MLB Season 2022. Playball!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

MLB Season 2022. Playball!

Post by 10spro »

With spring training underway, news that Jose Bautista wanted a minimum five year contract extension worth about $150 big ones is creating already all kind of distractions in Dunedin where the Jays train. After letting D. Price literally walk out of the club, the transition for the new GM along Shapiro hasn't been the smoothest to say the least.

But here is where I think Jose' days with the Jays uniform won't go beyond this year. As well as you have played over the years, why make it public that you won't take a home discount extension? Of course he denies those numbers are accurate, but nearing 36 years old, no team is going to pay you 30 million per.

You could say that as long as the Yankees, Dodgers are around never say never I guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if things don't go well, by July he maybe wearing a different uniform.

And let's not forget that E. Encarnation is also on his final year and will be asking for a decent extension as well.

But the way Jose came out swinging to the media yesterday saying that he doesn't want to be a distraction with his contract, he may have just done the opposite.
Last edited by 10spro on Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2016. Playball!

Post by pigpen81 »

Bring on spring training games on MLB.TV!!!!!!!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Josy is out of his mind if he thinks he's getting that much cake. Ridiculous. I would just let him walk...seriously.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

My wife and I are vacationing to NY on April and she got us Mets opening day tickets as a Valentine's day gift, good tickets too, just right of the Mets dugout. I was so happy I almost cried like a little girl. Can't f***in wait! :D

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Many "what-ifs" for the Cardinals this season. Hopefully they don't mimic the Blues with all those injuries. :)
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm going to be watching more Braves minor league games than the MLB team I'm sure. Gotta see that ridiculously stocked farm system in action.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Excited and terrified about the Cubs season. The expectations are so high that I can't even imagine the horrible way those dreams will be crushed.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jays open their season with a win vs the Rays as M. Stroman pitches 8 1/2 strong innings beating M. Archer who also had a strong day for the home team. Both teams will be fighting for the top spot in this division, while the Bosox will be in the mix this year as well.

Watch out for that offense if Jays can stay healthy.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Hellickson throws 6 great 3 hit innings for the Phils only to have the pen blow it. David Henderson is puss. Classic opening day for the Phils. Strong showing only to be disappointed in the end.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I was a Dodgers fan as a little kid (when the gas stations all gave out the Dodgers cups--I remember having this Pedro Guerrero cup that I absolutely loved), and with my new-ish love of MLB The Show (and my brother's love of the SF Giants), it got me to wanting to watch opening day and see some Dodger baseball. Sat down, turned on ESPN, and...BLACKED OUT!

WHAT THE #$%!?

So apparently this whole Time Warner SportsNet LA that nobody in California can get is the only provider for Dodger games? And the Dodgers "own" local rights to my area in Central California, but the exclusive cable provider they use isn't even up here? So I have no way to see a Dodger game live (MLB.TV even blacks it out), and no way to see the Giants or any other team play because those aren't even on.

I've never in my life seen a team so desperately try to run off its fans (even very casual fans). They're making it really hard to care about them if you can't see them, and due to where I'm at, I can't see any other California team play, either.

Bizarre.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:I was a Dodgers fan as a little kid (when the gas stations all gave out the Dodgers cups--I remember having this Pedro Guerrero cup that I absolutely loved), and with my new-ish love of MLB The Show (and my brother's love of the SF Giants), it got me to wanting to watch opening day and see some Dodger baseball. Sat down, turned on ESPN, and...BLACKED OUT!

WHAT THE #$%!?

So apparently this whole Time Warner SportsNet LA that nobody in California can get is the only provider for Dodger games? And the Dodgers "own" local rights to my area in Central California, but the exclusive cable provider they use isn't even up here? So I have no way to see a Dodger game live (MLB.TV even blacks it out), and no way to see the Giants or any other team play because those aren't even on.

I've never in my life seen a team so desperately try to run off its fans (even very casual fans). They're making it really hard to care about them if you can't see them, and due to where I'm at, I can't see any other California team play, either.

Bizarre.
Welcome to Dodger-fan-dom. Got a lot of pissed off friends around these parts, and it's only pushed them away from baseball. It's really crazy how the Dodgers thought it was a good idea to be one cable provider only. It's what the Lakers did a few years back w/ Time Warner and then after about 10 games they recanted and went to the other providers as well.

