Perfect Golf (PC)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Perfect Golf (PC)

Post by Rodster »

So what do you guys think about this game now that it's been out for awhile? Is the putting as frustrating as TGC2?

The graphics look on par with TGC2.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:So what do you guys think about this game now that it's been out for awhile? Is the putting as frustrating as TGC2?

Supposedly its solid...plus PG2 is in development. I think some news is coming in the early new year. I’m considering getting it because I can use it with my SkyTrak simulator.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware about PG2. I'll look forward to that, any guess on a release date?

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:So what do you guys think about this game now that it's been out for awhile? Is the putting as frustrating as TGC2?

Honestly, PG runs like a dog compared to TGC2. Have not played PG since TGC2 Beta.

I can’t think of anything about PG that I like better than TGC2.

Would not get too excited about PG2.....it may not come out for quite a while. The Dev Team is a fraction of the size of TGC2, and they don’t seem to be in a hurry getting the game out and PG is not what they make money at.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks guys !

Based on Divot's info I think i'll hold off on JNPG and won't get too excited over JNPG2. I find that TGC2 runs really smooth on my PC on default settings and looks damn good even for a gaming rig that's going on 5 years this coming April.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

The only reason I have even been considering it is because its a cheaper alternative than TGC for my simulator.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I've been playing since it was in closed beta. IMO, it was the best thing we had until TGC 2 came along. I find its putting a little more frustrating than TGC 2's because the animations aren't as smooth, and it's really hard to gauge the putt strength needed for a sub 4 foot putt.

I think the graphics of TGC 2 are better, overall. JNPG's rough graphics are really pretty ugly... looks like late 90's bitmaps. The golfer animations really look primitive and aren't nearly as smooth as those of TGC 2. That's what compels me to play TGC 2 over JNPG more than anything else.

JNPG as great multiplayer support and a plethora of game modes. It's controller swing interface offers a reasonable challenge in Tour Pro difficulty. If it wasn't for the last gen animation quality, it would probably be my go to game. Perfect Golf 2 is in the works and will feature updated mo-capped animations, the use of nVidia's Turf Effects graphics technology for 3-D rough, and will capitalize on Direct X 12's advantages. The player base is dropping off sharply here of late because of the lull in communications from Perfect Parallel. I'd wait until the new game comes out before I'd pick this one up. It looks and feels like a 12 year old game right now.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:

I've been playing since it was in closed beta. IMO, it was the best thing we had until TGC 2 came along. I find its putting a little more frustrating than TGC 2's because the animations aren't as smooth, and it's really hard to gauge the putt strength needed for a sub 4 foot putt.

I think the graphics of TGC 2 are better, overall. JNPG's rough graphics are really pretty ugly... looks like late 90's bitmaps. The golfer animations really look primitive and aren't nearly as smooth as those of TGC 2. That's what compels me to play TGC 2 over JNPG more than anything else.

JNPG as great multiplayer support and a plethora of game modes. It's controller swing interface offers a reasonable challenge in Tour Pro difficulty. If it wasn't for the last gen animation quality, it would probably be my go to game. Perfect Golf 2 is in the works and will feature updated mo-capped animations, the use of nVidia's Turf Effects graphics technology for 3-D rough, and will capitalize on Direct X 12's advantages. The player base is dropping off sharply here of late because of the lull in communications from Perfect Parallel. I'd wait until the new game comes out before I'd pick this one up. It looks and feels like a 12 year old game right now.
Well, thanks for the detailed update on JNPG and today I fired up TGC2 on my PC and was enjoying playing a round of golf. Then I decided to play another course and rage quit when I was chipping towards the cup and the ball couldn't make it up the hill and rolled back down past where I started the shot. After three attempts and getting the same results except I was now further away from the cup, I rage quit.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:Then I decided to play another course and rage quit when I was chipping towards the cup and the ball couldn't make it up the hill and rolled back down past where I started the shot. After three attempts and getting the same results except I was now further away from the cup, I rage quit.
That's one or two things responsible for that:

1.) Poor course design... putting the pin on a slope that's outside of USGA limit
2.) A pin that meets slope requirements, but a green firmness and speed that enables physics that are not of this earth. There are too many courses that use firm and fast green combos, that feature pin placements and/or green slopes that turn the courses into carnivals. I avoid firm/fast greens unless I know the designer's ability to build the course to suit them properly.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Damn I should rage quit more often in TGC2. I shot my very 1st ever hole in one on the very next hole. :)

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:Damn I should rage quit more often in TGC2. I shot my very 1st ever hole in one on the very next hole. :)
There you go..congratulations!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Picked this one up today because I plan on using it with my SkyTrak golf simulator. I currently have TGC as my course sim but the lease (which is expensive) is due up in about a week. Perfect Golf is less than half of what TGC is for my sim. I like what I see from the game so far. I haven’t used it on my sim but just playing it on my laptop has been fun. Ill be using it pretty much exclusively on my simulator as soon as I get the subscription.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

According to the Perfect Golf forums, Trackman has purchased Perfect Golf.

http://www.perfectparallel.com/topic/98 ... -on/page-8

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

DivotMaker wrote:According to the Perfect Golf forums, Trackman has purchased Perfect Golf.

I want info! I am not familiar with Trackman. This should get interesting.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Diablo25 wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:According to the Perfect Golf forums, Trackman has purchased Perfect Golf.

You know what I know at this time.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote:

Trackman systems are all over the place, most professionals and club fitter use them. The more expensive systems will monitor everything form spin, launch speed and smash factor. You can get cheaper hand held ones as well.

A friend of mine just bought one of their top of the line systems for $25,000 and converted his garage, of course his kid will be in the PGA in about 6 or 7 years. Kids a Junior has 9 offers to play golf at good schools. Played in the US Am last year at 16, the one Tony Romo backed out of I think. He ended up going to the match play thing.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I have a SkyTrak with Perfect Golf as my sim software. I really like it. I used The Golf Club over the past year as my sim software but its super expensive to ‘lease’ for a year. Perfect golf was less than half of what TGC is. Here is a link to me smacking it around a bit at TPC Scottsdale.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/225676526
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote:I have a SkyTrak with Perfect Golf as my sim software. I really like it. I used The Golf Club over the past year as my sim software but its super expensive to ‘lease’ for a year. Perfect golf was less than half of what TGC is. Here is a link to me smacking it around a bit at TPC Scottsdale.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/225676526
That's cool, Slytrak is just one of the Trackman alternatives I believe. Trackman I think is who the PGA has a deal with. This stuff gets confusing because there is so much new stuff on the market but I'm friends with 5 PGA Professionals and pretty much a gym rat at Club Champion fitters and they all use this system. It's what I hit on when trying out new clubs and buying clubs. Just got my new set of irons by hitting on one.

I wish I had the space to set up one myself but I can't clear out the 3rd garage at this point.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Here it is almost three years after the announced release date, and FINALLY we see the next incarnation of Perfect Golf, using NVIDIA's Turf Effects for 3-D rough and HDR graphics - Virtual Golf 2. The only problem is you have to have a Trackman 4 launch simulator to play it :o It really looks better than I imagined it would. Check out the first gameplay video I've seen of it in action. The guy is playing approach shots on the practice course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Behind the scenes, the creators of Perfect Golf and Virtual Golf 2 are pushing for a PC version release, with possible console releases to follow. Not much to go on at this point, but it seams to be a shame to have course graphics that were created with Unity on a PC, playing before such a small, limited audience!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Here's something closer to complete tee to green play (the golfer has auto-putt enabled) at Silverleaf Golf Club. The desert mountain backdrop is easily the best looking I've ever seen in ANY golf game or simulation! I questioned the poster and he says he's only interesting in ball striking and that's why he has it in auto-putt. I'd love to see how the full putting experience goes with this though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzkPwto9xxs

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Hey John,

If the same PG2 simulator version were to be released on PC for mouse and controller users would you be playing it as much as you currently do with TGC2019?

I don’t play PG1 mainly due to the slight lag in the golfer animation and the putting. :(

-MERACE

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

MERACE wrote:Hey John,

If the same PG2 simulator version were to be released on PC for mouse and controller users would you be playing it as much as you currently do with TGC2019?

I don’t play PG1 mainly due to the slight lag in the golfer animation and the putting. :(
It's hard to say. I know I strongly preferred PG1 to TGC1, but the mo-capped golfers in TGC 2 put it ahead of PG1. If PG2 was to have a mo-capped golfer of at least the caliber of those of TGC 2019, I'd probably spend the majority of my time playing it.

It's not only the lag between the golfer animation and putting in PG1 that I have a problem with, it's almost as bad as the lag for full swings. What's weird though is I can regulate a partial shot with greater control in PG1, but I'm relying on muscle memory to do it. I like being able to watch my golfer's animation and gauge my swing off it, and that's where PG1 falls short for me.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Here's a link to a You Tube video of a Trackman 4/Virtual Golf 2 full round at Sweetens Cove. It's rendered smoothly in 1080p, although for the first time in the Virtual Golf 2 videos and images I've seen thus far, the difference isn't as obvious in this one. The 3D rough doesn't really show the advantages of Turf Effects, but it might be down to the late evening lighting used and the lack of a much light rough at this course. The panorama looks really nice as does the sky dome. The winds are pretty much still so there's nothing to see in terms of sashaying tree foliage in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_gxJpqofpU

What impressed me most about this video is how quickly the ball's flight is depicted on the screen on full shots. There's almost no delay between the impact of the ball on the screen and the animation depicting the ball flight starting. This guy also gives us the first look at the "Broadcast Camera" perspective on the cut views, and I really liked it, although I'd prefer to have cut views that were more reverse than side angle. None the less, I strongly prefer the Broadcast view shown here to Follow Cam, which I shied away from in the early Tiger Woods PGA Tour series years.

Finally, I thought the putting looked pretty decent. The player in the video had some very believable results with his 10 to 20 foot putts he hit. There was a bout a two second delay between the putt strike and the ball rolling on the green, but the path an behavior looked consistent with the strike. It's just a shame that Virtual Golf 2 software is playing to such a small audience, when there are so many other monitors, devices, and even gaming computers and consoles that could support it.