Nintendo Switch

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by sportdan30 »

So....I suck at NBA Playgrounds. However, I don't suck as much as I did yesterday. I still can't beat the CPU on Rookie. But, I'm starting to get the hang of it. At first, I couldn't make any jumpers or lay ups. I was shooting like I was playing the NBA 2K series, and it punished me. It's slowly coming along.

I was able to get a few former Jayhawks in my packs, including Embiid! He's a monster in this game, and I'm trying to level him up more than anyone else. I haven't gotten too many good players yet, except I do have Jason Kidd and Derek Rose.

I'm not a fan of the scoring just yet. Perfect shots seem very hard to come by, but the CPU can hit them fairly frequently.

Happy to see that steals aren't overpowering as supposedly they were in the beta.

One thing that bothers me that I hope gets patched. If you shot fake, you can't dribble....am I missing something?

Overall, it's awesome to play on the handheld. The controls are very responsive. One oddity tho. The thing vibrates at certain times during the game and I can't figure out why.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

I also really sucked at first and I agree that playing NBA 2K has a lot to with that.

The best way to feel good about yourself is to rain threes from the corners. It's actually easier than dunks or layups at first. LOL

Game is fun as hell though!
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Yeah, I'm getting the hang of shooting. It's still hit or miss for me when it comes to dunks and layups. Hey, I finally won a game on Exhibition mode.

The dev team is supposedly looking in to the resolution on the Switch. Whether or not they can improve it remains to be seen. I don't think it looks that bad, but anything they can do to optimize it would be welcome.

Also, they've got many complaints about the strong vibration on the Switch when playing this game in handheld mode. That one seems like a pretty high priority for them.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Murph wrote:Here's hoping this is true:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/ ... h-support/
Would love hockey on the Switch! No reason Madden couldn't converted over. It's already on the mobile devices.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Murph wrote:Here's hoping this is true:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/ ... h-support/
You'll find out soon enough as EA's event is next month but the only thing announced is FIFA and speculation is that EA's contract requires them to put FIFA on all platforms or someone else can do it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/12/ ... -tom-brady

No mention of Switch in the Madden 18 reveal. I suppose it's possible a announcement could be made at E3, but I'm thinking no dice.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Murph wrote:http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/12/ ... -tom-brady

No mention of Switch in the Madden 18 reveal. I suppose it's possible a announcement could be made at E3, but I'm thinking no dice.
There's no way...it just doesn't have the horsepower to run it IMO. I can't imagine they'd revamp the entire thing just to get it to run on the Switch. But then again, they are doing it with Fifa, but I think the physics in Fifa are quite a bit easier to render.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Murph wrote:http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/12/ ... -tom-brady

There's no way...it just doesn't have the horsepower to run it IMO. I can't imagine they'd revamp the entire thing just to get it to run on the Switch. But then again, they are doing it with Fifa, but I think the physics in Fifa are quite a bit easier to render.
As i said I believe the FIFA contract requires it to be done. I've heard that on several occasions, it would explain why it is all they are doing sports wise. I think they had terrible sales for EA Sports on previous Nintendo systems.
Follow Me on:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They can do a reduced versions for the Switch.

They did put out FIFA and Madden for that Sony handheld.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Danimal wrote:I think they had terrible sales for EA Sports on previous Nintendo systems.
Other than Tiger, yes they were horrible.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Dave wrote:
Danimal wrote:I think they had terrible sales for EA Sports on previous Nintendo systems.
Other than Tiger, yes they were horrible.
Right which brings the question what is the point. I don't know anyone that owns ONLY a Switch. Why on earth would you want to play crippled versions of EA Sports titles on a Switch if you own other systems.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Right which brings the question what is the point. I don't know anyone that owns ONLY a Switch. Why on earth would you want to play crippled versions of EA Sports titles on a Switch if you own other systems.
Unless you can bring your TV and console into your toilet or when you are away from home the purpose of the Switch is that it's a handheld first and foremost.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote: Unless you can bring your TV and console into your toilet or when you are away from home the purpose of the Switch is that it's a handheld first and foremost.
Doesn't really relate to my point unless you would chose a likely inferior version of Madden on a Switch instead of a PS4 so you could play it while taking a dump. Let's see HDR or Poop particles, Rodster wants the poop particles please. :D
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Rodster wrote: Unless you can bring your TV and console into your toilet or when you are away from home the purpose of the Switch is that it's a handheld first and foremost.
Doesn't really relate to my point unless you would chose a likely inferior version of Madden on a Switch instead of a PS4 so you could play it while taking a dump. Let's see HDR or Poop particles, Rodster wants the poop particles please. :D
It does relate to your point. The Nintendo Switch is primarily a handheld device and as such you accept that it's not going to give you the graphical power of a PS4 or XONE. Fifa on the PS Vita as well as Madden looked great on that handheld. Fifa should look even better on the Switch because it has a higher resolution than Sony's Vita.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:
Danimal wrote:
It does relate to your point. The Nintendo Switch is primarily a handheld device and as such you accept that it's not going to give you the graphical power of a PS4 or XONE. Fifa on the PS Vita as well as Madden looked great on that handheld. Fifa should look even better on the Switch because it has a higher resolution than Sony's Vita.
A lot of people may prefer just being able to pick up a device to turn it on, play for awhile, as opposed to going down to wherever the console is set up, with surround sound, big screen TV, etc. and then waiting for the console to boot, download updates if any.

