Fifa 17 News

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Fifa 17 News

Post by sportdan30 »

It won't allow me to download for some reason. I click on free trial and takes me to another screen but no download. :|

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Finally, those who say FIFA's AI offense doesn't use the long ball must not be playing the same game as me. I see AI teams in FIFA use long passes sometimes to relieve smart defensive positioning and aggressive defensive play by my strikers and attacking midfielders.
I played another game this time using the Co-Op camera and saw the CPU advance the ball using long passing, twice but the weird thing that I saw was that the ball was kicked from and to the exact same spot twice (inside mid-field to outside the box, to the right of the GK). It looked scripted but i'll play a few more games to see if there are long ball kicks from different spots on the pitch.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

FIFA review @ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -17-review

They mentioned one of my biggest pet peeves: "but this is let down on the defensive side, with your CPU teammates (or opposition) too frequently being pulled out of position. Far too often have I found myself galloping free from the half-way line thanks to a simple through ball, even on higher difficulty levels. This barely happens in real-life any more - defenders are too well-drilled, too athletic - and it hardly ever happens in rival football games."

"What improvements there have been are almost entirely cosmetic, where Frostbite really comes into its own - for what it's worth, this is the best-looking football game ever."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:FIFA review @ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -17-review

They mentioned one of my biggest pet peeves: "but this is let down on the defensive side, with your CPU teammates (or opposition) too frequently being pulled out of position. Far too often have I found myself galloping free from the half-way line thanks to a simple through ball, even on higher difficulty levels. This barely happens in real-life any more - defenders are too well-drilled, too athletic - and it hardly ever happens in rival football games."
Granted it's only the demo, but I find the through ball far more lethal and easy to succeed with in PES 2017 than FIFA 17. Funny how that works.

I will admit the AI of the CPU-controlled defensive players on the human team is better in PES than FIFA. It's not a massive advantage but noticeable.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:FIFA review @ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -17-review

Granted it's only the demo, but I find the through ball far more lethal and easy to succeed with in PES 2017 than FIFA 17. Funny how that works.

I will admit the AI of the CPU-controlled defensive players on the human team is better in PES than FIFA. It's not a massive advantage but noticeable.
I also find that to be the case as well which is why I don't use it. Last year it was the no calls on the sliding tackles in PES 2017 and I also resisted using that as well. Every game will always have its set of money plays to exploit. Although I can't say how effective the through ball in PES 2017 is at 10spro's "Dark Souls" difficulty level with everything set to manual? I'm not that good to play at the highest difficulty level.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

OK "The Journey" is pretty badass ! 8)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I also find that to be the case as well which is why I don't use it. Last year it was the no calls on the sliding tackles in PES 2017 and I also resisted using that as well. Every game will always have its set of money plays to exploit. Although I can't say how effective the through ball in PES 2017 is at 10spro's "Dark Souls" difficulty level with everything set to manual? I'm not that good to play at the highest difficulty level.
Being forced to eschew a basic offensive tactic because it's too effective is not a characteristic I would associate with "the greatest football game of all time," according to a review posted earlier in this thread.

PES 2017 is very, very good. But again, I don't see the big edge over FIFA 17 that some here and other places on the Web claim. There's a "F*ck EA, let's pull for the plucky underdog Konami" mentality at work here, possibly because it's so refreshing to find a console sports gaming genre with competition between two publishers! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I also find that to be the case as well which is why I don't use it. Last year it was the no calls on the sliding tackles in PES 2017 and I also resisted using that as well. Every game will always have its set of money plays to exploit. Although I can't say how effective the through ball in PES 2017 is at 10spro's "Dark Souls" difficulty level with everything set to manual? I'm not that good to play at the highest difficulty level.
Being forced to eschew a basic offensive tactic because it's too effective is not a characteristic I would associate with "the greatest football game of all time," according to a review posted earlier in this thread.

PES 2017 is very, very good. But again, I don't see the big edge over FIFA 17 that some here and other places on the Web claim. There's a "F*ck EA, let's pull for the plucky underdog Konami" mentality at work here, possibly because it's so refreshing to find a console sports gaming genre with competition between two publishers! :)
And FIFA 17 is also a very good game. The reviews consensus from both the media and gamers is that PES 2017 did more right than wrong this year and is the better game. That said if you prefer one style of game over the other, none of the info will sway you or anyone else because you will use your favorite game as the standard bearer. It works the other way on the PES side as well.

My theory on the through balls is that FIFA uses a direct straight line in front of the player whereas PES automatically adjust the angle of the through ball for a scoring opportunity. Which is why 10spro plays with all assist off and manual passing and finds PES to play as realistic as the game itself.

I always buy both games and this year is no exception for me and "The Journey" just sold me on a day one purchase.

cfiore
Mario Mendoza

Post by cfiore »

I think a lot of it may be down to "different strokes for different folks" a la when 2K was still putting out football and hockey up against EA. I think having two choices is great and we will all play whichever plays better for each of us as individuals.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I think this year when you try the RB plus Y through balls, they are quite lethal in Fifa than just the usual Y. Give it a try.

On PES, the Superstar level is not imposible Rods, just be patient building your play, you may NOT be on the winning side but you can still control gameplay.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

pk500 wrote:

I'll be getting FIFA too...just gonna play PES first.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I'm addicted to ultimate team, so FIFA for me.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:I've played and watched soccer for about 15 years,

I am opposite that i know nothing about soccer tactics or strategy. That is why I prefer FIFA. It's a casual easy pick up and play soccer game. My ignorance of the sport makes me have more fun with the FIFA series since I'm not aware of how things are supposed to be. I like the abundance of teams and fact that all the teams are available out of the box. Online is also simple and fun. It's the only online game I play because I don't get caught up in the rankings. I am good enough to get to level 7 or 8, but not past it. But I am ok with that because I will always play vs people at my skill level.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

REALLY annoying to kick it off another player and the game calling it an Own Goal. Even the keeper! Seen it three times in the first game I played. Stupid. The rest of the game is fantastic so far.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

If the shot is off target and it goes in yes its an own goal if its on frame and deflects in it should go to the attacker.
I believe thats officially correct.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:If the shot is off target and it goes in yes its an own goal if its on frame and deflects in it should go to the attacker.
I believe thats officially correct.
Well yeah that makes sense...but all three goals were right in front of the net. All three on frame, none went to the attacker. Hell, going off the keeper pretty much guarantees it's on frame, no? LOL.

So yeah...it's scored weird for some reason.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I was going to ask the same question. If I score and it hits the goalie on any part of his body it's an own goal. Last year it was a goal awarded to the offensive player. This year it seems like a glitch. Unless they changed the rules.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

No lol its a glitch.
But just cos your right in front doesnt mean it was on target. :D

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If it's a glitch, hopefully it can be addressed in a patch.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I've been enjoying this game a lot so far, but the flaws are more apparent to me because I've been playing a ton of "the journey" and I've been exclusively player-locking to my guy.

There are almost zero long passes over the top by either team, ever. Only if I call for a lofted through ball on my own do I ever see one. The AI only ever passes it station to station and never tries to get behind with a through ball of any kind. Also, no AI player ever tries to break down and dribble past his defender. It's just boring, station to station passing occasionally resulting in a shot from inside the box or a cross from within 18 yds of the end line.

So I'm seeing no personality whatsoever, not from individual players nor from team to team. And it's even more frustrating from my own team!

Another frustration is the total absence of any tactics or even overall strategic information as a player. Are we pressing high, or sitting back and inviting them to come in order to catch them on a counter? Are we supposed to play from the back and keep possession or hoof up long balls for our forwards to knock down? (Of course I know the answer to that one, this is FIFA, but you get my drift.). It just makes the experience of being player locked a little less than half of what it could be.

Online vs has been good for me so far. Whereas offline there are basically never any fouls, online head to head they seem to happen at a good rate. I think crosses into the box are much more useful than last year where I couldn't put a cross where it should go to save my life. Defending is ok, maybe a little better than last year. Slide tackle seems more useful and less catastrophically dangerous. I don't really like the new corner kick system, but I really like the free kick camera switch option especially for those free kicks in my own half. But it does seem that shots from outside the box, in that 20-25 yard distance, are far too effective. A lot of goals against me have come from those shots. It's nice if you feel like it CAN happen, but they are way to accurate way too often and go in at an unrealistically high rate.

Overall I really enjoy playing the game, but the journey may soon end for me if I can't start manhandling the flow of the game from my player locked place. I guess I could play as the whole team before fully throwing in the towel, but I also know the opposing AI controlled teams will always play the same, boring station to station way. Blech.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Zeppo wrote:I'm seeing no personality whatsoever, not from individual players nor from team to team. And it's even more frustrating from my own team!
That's been true of FIFA for years. I can play a match between ManU vs Man City and follow that with a game between Blackburn vs Sheffield Weds and both games will feel the same. And it's not just me saying that but the reviews over the years indicate that as well.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I am enjoying the game overall as well. The AI difficulty seems to differ in tournament modes under FUT, as I reached the finals twice in the Amateur Starter Cup yet everything seems very scripted for me NOT to win the tournament unless I get an 'Elite' or two players.

In Seasons, everything is fine not much has changed although corner kicks seem a bit too OP again for my taste much like in FIFA 15. If you don't have tall CB's it's almost a sure goal.

Haven't touched the Journey yet other than the demo as I play mostly FUT.

Do we have enough dudes for a DSP club?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:Do we have enough dudes for a DSP club?
I'm interested. Season ended last weekend, so I'm home a lot more until next March.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

what is a club and how does it work?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:Do we have enough dudes for a DSP club?
I'm interested but i'm on the PS4