The Beautiful Game of Football, 2017-2018 Season

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game of Football, 2016-2017 Season

Post by RobVarak »

Rodster wrote:Bob Bradley was given the Rex Ryan treatment with a little over 2 months on the job.

I was never a believer in Bob when he was USMNT coach, but I really don't know how you can fire a manager who took over a team that was flatlined and who hasn't even had a transfer window yet. So stupid.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Boy Spurs just stole that point from City. A couple of non brutal calls benefitted Pochettino's team after Lloris gifted City with two goals. But they didn't give up after their captain made those two fatal mistakes. Brilliant Kane heel pass to Son for the tie.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Arsene's team usually starts faltering at this time of the season, don't they? Brutal mental mistakes cost them the game against the will be champions team led by Conte. Cech's wondering, Koscielny letting Hazard walk by him and score a beautiful solo effort goal, at times they just stop playing...

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

10spro wrote:Arsene's team usually starts faltering at this time of the season, don't they? Brutal mental mistakes cost them the game against the will be champions team led by Conte. Cech's wondering, Koscielny letting Hazard walk by him and score a beautiful solo effort goal, at times they just stop playing...
Not as bad as Liverpool, they're on life support :roll:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

How the FF do you fire a manager less than a year after he brought the organization it's first ever title? So the explanation to fire Ranieri was the team was not playing up to their potential and it was time for a leadership change. Are you f##@ing kidding me? Does Jed York have ties to Leicester City mgmt? :P

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

But isn't LC on the verge of being relegated?

I thought they kept their best players yet they dropped off that much?

Even if they're not relegated, falling out of the top 4 means tens of millions in lost revenues from not being in the CL next year.

Soccer is like that though, no loyalty whatsoever. Well players are expected not to ever join a rival of a former club but managers are dropped all the time. Mourinho won with Chelsea a couple of years ago, then failed to win it next year and thus lost the job.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Leicester where never going to be top 4 this year so that wasnt a goal for that team, Maybe, a huge maybe, a Europa league spot if they had another miracle season.
Mid table team at best they can hope for with these players.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DP
Last edited by Rodster on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:Soccer is like that though, no loyalty whatsoever. Well players are expected not to ever join a rival of a former club but managers are dropped all the time. Mourinho won with Chelsea a couple of years ago, then failed to win it next year and thus lost the job.
True but that's NO different in any sport. If any given team with playoff aspirations hires a top league coach or mgr and fails to accomplish what they were expecting then sure, the coach or mgr will probably get the blame and the boot if the talent is already in place for a championship run.
Jimmydeicide wrote:Leicester where never going to be top 4 this year so that wasnt a goal for that team, Maybe, a huge maybe, a Europa league spot if they had another miracle season.
Mid table team at best they can hope for with these players.
Exactly and last year they won against "all odds" with the team they had. This team even last year on paper was no Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U or Man City. So what did they expect this year a repeat of last year? No way, so stupid move by the board.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Man, Srgentina continues to struggle in their quest to make it to Russia next year. Although, their current standings doesn't show so, they just lack a true identity lately. Poor gameplay and today an embarrassing loss to the country hosting GRW, yes to lowly Bolivia.

To make matters worse, Messi was sent off for mouthing off and looks like an automatic four game suspension.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Face it, Messi's time is through. It's all about Pulisic now. :)

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

RobVarak wrote:Face it, Messi's time is through. It's all about Pulisic now. :)
Or the new Prince of Argentina: Paulo Dybala. I have been following his steps of course for the past 3 years and he's the next one. Two formidable early strikes that stunned Barca today in CL leaving them in solid ground as the three dangerous amigos just couldn't break the wall that are Bonucci and Chiellini.

They couldn't even get one goal which would have helped them a bit for the rematch, having said that, they are Barcelona. Just ask PSG what happened in their stunning defeat last month.

But Juve is no PSG I don't think, and they'll camp in their territory all night long to defend their goal differential next time. They only had the ball 34% of the time today and striked three times. Impressive.

Dortmund-Monaco was suspended due to some explosions near the German's bus that injured one of their players.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

That was one helluva of Clasico decided in the very last minute of the game. They kicked him, bullied him, split his mouth open but he kept on going. Not even Ramos brutal tackle could stop him. Brilliant. La Liga is still up for grabs.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah but Real has a game in hand. Unless one of those games is against Ateletico, Real should pull it out.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Liverpool...That was NOT quality.

The performance against the bottom half of the table weak all season and worse lately.

Disappointed.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

It's about time Mourinho's myth is unpacked with a dose of reality. United is no better with The Special One in charge than it was under the much-loathed Van Gaal.

Mourinho is the Phil Jackson of European football. He continues to insist on using a playing scheme and formations that have become antiquated as the game evolves with faster, stronger, more powerful players.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Is his job under jeopardy?

I thought there were rumblings that United were again going to be big players in the transfer market after the season.

Supporters may be upset but that team must continue to generate huge revenues, even if they miss CL again next season.

Other blurb I saw was that Messi rejected offer for a new deal from Barça for 33-39 million Euros. OK, he's going to demand top dollar but he's going to be 30 next month. Is he the same player he was 4 or 5 years ago?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81 wrote:IOther blurb I saw was that Messi rejected offer for a new deal from Barça for 33-39 million Euros. OK, he's going to demand top dollar but he's going to be 30 next month. Is he the same player he was 4 or 5 years ago?
No, but is there anyone else better than him today? Imagine the revenue for the EPL no matter where he suits up, the billions that he would generate. He's been more hurt because players just try to mow him and punch him more than ever, but in terms of speed and skill, I haven't seen him drop off.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

XXXIV wrote:Liverpool...That was NOT quality.

The performance against the bottom half of the table weak all season and worse lately.

Disappointed.
So help me God, I am not watching any cotdamned Europa League football next season, so they'd best figure this out.

OTOH, when Milner doesn't convert a PK for the first time in 8(!) seasons, you've gotta wonder if maybe it just ain't your time.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

The last few weeks have been painful to watch. Thank god the teams around us are s*** also.
Klop should stop bitching and contesting every single push in the back or throw in and be yelling at his team.

If they expect to sign anyone of significance they better finish in the top 4, you wont land a Sanchez in the Europa league.
If i never see Southampton again it will be too soon, we cant beat them so lets buy all their players, Come on Van Dyke is that the best we can attract?
Frustrated.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Fantastic goals by both teams so far. The quick counter attack by Real, well read by Carbajal trailing the play and playing 1-2 with Ronaldo. Even more impressive was the tie by Mandzukic chesting the ball beautifully before the strike. One of he best I've seen in a UEFA finals.

Let's go Juve.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Arghh, I feel really bad for GiGi, but at the end of the day Real was superior. A couple of tough deflections shouldn't take away the quality of their goals. Casemiro's strike seemed to set suck whatever air was left for the Italian team who didn't put much of a fight after.

And I know S. Ramos is a tough defender but the more I watch him, the more I think he's a d*****. With Cuadrado's unfair expulsion, it was game over. You're a captain dude, act like one.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Juve had no answer for Isco and Modric. They kept setting up good scoring chances in the second half.

Juve is an old team. I think Mandzukic is much older than 31.

Probably the only Italian team with the money to challenge in the CL but looks like they peaked in the semis.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-40419819

Years later.. Charges are filed in regards to Hillsborough.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

FifaInspected wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-40419819

Years later.. Charges are filed in regards to Hillsborough.
Some of those families have been through a tragedy on top of a tragedy for almost 30 years. It would be nice to see them gain a measure of justice at some point.