Hockey Night In DSP 2023-2024

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night In DSP 2023-2024

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:38 pm
I was surprised at Fantilli sliding too. Also was surprised by the Habs taking Reinbacher at #5. My Flyers got a great player at 7 but have to wait 3 years to reap the benefits. I’d have been happy with Leonard but Michkov I’d supposedly a stud - possible game changer. Time will tell
Don’t know what Habs were thinking, but 3 goalie prospects in their picks? Along DET with Stevie Y, the only teams that raised my eyebrows for sure… 8O

Update: Although he redeems himself today by trading future considerations for Yamamoto and Kostic from the Oilers who needed to dump salary.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The season is about 3 weeks young, and along somewhere in this long, classic hockey thread, different people at different times have talked about the dangers of this sport especially when it comes to blades flying round. This happened recently in England where right after the incident, it became mandatory to wear neck protection. Tragic how this former NHLer lost his life and while not right away, this unfortunate incident has raised some eyebrows for the league to take some action. I know a lot of players don’t mind it especially at the speed these days players are playing, but mandatory or not, I am sure some players will start looking after themselves.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/po ... mandatory/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:56 pm
The season is about 3 weeks young, and along somewhere in this long, classic hockey thread, different people at different times have talked about the dangers of this sport especially when it comes to blades flying round. This happened recently in England where right after the incident, it became mandatory to wear neck protection. Tragic how this former NHLer lost his life and while not right away, this unfortunate incident has raised some eyebrows for the league to take some action. I know a lot of players don’t mind it especially at the speed these days players are playing, but mandatory or not, I am sure some players will start looking after themselves.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/po ... mandatory/
The Johnson situation is so sad. And the NHL was lucky as hell Malarchuk didn't die on the ice 30-plus years ago. The Sabres' trainer was a trained combat medic, so he knew what to do immediately to save Malarchuk's life.

I'm seeing plenty of hockey neanderthals on social saying, "It should be left to the player." Really? That's ridiculous.

Players take hits to the head without life-threatening circumstances. Same with sticks and pucks to the eyes. Yet every level of hockey mandates helmets and shields.

Meanwhile, is there ever a "minor" skate cut to the neck? It's almost always a life-threatening situation. So, why wouldn't neck guards be mandated at all levels of the game? Hell, players should wear Kevlar wrist sleeves, too, as long as they continue to wear gloves with ridiculously short cuffs.

I wouldn't mind seeing the NHL mandate a minimum length of glove cuff, either. For those who scream, "I lose dexterity with long cuffs," Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe both scored 800+ goals with long-cuff gloves, so shut the f*ck up.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Blackhawks claim it’s an internal matter, and for that, C.Perry doesn’t play anymore in that franchise. A lot of speculations, a lot of rumors and now the wonder kid C.Bedard is rumored to be fed up with how things are being run in the organization and is looking for a way out?

Wow, can’t wait until someone finally blows the whistle…

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

10spro wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:46 pm
Blackhawks claim it’s an internal matter, and for that, C.Perry doesn’t play anymore in that franchise. A lot of speculations, a lot of rumors and now the wonder kid C.Bedard is rumored to be fed up with how things are being run in the organization and is looking for a way out?

Well Perry f***ed his mom. He isn’t going anywhere. Hawks not trading him

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:

No one should believe a word coming from the Blackhawks' management. This is an organization, after all, that covered up sexual assault within its ranks.

I feel sorry for Connor Bedard. This is a sh*tstorm he doesn't need, whether his mom f*cked his teammate or not.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If we believed everything that comes out of social media these days, it’s no wonder the world has gone astray for awhile. Whether it’s substance abusive, alcohol, mental issues, one thing that a normal Joe Blow can’t or won’t understand is “How does a player making $4 million +, make these mistakes”. Like Burkie says on that interview, everyone is human and mistakes happen on a daily basis no matter which sport.

Will Perry get another chance? While the truth is slowly coming out and he has since publicly apologized for his odd behavior, I think other teams will give him another chance. No families or friends were involved here (thank goodness), but slowly the truth is coming out…

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/co ... statement/

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:47 am
10spro wrote:

No one should believe a word coming from the Blackhawks' management. This is an organization, after all, that covered up sexual assault within its ranks.
FACT. Total BS that they didn't get their 1st round pick pulled from them in the draft.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

At the beginning of the season, if you asked me if VAN could win the Pacific division, I would have laughed in your face and tell everyone that they would be fortunate if they could squeeze into the playoffs based on their disappointing results the past few years. But credit to Rick Tocchet who too over the team late last season and turned the team around with a different mentality and installed a disciplined gameplay that everyone bought in.

