Perfect Golf (PC)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Perfect Golf (PC)

Post by Naples39 »

I know there's been some discussion of this game buried in the Rory McIlroy thread, but I thought I'd break it out.

I saw a recent update to this game added official controller support. I haven't tried it yet, but I realize I'd rather play with a controller than mouse swing these days. Anybody try it?

I guess the course designer is still not fully released, but once this game gets decent controller support and a stream of community courses, I could be very satisfied with this one.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Perfect Golf (PC)

Post by TCrouch »

I'll try it this evening. I liked it with the tempo-based mouse swing, but if the controller works, that'd be awesome.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, I'll give it a shot too...been a while since I fired it up.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

The current controller support is in a limited form and uses the 3 click meter instead of the golfer animation. I'm waiting for FULL controller support tied to the animation which should be coming soon in a future update.

-MERACE

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I guess that helps, I couldn't figure out how to make it motion controlled. I could only use tri click, which still wasn't bad.

But I was doing SOME method of making it move, because I'd hold A and then move the right stick (thanks to the paddle buttons on the Elite controller), and it would move the meter, but then it would do some weird hitch and knock the ball about 5 feet. Couldn't figure it out on about 10 tries, so I gave up.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'll have to try this. I know the golfer animation isn't in the game yet, but my understanding was that it was still an analogue stick swing.

This was the patch notes:
This release introduces controller support for all facets of the game. We still need to tie in the controller swing into the animation as we plan to do with the motion swing once the new animations are in. But the whole game can be played on the controller from setting up the game in the UI to playing it.

The controller can be selected under the Settings Input Tab.

When this is selected the Controller Swing becomes available in the list of devices in game settings.

To use the controller swing pull back on the stick and wait for the power to increase to your desired level. Let go of the stick, then when the meter gets back to the snap area push it forward again. The net direction of the movement will determine the direction of the ball and the accuracy of the snap will affect the center hit and power realised.
The wording is a little weird, but it sounds like more than just a controller-side 3-click.

They say the animations will come in on the next patch, but I thought that was purely a visual thing and not actually changing the control mechanics in any way.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I just spent some time on the range with the controller motion swing. It's a little bit of a hybrid between analogue stick and 3-click. You hold down on the stick as the meter charges, release the stick at the desired power, then throw the stick up as the meter comes back down.

It felt kinda easy, but maybe it's all that TW I've played on console. I was beginning to fade them as I took more swings, and I didn't actually play any holes yet.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Been hearing about a shitstorm on the PP forums that they are going to charge $4.99/month subscription fee for users to play user-made courses.....in the form of a Season Pass....doesn't sound like it is going over too well with the natives.....

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

DivotMaker wrote:Been hearing about a shitstorm on the PP forums that they are going to charge $4.99/month subscription fee for users to play user-made courses.....in the form of a Season Pass....doesn't sound like it is going over too well with the natives.....
WTF. :x

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Hi Guys.

How is this game? My father bought The Golf Club a couple of days ago and doesn't care for it as he prefers having 3 clicks and a meter.. I'm thinking about getting this for him. I understand it has a 3 click swing as an option.. I think he will like that better.

Thanks for any feedback.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

FifaInspected wrote:Hi Guys.

How is this game? My father bought The Golf Club a couple of days ago and doesn't care for it as he prefers having 3 clicks and a meter.. I'm thinking about getting this for him. I understand it has a 3 click swing as an option.. I think he will like that better.

Thanks for any feedback.
It is PC only until they release a console version and its anyone's guess when that will be.....

PG has 3-click and I hear it is pretty challenging. It is still in Early Access. I hear it is not as nice visually as TGC and RM.....

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Thanks Divot!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf (PC)

Post by DivotMaker »

http://www.nicklaus.com/news/jack-nickl ... uter-game/

Perfect Golf is now Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf officially released today from Steam Early Access.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I also read that it's coming to console.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Buddy of mine does the PR stuff for this game, and getting that Nicklaus license is pretty big--gets access to all the Nicklaus Design courses, which is pretty massive.

The controller support in this latest update is much improved, as well. I had a hell of a time figuring out pace on putts, but it's a good time. I've always preferred this to TGC, but to each his own!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

TCrouch wrote:Buddy of mine does the PR stuff for this game, and getting that Nicklaus license is pretty big--gets access to all the Nicklaus Design courses, which is pretty massive.

The controller support in this latest update is much improved, as well. I had a hell of a time figuring out pace on putts, but it's a good time. I've always preferred this to TGC, but to each his own!
I was playing a bit of this yesterday as well with a controller. Took me about 10 holes to figure out that simplified putting means it automatically dials in the distance, and you use the same power swing for all distance putts unless you want to compensate for elevation.

I haven't tried the other putting mode.

Otherwise the game felt pretty good!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:Buddy of mine does the PR stuff for this game, and getting that Nicklaus license is pretty big--gets access to all the Nicklaus Design courses, which is pretty massive.

TGC is a very good game of Golf, but the lack of any challenge in the swing mechanic to execute shots leaves me looking for more. I have that now in JNPG. SO FAR, in my 50 hours of gameplay in the last month, I find Pro and TOUR Pro to be the most challenging swing interfaces I have played on ANY PC or console Golf game.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Naples39 wrote:

I was playing a bit of this yesterday as well with a controller. Took me about 10 holes to figure out that simplified putting means it automatically dials in the distance, and you use the same power swing for all distance putts unless you want to compensate for elevation.