Just another reason I hate the Dodgers. Shitty stadium, shitty parking, shitty ownership, underachieving w/ a GIANT payroll and a nice cable deal. No thanks. I'll go to San Diego and Arizona to see the Braves this year. Unless the wife gets her free tickets, then whatever, I'll deal. Haha.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:Hellickson throws 6 great 3 hit innings for the Phils only to have the pen blow it. David Henderson is puss. Classic opening day for the Phils. Strong showing only to be disappointed in the end.
Sounds like the Braves/Nats game. Gonna be a long year for the Phils and the Braves at the bottom of the NL East unfortunately.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Looking forward to the early season Cards/Cubs series that starts tonight. I still don't understand why these two teams aren't scheduled on the weekend.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

sportdan30 wrote:Looking forward to the early season Cards/Cubs series that starts tonight. I still don't understand why these two teams aren't scheduled on the weekend.
The game sells out regardless, so it actually makes sense financially to avoid weekend series with the Cubs. They surely won't ask for extra weekend series.

But this series has turned into a bummer. It's awfully early, but the team is looking like a .500 club that will be fun to watch for stretches, but won't be able to consistently beat the better teams. But the pitching is starting to settle in, so if some guys like Diaz and Hazelbaker have those totally unpredictable fantastic seasons, they could be really good. But that is depending on a lot from players you had no expectations from going into the season.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

It's been said before but now I'm starting to really believe that Jake Arrieta is super human. "Locked In" is almost an understatement at this point.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The bad blood between the Jays and Rangers started all the way back in October last year when Bautista dramatically hit a 3 run homer and coolly flipped his bat out. All the emotions were clearly displayed in the rubber match today as R. Odor got into a shoving/punch incident with Bautista in a game that involved 8 ejections.

The young season has been up and down for TOR, they haven't displayed all their offensive power as they did late last season and have been playing .500 baseball. The starting pitchers have been fine, but the supposedly better bullpen is anything but.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

10spro wrote:The bad blood between the Jays and Rangers started all the way back in October last year when Bautista dramatically hit a 3 run homer and coolly flipped his bat out. All the emotions were clearly displayed in the rubber match today as R. Odor got into a shoving/punch incident with Bautista in a game that involved 8 ejections.

The young season has been up and down for TOR, they haven't displayed all their offensive power as they did late last season and have been playing .500 baseball. The starting pitchers have been fine, but the supposedly better bullpen is anything but.
That was a hell of a punch by Odor. You don't usually see a player connect solid to the face like that.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It really kills me to watch Jason Heyward struggle like he is AGAIN. No more frustrating player in all of baseball IMO...Cubs fans have to be a little worried about that contract now. It's become very clear why the Braves brass didn't think he was going to be worth the 100+ million he was expected to (and WAY exceeded) get.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It really kills me to watch Jason Heyward struggle like he is AGAIN. No more frustrating player in all of baseball IMO...Cubs fans have to be a little worried about that contract now. It's become very clear why the Braves brass didn't think he was going to be worth the 100+ million he was expected to (and WAY exceeded) get.
Defensively he is paying off. But yeah - he's not that far behind Soler in terms of team members that remind me how much of a bummer it was to lose Schwarber for the season.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Alex Reyes is fun to watch.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jays are on a downward spiral. Not long ago they were top of a very tough division in a rather inconsistent season but looks like the rotation is heading downhill. Fast.

Estrada has been struggling for more than a month, their most consistent pitcher of the season, J. Happ hasn't won in almost a month while Stroman and Dickey have struggled since June.

They don't want to overuse young M. Sanchez and Liriano has been a disappointment since the trade deadline. The bullpen is a hit and miss, more the latter, and to make matters worse their MVP J. Donaldson is having an MRI to see what's been bugging him lately. Not looking good.

Yankees are still in the mix, while Jays with another embarrassing loss to the bottom feeders of the division Rays, are now a couple of games behind Bosox.

They are barely hanging for a wildcard spot and if the rotation doesn't pick it for the rest of the month, they could miss the playoffs.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

RIP Jose Fernandez. Killed in a boating accident. Gutwrenching news.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:RIP Jose Fernandez. Killed in a boating accident. Gutwrenching news.
Terrible news.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm still in shock.. :(

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

What an AMAZING moment. The Cardinals activated Holliday for the game tonight.. he comes up for what could be his last at bat in a Cardinal uniform, tears in his eyes and hits his first pinch hit HR of his career!

Had me teared up as well...