I mean EDM and Vegas were the clear favorites in this division and here they are, achieving win #50 with one more game to go. It remains to see who they’ll play next week as the season is winding down in the West.

More crazy is how WAS squeezed in the East for the playoffs with PIT, DET, and PHI fighting for that last spot. Some great match ups already are pencilled in, Jets-AVS should be a great one, BOS-TOR again, the battle in FLO and potentially DAL-Vegas. How awesome that matchup would be?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

There will be a handful of legitimate Cup contenders going home after the first round, especially in the Western Conference. That's how deep and NUTS this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs will be.

LET'S GO OILERS!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Such an extremely disappointing finish for my Flyers. They had such a great season, considering how young they are and the Hart situation, only to lose 9 of their last 11 to not get in. They were solid until about a month ago. Whatever.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

About time they moved the Yotes out of Arizona. Just wish it was back to Quebec.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sudz wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:35 pm
About time they moved the Yotes out of Arizona. Just wish it was back to Quebec.
Bettman would never allow it. There’s no coincidence that no Canadian team has won Lord Stanley since he took over right? But you’re damn right ARI should have never had a team.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sudz wrote:
I don't buy the Bettman "anti-Canada" conspiracy theories. If that was the case, then why did he allow Winnipeg to regain the Jets?

Quebec City is a nice notion. But Salt Lake has a young, tech-savvy populace in a new market for the league and a billionaire owner who also has become very respected in NBA circles in his early days as owner of the Utah Jazz.

Easy decision for Bettman. And the right one.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 am
Sudz wrote:
Bettman would never allow it. There’s no coincidence that no Canadian team has won Lord Stanley since he took over right? But you’re damn right ARI should have never had a team.
In the late 90s and early 2000s I was going to every Coyote game I could. The playoff atmosphere in America West was outstanding even tho it was a basketball arena with limited view seats on one side. Ownership has ruined the franchise. The constant sales and rumors, fans just don’t want to support them anymore. It’s sad because it completely soured me on hockey…I was a huge fan back then.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

With he playoffs starting this weekend, two match ups are a must see TV in the first round where usually the best playoffs hockey is witnessed. In the west as I was mentioning earlier DAL-LAS, Jets-AVS while in the East no Leafs fan expected their nemesis to lose the last game of they year only to face them again in the first round in BOS, while the battle of FLO is up for grabs.

No one sees the Rangers, Oilers, CAR losing their matches, but there’s gotta be always a surprise, an upset, a goalie standing on his head that steals a series. So without looking at my true colors, I am going to say NAS maybe that team even though VAN is a favorite.

I do see a DAL-EDM in the western conference finals, while in the East I pick NYR-TOR

SC finals, how about the Oilers facing the Rangers.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 pm
How about the Oilers BEATING the Rangers and hoisting the mug for the sixth time and first time since 1990?

GO OILERS!

I hate to put pressure on one guy, but the success of the Oilers in the postseason really hinges on Skinner. He needs to be consistent, that's all. Can't allow one goal one night and then six the next. Hopefully a year's worth of playoffs experience last season helps.

It also wouldn't hurt to see someone like Corey Perry or Warren Foegele become an unlikely playoffs' scoring machine like Fernando Pisani on the run to Game 7 of the Cup Final in 2006. Maybe Kane? He certainly is due, as he wasn't very good for most of the second half of the season.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:10 pm
10spro wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 pm
How about the Oilers BEATING the Rangers and hoisting the mug for the sixth time and first time since 1990?

GO OILERS!

I hate to put pressure on one guy, but the success of the Oilers in the postseason really hinges on Skinner. He needs to be consistent, that's all. Can't allow one goal one night and then six the next. Hopefully a year's worth of playoffs experience last season helps.
He was good, solid. Key stops here and there that could have been a 0-1, 2-1 type of score when the game started. Kings have to somehow control #97, #29 and CO.

Game #2 for ‘Nucks’, Demko being injured again gives me some worries in the long term.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Bob Cole was a Canadian staple in HNIC. A unique voice, an effortless way to call any hockey game. From Bobby Orr, to the Great one, Mario Lemieux, S. Crosby and even #97 today.He covered them all. He knew the big moments were coming, he knew almost always when the goal was about to be called. I would just marvel at his narrative of the game every Saturday no matter which team he was covering.

An authentic voice, unique, classic. Not many called the game of Hockey as well as Cole did. RIP Bob.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/bo ... benefited/ -

Oh baby…