Rocket League League interest?!!!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Rocket League League interest?!!!

Post by TCrouch »

Wait...there are multiple cameras? :lol:

I have no doubt some poor league saps will be saddled with my noobishness at the start, but I promise I won't stay horrible for long. Pick me, pick me!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Multiple cameras? Cool!

Is 3 v 3 the most popular format online? I've played nothing but 4 v 4.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Yeah, 3 vs 3 is standard, and seems to be the best fit for most arenas.

4x4 is actually pretty cluttered. It can be fun, but it IS a lot more chaotic than the other modes for sure. (4x4 mode is named chaos)

Make the Ball Cam your friend!!! :)

One other tip:

If you want to get your feet wet playing the ranked modes, Solo Standard is actually a 3x3 mode that doesn't allow pre-game parties or groups from joining together. If you are not going in with folks you know, I recommend that over ranked Standard, where you may find yourself grouped with Randoms against a team who has been playing together.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

RobVarak wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Geeze, I barely even get a goal. I'm usually the idiot zooming around BARELY missing the ball in every interaction. Game is so fun, but I suck so badly.
I thought I was getting reasonably ok playing with randoms. Then I jumped on with G7 and Web and I looked like a puppy chasing my tail. :)

I can score here and there and I can contribute on offense, but defense is a freaking nightmare for me. Those crazy slow, high bouncing shots just give me fits.
To be fair, Web makes a *lot* of folks, me included, feel like they're chasing their tails :P

And Rob, I recorded your stylistic fly-by goal for all to enjoy the view I had :lol:

Web, thanks for the graphical tips. Like I said yesterday, the game really shines in the way misses and recovery positions are handled by a well organized team. If you miss along the sides of the arena, you'd better have a backup and you'd better cycle back to recover behind defender 2 or 3, depending on circumstances. All of that while taking in boosts and trying to pounce on scoring chances is magic in the game.

And then you start to develop an aerial game and the game just gets better and better.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Thanks for that diagram. I was definitely doing a lot of that with you guys last night, just trying to read the spacing on the field and fill in where it made sense.

As I said, this game is just such a classic case of "5 minutes to learn 5 months to master" game design. It's brilliant.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Played for 2+ hours last night. Fun game.

The biggest thing i need to work on is judging the ball while it is in the air. any tips for that?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Sudz wrote:Played for 2+ hours last night. Fun game.

The biggest thing i need to work on is judging the ball while it is in the air. any tips for that?
Judging the ball to line it up for a hit or just get yourself in the right position to play it on offense or defense is one of the hardest things to grasp, IMO, and most of it comes with practice and play time. If you want to work on your aerial control, I do suggest hitting up the training modes. But really, most of it comes with experience.

And if you haven't tried playing with the 'other' camera, give that a shot. You may find you can judge things better in one view than the other.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

RobVarak wrote:Thanks for that diagram. I was definitely doing a lot of that with you guys last night, just trying to read the spacing on the field and fill in where it made sense.

As I said, this game is just such a classic case of "5 minutes to learn 5 months to master" game design. It's brilliant.
Yeah, for someone new to the game, you picked up the spacing great! Again, an appreciation of the needs of real-life hockey/soccer helps to recognize that, and I know you have that knowledge.