We touched on this beautiful game yesterday during Ice Dragon games. For me it was the most beautiful game on the PS4 by a walk and while the story didn’t grip me at par as ‘The Last of Us’, when I finished the story I was still in awe.

With the new DLC, I decided to repurchase the game which incidentally it’s on sale until tomorrow, including Frozen Wild.

For the PS4, it’s perhaps GOTY stuff for me and I am not a huge RPG guy either.

Enjoy Diablo...

Edit: Now if it only stops asking me for a disc after my digital purchase. It’s a PS thing, same with The Show, after repurchasing from the store it always asks for a disc. Have to delete and reinstall I guess?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:We touched on this beautiful game yesterday during Ice Dragon games. For me it was the most beautiful game on the PS4 by a walk and while the story didn’t grip me at par as ‘The Last of Us’, when I finished the story I was still in awe.

With the new DLC, I decided to repurchase the game which incidentally it’s on sale until tomorrow, including Frozen Wild.

For the PS4, it’s perhaps GOTY stuff for me and I am not a huge RPG guy either.

Enjoy Diablo...

Edit: Now if it only stops asking me for a disc after my digital purchase. It’s a PS thing, same with The Show, after repurchasing from the store it always asks for a disc. Have to delete and reinstall I guess?
The game is absolutely stunning. I only planned on playing the opening sequence just to “see” it because I am deep into Assassins Creed Origins but it sucked me in quick. I played the first quest and I’m hooked. Wow. I need to put it down for a bit so I can finish ACO but I don’t know if I will!

To get the feel for how beautiful this game is watch Digital Foundry’s video below on how gorgeous it is. I didn’t post the embedded video because watching YouTube video’s in the browser at DSP is poor resolution. If you can watch it in 4K on your PC or Smart TV using the YouTube app. It is ridiculous looking in 4K HDR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CggHZkFdTNM&sns=em
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:To get the feel for how beautiful this game is watch Digital Foundry’s video below on how gorgeous it is. I didn’t post the embedded video because watching YouTube video’s in the browser at DSP is poor resolution. If you can watch it in 4K on your PC or Smart TV using the YouTube app. It is ridiculous looking in 4K HDR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CggHZkFdTNM&sns=em
Wow. I'm not a PS4 owner, but that's stunning. The pink skies and moving clouds are next level.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

This game is ridiculously good. Great story, super combat, great crafting and leveling...just a AAA game - period. I recently finished Assassins Creed Origins and this game is better.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25