PES 2017

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PES 2017

Post by Rodster »

The game will feature an upgrade in graphics on the console versions and improved goalie play. The AI according to Konami will receive a healthy overhaul, if you use a certain player a lot the AI will begin to double team or closely mark the player.

The game will play much slower as Konami promises to be the most realistic soccer game.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pes-20 ... 0-6440345/

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: PES 2017

Post by 10spro »

I enjoyed 16. The AI on the keepers is what drove me nuts, but they claim is being revamped. We'll see.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I loved the team play in PES 2016. It felt like you were actually playing on a team. Unlike FIFA where it gives you that "you against the world" game play.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

First trailer...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The demo is out for X1. PS4 owners will get their taste later this afternoon.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for the info 10's

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

It just kills me that this game can't get a license for all the players and clubs

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Some early impressions from the XONE demo. Graphically the game looks damn good on the XONE, can't compare if it's on the same level as the PS4 but everything looks detailed and sharp on the XONE. The presentation took a step forward copying EA with the stadium flyover as the match begins and the players look detailed up close.

Last year you could cheeze your way by sliding tackling away without so much as a penalty. Well they addressed that. Fouls are in the game. I purposely slid tackled a player and got a yellow card, so did the CPU when they missed a sliding tackle and took out my player. I've seen non flagrant fouls called resulting in a free kick from the spot of the foul.

The CPU seems solid even on default settings. Again the words "team play" are in PES 2017. You don't get that me against the world FIFA feeling. I counted 9 teams in the demo.

The PS4 demo is downloading and i'll compare the graphics when it's finished. So far PES 2017 looks to be a nice "step up" from last years game both graphically and game play wise.

edit: I forgot to mention, the ball physics seems to have a nice weight to it. I fired a shot to the goal keeper at short range and it caused him to recoil back from the save, nice touch. Also the AI likes to go vertical as it does "Long Ball passing" in it's strategy as it mixes it's passes to move the ball up the pitch, whereas FIFA likes to use the short passing game by the CPU.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I cant agree that it looks good its a fuzzy mess while your playing, the close ups are good and the player likenesses are incredible but overall not close to where Fifa is going to be graphicly

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jimmydeicide wrote:I cant agree that it looks good its a fuzzy mess while your playing, the close ups are good and the player likenesses are incredible but overall not close to where Fifa is going to be graphicly
They'll never be at par with EA in the visuals department, but it's an improvement over 16 for sure. Real life look a-likes indeed.

And yes fouls are being called and so far no brain cramps from the goalie department which was my biggest beef last year. Thru passes are harder to connect.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I feel as if im dosed up on Nyquil playing this game. Fuzzy.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

First off, thanks to 10s for alerting me to this demo. Early impressions from the XB1 demo:

+ Good buildup play by AI offense. But sometimes the AI tries too much tiki-taka instead of going direct.
+ Solid ball physics. No beach balls.
+ Seeing fouls for a change.
+ AI defense can strip balls from human players without fouls or exaggerated slide tackles.
- I'm not seeing a lot of long balls played on offense by the AI. A bit too much tiki-taka.
- FIFA 16 modeled the physical jostling of one-on-one plays far better than PES 2017. I bet that gap continues to grow in FIFA 17.
- Graphics are very fuzzy and sub-par in action and close-ups compared to FIFA 16. Again, this gap should grow in FIFA 17.
- Very awkward aiming mechanism for goal kicks and corner kicks.
- Lousy AI marking in the midfield and the box. AI defense allows too much space for dribbling on default skill level. FIFA 16 found the right balance after the maniacal defending in the box and midfield by the AI in FIFA 15.

PES 2017 has slightly better team buildup by the AI than FIFA 16, but I don't think the gap is a chasm. We'll see how FIFA 17 plays. Right now, the slightly better AI doesn't offset the poor physical play, the lack of licenses and mediocre graphics of PES 2017, at least from my first impressions.

But hell, the demo is free. So I'll keep farting around with it. But the demo hasn't swayed me from FIFA 17 at all.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

From the presentation of the game along the visuals, PES 17 has improved. Damn, even the replays are a joy to watch compared to last year where the action was so zoomed in that you couldn't follow it properly. The player models were always outstanding and had always a heads up on EA.

Gameplay is buttery smooth, I really enjoy the pace of the games, again it just feels as if its really footie being played. Everything seems very realistic.

Yes, I also like to see more air balls from the AI, more frequent shooting in fact instead of always looking for that perfect pass.

Speaking of passes, I always prefer to leave it at Assist 1 or even manual. In this game that's the way to go, learn to play it properly or go play FIFA. With manual passes, you won't see too many tiki-taka action. Ball physics is solid, perfect weight distribution in my opinion.

I still would like to see the refs be more proactive in showing the yellow cards, fouls are called but unless it's from behind, they are pretty stingy showing them in action. That's one area they need to improve in online games. Dirt bags were getting away with murder last year.

Maybe by throwing a bad timed slide tackle will guarantee that.

However, when defending properly and applied at the right time, that slide tackle is a beauty to watch.

