Nintendo Switch

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Aristo »

I plan on only using it docked, so the battery life is not a big deal. I have in interest in caring that thing around.

I'll probably wait for Mario to drop, but I like Nintendo titles, and if this can be played decently with a Pro controller, no waggle and touchscreen required, I'm back in.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I wasn't much interested, but my son saw GameStop was offering $195 for WiiU trade in towards Switch. He wants it, and along with trading our few WiiU games its a free upgrade. We still have an original Wii, so we won't miss the WiiU.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:Also - I have 4 and 2 year old boys. They've never played video games but when they start, I can see a Nintendo being the best option for them at their age.
Kind of the way I'm leaning too. No interest in it for myself, but for my 4 year old, it'll probably be great. Especially on Road Trips. :)

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I have one preordered at my local Gamestop.

My 8 year old LOVES Splatoon and is now excitedly watching switch videos on Youtube. He is also really excited for Arms.

Personally, I love the creativity Nintendo offers which is unique. My only beef is no pack-in game :(

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

No interest as this thing has way more negatives than positives. I think the Switch will bomb badly but I hope i'm wrong because I like what Nintendo brings to the gaming world.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Just ordered a new Shield TV, so that should work since I can't pre-order a Switch anymore. We'll see how that works out.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I have one pre-ordered but am very conflicted on whether I'll keep or cancel it. I'm not a big Zelda fan although I do like what they're doing with this game in terms of exploration. The rest of the launch titles are disappointing. Having Mario Kart 8 out a month later and Splatoon 2 a couple months after that will help. I just wish Nintendo had been a bit more aggressive with the games releasing on March 3rd.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:I have one pre-ordered but am very conflicted on whether I'll keep or cancel it. I'm not a big Zelda fan although I do like what they're doing with this game in terms of exploration. The rest of the launch titles are disappointing. Having Mario Kart 8 out a month later and Splatoon 2 a couple months after that will help. I just wish Nintendo had been a bit more aggressive with the games releasing on March 3rd.
The problem with their launch games is that you can get the same Zelda game on the Wii U and Mario Kart 8 is basically the same game that was released a couple of years ago on the Wii U.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Maybe they will be forced to cut prices by Christmas.

They did cut the price within the first year of the 3DS too.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

In the current state, the Switch launch feels either three months too late or three months too early (and maybe more).

Other than a quick shot to boost the FY17 financials, I don't understand what releasing the system in March with such a pathetic launch lineup accomplishes for Nintendo. I guess the rest of the fiscal year could have been that bad for them, there weren't many positives outside of Pokemon.

It's one thing to rush out a five-game launch for Christmas, but another to drop it in a pretty dead time of the year for retail. They'll at least come close to selling out worldwide, ship clost to 2mm copies of Zelda...and then what? I don't see any other must-buys outside of Zelda.

A June launch would at least have Mario Kart and Splatoon to headline alongside Zelda, not to mention be that much closer to full OS functionality like the online system.

I'll get one, just because it is hard to beat the fun of playing Nintendo games with my kids. We definitely got our money's worth out of the Wii U.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Still have mine pre-ordered. Not sure why...lol But I just can't bring myself to cancel it for some reason. I have such a soft spot in my heart for the big N.

I can't tell you the last Zelda game I played all the way through but I am very intrigued by this new one. Zelda, MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 (LOVED the first one) is worth the price of admission for me I think.

I haven't even turned on my XB1 in months but I still play my Wii U using just the gamepad here and there.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Zelda is a system seller. I didn't really care much about the Wii U, got it for the kids. Some of the tech was cool, but I want a normal controller (I'll just use the Pro controller with Zelda, for the most part).

I have this preordered and paid in full just to play the new Zelda. If you read enough previews and see enough videos, you can see they drastically overhauled the game to be more like a Skyrim or Witcher (the lead developer openly admitted to playing Western games for the first time in decades, and "keeping the mechanics in the back of his mind" when developing Breath of the Wild), mixed with some survival elements. I'm not sure how I feel about weapons breaking, but it is what it is.

What I do know is that everybody who's touched it has been gushing about it, and it's the textbook definition of a system seller. I'm just hoping I get through Horizon Zero Dawn quickly enough to enjoy Zelda...before Ghost Recon launches 8O

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

TCrouch wrote:Zelda is a system seller. I didn't really care much about the Wii U, got it for the kids. Some of the tech was cool, but I want a normal controller (I'll just use the Pro controller with Zelda, for the most part).