You can get into a game in seconds on a handheld or mobile device. A console may take you several minutes.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I also think you underestimate the devotion of Nintendo-heads, Dan. I know a couple of people who live and breathe everything Nintendo, and that's their only console.

Granted, we're not "close" friends (because they're insane), but they can't wait for Nintendo releases, don't really care about Xbox or Playstation, and play sports games and anything else they can get their hands on for a Nintendo console.

Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean there aren't people out there who dig it. With the added portability of the Switch for Madden on the go, would I do it? Hell yes I'd do it. It might be inferior on the TV, but that screen is gorgeous for a handheld, and I'd absolutely play that when not near the TV or console. Got a long drive coming up? Take your Red Bull, honey, I've got some CFM games to play! :lol:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:I also think you underestimate the devotion of Nintendo-heads, Dan. I know a couple of people who live and breathe everything Nintendo, and that's their only console.

Granted, we're not "close" friends (because they're insane), but they can't wait for Nintendo releases, don't really care about Xbox or Playstation, and play sports games and anything else they can get their hands on for a Nintendo console.

Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean there aren't people out there who dig it. With the added portability of the Switch for Madden on the go, would I do it? Hell yes I'd do it. It might be inferior on the TV, but that screen is gorgeous for a handheld, and I'd absolutely play that when not near the TV or console. Got a long drive coming up? Take your Red Bull, honey, I've got some CFM games to play! :lol:
Nintendo-heads don't want sports game in my experience they only want Nintendo exclusives. It really doesn't matter what I think, EA cares about sales and historically they haven't done well. I also find it interesting that the narrative now is the Switch is primarily a handheld system. Is that because of its power limitation on a TV and people have just accepted that now? It wasn't marketed primarily as a hand held that I recall.

Plus you and I are a different animal, we will go out and buy 3 copies of a game for 3 different systems. I'm saying the average person is purchasing one copy of Madden or NHL. I guess if the average person spends him majority of gaming on the handheld then perhaps they will take a likely inferior version. However to take that it has to be made and EA has not shown any indication they are doing that.

Honestly do they even have another game announced than FIFA?
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:I also find it interesting that the narrative now is the Switch is primarily a handheld system.
I don't own the system but I've always viewed it as a portable handheld device first. The technology of the Switch is just a progression of the Nvidia Shield gaming tablet.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Danimal wrote:I also find it interesting that the narrative now is the Switch is primarily a handheld system.
I don't own the system but I've always viewed it as a portable handheld device first. The technology of the Switch is just a progression of the Nvidia Shield gaming tablet.
I saw a shield on a recent plane flight I got off that flight intent on getting one then I realized it just plays Android games and streams PC games from your PC. Now if I could somehow play PC game on it when not near my PC, sold instantly.

Also I'm not trying to bag on the Switch, I've been trying to find one just to play Zelda since it has gotten so much praise. I just don't think EA is going to support it but maybe I'll be wrong.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

System was in stock for a hot second at Amazon but by time I saw the post it was sold out. Are they sending like 10 of these a week to stores?
Follow Me on:

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

sportdan30 wrote:So....I suck at NBA Playgrounds. However, I don't suck as much as I did yesterday. I still can't beat the CPU on Rookie. But, I'm starting to get the hang of it. At first, I couldn't make any jumpers or lay ups. I was shooting like I was playing the NBA 2K series, and it punished me. It's slowly coming along.

I was able to get a few former Jayhawks in my packs, including Embiid! He's a monster in this game, and I'm trying to level him up more than anyone else. I haven't gotten too many good players yet, except I do have Jason Kidd and Derek Rose.

I'm not a fan of the scoring just yet. Perfect shots seem very hard to come by, but the CPU can hit them fairly frequently.

Happy to see that steals aren't overpowering as supposedly they were in the beta.

One thing that bothers me that I hope gets patched. If you shot fake, you can't dribble....am I missing something?

Overall, it's awesome to play on the handheld. The controls are very responsive. One oddity tho. The thing vibrates at certain times during the game and I can't figure out why.
LMAO, my 9 year old son has already beaten the game unlocking Curry and Lebron. He and our neighbor friend love it and bringing the switch to his friends house to play is a breeze.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Looks like I'll be picking up Thumper for the Switch. Solid, fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aMIko1VRn0

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

This looks interesting:

https://www.destructoid.com/golf-story- ... 8204.phtml

Also, I've been tweeting the devs of Super Mega Baseball to bring it to the Switch. Crossing fingers.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:This thing should be called the Nintendo Bait and Switch.
RPG golf game? Count me in.

Played some ARMS today. Definitely thinking about getting this title.