MLB Season 2022. Playball!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2017. Playball!

Post by Spooky »

pk500 wrote:Baseball lost me after the 1994 strike. But after that Vin Scully first pitch and an incredible game, I may be getting interested in the World Series this year. That was compelling theater from the first pitch to the last.
Compelling theater from the first pitch to the last = Last years World Series. You missed out my friend.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:Boy, what a game 2. Not sure R. Hill should have been pulled that early, but I guess D. Roberts had that much trust in his bullpen. Did it ever backfire for the Dodgers, albeit they put a good fight in the end. You just can’t count those Astros bats out. They can swing at anything.
Yep, agreed. EPIC.

Gotta admit that I shut off the TV after Verlander gave up the 2 run bomb in the 6th thinking things did not look good for a comeback with the Dodgers pen and I was exhausted from a very full day at work. Truth is, I gave up on them.

Something made me get up about an hour later and turned it back on and OMG...what an incredible 9th/10th/11th.

Lesson #2 for me....again, I can't give up on this Team.....I gave up after getting swept in NY and did not think they could win that series.

'Stros HAD to get this game if they wanted to have a shot at winning this one. They did and I won't be giving up on these guys for the rest of this series.

Interesting stat.....the Dodgers closer, Kenley Jansen.....he threw a cut fastball 67 times previously this season. Only 3 hits all season off those 67 pitches and all singles. Marwin Gonzalez hits one that flattened out in the middle of the strike zone for his ONLY HR/RBI of the postseason after leading the 'Stros with 90 during the season.....whoda thunk it?

And....LA was 98-0 this season after leading in the 8th inning.....

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Spooky wrote:
pk500 wrote:Baseball lost me after the 1994 strike. But after that Vin Scully first pitch and an incredible game, I may be getting interested in the World Series this year. That was compelling theater from the first pitch to the last.
Compelling theater from the first pitch to the last = Last years World Series. You missed out my friend.
I watched Game 7. Enjoyed it.

But I didn't feel like I missed anything by skipping the prior games. It's baseball after all, sports' answer to Valium. And I don't care about the beloved Cubbies -- or any other team, for that matter. Maybe the Yankees. Grew up watching and loving them. My father still watches or listens to nearly every game.

I feel the same way about baseball that many of you probably feel about boxing. What? Who? When? I had no idea who won any of the pennants this year until the playoffs started. I knew the Dodgers were doing extraordinarily well but faded a bit down the stretch. Otherwise, nada. :)

But last night WAS exciting! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Another game for the ages. Wow, what a game 5 between the Astros and Dodgers, I can’t imagine what these fans are going thru. A defibrillator nearby is advised.

No lead is safe between these two teams, seesaw battle throughout the 10 innings as Jansen doesn’t look as unhittable as he did early in the post season. There was some poor defense by the home team, equally inept base running by the Dodgers, homers, drama, this game had it all.

With the quality of this WS, I hope it goes all the way to game 7, as I have no affiliation to either team but with Verlander pitching next, I like HOU’s chances of becoming the next champions. Being down 0-4 and with Kershaw pitching things didn’t look too good for them, but with that lineup you can never count them out.

Oh Santa Maria, what a series...

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:Another game for the ages. Wow, what a game 5 between the Astros and Dodgers, I can’t imagine what these fans are going thru. A defibrillator nearby is advised.

No lead is safe between these two teams, seesaw battle throughout the 10 innings as Jansen doesn’t look as unhittable as he did early in the post season. There was some poor defense by the home team, equally inept base running by the Dodgers, homers, drama, this game had it all.

With the quality of this WS, I hope it goes all the way to game 7, as I have no affiliation to either team but with Verlander pitching next, I like HOU’s chances of becoming the next champions. Being down 0-4 and with Kershaw pitching things didn’t look too good for them, but with that lineup you can never count them out.

Oh Santa Maria, what a series...
Not much to add to that with the exception that I hope it does NOT go to game 7....

