Ghost Recon Wildlands

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands

Post by Diablo25 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Hand job? What button is that.
Haha. Would have been better than getting mowed down like we were.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I went into the second area last night, holy shitballs does it get harder.

I think my biggest problem will be I don't think I can play this on the XB1, it was making me feel sick where the PC isn't, clearly something to do with sitting closer to the screen I guess.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I adore this game, more as I continue to play it. The new area that opens up after you complete the six main missions in the first area is wildly different. Arid, snowy peaks and dry dusty ground replace the lushness of the first area, and as PK attested, the only mission we tried was DAMN hard. First, no foliage cover makes approaches much trickier, plus, I really think that the enemies are smarter, more lethal, and more plentiful. I LOVE how they flank, call in backup, and damn at the mortar strikes!

It's just a sheer joy that I haven't experienced since the early days of GR. It's gonna be a long, LONG week from the end of the beta to the release of the full version... :D . BUT, I'm ready to spend that week killing Nazis with all who want to do some co-op, adversarial, or any mix of the two in Sniper Elite 4 this coming week to fill the void!
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I was just trying that mission to kill the 3 military trainers, got the first one done and then alarms went off, 3 helicopters buzzing over head. Made it another 5 minutes. Them being able to jam the drones is a nut buster.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My only fear now about this game is that it won't sell well because the COD/Halo set will think it's too hard and that it lacks futuristic weapons.

But the GR franchise has such a legacy that I would hope Ubisoft will continue it even if sales are low. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised and this game sells like condoms at the exit ramp of a troop ship in Bangkok.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Man, this game is damn FUN. I just had about a 2 hour session of greatness. Hell, the last 45 minutes was me just flying choppers around the map, (parachuting in) to grab Skill Points. Level up for some great stuff. This thing is going to be so much fun cooping once the final version arrives.

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I must admit even I am tempted.

Looks awesome.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The wife and I have been playing co op all day on PS4. We cleared the second zone in its entirety.... Took out the second boss guy and collected all the Collectables. A week can't pass quickly enough lol

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:My only fear now about this game is that it won't sell well because the COD/Halo set will think it's too hard and that it lacks futuristic weapons.

But the GR franchise has such a legacy that I would hope Ubisoft will continue it even if sales are low. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised and this game sells like condoms at the exit ramp of a troop ship in Bangkok.
I honestly don't think that'll happen. I've seen too many videos of the Mountain Dew set acting like damn idiots in the game, treating it like Just Cause 3. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with those asshats, and can play it the way it's meant to be played.

And I've tooled around some more with Wrek and one of his buddies, clearing the main missions of the beta. It's STILL not easy with 3 people, but it can be manageable if you take your time, knock out the alarms and snipers first, go quiet all the time, and have a trusty exfil ride close by... :D On a couple of those missions, they went into the compound while I stayed outside on the long gun providing cover. It's so awesome!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV wrote:I must admit even I am tempted.

Looks awesome.
There you go, get off your MUT and bring it. Vader and Diablo are playing it, you next?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Teal wrote:And I've tooled around some more with Wrek and one of his buddies, clearing the main missions of the beta. It's STILL not easy with 3 people, but it can be manageable if you take your time, knock out the alarms and snipers first, go quiet all the time, and have a trusty exfil ride close by... :D On a couple of those missions, they went into the compound while I stayed outside on the long gun providing cover. It's so awesome!
Yep--my wife and I were simply a duo through both zones. She doesn't have the best aim, so when we sync shot and one of us misses...well, all Hell breaks loose :lol:

It's an incredible sense of satisfaction when you can get through a heavily defended area without them knowing you were even there, however. We were able to pick off all 3 of the training commanders without raising the alarm, and then I crawled in and planted C4 on the drone jammer and SAM sites. Blew them on our way out (from an external cliff, a good 300 meters outside of the compound), like some sort of action movie scene.

