Nintendo Switch

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Aristo »

My wife plays it a ton. I hardly touch it. I consider firing up Zelda when I sit down to game, but I end up going to my standbys. I wish it had more games. If I wanted to play indie stuff, there is more than enough on the XB1 I already don't play.

While I think it is pretty awesome for travel, I wish it had sports games and more AAA games to choose from. I guess FIFA and NBA 2K are coming. I would have preferred Madden or NHL. I would really love a good MLB game, and there should really be a golf game on it. BotW shows that big, cinematic action games can do well, but Tomb Raider, FPS's, strategy games would interest me more. Hell, a poker game would hook me.

Instead, I'm looking forward to Mario Odyssey. Mario Kart will just make me wish I had a real racing racing title. There just doesn't seem to be much in the pipeline that really hits what I want to play. I'd jump on a Metroid Prime in a heartbeat. An Eternal Darkness sequel would be a day one buy.

I liked the Gamecube. But it had far more of the third party games the Xbox and PS2 had, and pretty much all the sports games. For the Switch to reel me in, that's what it needs. I don't regret the purchase. As I said, my wife is putting in a ton of time on BotW, and it is nice that the "switch" feature is so seamless, allowing me to grab the TV from her while she plays. But if I were single, I probably would have still bought one, but I'd have more regret.
Last edited by Aristo on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm finding I play the Switch in handheld mode 70 percent of the time. Reason being is that my son is usually messing around on the PS4, or asks that I hang out with him in the basement while doing so.

But when I have the option to play on tv, I prefer that because the Pro controller is my favorite controller of the big 3!

I just love the versatility of the Switch. My gaming time seems to become more and more limited (primarily because of the kids school and social life), so booting up Zelda and being able to play withing 10 seconds is really nice. Being able to play for 10-15 minutes here and there isn't as much of a chore as it is turning on the PS4 or Xbox One. I myself am more steered to the Switch, but then again, I'll probably be playing Zelda for the next several months. It's really got me hooked! The world is massive and there's just so much to do and explore.

I don't look at the Switch as my primary console. But as I have said, I'm a sucker for Nintendo games and fun and care-free games they produce. I'll be more than satisfied if Nintendo puts out 4-5 great first party games a year with third party games sprinkled in (and some quick playing indie games). I already know of that many games I'm going to purchase this year. I have way too many games to play as it is.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I am still targeting this summer to pick up a Switch. I love playing Nintendo games with my kids and I was very impressed with this being a part of Breath of the Wild: http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/13/149113 ... uicide-npc
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

ScoopBrady wrote:I am still targeting this summer to pick up a Switch. I love playing Nintendo games with my kids and I was very impressed with this being a part of Breath of the Wild: http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/13/149113 ... uicide-npc
I had read that article about a week ago, and a couple days later I stumbled across someone while crossing a bridge. I spoke to him for a minute and was on my way. Then I remembered the article. I hopped up and sure enough, the guy came over and went on for a minute about how it wasn't worth taking my life and how there was so much to live for, etc. etc.

I thought it was nice touch and heck, it might perhaps give some troubled teen or young person something to think about.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

sportdan30 wrote:I'm finding I play the Switch in handheld mode 70 percent of the time. Reason being is that my son is usually messing around on the PS4, or asks that I hang out with him in the basement while doing so.

But when I have the option to play on tv, I prefer that because the Pro controller is my favorite controller of the big 3!

I just love the versatility of the Switch. My gaming time seems to become more and more limited (primarily because of the kids school and social life), so booting up Zelda and being able to play withing 10 seconds is really nice. Being able to play for 10-15 minutes here and there isn't as much of a chore as it is turning on the PS4 or Xbox One. I myself am more steered to the Switch, but then again, I'll probably be playing Zelda for the next several months. It's really got me hooked! The world is massive and there's just so much to do and explore.

I don't look at the Switch as my primary console. But as I have said, I'm a sucker for Nintendo games and fun and care-free games they produce. I'll be more than satisfied if Nintendo puts out 4-5 great first party games a year with third party games sprinkled in (and some quick playing indie games). I already know of that many games I'm going to purchase this year. I have way too many games to play as it is.
That's the general appeal of mobile devices. You always have it at hand. You don't have to go to a specific room, turn on the TV, console and surround sound system.