I have this preordered and paid in full just to play the new Zelda. If you read enough previews and see enough videos, you can see they drastically overhauled the game to be more like a Skyrim or Witcher (the lead developer openly admitted to playing Western games for the first time in decades, and "keeping the mechanics in the back of his mind" when developing Breath of the Wild), mixed with some survival elements. I'm not sure how I feel about weapons breaking, but it is what it is.

What I do know is that everybody who's touched it has been gushing about it, and it's the textbook definition of a system seller. I'm just hoping I get through Horizon Zero Dawn quickly enough to enjoy Zelda...before Ghost Recon launches 8O
I am hoping that Breath of the Wild might be able to pull me into s Skyrim/Witcher style game for the first time...ever. I doubt it though - I have limited attention span for those style of games. But since I am pretty much sold on getting the system at launch I will obviously be trying it out until other games start filtering in.

I do think it is a huge mistake to have a Wii U version of Zelda as well seeing as how this game is being touted as a "system seller".
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

True. But again, there are LOADS of guys out there (like me) that will want the 'best' version. Watching the comparison videos of side-by-side gameplay is pretty noticeable, and in the back of my mind, I'd know I'm playing the inferior version. But for somebody who doesn't care about that...it won't mean a thing.

And Zelda on the go? That's intriguing. It just seems like the Switch is the realization of what everybody THOUGHT the Wii-U would do. Have a mobile and a console in one.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I'm definitely interested as Nintendo consoles are great to have around when you have kids. I didn't preorder one though so I am not worried about trying to get one at launch. My plan is to wait for my birthday at the end of June and maybe get one then. I would think by then you should be able to walk into a store and find a console. If not I can wait.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Spooky wrote:Still have mine pre-ordered. Not sure why...lol But I just can't bring myself to cancel it for some reason. I have such a soft spot in my heart for the big N.

I can't tell you the last Zelda game I played all the way through but I am very intrigued by this new one. Zelda, MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 (LOVED the first one) is worth the price of admission for me I think.

I haven't even turned on my XB1 in months but I still play my Wii U using just the gamepad here and there.
Pretty much in the same boat as you. It helps that GameStop had some pretty strong trade-in offers that netted me enough money to walk out with a Switch and Zelda on Friday using store credit.

It feels even more like a beta/early access launch than when I chimed in last month. With such a thin line-up at launch, it would have been nice to have some solid Virtual Console offerings but now who knows when that will even be up and running.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Nintendo. I don't always agree with how they do business, but I love their exclusives. I'm of a different ilk when it comes to many AAA games on the Xbox One and PS4. I'm tired of many of the serious tone type games, with dark palettes, etc.

There's a few games that interest me at release, besides Zelda of course (Shovel Knight, Snipperclips, and Fast RMX). I'll probably choose one or two of those. Soon after, I'll pick up Puyo Puyo Tetris, Sonic Mania, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 2. Mario Odyssey towards the end of the year of course.

I love the look and the portability factor of this console. Even the dock is small enough and can easily be taken around the house or on vacation with much ease.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If Zelda is the only notable game for this year, it might be worth waiting to see if they cut the price, like they did with the 3DS within its first year.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/t ... ic-reviews

Holy smokes! When Gamespot gives a game a 10/10, it gets my attention. I might have to think about a Nintendo Switch when they become available.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

MizzouRah wrote:http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/t ... ic-reviews

Holy smokes! When Gamespot gives a game a 10/10, it gets my attention. I might have to think about a Nintendo Switch when they become available.
....or as Eurogamer.net said in their review, it's GTA, Halo2, Skyrim meets the original Zelda. I'm buying the Wii U version this weekend. There is nothing enticing me towards the Switch especially with a 2.5 hr battery mode.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Was just coming over here to post that.

IGN 10, Gamespot 10, Metacritic average of 98%.

I'm not upset with my preorder at this point, although I AM upset that 2 unbelievable games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda release within 4 days of each other.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

GameSpot calls BOTW the most impressive game Nintendo has ever made.

Can't wait to play this game during lunch when I'm at work. Awesome to have a AAA title that is portable!

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

If only the Canadian Pricing wasn't a total joke:

Console: $400
Pro Controller: $90
Zelda: $80

What the...

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I guess I'll keep Switch on my radar and check back in in the fall. I'm in no rush.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Why such high scores? Because his cloak is now Blue? :D