MLB Season 2022. Playball!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2016. Playball!

Post by sportdan30 »

Congrats Cub fans! Heck of a season and well deserved. Has to be an awesome feeling and one that'll stay with you all the way until opening day.

2 questions....Will Chicago once and for all forgive Steve Bartman?

Does Heyward really get a cut of the World Series money?

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Congrats Cubs fans! Incredible season and you can now call yourself Champions!

And one hell of a season for the Indians who had to overcome so many injuries!

Definitely a series that will be memorable for many years to come!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:Does Heyward really get a cut of the World Series money?
But he's such a good leader, he pulled all the guys together during the rain delay and motivated them. They told us he did. Worth it! lol

There was a pic on twitter of Heyward celebrating and the caption was "When you did absolutely nothing during your group project and still got an A". Classic.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

While that is absolutely a fair statement regarding his plate appearances, I would totally disagree based on his defensive contributions.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:While that is absolutely a fair statement regarding his plate appearances, I would totally disagree based on his defensive contributions.
He's fantastic in the field and on the basepaths (if he can make it there), but damn, 180+ million for a defensive slap hitter? Eeesh. He's not a SS where the WAR is balanced out at a premium defensive position. I was such a huge fan of Heyward that it's painful to see how bad it's gotten for him. A 1.5 WAR is not gonna get it done for that price.

But again, it just doesn't matter when you get to look up at the championship flag. :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Does Heyward really get a cut of the World Series money?
But he's such a good leader, he pulled all the guys together during the rain delay and motivated them. They told us he did. Worth it! lol

There was a pic on twitter of Heyward celebrating and the caption was "When you did absolutely nothing during your group project and still got an A". Classic.
That's hilarious!

Yeah, he does play good defense. I'll give him that. But maybe not at 23 million dollars a year! Gotta think he'll have a better season next year however.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:While that is absolutely a fair statement regarding his plate appearances, I would totally disagree based on his defensive contributions.
He's fantastic in the field and on the basepaths (if he can make it there), but damn, 180+ million for a defensive slap hitter? Eeesh. He's not a SS where the WAR is balanced out at a premium defensive position. I was such a huge fan of Heyward that it's painful to see how bad it's gotten for him. A 1.5 WAR is not gonna get it done for that price.

But again, it just doesn't matter when you get to look up at the championship flag. :)
I am not trying to say he earned that big money, just that his contributions were more saving runs rather than producing them. I sure as hell hope his bat wakes up next year. I am still in disbelief that they won it all.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Congrats Scoop! Wish Harry had been alive to see it.

I have to think the Cubs will be preseason favorites to win the NL again. Hope the Cardinals make some moves, as it seems they have the resources to do it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Congratulations Cubs fans!

I agree about Heyward... so glad the Cardinals didn't sign him for that money... eek!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Dear Braves,

Thank you for taking Jamie Garcia off our hands. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:Dear Braves,

Thank you for taking Jamie Garcia off our hands. :)
LOL, Cardinal fans hate him, it's hilarious. At least the Braves only gave up a poo poo platter for him. I'd have thought his value was a little higher than a couple fringe 5th starters at best and a AA lifer infielder.

I'm fully expecting him to pitch well the first half of the year, then the Braves trading him at the deadline to a pitching hungry team for the rest of the season.

That said, he'll get injured again I'm sure. Fingers crossed for 2015 Jamie.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
LOL, Cardinal fans hate him, it's hilarious. At least the Braves only gave up a poo poo platter for him. I'd have thought his value was a little higher than a couple fringe 5th starters at best and a AA lifer infielder.

I'm fully expecting him to pitch well the first half of the year, then the Braves trading him at the deadline to a pitching hungry team for the rest of the season.