There are times that the game feels without equal, in the co-op department. But a good, fully coordinated squad of 4 would be mighty fun. Sometimes there are just too many guys for 2 people to get. In some of the Montuyoc "steal the chopper" missions, or "defend the radio" side missions---there are just too many enemies for 1 or 2 guys to take out. With a couple of crack shots it can likely be done on the first try, but we needed a few tries on some of the missions just because one missed shot can lead to a mission failure with the odds stacked so heavily against you.

When all was said and done, however, we collected everything, did everything, and were hungry for more. And my wife doesn't just sit down and play co-op games for hours. Something about Ghost Recon, honestly. It's the game that made her want to play "real" games in the first place. Everything that she's played since is owed to GRFS (I think? Maybe it was GRAW or GRAW2), as we played through the entirety of that one.

Wildlands just feels like the culmination of years of Ubisoft's work on open world 3rd person combat games. The world feels lived in, not like everything is just waiting for you to show up. I saw traffic jams when civilians got into fender benders. Firefights break out between the rebels and cartel/Unidad guys from far away. I like that villagers are genuinely going about their business unti you walk up to them and they sort of freak out.

The exploration, the combat, the pure SIGHTS you'll see---however, on Xbox One it really does look pretty bad compared to the PS4 Pro version that's running at 4K. I'm sure DigitalFoundry or some of those guys will post comparison videos, but it's rather hard to look at on the same TV compared to the PS4 version.

I bought all 3 of them (XB1, PS4, and PC), however, just because I want to make sure I can co-op with whoever wants to. I'm a MASSIVE fan of this game, and can't wait for the 7th.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I hope the full game is more than going from one region to the next doing the same 3 or 4 kinds of missions over and over. That's what the first two regions felt like to me and it was already feeling repetitive.

My other gripe is that the super indestructible cars take away from the immersion factor.

Why did they have to take Ghost Recon and make it like every other open world game?
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I blew up helicopters and cars with the TAR-21 a lot.

Then again, I think I did have the 60% damage boost to vehicles. Would only take one clip to send guys scurrying from the vehicle in most cases.

I don't know, though. It's still plenty Ghost Recon for me. I'm 100% all in on it, even though I can see the mission type getting repeated a lot. But there were others that we never even did (never saw a mission for the 'gun' icon, where you can call in rebel support if you clear them?). I liked some of them, like storming the buildings to hack a server. You couldn't tell what you were going to get once you got inside, and had to work quickly to pass them. Those were cool change ups, but there does only seem to be like 5 mission types.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:The wife and I have been playing co op all day on PS4. We cleared the second zone in its entirety.... Took out the second boss guy and collected all the Collectables. A week can't pass quickly enough lol
I was looking for you on the PC all day yesterday. Are you going to pick this up on the PC when it releases?
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I took out a helicopter yesterday with a well place grenade launcher shot. I also love calling in a Mortar strike when the s*** hits the fan, allows my team to extract and regroup.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I'm plenty impressed with the looks of the XB1 version. I'm never going to be one of those who owns multiple systems, not pouring over comparison videos, plus I can pop out a another game, pop this one in, and don't have a jarring reaction of any kind. Of course, I know I haven't had the new hotness for 3 years like most of you, either, so... It all looks great to me... :D

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

If all you see is black and white then you have no idea what you're missing in color. :D

Now granted I tried this on a standard old launch XB1 so I imagine it looks better on a XB1s but the standard version was not good compared to the PC version. I'm not a graphics whore by any stretch but I need to be able to play a game without feeling physically sick and the XB version did that to me. I should of downloaded it again on my XB1s to see if that resolved it.

I'm in a quandary as besides Terry none of my Pc shooter buddies are going to get this.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Granted :wink: But I'm going from a 40 inch 720p TV and an Xbox 360, to a 65 inch 4K ultra TV and an Xbox One S literally overnight, so I'm plenty impressed without the need to go further . Plus, I'd be interested to see if there's a difference downloading it to the S versus the standard. PLUS PLUS... I'd love this game even on the 360... :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Danimal wrote:
TCrouch wrote:The wife and I have been playing co op all day on PS4. We cleared the second zone in its entirety.... Took out the second boss guy and collected all the Collectables. A week can't pass quickly enough lol
I was looking for you on the PC all day yesterday. Are you going to pick this up on the PC when it releases?
Bought all 3 versions, so yeah. I'm covered. If I'm not on the PS4 in co-op with Jill, I'll be on PC when I'm playing by myself.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Danimal wrote:If all you see is black and white then you have no idea what you're missing in color. :D

Now granted I tried this on a standard old launch XB1 so I imagine it looks better on a XB1s but the standard version was not good compared to the PC version.
It looked like ass on both the old XB1 and XB1 S on side by side TVs the first night when my wife and I tried to play on Xbox. Even the upscaling of the 1S doesn't even come close to how the PS4 version looks on the same TV. And the non-Pro PS4 version of hers looked fantastic.

That said, I had no problems playing it for a while. It's still a great game, it's just a lower resolution and has some weird texture crap going on. And when you go up in the air in a chopper, pause, and then switch inputs and look at the other, it's jarring. You can make out individual trees and shadows for what seems like a mile away on PS4, but on the XB1, it's just a muddied mess. Doesn't affect the up close gameplay, however. Just looks worse, nothing horrible.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal wrote:Granted :wink: But I'm going from a 40 inch 720p TV and an Xbox 360, to a 65 inch 4K ultra TV and an Xbox One S literally overnight, so I'm plenty impressed without the need to go further . Plus, I'd be interested to see if there's a difference downloading it to the S versus the standard. PLUS PLUS... I'd love this game even on the 360... :D
Yeah for me it's not a matter of playing the best looking version but when I say it made me sick on the XB1 that is not hyperbole, I actually felt like puking and had to abruptly quit on Vader. I should of given it another try before the beta ended on the XB1 because there will be amply opportunities to play coop for that system.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:
Teal wrote:Granted :wink: But I'm going from a 40 inch 720p TV and an Xbox 360, to a 65 inch 4K ultra TV and an Xbox One S literally overnight, so I'm plenty impressed without the need to go further . Plus, I'd be interested to see if there's a difference downloading it to the S versus the standard. PLUS PLUS... I'd love this game even on the 360... :D
Yeah for me it's not a matter of playing the best looking version but when I say it made me sick on the XB1 that is not hyperbole, I actually felt like puking and had to abruptly quit on Vader. I should of given it another try before the beta ended on the XB1 because there will be amply opportunities to play coop for that system.
I keep choosing the Xbox for one simple reason: gaming with friends. It's the reason I didn't give any thought to the PS3, won't likely the PS4, and don't PC game. It's not where the majority of the guys I game with play... :D I trust that everything looks better on the PS4, and the PC always will be ahead of the curve, but...none of that matters to me. I upgraded at Christmas so I could rejoin the DSP crew. That's it.

As to the motion sickness, VR is the only thing that does that to me thus far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've had that problem with other games before, haven't you? Or am I thinking of someone else? I remember trying to play Firefox on the SNES while already having vertigo, and throwing up everywhere...lol. So I know what it feels like, but I don't think I've suffered from it since then until I put on that PSVR headset at my buddy's tattoo shop. I had to sit still for a few minutes before I could leave... :lol:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Diablo25 wrote:Man, this game is damn FUN. I just had about a 2 hour session of greatness. Hell, the last 45 minutes was me just flying choppers around the map, (parachuting in) to grab Skill Points. Level up for some great stuff. This thing is going to be so much fun cooping once the final version arrives.

Buy this damn thing on the XB1, okay???? lol

I turned on the system this morning, wanting to play a little bit of GR before heading out the door, and forgot that the beta was over... :cry: . BUT, I'll be playing the hell outta Sniper Elite 4 this week to keep my mind off of it... :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Keep your bloody Sniper Elite out of this thread! :lol:

I had to pass on that game with so many other good ones coming out.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

TCrouch wrote:Keep your bloody Sniper Elite out of this thread! :lol:

I had to pass on that game with so many other good ones coming out.
Hell no! It's the only thing that will keep my mind off of GR for a week...lol