You just pick it up, play it a bit, then set it down, put it to sleep. Then later pick it up to play some more.

But the question is how many people will want to buy a mobile/portable device which is only or mainly for playing games, in addition to the other mobile devices they carry.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks for all the input, I'm not a handheld guy and never have been so I'm thinking it is not worth my time for one game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Is Nintendo still binding the hardware ID to an account? I have two 3DS portables and Nintendo does not allow for two of the same devices on the same account ID. I wish they would use the setup Sony and Microsoft uses where you create an ID and add devices to it.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Danimal wrote:Thanks for all the input, I'm not a handheld guy and never have been so I'm thinking it is not worth my time for one game.
Yep, that's me. I've had all the Gameboys, the PSP and Vita, and now smartphones. The most gaming I ever do on any of them is some simple games like Yahoo or Wordament on my phone when waiting in line somewhere. I never pick them up to play games.

I think the Switch is fine for a TV, but just light on games. I am tempted to buy Bomberman R, but $50 is ridiculous. I was bummed that the Bomberman Live game I had via XBLA game was not compatible. But I did just see that Bomberman Battlefest, which was just a newer version of Live, is BC, and only $10. I'm assuming I paid $15 for Bomberman Live was back when.

That said, if there is a bigger community playing Bomberman R online, that might get me to pick it up on sale at some point. It's probably a game I would play on the tablet, too. Still think Nintendo is insane for believing it is a full priced game.

You know what game I would actually be excited for, is some Super Mario Strikers, and some other Mario Sports games. Strikers was crazy fun on the Gamecube, and I think soccer lends itself well to the arcade sports games like the Mario series.
Rodster wrote:Is Nintendo still binding the hardware ID to an account? I have two 3DS portables and Nintendo does not allow for two of the same devices on the same account ID. I wish they would use the setup Sony and Microsoft uses where you create an ID and add devices to it.
Yeah, they seem to be. While I rarely played the wii U, I did have an ID there. Seems insane that I couldn't just import that ID onto the Switch, along with the friends list and other stuff.

Nintendo is so far behind the curve on this stuff. I can add friends, but I can't send them a message?

Worse, things like only one save per ID means you know kids are going to be ruining their parents saves. And no, Nintendo did not include a way to password protect your save.

Stuff like this is why Nintendo will always remain a secondary console in out household. They have some great games, but they still have not mastered a modern console in terms of social and game management features.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

sportdan30 wrote: But when I have the option to play on tv, I prefer that because the Pro controller is my favorite controller of the big 3!
You can use the Pro Controller when the Switch is undocked.

When I was playing Zelda in the hotel room, I used the Pro Controller. I literally cannot stand the using the joy cons attacked to the tablet. Using them disconnected from the tablet is better, but the Pro Controller is still the way to go. I do really appreciate that swapping control schemes is as easy as just picking up the controller and playing. The game notices, confirms, and away you go.

I'm interested in a stand that will hold the tablet at a better, and preferably adjustable, angle than the kickstand provides. It was a bit of a pain to find the right position in relation to where I was sitting or laying in bed to get a good view of the tablet while using the joy cons or Pro Controller. Heck, a nice cable to plug into a TV without the need for a dock would be nice for travel, too.

And while the Pro Controller mimics the Xbox controller pretty darn well, I can't rate it better than those because the triggers aren't analog and I can't plug in headphones to it. Microsoft requiring an adapter was a big fail that they corrected going forward. But Nintendo learned nothing, and doesn't even have port.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

sportdan30 wrote:I'm finding I play the Switch in handheld mode 70 percent of the time. Reason being is that my son is usually messing around on the PS4, or asks that I hang out with him in the basement while doing so.

sportsdan mirrors my situation perfectly. I never thought I would like it in handheld mode but with the TV tied up and with my reading glasses on, it has become my preferred way to play.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I didn't get a switch, but after all the glowing Zelda reviews, I pulled my Wii U out of storage. Wow, am I glad I did. Just a phenomenal game that looks/plays great on the Wii U. So glad they released the game for both systems.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Turf Masters golf released today for the Switch. $8 I believe for some retro golf.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ac ... ers-switch

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Listened to the giant Bomb podcasts today. In the same sentence a guy says Zelda might be the best game he has ever played but he only plays in on the handheld portion of the switch because it looks worse while in the dock.