Am I the only one who is thinking both teams and their bullpens are gassed at this point? A day off that includes a 3.5 hour flight to LA......

What a Series.....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I remember the rollercoaster ride of the 1986 WS and the improbable win by the Mets in gm 6 then going on to win it in gm 7. I don't think Boston fans have ever forgiven Bill Buckner. :lol:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

DivotMaker wrote:Am I the only one who is thinking both teams and their bullpens are gassed at this point? A day off that includes a 3.5 hour flight to LA......

What a Series.....
A bit of that, but ultimately when you see guys like Jansen getting hit as if he was just average, guys like B. Morrow pitching every game all of the sudden the bats know what you’re going to throw what not. And we are talking about two potent offenses that can just lit it anytime as you know.

You probably saw how Verlander was talking to Altuve extensively at one point, and that’s not to share seeds, they are talking pitches, what everyone is thinking, strategy, weaknesses, etc.

With C. Devenski trying to close the game with a three run lead, I was telling myself there’s no way Dodgers come back at all. If any team walks any batter at all in this series, chances are that eventually they are going to score.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:Is that you Divot?

https://instagram.com/p/Ba3BTzRhvj1/
LOL, no, but I support throwing the opposing teams' HR ball back into the field....not sure if that is tradition all across MLB, but it is in the Juice Box...

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

DivotMaker wrote:
10spro wrote:Is that you Divot?

https://instagram.com/p/Ba3BTzRhvj1/
LOL, no, but I support throwing the opposing teams' HR ball back into the field....not sure if that is tradition all across MLB, but it is in the Juice Box...
That all started at Wrigley. :wink:
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

DivotMaker wrote:
Am I the only one who is thinking both teams and their bullpens are gassed at this point? A day off that includes a 3.5 hour flight to LA......

What a Series.....
Bullpens are gassed. They've also been overly exposed and had their usage patterns all blown to bits. Add in the balls, which are demonstrably juiced, and you have these real-life versions of RBI Baseball.

You can watch a lot of baseball and not see something as stupid as Dave Roberts wasting an out trying to sacrifice a runner from 2nd to 3rd with one nobody out in that insane run-scoring environment. He deserved to lose that game for that decision alone. Good thing that run didn't come back to haunt them or anything. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:You can watch a lot of baseball and not see something as stupid as Dave Roberts wasting an out trying to sacrifice a runner from 2nd to 3rd with one nobody out in that insane run-scoring environment. He deserved to lose that game for that decision alone. Good thing that run didn't come back to haunt them or anything. :)
Or the fastest guy on the dodgers not understanding his third base coach yelling at him to Go Go Go on the sac fly...lol, No No No.

That throw by Ethier on the game winner was Barry Bonds like. Not being able to even really make it close from deep short was pathetic.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:You can watch a lot of baseball and not see something as stupid as Dave Roberts wasting an out trying to sacrifice a runner from 2nd to 3rd with one nobody out in that insane run-scoring environment. He deserved to lose that game for that decision alone. Good thing that run didn't come back to haunt them or anything. :)
Or the fastest guy on the dodgers not understanding his third base coach yelling at him to Go Go Go on the sac fly...lol, No No No.

That throw by Ethier on the game winner was Barry Bonds like. Not being able to even really make it close from deep short was pathetic.
Good thing Bregman hit it to LF and not to Puig who likely makes that throw easily and we are on to more innings....

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They also said the LF porch in Houston is very short.

So the HRs may die down at Dodgers Stadium in the next two games unless they have another heat wave there this time of the year.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:They also said the LF porch in Houston is very short.

So the HRs may die down at Dodgers Stadium in the next two games unless they have another heat wave there this time of the year.
It's cold here this week. Should be fine.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Dodger Stadium at night is slightly less HR-friendly than Minute Maid, but not much. MM is not the HR-crazy place that it was being portrayed as. It's basically HR-neutral.

When looking at the effect on runs scored as a whole, it's the most pitcher-friendly park in baseball since it was renovated.

I have no idea how broadcasters that get paid to discuss the game can be so ill-informed about such basic stuff, but I should be used to it by now.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:

Dodger Stadium at night is slightly less HR-friendly than Minute Maid, but not much. MM is not the HR-crazy place that it was being portrayed as. It's basically HR-neutral.

When looking at the effect on runs scored as a whole, it's the most pitcher-friendly park in baseball since it was renovated.

I have no idea how broadcasters that get paid to discuss the game can be so ill-informed about such basic stuff, but I should be used to it by now.
The only homer hit so far in this series that wouldn't have been a homer anywhere else, was the one Correia hit up into the clouds yesterday. That's it. Juiced ball or not, these guys are hitting BOMBS that even in a dead ball era would have been gone...in ANY stadium. Clearly it's the pitchers being overworked and misused, not any park or ball effect.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

That one-handed Puig dinger yesterday was a weak fly out in every one of the last 35 years of baseball. The look on his face was priceless. "Whoa! You're gonna give me that one? Sweet!" :)

There have been several rigorous studies of the balls this season, but I think this is the shortest and simplest explanation of what we're dealing with.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in ... e-juicing/

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

"The balls in my pants have less juice in them then the balls in this game"

Jose Canseco
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Im no baseball fan but this is fun to watch, except every hit is a home run. Wasnt the regular season a record for HRs hit,. Ball is so juiced.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Im no baseball fan but this is fun to watch, except every hit is a home run. Wasnt the regular season a record for HRs hit,. Ball is so juiced.
If so, then baseball should juice harder than Anita Bryant in the 70s. Non-fans -- like me -- enjoy home runs. It's the baseball equivalent of slam dunks or breakaway goals.

The ONLY time baseball grabbed me since the 1994 strike was at the height of the steroid era, when Bonds, McGwire and Sosa sent balls into orbit around Neptune every night. I know I'm not alone in that blip.

At least this homer surge is caused by a change in equipment, not the use of PEDs. Baseball has found its fiberglass ski, its graphite driver, its carbon-fiber racquet, all without losing the nostalgia and tradition of wooden bats.

Carry on, MLB! Bombs away!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

pk500 wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote:Im no baseball fan but this is fun to watch, except every hit is a home run. Wasnt the regular season a record for HRs hit,. Ball is so juiced.
If so, then baseball should juice harder than Anita Bryant in the 70s. Non-fans -- like me -- enjoy home runs. It's the baseball equivalent of slam dunks or breakaway goals.

The ONLY time baseball grabbed me since the 1994 strike was at the height of the steroid era, when Bonds, McGwire and Sosa sent balls into orbit around Neptune every night. I know I'm not alone in that blip.

At least this homer surge is caused by a change in equipment, not the use of PEDs. Baseball has found its fiberglass ski, its graphite driver, its carbon-fiber racquet, all without losing the nostalgia and tradition of wooden bats.

Carry on, MLB! Bombs away!
Eloquently stated PK!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

How are we so sure that PEDs are not involved?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:How are we so sure that PEDs are not involved?
Maybe they are? I don't give a f*ck.

I only care about baseball for about a week or two every year. So if the bombs are flying out of the park, I'm happy. I don't care by what means since I'm not a baseball purist. Let Rob Manfred police the sport, not me.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

wco81 wrote:How are we so sure that PEDs are not involved?
We aren't "sure", but can you tell me for "sure" that Jose Altuve (7 HR's in playoffs / 24 regular season), Carlos Correa (5 HR's in playoffs / 24 regular season), George Springer (4 HR in Playoffs / 34 regular season) are taking PED's?

None of today's players other than Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton hit 50 or more HR's in the regular season.

Cody Bellinger led the Dodgers with 39 HR's this season. He is 6'4" 210.

None of these players look anything like Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa when they were swatting 60-70+ HR's.

I would bet good money they aren't.