Hockey Night In DSP 2023-2024

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night In DSP 2016-2017

Post by pk500 »

We can wring our hands and protest about hits like this all we want. But they will continue for at least a generation in the NHL because the brass doesn't care about concussions or the negative ramifications of head injuries.

Solving this problem would be simple. Any hit to the head is an instant ejection and five-game suspension. Automatic.

That will never happen, especially because it's bad for business in Canada. Yes, I point part of the blame to my friends from the True North. The hockey culture in Canada embraces grit, toughness, fighting, big hits. There's a greater fear in Canada that eliminating fighting and head hits will "soften" the game and erode proud Canadian hockey culture.

I have nothing empirical to support this belief other than being pals with many hockey fans on both sides of the border. Nearly all of my Canadian friends embrace the fighting and "anything goes" headshot culture that will live in the NHL as long as former player Neanderthals like Brendan Shanahan -- the epitome of Canadian hockey "grit" and all of the cheap shots that accompany it -- is delivering player justice.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

I think eventually you'll see head shots eliminated from the game - and yes the traditionalists will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a more enlightened era. I think the catalyst will likely be the lawsuits like the one that has already been launched in professional football.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

After going 1-5 in their recent road trip, coach Desjardins is feeling the pressure to squeeze more out of this bunch where scoring is still an issue. All of their wins have been coming from behind and that's what they did at home this afternoon against a DAL team that can score at will. Rookie Stetcher had his first NHL goal tying up the match with 3 minutes left at 4 goals each until Granlund won it in OT.

That game was followed with the top team in the NHL as the Habs faced the Hawks in CHI. No singer gives me the goose bumps when it comes to the singing of the anthems more than Jim Cornelison.

Tight game with Kane scoring the eventual winner with a beauty.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Not sure if you guys watched this. It happened during the recent road trip as VAN faced DET. Miller with one of the best saves yet of the season. 8)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:Not sure if you guys watched this. It happened during the recent road trip as VAN faced DET. Miller with one of the best saves yet of the season. 8)

Handling the puck out of the crease.. lol - direct free shot. ;)

That was awesome!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wow. What a stop. It looks like Zetterberg muttered well-deserved praise as he skated past Miller after the save.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Tonight's inductee into the Hockey hall of fame, included the late Pat Quinn (met him in real life, the man that brought the Canucks to respectability in the early 90's), Sergei Makarov and part of the awesome 'Legion of Doom' days Eric Lindros.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Things like this are why the NHL has moved up my list of favorite pro sports. Calvert takes a slap shot in the face, gets 36 stitches and then scores the game winner. A WR in the NFL would have been getting his groin massaged in the training room and out for a week. I love hockey.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400884653
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The first Pro Sports team in Sin City will be the Golden Knights.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

The Panthers fired head coach Gerard Gallant tonight and basically left him out to dry by not giving him a ride on the team bus back to the airport. What a s*** show going on down there. The GM Tom Roew is now the coach and another exec promoted to GM.

Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

That owner has no clue whatsoever about hockey. Here's a guy that was a finalist for the J. Adams last year bringing his team to only a second division win in over 20 years. There was some shake up this past summer where Dave Tallon (whom I respect) was elevated to President of hockey operations and the new GM took over. Watch over your shoulder, Tallon.

T. Rowe and his sidekicks are more 'analytics' type of guys and while I respect numbers and tendencies, this guy has never coached in the NHL. Four different coaches in three seasons, tell the whole story where this franchise is going.

Then the league is opening up in Vegas, a disaster waiting to happen. Give them two years for that honeymoon to burst while you have other cities that are hungry to return to the league and would have much better success like Quebec City and even Seattle.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Although they gathered 4 out of the possible 6 points in their recent road trip, it'll be really hard for the Canucks to keep their heads above water for the next month and a half. Already without their top D-man in C. Tanev, they lost A. Edler too in COL for 6 weeks with a broken hand. Without these two guys, they'll have to rely on several rookies to fill the void.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The much anticipated rematch between the Leafs and Canucks took place at Rogers Arena as the league was in high alert after Gudbrandson threatened Martin that he would be a dead man, the moment these two teams would face each other.

In an entertaining affair where the good guys won it in a SO, Gubby manned up and faced Martin in one of the better tilts I've seen in a couple of years. Some heavy haymakers were thrown between these two heavy guys and the 18000+ Fans were highly entertained.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

7 straight for the Flyers. Awesome comeback win vs Edmonton tonight. 3 goals in 1:12. Stay hot!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Gustavson has to go. He was horrible.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Flyers Stadium Series sweaters are badass!

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I know Price is talked about a lot.. but Dubynk just might be the best goalie so far this season. Minnesota is going to be a handful come playoff time.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

MizzouRah wrote:I know Price is talked about a lot.. but Dubynk just might be the best goalie so far this season. Minnesota is going to be a handful come playoff time.
And the Blues could be looking at a first round matchup against him. He's one goalie I don't want to see come playoff time.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Flyers going for #11 today vs Dallas :D Looking forward to it!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

tjung0831 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:I know Price is talked about a lot.. but Dubynk just might be the best goalie so far this season. Minnesota is going to be a handful come playoff time.
And the Blues could be looking at a first round matchup against him. He's one goalie I don't want to see come playoff time.
Me either..he's a BEAST!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

My favorite hockey of the year begins today...the World Junior championships. If you have NHL network, check it out. USA vs Lativa this afternoon and Canada takes on Russia tonight. The big game of course is USA and Canada on New Years Eve.
The St. Louis area is well represented on Team USA including the Captain Luke Kunin(Min) Clayton Keller(Arizona)who's going to be a stud in the NHL and goaltender Joseph Woll(Toronto).
Nothing better than hearing Gord Miller call this tournament, although I suspect those of us in the States will be stuck with Steve Mears of NHL network.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For us the big game is always against the Russians, although tonight won't have the same intensity and caliber should these teams meet again in the later phase. Team Canada let the emotions get the better of them last year, committing too many penalties vs. the Finns and they are well aware of that. All four lines showed a good balance during the pre tournament games, it should be fun.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Impressive opener for team Canada vs Russia. Yotes' prospect D. Strome was very strong in his play scoring a couple of goals while all four lines pinched in with a solid effort. If there's an area that needs some improvement next game would be in between the pipes where Hart let a couple of softies letting the Russians back into the game.

Latvia will be a practice game.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Sweet 16 in a row for the Blue Jackets! Tomorrow they attempt to tie the record against the Caps.