Nintendo Switch

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Aristo »

Bought one at Target this morning. They looked to have six left, and three folks in front of me in line each bought one. The clerk said they started with 44. I think the best bet now will be to hit stores that did not have midnight openings, but they may even be out soon.

It was kind of a whim, although when I told my wife about the Zelda scores she was pretty much all in. I tried to convince her that Best Buy was giving away free Switches with the purchase off a 4K TV, but she didn't go for it. I wasn't sure if she wanted to wait or just get one now, but I figured it would be easy to return, and maybe easier to sell off on Ebay.

But we are definitely keeping it. Might have to run out and grab a Pro Controller. I read that the Day One update does not correct the left joy con connection issues. I expect we will play it docked 90% of the time, but who knows?
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Granted, this is only from about an hour of playing but I think the Pro Controller is a worthwhile investment if you're going to be playing on the TV. It is so much more comfortable and familiar than the joycons (either on their own or docked in the controller thing).

Definitely a well put together piece of hardware, a huge improvement over the cheap-feeling Wii U.

Wish more eShop games had demos, interested to read some impressions of Fast RMX, could be a fun game to play with the kids.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Best Buy online has them briefly on sale this morning, thought about it and decided no.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Picked mine up at lunch and was able to play about 20 minutes of BOTW.

The Switch is heavier than I thought it would be. A very nice put together kit.

I also bought the Switch case along with the screen protector. I figure this is going to be a necessity when traveling.

I bought the Switch with the grey joy-cons and it looks like a premium product, unlike the 3DS (which looks more like a toy). I wouldn't be embarrassed at all playing this while waiting at the doctor's office or taking it on the plane. Looking forward to those long weekends in Chicago visiting the in-laws now. :)

Set-up is quick and seamless. The screen is beautiful.

It'll take some time getting use to where the controls are on this. I'm sure I'll be playing a lot on the handheld in bed or on the couch. I am looking forward to picking up the pro controller, once I'm able to locate one.

BOTW in my very early play is definitely quite impressive. I love the art design and the controls are very nice. There's a lot to remember, but in time hopefully it'll become second nature. The world is massive and I anticipate I'll be playing this game for months and months. Awesome exploration game.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

A couple more impressions.....

The joy-cons are simple enough to take on and off, but I'd be a little concerned about dropping the Switch when taking them off. More so with younger kids handling it. I'd recommend taking them off over a couch or table.

The joy-cons feel pretty cheap compared to the tablet. Hopefully they hold up as replacements are expensive.

I thought the placement for the headphone jack at the top was a little strange. Would have preferred it at the bottom.

I can see the hinge where you put the games in snapping off if you or someone who using it is a little rough with it.

The kickstand is indeed flimsy and I'm wondering if a padded case is available as I worried about it falling if bumped or not secure. Turbulence on a plane would definitely cause it to fall.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Not sure I'll play it on the go much, as the sticks are a bit too "stubby" for me. Sort of like the Vita sticks. I've been using the taller XB1 Elite controller sticks for some time, and extenders on my PS4.

Got the Pro Controller, but haven't done much with it yet. I will this afternoon. Only got to like level 22 or something in Horizon, so I've got a very big decision on what to do this weekend!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

TCrouch wrote:Not sure I'll play it on the go much, as the sticks are a bit too "stubby" for me. Sort of like the Vita sticks. I've been using the taller XB1 Elite controller sticks for some time, and extenders on my PS4.

Got the Pro Controller, but haven't done much with it yet. I will this afternoon. Only got to like level 22 or something in Horizon, so I've got a very big decision on what to do this weekend!
The sticks don't bother nearly as much as the Vita did. They're taller and more grippy in my opinion. Wonder if eventually there will be extenders for the sticks. I'd imagine there would.

The layout is a little weird for me at the moment, because of how far apart my hands feel. But, I'll get used to that in no time.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

the clarity of the screen is MIGHTY impressive, though. I don't care if that's a 720p image, that's the most beautiful image I've ever seen on a handheld.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

At lunch I dropped in Target and Best Buy and of course none to be had. Usual limited Nintendo supply run saved me from myself I guess.

