NFL 2016/2017

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NFL 2016/2017

Post by Danimal »

For the record I'm fine with the pick because of stuff I've been told about him. I also told Terry I had word from someone who knew it was coming. Now you never know if that s*** is BS or not but I was told 3 weeks prior to the draft that they were picking him, that's how much they love him.

Just heard on the radio apparently Pace and George decided a month ago they were picking him and told no one else. So i guess my friend was right and I wasn't as shocked as everyone else.

Now the moving up part, no one knows what happened for sure and there are lots of things going around mostly blaming the Bears. My hunch is you're going to find out that 49ers pulled some not so above the board stuff and got the Bears to bite. Good for them this year but if that is true no one is going to deal with them in the future come draft time. Perhaps Lynch as a 1st time GM didn't know what is proper protocol.

Regardless as Rob so rightly pointed out on Facebook if you believe he is your guy you go get him and Pace believes he is the guy.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Also to add some more random input on Mr. Biscuts. I heard his coach at NC on the radio at lunch talking about him etc. They asked him why was he only the starter for one year. I listened to what he said which was a lot of coach speak. What I took away from it is the coach was wrong. He was good enough to start in his second year, definitely his 3rd but the coach didn't want to upset the team chemistry. Translated to English, I was not smart enough to pick him but I'll never admit it. At least that is what I got out of that interview.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:
Oh, this make it even more fun:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -trubisky/
PFT wrote:If you thought you were surprised by the Bears trading up to take Mitch Trubisky, imagine how coach John Fox felt.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Bears General Manager Ryan Pace kept the plan to move up to select the North Carolina quarterback to himself until hours before the draft.
Must be an epidemic....Rick Smith pulled the same thing on the Texans HC last year regarding the Osweiler deal.....

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Like Dan said, Rob had a good comment on this on Facebook. The trade is really not relevant for the Bears if Trubinsky becomes a franchise QB.

I personally am not a fan of the move as I don't feel any of the QBs in this draft warranted going in the top 10. All teams need a QB, but at the same time, there were so many playmakers available on defense that could have boosted a burgeoning Bears defense. I feel like at #3, you should take the sure thing as much as possible. This is a big, big gamble, and frankly, when a team completely surprises everyone in the top 5 picks of the draft, it usually doesn't pan out.

At the same time, the Bears suck, and Mike Glennon is likely just a Band-Aid. If you think Trubinksky could be the franchise QB this team has tried to find since McMahon, then why not go for it. Trubinksky doesn't have to be the second coming of Manning or Brady, Bears fans would be happy if he could be a Philip Rivers, someone who is a talented, steady QB and not a dark sinkhole of suck.

I think he'll be a Cutler, inconsistent with bouts of terrific play undone by ineptitude. But I also don't do this for a living and even the people who do are wrong much of the time. No one really knows how this will work out. I suppose better for Pace to die on this hill than doing the safe pick that elevates this team to 7-9 status next year. Plus Trubinsky is perfectly named for this city.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Brando70 wrote:All teams need a QB, but at the same time, there were so many playmakers available on defense that could have boosted a burgeoning Bears defense. I feel like at #3, you should take the sure thing as much as possible. This is a big, big gamble, and frankly, when a team completely surprises everyone in the top 5 picks of the draft, it usually doesn't pan out.
I really think thew old adage that defense wins championships is no longer relevant. Having a great defense and a strong running game doesn't get you the Superbowl. Is he a bigger gamble than tasking any QB? I don't think so and they apparently think he is a franchise QB.

Everyday Bears fans are funny, hated the Glennon moved and bitched all last season how the Bears needed to draft a QB. The so called experts said this wasn't a good QB draft so now no one likes these QB's. The GM and his scouting department watched more film on him than any of us, they like him. You'll finally get to judge how good or bad your GM is with this pick. I'm not sure why any fan wouldn't want Pace to be right but the general thought process seems to be when he fails it will prove I'm right.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I think it's far smarter to take a flyer on a QB than draft a running back in the top 10, like Fournette or McCaffrey.

QB is the most important position in football, with ease. Get a good one, and your franchise could be set for a decade.

Running backs' roles have diminished, and good backs are easy to find in the lower rounds or through free agency. Among the top 10 rushers in the NFL last season, only Zeke Elliott was drafted in the first round.

Plus RB's effectiveness tend to decline right around 30 due to wear and tear.

A good QB is a much better long-term investment, from an importance and longevity standpoint. Dice roll by Da Bears, but one worth taking.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Nobody, and I mean that literally, nobody has a clue how 99% of college QB's are going to adapt to the NFL. Every one of them is at best a 60/40 lottery ticket and most are closer to a coin flip. But if you're convinced someone has the chance to be a franchise guy, you have to clear the decks to get him. The position is so much more important than anything else on the field (or in sports for that matter) that ordinary discussion of draft value is moot.

That said, as expected, Pace traded back 6 spots in the second to recoup his 4th this season, a 4th next season and a 6th from AZ, so basically they got the QB they wanted for a 3rd round pick this season.

So much of this drama is a pernicious result of the single-round first day.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yewah but they picked a D2 TE in round 2, the city is on fire :D
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

To Rob's point about qbs and adaptation...I pray Im wrong but Jared Goff will never adapt. Deer in the head lights.

Bright side....

Love Rams taking a shot with Cooper Kupp in RD3. 8)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Mitchell Trubisky booed at United Center during Bulls-Celtics game

Let's boo the guy because you know he had a total say in when he got drafted. Kids dream is to make it to the NFL and his first impression of Chicago are its idiot fans.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:Mitchell Trubisky booed at United Center during Bulls-Celtics game

Let's boo the guy because you know he had a total say in when he got drafted. Kids dream is to make it to the NFL and his first impression of Chicago are its idiot fans.
Chin up, Mitch: You could have been drafted by the Eagles and been subjected to the lovely fans of Philadelphia.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote:
Danimal wrote:Mitchell Trubisky booed at United Center during Bulls-Celtics game

Chin up, Mitch: You could have been drafted by the Eagles and been subjected to the lovely fans of Philadelphia.
I was not going to go there, but that was what I was thinking.....