That said, he'll get injured again I'm sure. Fingers crossed for 2015 Jamie.
Maybe it's me, but he always looks like he could give two shats about actually giving a crap.. LOL

I would have just let him go free.. he will probably get injured on his way to Atlanta. ;)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:Maybe it's me, but he always looks like he could give two shats about actually giving a crap.. LOL

I would have just let him go free.. he will probably get injured on his way to Atlanta. ;)
Well the good news is he's in the final year of his contract, so he HAS to give a crap if he want's another one. LOL.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Well the good news is he's in the final year of his contract, so he HAS to give a crap if he want's another one. LOL.
You have a point there.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Dammit, what a move by the Redsox in acquiring C. Sale. With a solid lefty already in D. Price, I wonder if the Jays will try to make a move of their own. If R. Porcello can replicate the year that he had, they are winning the Eastern division again. In a walk.

As for the Jays, there's interest in Dexter Fowler, and by signing S. Pearce yesterday and P. Morales earlier last month, it's almost sure that E. Encarnacion and J. Bautista will be wearing another uniform next season.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

‪Just learned that one of my former players just got hired as the Director of Baseball Operations for the Los Angeles Angels. Pretty cool.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Mike Rizzo should turn up to work tomorrow to find that they've changed the locks. Rick Hahn absolutely stole his lunch money, his bus fare, his Christmas club account and his PayPal password.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:Mike Rizzo should turn up to work tomorrow to find that they've changed the locks. Rick Hahn absolutely stole his lunch money, his bus fare, his Christmas club account and his PayPal password.
As a Braves fan, it makes me smile. :)

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

As a Nats fan, I have to agree.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Gangrel wrote:As a Nats fan, I have to agree.
Eaton isn't without his strengths, but if they signed him to play CF every day (and move Turner to SS), they're nuts. He's a terrible outfielder, particularly in center.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Cardinals get Fowler, HOORAY!!! Now can we get Justin Turner at 3B? :)

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

RobVarak wrote:
Gangrel wrote:As a Nats fan, I have to agree.
Eaton isn't without his strengths, but if they signed him to play CF every day (and move Turner to SS), they're nuts. He's a terrible outfielder, particularly in center.

I dunno, his WAR is 6.2, but looking online it seemed he played most of last year in RF, so that might be a bit skewed. However his range factor and other numbers look good. It will allow Turner to play SS which is his natural spot, so that's another plus.

I guess it's a total "win now" move for the team though to get rid of all those prospects for him. I hope it pans out. Stone Cold Harper didn't help at the end of the end of the year, and I think Espinosa was near the Mendoza line, so I suppose anything that injects a spark into the batting lineup is good.

I just wonder what the team will look like in 5 years. Though they have completely shed the old Expos "sell high, bring in the prospects" mentality for a "sell the prospects and get the big guys" one. Crazy.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Gangrel wrote: I just wonder what the team will look like in 5 years. Though they have completely shed the old Expos "sell high, bring in the prospects" mentality for a "sell the prospects and get the big guys" one. Crazy.
You don't hire Dusty if you give a damn what your team will look like in 5 years. He's never been interested in developing players, which is perversely one of the reasons that the Eaton deal does make sense. You don't want Dusty within a country mile of a SP prospect like Giolito.

In 5 years Harper will be a Yankee, so Rizzo is correct in identifying their window at least.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I'll miss you Edwin Encarnacion. Something obviously didn't add up with upper management as the numbers being thrown around were pretty similar to what Edwin signed in CLE. Indians are looking very good in the AL to challenge Bosox for top spot.

Three year deal worth 60 million.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2017. Playball!

Post by 10spro »

Not many Baseball fans on this board I don't believe, so I just edited the season year to 2017.

Jays start tomorrow their season on the road vs the O's. I believe they have a strong rotation this year, if they stay healthy they have one of the better arms in the league. Problem last year was the bullpen and their inconsistent offence. They lost some pop in E. Encarnacion who went to CLE but with the addition of Pearce and Morales, they are a more balanced team in my opinion.

They won't have as many homers as the past two seasons but they got enough guys that can run the bases. I believe BOS is still the team to beat in their strong division and if they can get Osuna healthy soon, they may close games more efficiently.

Season 17 started today, with an impressive couple of homers with Madison Bumgarner, first pitcher to do so in a home opener although they blew up their lead late in the game.