MLB The Show 17

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB The Show 17

Post by 10spro »

I don't think the current YouTube settings would make my video any true justice in trying to show my exhibition game in true HDR 4K mode, but here's my first Grand Salami of 17 in an exhibition game vs the Royals while hitting on Dynamic.

There are some lingering issues in the game, for example when you have a pinch hitter replacing an active pitcher and when the inning is over, the same hitter is about ready to pitch. AI pitchers need to be replaced sooner too.

Not sure if they've taken out the video review, but they were a couple of instances I would have liked to see closely what happened exactly but was unable to do so. Case in point, I thought I was out with the second hitter but was eventually called in safe.

Played a bunch of 'Play Now' games basically, and I do hope that the network issues get fixed soon, come on Sony this is 2017 already.

Here's the sequence of loading up the bases and eventually Davis hitting it out of the park. Watch on the 1:55 mark how the first baseman is pulled out of 1st base due to a poor throw, followed with a nice animation and eventually creating a nightmare for the opposition.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

There are still some really annoying animation issues, especially when it comes to collision detection w/ walls and players. Guys go into the "run into the wall" animation WAAAAAY too far away. They'd easily be able to stop and yet it still makes them run into the wall, resulting it late throws or extra bases. Has happened to me 4 or 5 times already.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Nice video 10sPro...tough inning for the Royals!

I think I've had one screwy animation thus far with my player feeling like he's been sucked in to the wall. That's disappointing to hear you've had more than a few of those because they said this had been fixed. Overall though, I do like the feel of the fielding in the outfield.

I've experienced some bad a.i. logic with the opposing pitcher and first baseman failing to cover bunts. I drag bunted hard up the first base line and Rizzo ran to the bag instead of fielding the ball. Infield hit and scooped up by the second baseman.

Home runs are generally bombs over 350 plus feet. Hope that can be resolved.

I'm ready for a new pitching interface. Will stick with "classic" for the majority of my playing time. I did experiment with analog and that felt pretty good. Not a fan of the meter because it's just too slow imo. I do like it better when there are runners on base.

Dansby Swanson made an unbelievable play going to his right and backhanding and throwing a slow Molina out at first. Very cool fielding play nonetheless.

The starter stamina slider seems that it needs to be increased a click or two.

I lowered foul ball frequency down to 3 because once again the a.i. just battles and battles wearing my starter out. I don't seem to have the same luxury.

Really nice to see that from what I can tell the Cardinals players have their appropriate face scans. Except perhaps Matheny. Doesn't look too much like him.

From a distance, the crowd looks really good. Some of the up close shots.....meh.

The stadiums are beautiful. Sorry Db, I didn't find the new Atlanta stadium that cool. Maybe all that money is going in to the football stadium.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:The stadiums are beautiful. Sorry Db, I didn't find the new Atlanta stadium that cool. Maybe all that money is going in to the football stadium.
Not offended at all...I agree. See what I said last page. :)
dbdynsty25 wrote:Not a fan of Suntrust Park tho...so generic compared to Turner. RIP.
The one thing we've gotta remember is there could be some finishing touches on the REAL stadium that haven't made it into The Show...but just overall it's bland and uninspired to me.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:The stadiums are beautiful. Sorry Db, I didn't find the new Atlanta stadium that cool. Maybe all that money is going in to the football stadium.
Not offended at all...I agree. See what I said last page. :)
dbdynsty25 wrote:Not a fan of Suntrust Park tho...so generic compared to Turner. RIP.
The one thing we've gotta remember is there could be some finishing touches on the REAL stadium that haven't made it into The Show...but just overall it's bland and uninspired to me.
Fortunately Turner is still alive and well in the Show. I think they may be banking on the experience in and around the park as much as in it.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Only got to play briefly last night. Played a day game in Toronto for a few innings. I still can't get over how good this game looks.

Anyways, decided to switch it up and try zone hitting. In the very first inning, I went back to back to back against Stroman with Carpenter, Grichuk and Piscotty. I've never done that before. Granted, I was playing on Veteran, but it was still crazy to start the first inning like that.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

anyone else noticing some framerate hiccups in cut scenes when playing with 4K HDR settings? Seems to get a little choppy at times.
GT = Wilk5280

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wilk5280 wrote:anyone else noticing some framerate hiccups in cut scenes when playing with 4K HDR settings? Seems to get a little choppy at times.
Yeah, not the smoothest if you have the slider set up all the way. I settled on 40% of the slide and it was slightly better.

On Diamond Dynasty mode they were still some lingering issues with the servers at peak hours. Still couldn't get an online game but at least Conquest was fine. Got enough Stubbs to get my team into the late 70's level and enough to win some fans. Just an addicting mode for me, play three innings and move on while trying to accomplish some missions.

Found another small glitch with a 'Flashcard' player where he was batting left handed vs a left handed pitcher but he was supposed to be right handed. It was corrected the next time he was up.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

People in hell, you need to thank me for your cool glass of ice water this morning. This is not an April Fools joke. I now own a brand new PS4 Slim and MLB The Show 17. I actually picked it up last night, but I've only had a little time to get accommodated to the game. Looking forward to a deep dive.
Last edited by Aristo on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congratz man. A beautiful game that simulates baseball to its true form, there's enough modes in there to please everyone. There's as usual a few bugs and glitches but usually they are pretty fast with roster updates and quick patches.

