Battlefield: Hardline Beta

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Battlefield: Hardline Beta

Post by Teal »

Holy mother of monkey milk...Hotwire is fun as hell! Anyone get a chance to toss this one around yet?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Battlefield: Hardline Beta

Post by Naples39 »

I briefly tried the old beta last summer. It definitely felt like a mod to BF4 and not much more. I understand EA took that criticism pretty seriously so maybe I'll check this out.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

There are three modes in the beta-Heist, Hotwire, and Conquest. Conquest is...well, conquest. It's Battlefield. Heist is like a mix between conquest and rush, in that you must either break into a vault or protect a vault. Once that vault is broken, the thieves steal the money, and take it to one of three drop points. The cops have to kill the perp with the money bag before it's offloaded onto a chopper, then protect the stash until it's placed back into the vault. So it's really like conquest, rush, and capture the flag all rolled into one. It's fun enough.

But Hotwire is an absolute blast. Take Conquest, and make the Conquest points cars, trucks, or vans that you must 'hotwire' to capture. BUT you only have it captured as long as you're in motion...if you slow down or stop, you stop your scoring. Guys can jump in the van with you, and man the passenger seat, side doors, and back doors, while others, in non capture point sedans, try to stop you and take the vehicle. They can do this by killing you...or by blowing up the car, which resets the capture point and opens it up. It's high tension, high speed awesomeness. As a passenger, you can click the left stick to lean out of the car and fire 360 degrees. There are also police helicopters you can man to take down vehicles. It's a blast.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thank God for betas. EA just saved me $60. This game is underwhelming, to say the least.

First, the Xbox One beta is buggy as hell. I was respawned multiple times 50 feet behind where I just moved for no reason, with no foes anywhere in sight and no bullets flying. I also pumped multiple clips of lead into foes, and they never dropped.

But when it did work, this game sucked. Conquest was BF4-style Conquest with a new location and a few new weapons. Big whoop. Heist was basically Conquest or Rush, as Teal said, with more speed. BFD. And Hotwire was a frantic mess, perfect for the Red Bull-addled crowd that inhales new Call of Duty games like Skittles.

This game is about as tactical as kids amped up on cupcakes playing musical chairs at a 5-year-old's birthday party. And the graphics are no better than BF4 on the XB1, which was a port of the Xbox 360 version with a bit more polish. Far from cutting-edge, current-gen graphics.

BF: Hardline is a cash grab by EA, trying to get gamers to suck on the teat of the franchise until BF5 is ready. Sorry, I'm not thirsty for milk.

I was hoping for something similar to the classic SWAT games for the PC from about 10 years ago. Instead, this beta plays like Call of Duty Hardline or Battlefield: Cops at 78 RPM.

My only regret is not purchasing the BF4 Premium pack for $20 when it was on sale last week. I'll wait until the Premium pack goes on sale again and continue to focus on the more tactical, strategic fun of BF4.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Wow...apparently a lot of difference between the 360 version and the XB1. Hate to hear that. I WILL say that, though I really like Hotwire, it is NOT a typical Battlefield mode, and does come across as much more fast paced. The others? Mostly, it's Battlefield. For me, though, Heist is just different enough to be a breath of fresh air. That, and the 360 beta doesn't come across nearly as buggy. That's a bummer for you XB1 guys. BUT this is also an early build, and I remember how buggy the BF3 beta was, too.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I would have little to no interest in this game after playing the beta, even if it was bug-free. An absolute cash grab by EA.

Thanks again, EA. Your beta saved me $60.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

The beta ran fine for me on XB1. It plays a little faster than BF4. Looks about the same. I don't care for the cops v. robbers, just feels weird for a Battlefield game. Like pk, I'll stick with BF4 for now.

The Battlefield I am waiting for is Star Wars Battlefront.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I played this yesterday, and it was different. And fun.

Today, the luster is wearing thin quickly. I was looking forward to the change in dynamic, from soldiers and war to cops and robbers. Now, I think that might've been a mistake. I couldn't play but a short while yesterday, and got a couple rounds of each type in. I agree with PK that this could have easily been a 'Vietnam' type expansion pack. Heist is either feast...or extreme famine. I got lucky and feasted yesterday...it's annoying as hell when you're on the other end of the stick.

Conquest is still conquest, and I still like Hotwire, but...it's not Battlefield. Better to have created a whole new game, called it something else. No tanks, the strategy is kinda lacking. The biggest positive is that I've been able to play it without any real technical issues. That said, the longer I go, the less enthused I am...and that's not a good sign.