Not sure what you mean by "simplified putting" automatically dialing in the distance. I have found that to be the exact opposite. What difficulty are you playing on? I am playing TOUR Pro.....

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I really liked the old mouse swing mechanic, as it simulated a golf swing a lot better to me than most. Rather than relying on a perfectly straight swing, it was tempo. Get your backswing-to-downswing ratio screwed up too fast, and you'll pull it. Get it too slow and you'd push it. It was tough to nail that perfectly every time, so it created some variation in shots without going nuts.

When they first added controller support I tried it and thought it was abysmal. Yesterday was a good experience with it, though. Second camera (the lower one) for putting was money for me. On the default I had no feel for putter distance or pace on the follow through. I'd laser a 5 foot putt 15 feet past the hole. Once I switched to that other camera on putts, I was at least in the ballpark.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:I really liked the old mouse swing mechanic, as it simulated a golf swing a lot better to me than most. Rather than relying on a perfectly straight swing, it was tempo. Get your backswing-to-downswing ratio screwed up too fast, and you'll pull it. Get it too slow and you'd push it. It was tough to nail that perfectly every time, so it created some variation in shots without going nuts.

When they first added controller support I tried it and thought it was abysmal. Yesterday was a good experience with it, though. Second camera (the lower one) for putting was money for me. On the default I had no feel for putter distance or pace on the follow through. I'd laser a 5 foot putt 15 feet past the hole. Once I switched to that other camera on putts, I was at least in the ballpark.
Ditto.... :wink:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Naples39 wrote:I was playing a bit of this yesterday as well with a controller. Took me about 10 holes to figure out that simplified putting means it automatically dials in the distance, and you use the same power swing for all distance putts unless you want to compensate for elevation.

If you've got simplified putting enabled, you're taking a lot of the challenge out of the game. I understand it only works with the swing meter. Are you using the mouse of the controller to 3-click when you do this? The unassisted Real Time Swing Controller interface gives you ZERO help in zoning in on a distance. It's all up to you to regulate the putt stroke power and distance. It can be very trying, but I quite frankly love the challenge of it.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

TCrouch wrote:When they first added controller support I tried it and thought it was abysmal. Yesterday was a good experience with it, though. Second camera (the lower one) for putting was money for me. On the default I had no feel for putter distance or pace on the follow through. I'd laser a 5 foot putt 15 feet past the hole. Once I switched to that other camera on putts, I was at least in the ballpark.
Are you a left or a right thumbstick swinger? I ask because if you're a left stick swinger like me, you'll find that when you shift control from the default, right stick to the left via the game's setting menu, the tuning of the right stick will not follow it, and you'll have free-cam stick sensitivity settings that will make it impossible to have a reasonable degree of control over your shot. I use an XBox One Elite controller in which I've remapped the right stick to the left and vice versa. In the game's settings, I'm set to "Controller Handedness/Right", but in execution, I'm using the left thumbstick to swing the club. The variance of controller tracking is what it should be for the swing with this approach and it feels fantastic in the game!

I've been pleading with the devs to get this squared away so that when controller handedness is changed in the game's settings, the proper stick tuning follows, but they haven't gotten around to it yet. Apparently the left stick swingers are in such a minority that it doesn't warrant attention at this time. It will put unaware left stick swingers off though until they do.

Otherwise though, this is the best golf game I've ever played... by far! And I love the camera and presentation options!!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
Naples39 wrote:I was playing a bit of this yesterday as well with a controller. Took me about 10 holes to figure out that simplified putting means it automatically dials in the distance, and you use the same power swing for all distance putts unless you want to compensate for elevation.

If you've got simplified putting enabled, you're taking a lot of the challenge out of the game. I understand it only works with the swing meter. Are you using the mouse of the controller to 3-click when you do this? The unassisted Real Time Swing Controller interface gives you ZERO help in zoning in on a distance. It's all up to you to regulate the putt stroke power and distance. It can be very trying, but I quite frankly love the challenge of it.
I just fired up the game for the first in weeks and that's where it was set. I was playing real time controller swing.

When putting it would say something like "Putting (Simplified)", and I think in the settings "Easy Putting" was on. There was no swing meter for me, so it was watch the backswing only. My putt lengths were all over the place until I started using the same stroke motion/power no matter the distance of the putt (unless, as I said, adjusting for elevation).

I'm still experimenting with settings though!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

J_Cauthen wrote:Are you a left or a right thumbstick swinger?
Right stick, and I think you're right on the money with the simplified putting removing the challenge. I had it on by accident the first round and could drain almost everything. Then I turned it off and a 5 footer became terrifying.

Not surprising if the controller handedness doesn't "stick", though. I'm a lefty golfer and that still isn't represented in the game, either. The UI has some quirks for sure, and it took me a good 20 holes or so to figure out their wonky aiming mechanic and how to get an aim stick on the fly by and pause it, etc.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:Are you a left or a right thumbstick swinger?
Right stick, and I think you're right on the money with the simplified putting removing the challenge. I had it on by accident the first round and could drain almost everything. Then I turned it off and a 5 footer became terrifying.

Not surprising if the controller handedness doesn't "stick", though. I'm a lefty golfer and that still isn't represented in the game, either. The UI has some quirks for sure, and it took me a good 20 holes or so to figure out their wonky aiming mechanic and how to get an aim stick on the fly by and pause it, etc.
They are working on Lefty Golfers as we speak....took me a while to get my hands around the interface and the "overswing" component, but now it plays great....