GT is 'xeneixe' for me if you wanna play online.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Aristo wrote:People in hell, you need to thank me for your cool glass of ice water this morning. This is not an April Fools joke. I now own a brand new PS4 Slim and MLB The Show 17. I actually picked it up last night, but I've only had a little time to get accommodated to the game. Looking forward to a deep dive.
Congrats Aristo! Its an AWESOME game. Enjoy!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

10spro wrote:GT is 'xeneixe' for me if you wanna play online.
WTF

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

My alter ego in Diamond Dynasty. Such a beautiful game.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
10spro wrote:GT is 'xeneixe' for me if you wanna play online.
WTF
You're British, you don't understand.

That's a nice green Diablo.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Really enjoying the game so far. I'm still trying to nail down the camera view I like for hitting. I'm a hard time reading balls and strikes. But I'm finding the game to be pretty damn great.

I need to spend more time mastering the controls, which I still find to be less than ideal. But once I nail them down, I'm really looking forward to putting Diamond Dynasty through its paces. I love that you can can customize your team so thoroughly, all the way down to your uniforms and logos.

But that licensed MLB game itch is being scratched well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:Really enjoying the game so far. I'm still trying to nail down the camera view I like for hitting. I'm a hard time reading balls and strikes. But I'm finding the game to be pretty damn great.
I use WIDE hitting w/ the classic baserunning. The new baserunning they introduced a few years ago is terrible IMO. The rest of the controls are just like normal obviously...but if it's your first time playing The Show...it can be daunting.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Did you get to watch the Braves v Yanks exhibition at Sun Trust Friday night Scott ? Might have to hold judgement on the bland look to it. Any road trips to the Atl. this year.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Aristo wrote:Really enjoying the game so far. I'm still trying to nail down the camera view I like for hitting. I'm a hard time reading balls and strikes. But I'm finding the game to be pretty damn great.
I use WIDE hitting w/ the classic baserunning. The new baserunning they introduced a few years ago is terrible IMO. The rest of the controls are just like normal obviously...but if it's your first time playing The Show...it can be daunting.

I'll give that batting came a shot. I'm getting better, but Im still not drawing walks. I did just finish a nice 5-3 comeback over the cubs, and I was able to get their pitch count up to 116. But I was facing Lester, so I want to wait until I face some more mediocre talent before judging too much.

That win was pretty much why i wanted an MLB game. It was a nice 2-1 pitcher's duel, with Martinez going 6.2. I brought in Brett Cecil to get some lefties out. I decided to let him pitch to Bryant instead of bringing in a RHP, because Rizzo was after him. Bryant made me pay to make the game 3-1 in the top of the 8th.

But in the bottom, Chicago went with Rondon. My thought then was to make him pay the way the USA did in the WBC. With one out I pinch hit lefties, and single and SB from Wong. A double from Matt Adams made it 3-2. Then, just like it was a script, Fowler hit an absolute bomb to put the good guys up 4-3. Aledmys Diaz then made it 5-3 with a solo shot. That was it for Rondon, and Oh came in in the 9th and got the save.

I'm using Dynamic Difficulty right now, as I settle into the game. That's an awesome feature. I'm going back and forth on throwing controls, between buttons and analog. Not sure where I will settle.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

In my opinion, the secret (if there is one) to hitting is looking as precisely as possible at the release point of the pitch. Yeah, I know, sounds like a simple, "no s***" statement. Soft focus on the pitcher until the point of release then look directly at the release point. it makes a world of difference. The walks will start coming.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

This is how my current uniform looks like although I am still on the process of tinkering around with it. Not sure how you added the fonts Diablo, did you import it from someone? In any case, I got my first territory Conquest by busting the game open in the second inning after one out. This is how I got to cover all the bases when I started hitting it out of the park all of the sudden. Luv this mode.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

snaz16 wrote:Did you get to watch the Braves v Yanks exhibition at Sun Trust Friday night Scott ? Might have to hold judgement on the bland look to it. Any road trips to the Atl. this year.
Was planning on hitting it up this year sometime. Haven't quite figured out which series to go to yet. Need to get on that.

I watched highlights, that's it. It's just meh to me. Too similar to Turner, yet not as many nuances to me. Multi leveled fences (brick/padding) are annoying to me. LOL. I like how Turner had the chain link in right with the scoreboard in it, and the little gap between the wall and the fans (Jeffery Mayer, suck it)...little things like that were different. This one is meh. We'll see in a couple weeks when they actually start playing for real there. The grass sure looked good. :)

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

This game is so amazing. I didn't get a lot of time to play 16 last year, so I wanted to get 17 so I could have a lot of time and see if I could get through a season. So far I have been playing Play Nows with the adaptive difficulty to see where I wind up, and also waiting for a roster update to start a franchise.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Absolutely loving my Diamond Dynasty uniforms. These are the road ones. I'll post a video of the home ones later. As far as the fonts 10s...i just used the fonts/letters in the jersey creator. If you hit the A button while in the jersey edit screens scroll down to "More Options". In there it says "Show Player". You can see what any edit looks like on the uniform as you choose them. There is a decent learning curve with the uniform editor but I got the hang of it last year.

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The thing I love about this game is how it feels like an accomplishment when you succeed. Was just goofing around in a game with the Cubs at the Rockies, and I got surprisingly rocked by Colorado while pitching with Jake Arrieta and was down 6-3. Came back to win 7-6 as Javy Baez went 4-4 with 5 rbis, including a 3-run dinger. In the other sports games I play (NBA 2k and Madden), I don't usually feel the same charge from having a player go off like that.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

While waiting for the OS rosters, I decided to try out the Challenge of the Week. An hour and fifteen minutes later, I forced myself to shut down the system. What an addicting mode that glorifies how much I stink! But fun nonetheless.