Probably for the best, I'm not a big handheld gamer type.
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:At lunch I dropped in Target and Best Buy and of course none to be had. Usual limited Nintendo supply run saved me from myself I guess.

Probably for the best, I'm not a big handheld gamer type.
Yeah, my BB was sold out but other people are reporting there are pretty decent amounts at different retail stores (at least that was the case this morning and afternoon). They'll probably be all gone by the time the weekend is over. Hopefully, the scalpers didn't gobble many of them up. I think Nintendo did a better job of shipping than they did the original Wii.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

When will Dan return it? :D
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Craigslist is full of $500 Switches right now. It crossed my mind this morning, but I really didn't want to be the guy keeping someone from getting one just so I could gouge someone else.

I wonder if there will be a long term market like there was for the Wii. I don't think it is going to sell nearly that well. But the buzz is pretty darn positive. I haven't set mine up yet. I was waiting for the wife to come home so she could do the unboxing. She's pretty pumped.

I did pop back over to Target and grabbed a Pro Controller. I hit a Gamestop first, since it was closer, and they were out of everything. The guy at the counter seemed offended that I was able to buy one without preordering today.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Snipperclips is a multi-player RIOT. A lot of yelling and celebrating when completing a level. Just purchased the full game.

Try out the free demo.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

MizzouRah wrote:When will Dan return it? :D
A little late asking me....wife already asked earlier! :lol:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

My friend's code: 2631-1641-1435

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Picked up my pre-order at midnight last night. Slept from 9:30 PM-11:30 PM, woke up and made it to Gamestop.

My 8 year old son is in heaven with Zelda right now. Says it blows Minecraft away :) He is feverishly looking forward to Splatoon 2. He was a beast at Splatoon 1.

What a game Zelda is so far! Having an amazing time watching him play. An incredible world to discover.

I prepaid for Snipperclips but Gamestop did not get it in yet.

I also downloaded Shovel Night and Fast Racing something which is really cool and polished. A next gen Wipeout.

The time I am spending with him right now with Zelda is more than worth the price of the Switch.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:
A little late asking me....wife already asked earlier! :lol:
:lol:
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Reading complaints about the screen getting scratches from the dock. Here's what I'm using.

I bought the felt pads. Works perfectly. They are 1/2" wide, 12,7 mm. Bought them at Michael's. Everywhere else was too thick. Made by Scotch.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

sportdan30 wrote:Snipperclips is a multi-player RIOT. A lot of yelling and celebrating when completing a level. Just purchased the full game.

Try out the free demo.
We bought it after playing the demo. Really fun puzzle coop game.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Bought Shovel Knight yesterday for $10. Excellent game.

Picked up the Pro Controller yesterday. It's my favorite controller of the Big 3. And the battery life is supposedly 40 hours on one charge!

This afternoon, while playing BOTW on the tv in the basement, my son asked to play a game on the PS4. I simply took the tablet out of the dock and played on the recliner while he played his game. Pretty sweet.

BOTW is definitely growing on me. It started slow, but there's something around every corner now. Great game!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Breath of the Wild is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of all time.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo from the Japanese store. Fun game and one I'll get when it releases in the U.S. next month.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Aside from Dan is anyone else playing their switch? For the multi console guys if it weren't for Zelda would you even be using it?

Just curious all the Zelda talk elsewhere is kind of getting to me but I doubt I would use the system for anything else.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It's used every day in my house, but most of the time I can't get near it because 2 of my kids are constantly alternating shifts in Zelda.

It's an incredible piece of tech, but aside from my dozen hours or so with Zelda, I haven't been able to get near it. And with my "other games" backlog piling up, I'm not in a rush to kick them off.

Zelda is one of the most impressive games I've ever played, but it's hard to change gears so wildly from Horizon to Zelda to Wildlands to Andromeda back to Wildlands back to Zelda, etc.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

No need to get one now if you don't care much about the Zelda game. But at the same time I have zero regrets getting the console.

I am enjoying Zelda much more than I anticipated and own 3 other games that I have put less than an hour into so far.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco