MLB Season 2022. Playball!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2016. Playball!

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:Thanks, guys. Feeling better tonight.

We're a good Jake Arrieta outing away from seeing the city of Cleveland find a sudden, unexpected empathy for the Golden State fans. If the Cubs force a Game 7, Kluber or not, they will be terrified.
Pretty sure they won't be terrified. They are still hungover from June's Cavs party. They'll get over it quick if they lose. Cubs fans on the other hand...

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I've been sitting on the couch watching the highlights of Game 6 for 2.5 hours. I'm neither excited, nor terrified. It's just disoriented to even consider what's happening. What a season!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I wouldn't go to a baseball game in my back yard, but I found myself watching game 6. It's always fun to see a team win a title. Game 7 should be a great game, but it sounds like the Indians starter is lights out. One thing that was very odd was them using Chapman last night. They had a 98% chance of winning. I don't get why they would burn him out like that when they didn't need him.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fletcher21 wrote:I wouldn't go to a baseball game in my back yard, but I found myself watching game 6. It's always fun to see a team win a title. Game 7 should be a great game, but it sounds like the Indians starter is lights out. One thing that was very odd was them using Chapman last night. They had a 98% chance of winning. I don't get why they would burn him out like that when they didn't need him.
The only questionable move was having him pitch the 9th as well. 7th and 8th, I'm cool with.

The scary thing for the Cubs is that they'll have to face Kluber and Miller the entire game. Don't know if Hendricks and maybe Lester has quite the same ring (I'd be afraid of using Chapman that long now), even though Hendricks has been absolute nails this post season.

All that said, the Cubs bats are coming around (except Heyward's, RIP, lol) so it may be very interesting. But I've got Cleveland tonight if I had to bet on it.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:I wouldn't go to a baseball game in my back yard, but I found myself watching game 6. It's always fun to see a team win a title. Game 7 should be a great game, but it sounds like the Indians starter is lights out. One thing that was very odd was them using Chapman last night. They had a 98% chance of winning. I don't get why they would burn him out like that when they didn't need him.
The only questionable move was having him pitch the 9th as well. 7th and 8th, I'm cool with.

The scary thing for the Cubs is that they'll have to face Kluber and Miller the entire game. Don't know if Hendricks and maybe Lester has quite the same ring (I'd be afraid of using Chapman that long now), even though Hendricks has been absolute nails this post season.

All that said, the Cubs bats are coming around (except Heyward's, RIP, lol) so it may be very interesting. But I've got Cleveland tonight if I had to bet on it.

Absolutely agred with DB about Chapman's usage. Maddon admitted that he only sent out him for the 9th because he was caught flatfooted after the Rizzo HR. Strop wasn't warming until after that HR, so he needed Chapman to buy him a hitter to get Strop warm. A rare misfire by Joe, but I'm not going to ride him too hard over it.

I would bet on the Tribe too. Kluber/Miller/Allen haven't shown any hints of being mortal this series. I just have to hope that Kluber's repeated short rest catches up with him and the Cubs have become familiar with his stuff. He wasn't dominant in Game 4, which gives me a faint sliver of hope. If they can get to him and get a lead before seeing the other guys, there will be a window. It's a big ask.

I have never been more emotionally tied up by a sporting event...or anything else, really. Just delighted with the season and the way that they got up off the mat, terrified at the prospect of seeing Kluber and losing tonight, trying to process over 40 years of dreaming about the chance at a World Series title and being this close to it is just overwhelming.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:Maddon admitted that he only sent out him for the 9th because he was caught flatfooted after the Rizzo HR. Strop wasn't warming until after that HR, so he needed Chapman to buy him a hitter to get Strop warm. A rare misfire by Joe, but I'm not going to ride him too hard over it.
That is such a ridiculous statement tho. So now you've got an 9-2 lead instead of 7-2 and that changes the usage of Chapman? He shouldn't be out there in a 5 run game either. If it were 1-3, yes, but otherwise you gotta get his ass out of there because you have another game to win! If it were game 7, sure, run him till his arm falls off.

The good news for you and the rest of the Cubs fans is that you guys are going to be even better in the next couple of years w/ all of the young talent you run out there. Scary to think for the rest of the NL and AL for that matter. Theo has been magnificent. Just an unreal job. The counter to that is Washington. Same situation w/ them 2-3 years ago...great front office moves, young studs coming up, choke after choke after choke in the playoffs. So I suppose it could all turn, but they didn't have Epstein at the helm.

So yeah, you and everyone else will be absolutely crushed tonight if they lose, at least there is hope...and a hell of a lot of talent...to get you through the long winter. It will however be the shortest Cubs winter in a long long time. So chin up. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Epstein's Hall of Fame plaque can be cast tomorrow if the Cubs win tonight. Ending the decades- or century-long jinx of two of baseball's flagship franchises in different decades and, more importantly, in different leagues.

Hello, Cooperstown, my name is Theo ...
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Epstein's Hall of Fame plaque can be cast tomorrow if the Cubs win tonight. Ending the decades- or century-long jinx of two of baseball's flagship franchises in different decades and, more importantly, in different leagues.

Hello, Cooperstown, my name is Theo ...
This Cubs run is waaaaaay more impressive IMO. Those Red Sox teams were tainted w/ the stink of the PED era (I mean, Ortiz, Manny, Schilling were already tabbed, so they were by far one of the dirtiest teams)...so doing it in the era that is supposedly, mostly, kind of clean, is the most impressive part.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Cubs must have had a lot of high-pick prospects in the pipeline by the time Epstein got there?

Or did he get other teams to give him those young players?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

wco81 wrote:Cubs must have had a lot of high-pick prospects in the pipeline by the time Epstein got there?

Or did he get other teams to give him those young players?
Only a few. Baez and Contreras are both Hendry products. They did purposely tank for a few years, which drove some of the less patient fans and media in town absolutely bonkers.

Theo and his crew are just tremendous at evaluating talent, building a system and developing position players. They also got tremendously lucky. Almost all of their early-round picks have panned out, which they have admitted is not something that really happens too often. They haven't developed arms at the same rate, but that's partly by design. They did the inverse of the Mets, relying on the fact that volatility in pitchers, particularly due to health, made it a better bet to pay premium FA prices or flip your own prospects for already-established arms.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Come on Indians! You got this.......just need another gem pitched by Kluber and Cleveland will be the sports capital of 2016. :)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I had a dream last night the Cubs lose in the bottom of the 9th. Hope I'm wrong for all my Cub friends.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:I had a dream last night the Cubs lose in the bottom of the 9th. Hope I'm wrong for all my Cub friends.
I don't! :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:They did the inverse of the Mets, relying on the fact that volatility in pitchers, particularly due to health, made it a better bet to pay premium FA prices or flip your own prospects for already-established arms.
That's what scares me about Atlanta's approach. They are REALLY heavy in prospect pitchers right now. They have to start flipping them into vets or it's gonna be tough.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:They did the inverse of the Mets, relying on the fact that volatility in pitchers, particularly due to health, made it a better bet to pay premium FA prices or flip your own prospects for already-established arms.
That's what scares me about Atlanta's approach. They are REALLY heavy in prospect pitchers right now. They have to start flipping them into vets or it's gonna be tough.
It can certainly work, it's just a higher-risk proposition.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I hope the cubs win, but anyone would be hard pressed to go against kluber. I hope it's a good game and not a blowout. If i had go guess. I'll say 4-1 tribe. In a perfect world the cubs win 1-0 in an epic pitchers duel.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

fletcher21 wrote:I hope the cubs win, but anyone would be hard pressed to go against kluber. I hope it's a good game and not a blowout. If i had go guess. I'll say 4-1 tribe. In a perfect world the cubs win 1-0 in an epic pitchers duel.
You have the score right so far... just the other way around. :)

I want the Indians to win.. but if the Cubs win, I'll also be happy for them and their fans!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

If you were blind and had this game on TV in the background, you could easily believe the cubs were the home team. Cubs fans are spending huge money in Cleveland for this series. It's a shame for the folks who spent thousands of dollars to see their beloved team lose a baseball game. I'm not rich so I guess maybe it's normal, but I would feel sick to my stomach to pay several thousand bucks for a ticket. Add a loss on top of it and that's a s*** sandwich of the highest order.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Wow!

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Oh my...Santa Maria alright. Let the Chapman talks begin...A a neutral fan, it's been a great series with so many twists and turns. With two outs and a man on base, please Maddon, you gotta take him out of the game as in NOW.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

The reaction of the 2 Cubs fans near where the home run ball landed said it all.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Talk about a drama filled game. Tomorrow's headline no matter what the final result is...Chapman out for '17 with arm replacement surgery. Maddon butchered his use.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Congrats Cubs fans. What a game, one of the best I've seen in years. Let the bandwagon ride on...

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Talk about a drama filled game. Tomorrow's headline no matter what the final result is...Chapman out for '17 with arm replacement surgery. Maddon butchered his use.
You rent a player, you get to break him. :) Let his FA suitors worry about his elbow.

Maddon short-circuited, not so much in using him but in not having him on a shorter leash. I was perfectly fine with him pulling Hendricks, although if the ump hadn't been so anxious to provide another pro-robot data point, he wouldn't have needed to.

All that is water under the bridge. He managed a team of near-children, playing under the weight of enormous expectations and an unprecedented historical burden to a 103-win season. Then he guided them through the postseason with a bullpen that was losing parts like an old jalopy and brought them back from a 3-1 World Series deficit.

He can do whatever the hell he wants. :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:You rent a player, you get to break him. :) Let his FA suitors worry about his elbow.
Let's not forget what a wonderful human being Old Chap is.

Congrats buddy. Happy for you guys and the rest of my family who are only minimally invested in the Cubs even tho they live in and around the north side.