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Mitch,

Welcome to my world.

Glad to have some company.

:lol:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Danimal wrote:Yewah but they picked a D2 TE in round 2, the city is on fire :D
I actually was excited about that pick after I saw his highlight reel, that guy is a physical freak. May not work out but think Baby Gronk will be fun to watch (although his basketball background makes me think he is more White Antonio Gates). Hope he will do well and be running over Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in a year or two.

It is really funny that Pace took three small school guys. I would almost say he was trolling fans if I didn't know better. :D

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

A long but good read for all the Bears fans who get their sports knowledge from local radio.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705 ... nes-asking
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh dear god. Tannehill hurt, probably ACL tear again (since he never got it fixed last year) and rumors of Cutler or Kaep in Miami. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Can't imagine Kaep is an option in Miami with this Castro shirt and Miami Herald inquisition last year.

Cutler, though....

I just heard that Tannehill went down with a non contact injury, which always sucks, but that he was "walking gingerly" and it was the same knee that he sprained the ACL/MCL on last year. Is it an ACL officially, now?

Injuries happen every year, but damn. For a few days in, having so many guys going on IR seems worse than previous years.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Can't imagine Kaep is an option in Miami with this Castro shirt and Miami Herald inquisition last year.

Cutler, though....

I just heard that Tannehill went down with a non contact injury, which always sucks, but that he was "walking gingerly" and it was the same knee that he sprained the ACL/MCL on last year. Is it an ACL officially, now?

Injuries happen every year, but damn. For a few days in, having so many guys going on IR seems worse than previous years.
Only assuming it's his acl since he didn't get it fixed last year when it partially tore. Cutler might be interesting, only because he's never had as many weapons as he would have in Miami. Still can't stand him though and I don't think he's even an average NFL QB, especially after missing a year. Romo, where you at. LOL...hate him too. So basically there are no good options.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I know no one wants him but would they take a chance on C. Kaepernick?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

It would likely be Cutler, he has familiarity with the system and Cutler's best year was under Gase. Besides Cutler is a better choice than Kap for the system they run anyway.

I'm so sick of this Kap s*** it is beyond belief. The guy had a job HE opted out of the contract. Both Cutler and Romo are sitting on the sidelines as well, why is is Kap that is the one who deserves a shot? So sick of this media led nonsense for a guy who wasn't even a starter last year.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I don't care about Kaep or whatever his self-proclaimed righteous crusade is. Guys have been doing it before him, and will be doing it after him. I will believe, no matter what any NFL media guys or teams say, that it will always come down to talent vs. distraction vs. position.

If you're a superstar talent, you can get away with anything, as everybody knows. If you're a middling talent like Kaepernick, who can be effective in the right system, but can't carry a team on his back in any system he plays in, he better not be a distraction. He's a massive distraction. And at the position? If you're a BACKUP quarterback, you better be invisible. He's the polar opposite. A QB who CAN play in the right system, but an Everest-sized distraction at the QB2 role, which can't be a distraction. No chance any team other than a desperate team with a QB1 injury and no QB2 even looks at him. The owners will continue to exert their power with the horrible "know your place" example they're making out of him, while the coaches don't want the headaches and distractions...

...but that video of Tannehill falling didn't look good. That definitely looked like a 'knee pop' sort of reaction by him, and throwing the football from his back wasn't great. I can't imagine them taking a chance on Kaep after the Castro T-shirt crap, IN MIAMI of all places, but desperate teams do crazy things.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well Kaep wasn't the one who first brought up the protest.

He was asked about it.

He's definitely better than most of the backups around the league, even in his current state. The rumor is that the head coach and the GM for the Ravens want him but the owner doesn't.

Giants owner claimed their fans would abandon the team if they signed him. He can't be any worse than any of the Jets QB but of course their owner won't stand for having him on the team.

Just be honest about it, the owners don't like his politics and don't want him on their team. They have the right to make that decision, just own up to it.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

wco81 wrote: Just be honest about it, the owners don't like his politics and don't want him on their team. They have the right to make that decision, just own up to it.
Just be honest? He had a job and OPTED OUT OF HIS CONTRACT. He created his unemployment and he is not that good. If he was a superstar there wouldn't even be this conversation. Look at recent events in Dallas to see the double standard. If he was good he would have a job, at best he is unproven and more than likely an average QB.

I'm not saying his politics aren't the reason he has no offers. I'm saying if he was that good they wouldn't matter. He is not so they do, make your own bed and you deal with the results. He did this, he created his own situation and also being out of work. He some take some f***in responsibility for his own actions.
Follow Me on:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

He wasn't wanted by the 49ers, not by the owners, the new GM nor the new HC.

But that doesn't have anything to do with why he can't find another job.

Should he be able to get on a roster based on football reasons alone? That's up to every individual team but you see some of the guys who are on rosters over him and you have to scratch your head.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

wco81 wrote:He wasn't wanted by the 49ers, not by the owners, the new GM nor the new HC.
So what he still opted out, did he think he would be wanted elsewhere with his stats for the last few seasons and his act. If so he is a special kind of stupid or his agent is a moron. I'm not going to pretend I know the contract details but if it was a player option year then there were probably clauses that if he was cut he would get something.
But that doesn't have anything to do with why he can't find another job.
You're right, his talent, skills are mostly the reason and also reportedly his asking price. Also the fact that it seems he doesn't give a s*** probably doesn't help.
Follow Me on: