R.I.P. Joe Garagiola 90

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

R.I.P. Joe Garagiola 90

Post by Rodster »

He was there with Scully calling some memorable World Series games. I never found him irritating like Tim McCarver.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: R.I.P. Joe Garagiola 90

Post by pk500 »

Many fond memories of watching games with Garagiola behind the mike back when I gave a sh*t about baseball. He also broke ground for athletes to crossover into mainstream morning TV with his role on the "TODAY" show.

RIP.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Well, growing up in St. Louis, where baseball reigns supreme, Garagiola was one of the golden boys from the The Hill in St. Louis, which also produced Yogi Berra. When I was young, I just knew he was important. He played for the Cardinals, had broadcasted for the Cardinals, and then went on to more national work.

My first memories of him are most likely from To Tell the Truth, though. When I was nine, it was just cool that a St. louis guy was hoping a national TV show.

XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I met Joe during my first spring training with Milwaukee. He came and spoke to all minor leaguers about tobacco use. He was very passionate about the issue because he lost a close friend to cancer connected to its use. He actually yelled at us in the meeting which stuck with me. I never forgot the meeting. RIP.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25