I'm VERY hesitant to give away 60 bucks any more, and have become far more finicky in choosing what will get my money. This probably wouldn't anyway, just because I'm on a 360 island and there's no reason to spend all that money on a MP game when I have plenty to choose from on my HDD, but...yeah...it's just not Battlefield. I know this looks like a very fast flip flop, and it probably is, but I'm more ambivalent, at best, now, than my initial exuberance allowed. Eh well.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

There is already an excellent cops and robbers co-op game out it's called PayDay 2. I deleted my beta invite email as I could care less about this franchise anymore. Give me a tactical game like the Operation flashpoint series Teal, Pk an I used to play.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Amen to that. I'm not saying that this one doesn't have its enjoyments-it must certainly does. But yeah... It's not battlefield.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:Give me a tactical game like the Operation flashpoint series Teal, Pk an I used to play.
Wow, Flashpoint flashback. Lord, those nights were fun. Among the more gripping online experiences I've had in any genre.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:I'm VERY hesitant to give away 60 bucks any more, and have become far more finicky in choosing what will get my money. This probably wouldn't anyway, just because I'm on a 360 island and there's no reason to spend all that money on a MP game when I have plenty to choose from on my HDD, but...yeah...it's just not Battlefield. I know this looks like a very fast flip flop, and it probably is, but I'm more ambivalent, at best, now, than my initial exuberance allowed. Eh well.
Not a fast flip-flop at all, dude. It's called being a smart, objective customer. You're right: This game is a $20 expansion pack, not a $60 complete title.

Honestly, I wasn't sure you had it in you, Teal. You usually gush like Old Faithful or a Peter North cumshot about nearly every gun game that comes on the market. So I applaud your rational second look at this title, as you are a shooter guru around here.

:)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Teal wrote: I know this looks like a very fast flip flop, and it probably is, but I'm more ambivalent, at best, now, than my initial exuberance allowed. Eh well.
I don't think that at all. You had more time to look at it. Companies who provide demos I'm a fan off. Take Evolve, i was all in on that game since it is coming from the L4D guys. Played the Alpha and the beta and it's just not for me. I don't see it being enjoyable without friends and I may be in the minority I prefer co-op shooters. I miss the Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon Games. Some of my favorite memories are 16 player co-op in GR.

I'm pinning all my hopes on The Division.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Danimal wrote:I miss the Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon Games. Some of my favorite memories are 16 player co-op in GR.

I'm pinning all my hopes on The Division.
What about Rainbow Six Siege? I'd consider that one if I have a good group to play with.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:I'm pinning all my hopes on The Division.
Ditto....

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

DivotMaker wrote:
Danimal wrote:I'm pinning all my hopes on The Division.
Ditto....
Diiiiiiitttttttoooooo
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote: Honestly, I wasn't sure you had it in you, Teal. You usually gush like Old Faithful or a Peter North cumshot about nearly every gun game that comes on the market. So I applaud your rational second look at this title, as you are a shooter guru around here.

:)
Hey-I resemble that remark! :twisted:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

There is one positive to the Hardline beta: It's so sh*tty that it made me fall in love with Battlefield 4 all over again. :lol:

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

pk500 wrote:Thank God for betas. EA just saved me $60. This game is underwhelming, to say the least.

First, the Xbox One beta is buggy as hell. I was respawned multiple times 50 feet behind where I just moved for no reason, with no foes anywhere in sight and no bullets flying. I also pumped multiple clips of lead into foes, and they never dropped.

But when it did work, this game sucked. Conquest was BF4-style Conquest with a new location and a few new weapons. Big whoop. Heist was basically Conquest or Rush, as Teal said, with more speed. BFD. And Hotwire was a frantic mess, perfect for the Red Bull-addled crowd that inhales new Call of Duty games like Skittles.

This game is about as tactical as kids amped up on cupcakes playing musical chairs at a 5-year-old's birthday party. And the graphics are no better than BF4 on the XB1, which was a port of the Xbox 360 version with a bit more polish. Far from cutting-edge, current-gen graphics.

BF: Hardline is a cash grab by EA, trying to get gamers to suck on the teat of the franchise until BF5 is ready. Sorry, I'm not thirsty for milk.

I was hoping for something similar to the classic SWAT games for the PC from about 10 years ago. Instead, this beta plays like Call of Duty Hardline or Battlefield: Cops at 78 RPM.

My only regret is not purchasing the BF4 Premium pack for $20 when it was on sale last week. I'll wait until the Premium pack goes on sale again and continue to focus on the more tactical, strategic fun of BF4.
^^^Perfectly stated. 100% agree!

Just from the videos of the gameplay I could tell it wasn't my cup of tea. However, to have a valid opinion of the game I felt the need to at least download the demo and get some gameplay time with it.

My opinion has not changed and I do not plan on purchasing it. :!:

-MERACE

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

You can download the game if you have EA access now.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:You can download the game if you have EA access now.
It's a time-limited demo for those who have made the mistake of purchasing this steaming pile of dung, at least based on the beta. Ten hours.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hardline is a classic example of why EA Access remains the best value in console gaming.

I played this game for the first time since the beta last night after downloading it from the EA Access Vault. It was very fun. Cops and robbers Battlefield. Nothing new, but the weapon variety, new modes and multiple hiding spots on maps were a nice change of pace from BF4.

This game is not worth $60. It's not even worth $40. I would have been pissed if I paid that much for it. Hardline should have been a BF4 expansion pack for $20.

But as a free EA Access Vault game, Hardline is quite a bit of fun. It's amazing how a free sticker price alters your judgment of a game. :)