Literally had me go from buying one to hell no in 30 seconds. Really want to play that game but not a handheld guy.
Follow Me on:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

sportdan30 wrote:Turf Masters golf released today for the Switch. $8 I believe for some retro golf.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ac ... ers-switch
A port of a 1996 game?

Hard pass...
Danimal wrote:Listened to the giant Bomb podcasts today. In the same sentence a guy says Zelda might be the best game he has ever played but he only plays in on the handheld portion of the switch because it looks worse while in the dock.

Literally had me go from buying one to hell no in 30 seconds. Really want to play that game but not a handheld guy.
Honestly, it looks and plays great on my TV. It's really not an issue. The console is going to have a hard time with AAA third party titles, but you aren't going to buy a Switch for that. It's going to play and look great for Nintendo titles and less demanding third party stuff.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Danimal wrote:Listened to the giant Bomb podcasts today. In the same sentence a guy says Zelda might be the best game he has ever played but he only plays in on the handheld portion of the switch because it looks worse while in the dock.

I believe Zelda runs at a higher res on the dock, which causes worse slowdown at certain points.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Naples39 wrote:

I believe Zelda runs at a higher res on the dock, which causes worse slowdown at certain points.
Zelda runs 900P in the dock and 720P in portable mode. One of the reasons why i'm waiting to buy a Switch are all the hand-me-down games at premium pricing such as the 1996 golf game. I prefer and love portable gaming devices and I genuinely still have almost no interest in the Switch. A Mario or an Animal Crossing game could change that but the Switch doesn't offer enough currently to drop $300+ on the console and a game.

I also read that Nintendo has addressed the joy-con disconnects and will fix it in future consoles but they still deny there's a problem with the current hardware, lol.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... ndo-claims

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I think you're really underestimating the "handheld" aspect.

It's not like a Gameboy/3DS or even a phone/tablet. I've never owned a handheld and never play games on my mobile devices. However - I have played probably 15-20 hours of Zelda and of that maybe 5% has been on the TV. Not sure why it's so different but it is.

Also - it only looks "worse" when docked because A.) The screen on the handheld is phenomenal and...B.) there are a few framerate hiccups when docked that I have yet to see.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

snagged one of these and was SHOCKED that the downloadable games all suck. Where are the usual classics from the NES and SNES? WTF?

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Sudz wrote:snagged one of these and was SHOCKED that the downloadable games all suck. Where are the usual classics from the NES and SNES? WTF?
They haven't opened up Virtual Console on Switch yet, for some reason.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

FYI, there was an update to Zelda a week ago that stabilizes the frame rate. Not 100 percent but much improved.

Will be grabbing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe this week. And most likely Puyo Puyo Tetris

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

sportdan30 wrote:Will be grabbing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe this week. And most likely Puyo Puyo Tetris
I was going to get Puyo Puyo Tetris but the demo didn't do anything for me at all.

The new battle mode in MK8 is going to get a lot of play in my house, it was such a letdown on the Wii U. Also a fan of the smart steering, or whatever it's called, it will allow my 3-year old to play with us and stay on the course.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So will these be back in stock at all during 2017 or is this typical Nintendo BS. You would think they would eventually learn the more product you have the more you sell.
Follow Me on:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Danimal wrote:So will these be back in stock at all during 2017 or is this typical Nintendo BS. You would think they would eventually learn the more product you have the more you sell.
Supposedly Nintendo has doubled their planned production for 2017 from 8 million units to 16 million.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-t ... 5?mod=e2tw

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I love how they say due to strong demand. How about inflated demand by purposely limiting the product, Nintendo business strategy 101.

Really all I want to play is Zelda, they should release it on another platform.
Follow Me on:

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Danimal wrote:Really all I want to play is Zelda, they should release it on another platform.
Like Wii U? :?: