Fifa 17 News

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Fifa 17 News

Post by pk500 »

No dice for me tonight. My son is having seven friends here to sleep over.

Eight 15- and 16-year-old boys crashing at our joint. I will be the one looking for intoxicants, not them ... :) :) :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

On sale for $40 through Amazon.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I just joined the club. My name is Reggie Dalton :). I definitely want to play. I'm hoping you guys can give me some pointers. I think I know more than I am letting on but i want input from you guys. I am a mid fielder but would change it to whatever is best for the club.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Diablo25 wrote:I just joined the club. My name is Reggie Dalton :). I definitely want to play. I'm hoping you guys can give me some pointers. I think I know more than I am letting on but i want input from you guys. I am a mid fielder but would change it to whatever is best for the club.
It's a miserable process, but I recommend spending whatever time you can playing drop-in games to improve your player. These are games played entirely with random idiots. They are selfish, play like morons and are generally complete sociopaths, but it will level your player much faster than just playing a few club games every night.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

What camera is best for club/drop in games?
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:What camera is best for club/drop in games?
The default one is not bad at all. My personal favourite though is telebroadcast. You can also go to the zoom option and customize the height, I have it at 17.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

For the camera, I've settled on Tele but I zoomed it out all the way. Sometimes I try Co-op, but it's very far away.

Diablo, i think it would be worth starting a player career mode and playing offline games player-locked to get a feeling for it. There are a couple of little tricks. The L-bumper, which is normally the "switch player" button, is handy when playing player locked. When you hold it, the game will move your guy to where he's "supposed" to be, so this can be super handy when your team is defending. The A-button will track the ball and keep you in a good defensive position. But the danger with the A-button is that's it will use up all your sprint energy. You want to try to conserve your sprint energy through the game and not over use it, and if you just hold the A-button all the time when the ball is near you, you will have a really tired player late in the game without really being aware you were using sprint. Lastly the L-trigger is really useful when you have the ball. When your hold it it protects the ball with your body, much like the A-button in NHL.

As 10s says, pass, pass, pass. Once your guy gets leveled up it's easier to just run past guy's with the ball, and that's what you'll see most randoms doing in drop in games, but it sucks for everyone else on the team. If that's all you do, it's not "team play." Pass pass pass. And don't be afraid to pass laterally or even back to keep possession and switch the point of attack.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

With the patch the button lag/delay is much better. I like to play a ground tiki-taka style and a lot of my passes were delayed, causing easy interceptions. Ground crossing has been addressed too, just wished the corners were nerfed a bit.

And Jimmy, now I know why I was telling you that I found single player on FUT harder than usual. Bloody mode was defaulting back to my CPU settings, even on the easier tourneys.

Just wish they were less injuries.

Team contain seems to work better for me now too.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I downloaded the big FIFA 17 patch with low expectations, and EA still didn't meet that low bar for offline play.

Full match, River v. Boca, eight-minute halves, Pro skill level. I'm River. I didn't see the CPU put a single ball in the air other than goal kicks or free kicks/corner kicks for the entire match. Not one. And this gameplay patch aids realism?

Then I played the same match in the PES 2017 demo. Pro skill level. I'm River. The CPU played two beautiful long balls, including one diagonal ball deep into the box, within the first 10 minutes of the match.

Then there's the "magic Velcro feet" of CPU defenders in FIFA. Backs seem to strip human players of the ball most of the time on the first attempt, even when shielding. I also never see my players intercept passes, even when in the passing lanes, unless I control them. I see my CPU-controlled players intercept passes from time to time in the PES 2017 demo.

FIFA 17 has really regressed as a single-player game this year compared to FIFA 16, which was fun and realistic enough offline.

If only PES 2017 had more modes, full licenses and stable online code. There would be zero question about which footy game to buy. But if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle ...
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:I downloaded the big FIFA 17 patch with low expectations, and EA still didn't meet that low bar for offline play.

Full match, River v. Boca, eight-minute halves, Pro skill level. I'm River. I didn't see the CPU put a single ball in the air other than goal kicks or free kicks/corner kicks for the entire match. Not one. And this gameplay patch aids realism?

Then I played the same match in the PES 2017 demo. Pro skill level. I'm River. The CPU played two beautiful long balls, including one diagonal ball deep into the box, within the first 10 minutes of the match.

Then there's the "magic Velcro feet" of CPU defenders in FIFA. Backs seem to strip human players of the ball most of the time on the first attempt, even when shielding. I also never see my players intercept passes, even when in the passing lanes, unless I control them. I see my CPU-controlled players intercept passes from time to time in the PES 2017 demo.

FIFA 17 has really regressed as a single-player game this year compared to FIFA 16, which was fun and realistic enough offline.

If only PES 2017 had more modes, full licenses and stable online code. There would be zero question about which footy game to buy. But if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle ...
I told you and if you had a PS4 you'd have the licenses and kits for the EPL and any League you're interested in. :P

That said I picked up FIFA 17 Deluxe, got a sweet deal on ebay. I dig the Journey mode but PES is the better football game. It's getting really close to the PS2 glory days.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Zeppo wrote:For the camera, I've settled on Tele but I zoomed it out all the way. Sometimes I try Co-op, but it's very far away.

Diablo, i think it would be worth starting a player career mode and playing offline games player-locked to get a feeling for it. There are a couple of little tricks. The L-bumper, which is normally the "switch player" button, is handy when playing player locked. When you hold it, the game will move your guy to where he's "supposed" to be, so this can be super handy when your team is defending. The A-button will track the ball and keep you in a good defensive position. But the danger with the A-button is that's it will use up all your sprint energy. You want to try to conserve your sprint energy through the game and not over use it, and if you just hold the A-button all the time when the ball is near you, you will have a really tired player late in the game without really being aware you were using sprint. Lastly the L-trigger is really useful when you have the ball. When your hold it it protects the ball with your body, much like the A-button in NHL.

As 10s says, pass, pass, pass. Once your guy gets leveled up it's easier to just run past guy's with the ball, and that's what you'll see most randoms doing in drop in games, but it sucks for everyone else on the team. If that's all you do, it's not "team play." Pass pass pass. And don't be afraid to pass laterally or even back to keep possession and switch the point of attack.
Will do! Solid advice. I'll give it a go.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I never played Be A Pro mode in any FIFA but i'm finding Career mode on the player side to be a blast. Did career mode replace Be A Pro or are they still one and the same?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

All the issues PK noted are not a problem in Career Mode, go figure. So EA intentionally or unintentionally borked the single player mode with inconsistent defensive backline AI and nothing but short passing.

I'm finding FIFA career mode more immersive than The Show's RTTS mode.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:All the issues PK noted are not a problem in Career Mode, go figure.
I've found the opposite to be true. I started a career as Newcastle and stopped after about five hours due to the maddening frustration with the gameplay.

PES 2017 has more realistic, satisfying gameplay than FIFA 17. End of story, at least for me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Ha, same team I started my career with. :)

Yup, i'm seeing medium and long ball passing, granted it's not as common as I would like but it's there. But PES is still the way to go for proper footie action this year.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That's it: I've had it. I'm done with FIFA 17 as a single-player game unless I decide to drop into the frustrating rat hole of slider adjustments.

FIFA 17 is a terrible offline game with default settings. Runs from your AI-controlled teammates are idiotic. CPU defenders have Velcro feet and take the ball on the first attempt, even when I'm shielding. The CPU almost always keeps the ball on the ground in a slow buildup attack. No long ball counterattacks whatsoever. The new, slower default speed of human passes is complete dogsh*t, with very little ability to vary the speed of passes without using a button for power passes, which my teammates usually mishandle. The CPU dances through my defense in the box even when I cut off passing lanes, stay on my feet and don't lunge.

This is the worst offline FIFA game I can recall since EA got serious about transforming FIFA from an arcade game to a sim about five years ago. The game has really regressed this year offline.

Absolutely no question PES 2017 has more realistic offline gameplay. The chasm in quality hasn't been this wide in years.

Good thing my kid loves FIFA 17, or I would have felt like I wasted $50.

cfiore
Mario Mendoza

Post by cfiore »

pk500 wrote:That's it: I've had it. I'm done with FIFA 17 as a single-player game unless I decide to drop into the frustrating rat hole of slider adjustments.

FIFA 17 is a terrible offline game with default settings. Runs from your AI-controlled teammates are idiotic. CPU defenders have Velcro feet and take the ball on the first attempt, even when I'm shielding. The CPU almost always keeps the ball on the ground in a slow buildup attack. No long ball counterattacks whatsoever. The new, slower default speed of human passes is complete dogsh*t, with very little ability to vary the speed of passes without using a button for power passes, which my teammates usually mishandle. The CPU dances through my defense in the box even when I cut off passing lanes, stay on my feet and don't lunge.

This is the worst offline FIFA game I can recall since EA got serious about transforming FIFA from an arcade game to a sim about five years ago. The game has really regressed this year offline.

Absolutely no question PES 2017 has more realistic offline gameplay. The chasm in quality hasn't been this wide in years.

Good thing my kid loves FIFA 17, or I would have felt like I wasted $50.
Once you add a good option file to PES2017, it plays a great game of soccer and I have my full MLS (or whatever league you follow, as there are some great one out there for EPL, Serie A etc...) and just started my ML. Also I read I have not tried yet that the new data update as of yesterday improved gameplay or tweaked it in some way.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

cfiore wrote: Once you add a good option file to PES2017, it plays a great game of soccer and I have my full MLS (or whatever league you follow, as there are some great one out there for EPL, Serie A etc...) and just started my ML. Also I read I have not tried yet that the new data update as of yesterday improved gameplay or tweaked it in some way.
Are OF's available for the XONE? I have them for the PS4 and it makes PES 2017 so much better with team kits and logos.

That said i'm still having a lot of fun with FIFA 17 PS4 with my created player in career mode. I'm not seeing what PK has listed. I'm even seeing long passes although that's not common but I saw 2 long passes by the CPU in my last career match.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
cfiore wrote: Once you add a good option file to PES2017, it plays a great game of soccer and I have my full MLS (or whatever league you follow, as there are some great one out there for EPL, Serie A etc...) and just started my ML. Also I read I have not tried yet that the new data update as of yesterday improved gameplay or tweaked it in some way.
Are OF's available for the XONE? I have them for the PS4 and it makes PES 2017 so much better with team kits and logos.

That said i'm still having a lot of fun with FIFA 17 PS4 with my created player in career mode. I'm not seeing what PK has listed. I'm even seeing long passes although that's not common but I saw 2 long passes by the CPU in my last career match.
XB1 does not allow option files, which is a bummer. But I don't care. I'll just edit the team names and be done with it when I get PES 2017, as the gameplay is just miles ahead of FIFA offline.

One other complaint about FIFA: Accrington Stanley plays in the same style as Barcelona. The lack of accurate play style variety between teams is appalling. EA has one cookie cutter for soccer.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote: One other complaint about FIFA: Accrington Stanley plays in the same style as Barcelona. The lack of accurate play style variety between teams is appalling. EA has one cookie cutter for soccer.
And that's a complaint i've noted many times. The teams and players lack personality/strategy regardless of the Leagues. It's like FIFA meets Nascar's tri-oval racing.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:It's like FIFA meets Nascar's tri-oval racing.
Hahahaha. Well said! :D

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

At least with Fifa you have the ability with sliders to find what you want out of the game or if you're like me let others do the work.
Pes you get what you get and although on the surface it can be pretty awesome , it has as many warts as the other. Its way too open and end to end for the most part, no midfield unless you play a team whos tactics happen to lend itself to it.

The constant sprint retreat to defense after possession changes drives me crazy sometimes you can see 6 players just sprinting back to their defensive position with no regard for what the opponent is even doing. At least with Fifa they stay engaged .

Thats my opinion. the grass isnt greener its just a different shade.

I wouldnt spend 60 on it thats for sure, too much work to do but at a discount sure, might even dabble myself.
Let us know if it drops in price. :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yeah, I can't justify a $60 purchase for a game that only offers stellar offline play without proper licensing. But if I see it on sale, I'm grabbing it. Problem is, PES 2017 is such a niche title that it doesn't go on sale often like games from big publishers.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

There are key improvements on EA's new engine this year which are quite noticeable, such as the set pieces, attacking techniques and the emphasis on physical play. In particular the latter feature is a nice overhaul where stronger players are capable of barging smaller ones off the ball but can also fend off defenders and keep hold of the ball.

I like building my plays from the ground up in typical SA style. The slower the better. :) I don't care much for air balls whether the CPU plays them or not.

Compared to PES, you can say that the gameplay is slower, reliant on steady build ups and accurate passing to break down D's. Whether you're using just A to pass, RB A or RB Y, how your player receives that particular pass may seem like a complex command and that's where some may prefer the simplicity in control from PES while delivering a faster gameplay.

Yes, you need to rely much more on the accuracy of your player rating when it comes to passing in Fifa.

The faster action in PES translates into quicker end to end action as you can pull off great pieces of skill with an ease that Fifa may lack. Their ball physics and collision detection issues have been much better but when it comes to the passing department, PES is a master at it.

Konami has a slight edge in gameplay but FIFA is far from being unplayable and with a new engine is still superior to 15 and slightly better than 16.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I wonder if some of the complaints about the game play has anything to do with switching to a new game engine i.e. "Frostbite"? That usually adds to certain parts of the game taking a step back.