RIP: PRINCE????

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

RIP: PRINCE????

Post by FifaInspected »

Please... I sure hope these reports are false. it's being reported he passed.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: RIP: PRINCE????

Post by FifaInspected »

Unfortunately the news is true. Prince dead at 57.

This guy has written the soundtrack to my life. From the early 80's until today. I can't get my head around this.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Seems like I've been hearing about it for days...it's a hoax! No it's not! Yes it is! No it's not....

It's just crazy, but at this point it seems that it most assuredly is not a hoax. Incredibly sad, if true.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

It's true,
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/leg ... 244a7b2a5b
Man this sucks, I know that everything that lives shall die, but this blows. I loved all his music kept me going through the early years. Prayers to his family and may he rest in peace.

But on the other hand, it's been rumored that he has enough music in his vault to release an album per year for over thirty years, I guess we'll found out if that's true.
gamertag: ddtrane65

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It's now hit AP News so it appears it's not a hoax. According to his publicist he died in his home.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 1-13-26-00

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Sitting at a coffee shop trying to catch up with some work on a spare afternoon when I got the news - absolutely beside myself.

I came to Prince late but I don't think I would have survived my adolescence (and beyond) without his music.

F@cking devastated here....

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I saw Prince so many times in concert, just can't believe it. I'm reading it was from the flu, is that for real?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

If this isn't sad enough the news anchors are clueless as to who he really was. I might be a grown man but like Macca.. I'm F@cking devastated as well.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Very sad news indeed. So many hits. He was so damn creative musically.

Supposedly, MTV has interrupted programming and started playing his music videos.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Up there with Michael Jackson as one of the best musicians in my lifetime. The best Super Bowl halftime performance IMO was done by him.

Shocked to have found out this news. He will be missed!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Genius. Fearless. One of the greatest guitar players ever. Bridged gap between rock, pop, soul and R&B better than anyone, even the Gloved One.

Between Pearl Washington yesterday and Prince today, I have lost two major personal icons of my late teens and early 20s in consecutive days.

Bumming hard.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I am with all of you guys. Totally crushed here. Just a pure genius like Paul said. I still remember going to see Purple Rain when it came out and hoping it wouldn't be bad...and it was awesome. The opening and ending scenes to Purple Rain still get me fired up. RIP in the biggest way :(
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

He was a true talent, his music inspirational. Apparently was working on an album for next year called Memoirs. Dude could move on stage while whipping that guitar, those moves, those splits...He could play any instruments.

Will always remember 'Little Red Corvette, 'When Doves Cry', 'Kiss', and my favourite 'Purple Rain'.

RIP Prince.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

"Purple Rain" is my favorite song of all time by any artist. Not trying to be morbid, but it's the song I want playing in the background when I'm passing from this life to the next. Everyone in my family knows it -- wife and kids. So they better deliver! :)

Genius is such a cliche. But it's not when applied to David Bowie or Prince Rogers Nelson, two maestros we lost too soon this year.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If you search his interview with Larry King back in 99, you can see the genius and simplicity in his life and choice of songs, the people that influenced him.

I still remember getting my CD 'Purple Rain' poster included.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I loved him too. That was our time. He was at his height when many of us were in that sweet spot.

Too many songs but My favorite memory is dancing to erotic city with this pretty little blonde at one of my first frat parties.

I owe him a ty for that night.

R.I.P.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Another Lonely Christmas one of my favorite Prince tunes. Purple Rain sits at the top of the list. Of all the emotions I wasn't sure if I wanted to listen to him today. I did. It was live, it was loud, and it was phenomenal. Tomorrow we wake to a world without Prince and a void that will never be filled.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I've been devastated all day by this. I'm a borderline-obsessive Prince fan. Maybe not so borderline, actually.

I've seen him 8 times live. Been to Paisley Park twice. Own literally everything he ever released plus at least 60 bootlegs from the pre-file sharing era. We're talking old-fashioned European "releases" with artwork, inaccurate track listings, the works... I spent a good five year stretch pretty wrapped up in a Chicago fan group where we had regular club nights, private parties, all kinds of organized awesomeness. I was in deep.

Despite all this, I'm able to be critical of his output. I feel since his late 90's religious awakening, both his recorded output and his live shows have become inconsistent at best. He abandoned so much of his own legacy and also so much of both the edginess and humor that marked his best work. His live shows too often devolved into medley-driven ego fests.

All that said, he's still the greatest live performer of our time. Even at his nadir, he would casually go supernova, displaying the polymathic genius that made him so special. At his peak, there was nothing like it. James Brown had the showmanship, but he wasn't a musician. Miles Davis had the musical skill, but he wasn't a showman and he wasn't a popular musician. Hendrix had the showmanship and the chops, but he wasn't able to compose like Prince and he never was able to run a band.

When it was clicking in the 80's and 90's, every night was a goddamn revelation. He would change set lists from night to night at the arena, then go play epic, 2-3 hour aftershows. He would write songs onstage, sitting Indian-style on the stage and writing lyrics in his notebook while his band blasted on behind him like some unholy progeny of Duke Ellington and Sly Stone. He would do a ballad and grown women would lose their goddamn minds. The first time I was present for this I was gobsmacked. I didn't know that people could still scream incoherently like that at a live show. It was sex personified.

His recorded output is a deep and powerful legacy. Critics, who mostly wrote off his work since the mid-90's are going to have a field day when they reassess his material from 93-'00. I'm not going to miss his music, because between his released material and the vault there will be year's worth still to come. God willing, someone like Questlove will get the creative keys to the kingdom to help manage the releases.

What I'm going to miss are those crowds.

Nothing feels like a Prince show. I've seen every major arena artist from the last 20 years and so many of the great live acts in smaller venues as well. Nothing comes close. Springsteen is nearly as captivating a performer live, but his audience, while adoring, is pretty damn dull. Prince created Paisely Park in every venue he played. Gay, straight, white, black, hispanic, old, Puerto Rican, young, trans-gendered, hip hop heads, guitar nerds, jazz fans, 80's kids, religious and hedonist...everyone was there, loving each other and the music. People dressed UP for a Prince show. People danced in the aisles and wept, actually wept, at the beauty. And he could, with a Chaplainesque tilt of his head or a Belushi-like raised eyebrow, make that audience jump.

That I miss already.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

RIP Prince... loved his music. :(
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

FifaInspected wrote:Of all the emotions I wasn't sure if I wanted to listen to him today. I did. It was live, it was loud, and it was phenomenal.
Identical experience here. I texted my 17-year-old daughter to tell her the news, as my kids all know how much I dig Prince and that "Purple Rain" is my favorite song. I told her I didn't know if I could listen to his music yesterday because I might break down and cry. She replied, "Nothing wrong with showing emotion."

So, inspired by my kid, I cranked Prince all day and night. Shed a tear the first time I played "Purple Rain," but for the rest of the time, the music inspired, motivated, amazed and pleased me like always.

DSP's own EZSnappin -- a COLOSSAL Prince fan -- said it best on Facebook: Rest in Paisley, Prince.
Last edited by pk500 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Great, eloquent read, Rob. Thanks for sharing, man.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Hell yeah Rob V! Thank you for that. I have seen more live music than I could ever articulate and have had many of those "spiritual" moments that you described above, but it has been (and of course is even more so now) my biggest regret of live music that I never was able to see Prince perform.
Last edited by Spooky on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

pk500 wrote:So, inspired by my kid, I cranked Prince all day and night. Shed a tear the first time I played "Purple Rain," but for the rest of the time, the music inspired, motivated, amazed and pleased me like always.
It was really cool to see the sadness turn to celebration here in Minneapolis last night.

They shut down the streets outside First Avenue for a big block party and then First Ave hosted an all-night dance party. Awesome to see so many people come together.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I usually don't like it when brands capitalize on the death of pop culture icons on social media, as it's usually cliched or ham-fisted, at best. But Chevrolet NAILED it with this tweet yesterday:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I usually hate those corp tributes, too, but that one made me smile.
Last edited by greggsand on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474