I don't worry too much about the licensing, it is what it is. Should I get the game this year, I am going again with the PS4, but it's nice to see Konami getting teams like Barca and Camp Nou which I don't think EA has access to in 17 (the stadium).

Overall, a solid demo. Bump up the AI difficulty if you want to see the CPU be more offensive but very good gameplay in general.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

When I said the graphics looked better I meant vs last years game and the year before. FIFA still offers the best graphics but i'm surely not disappointed by this years PES game. The point to be taken is that FINALLY Konami has this series on the right track.

Looking back at FIFA, it wasn't until FIFA 08 on the PS360 that the series began it's climb to where it's at today. PES is getting better and better with each passing year.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Looking back at FIFA, it wasn't until FIFA 08 on the PS360 that the series began it's climb to where it's at today. PES is getting better and better with each passing year.
Very true. I told my son last night that FIFA used to be so bad that PES was the only viable option for a realistic footy game. Now I think FIFA has surpassed PES as the most comprehensive footy package.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Looking back at FIFA, it wasn't until FIFA 08 on the PS360 that the series began it's climb to where it's at today. PES is getting better and better with each passing year.
Very true. I told my son last night that FIFA used to be so bad that PES was the only viable option for a realistic footy game. Now I think FIFA has surpassed PES as the most comprehensive footy package.
And if i'm not mistaken, FIFA got to where it's at today from pouching some of the talent that worked on the PES games. But the point is we are beginning to see a serious two horse race building up nicely now. Since the days of Seabass working on the PES series on the PS2, the PES series has turned the corner itself because for all of the great things it did during the PS2 era, it turned into what the FIFA series once was, an arcade game. FIFA abandoned that approach with FIFA 07 and Konami has done the same thing since building off of their FOX engine.

Question, is FIFA 17 the first to switch from the IGNITE to the Frostbite engine?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Question, is FIFA 17 the first to switch from the IGNITE to the Frostbite engine?
Yes, it's the first FIFA game on Frostbite. The only other EA Sports game running on Frostbite is Rory McIlroy PGA Tour.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Someone posted over at OS regarding the visuals:

PES 2017 Xbox One resolution is 1380 x 1080 and PS4-version is 1920 x 1080. I think Xbox One version scales to FullHD resolution, but image quality suffers from that weird and low native resolution.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

PES 2017 looks great on my PS4 and the game play is good but sliders will be needed because you can make long passes all day long. Doesn't seem to be much midfield play...seems to be wide open.
I loved FIFA 15....but FIFA 16 just didn't live up to my expectations so I bought PES 2016 and enjoyed it but the lack of licenses is a killer for me and I don't have the patience do update all the kits.
I'm hoping that FIFA 17 draws me back in like 15 did.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am loving the demo to the point that I'll be preordering the game. Tactics work like a charm, whether it's tiki-taka or Hug the lines, players move accordingly and efficiently. Love the tackles in the game, one thing that I'd like to see it tone down a touch, are the loft balls in your own zone as they all seem to carry some venom. The AI with the D is much improved reading the play.

Can't wait to hear the commentary, this demo is solid.

Win or lose I am loving the game, everything seems oh so realistic,

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

10s just hit your special control button, i use custom type 1 and switch sprint(RB) with special controls(rt) with each other so its the same as my Fifa controls and you just hit special control(rb) on crosses and lofted passes and it puts more loft and not so driven.

PK on goal kicks and corners/dead balls in the control menu switch free kick controls from reverse to normal.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

10spro wrote:I am loving the demo to the point that I'll be preordering the game. Tactics work like a charm, whether it's tiki-taka or Hug the lines, players move accordingly and efficiently. Love the tackles in the game, one thing that I'd like to see it tone down a touch, are the loft balls in your own zone as they all seem to carry some venom. The AI with the D is much improved reading the play.

Can't wait to hear the commentary, this demo is solid.

Win or lose I am loving the game, everything seems oh so realistic,
I'm pretty excited for the full version as well. I popped in FIFA 16 the other night just to compare the two, and the one thing that I found annoying was on defense in FIFA 16. At times, it seems the player you are controlling has this magnetic barrier to the CPU who has the ball. I don't experience that at all on the PES demo.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

sportdan30 wrote: At times, it seems the player you are controlling has this magnetic barrier to the CPU who has the ball. I don't experience that at all on the PES demo.
This I 1000% agree with and it frustrates the s*** out of me.. That said, I really enjoyed the PES demo, and I know this is shallow, but the lack of licensing is quite simply a deal breaker for me. At least it is at $60.
-BK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I can sympathize with folks not getting the game because of the licensing issue and I am fortunate I have a PS4. If you do, sites like PES Universe already have the kits ready to go. I thought I was going to go with just FIFA this year, but there's so much to like in this demo that I put a preorder yesterday.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

10spro wrote:I can sympathize with folks not getting the game because of the licensing issue and I am fortunate I have a PS4. If you do, sites like PES Universe already have the kits ready to go. I thought I was going to go with just FIFA this year, but there's so much to like in this demo that I put a preorder yesterday.
I hear there are going to be some great option files out there. I'll wait and see how they play out. If PES had the same licensing as FIFA it'd be a day one purchase for me.
-BK