Logitech G920 Racing Wheel for XB1/PC

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Logitech G920 Racing Wheel for XB1/PC

Post by J_Cauthen »

TCrouch wrote:I know I'm buying one in October. I keep telling myself I won't, but I know I will.
It looks like I'm going to have the luxury of time in making this decision, as either of the two options I've settled upon are not available yet. There's no solid information on the Thrustmater TX Racing Wheel Servo Base actual release date yet (it was supposed to be August), and it will be October 14th before the Logitech G920 is released. I'm leaning heavily toward the Logitech right now after watching a couple of You Tube videos of it in action with Forza 6, and watching propete10's Twitch stream on Friday.

The wheel certainly seems well suited to Forza 6 and ProPete10 says it also works well F1 2015. It sounds like there's some work to do on the PC side though, but if it can be tweaked, or native support is added for the PC version of Project CARS and iRacing, it will meet my immediate needs.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

So I fixed my TX wheel. I knew the breakaway adapter was the part that seemed bad, as I could wiggle that little plastic section of the breakaway and it would restore connection, then fritz out during calibration. If I got it JUST RIGHT it could sometimes hold connection, but one bump or hard turn and it would shut itself off again, mid-race. I tried other dongles that have the USB end and the round plastic connector on the other, and the problem persisted.

So I said f*ck it, it's busted anyway. Cut the cable on both ends of the breakaway, stripped back the rubber and the wire mesh, spliced everything together and wrapped it back up with electrical tape--works flawlessly again.

It looks pretty ghetto, but it works once more. Probably won't be buying a G920 now hah

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

I've only owned Logitech and Microsoft wheels. In my opinion Logitech is the best option. I have had a g27 & DFGT & never had any problems with either wheel. I used them both a ton in iRacing. Replacement and upgrade parts are always available in forums/eBay if you ever needed them. Logitech may not be the top of the line but they offer reasonable customer support and they're extremely well built.

Racing forums are littered with complaints about fanatec customer service.......so I would avoid them.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Inside Sim Racing just posted their video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUMOOLb ... e=youtu.be of the G920 recently and it hit all the points I was concerned about. The pedal resolution is a bit of a concern as I've gotten accustomed to my Fanatec ClubSport Elite pedals. I'm hoping that Basher Boards will make an adapter that will allow me to use my ClubSport Elite pedals with the G920. That would be the best solution, I'm guessing, but there's no guarantee that's happening. I could live with the 8 bit resolution of the pedals if I have to. I know I suck so bad with the hand held controller that it would be a major step up for me.

My main concern is the on-center, force-feedback dead zone chatter. I wonder if that's something that could be worked out over time via changes to the firmware? Darin did say that the PC support was currently pretty bad, but he did mention that Logitech had contacted him that day, saying the they had a new beta version of the driver for PC games that they were sending him. I'll be following their remarks as things develop on this front. Darin did say that the PC support for the G29 was much better than the G920, so there's no reason to think they can't come a lot closer to getting it right for the G920 before release in October.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Saw the G920 yesterday at my local Best Buy. Looks sweet....but for $400????

They had a couple in stock.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I bought the Logitech G920 last week after seeing that they had them in stock at Logitech USA. Here's the review I posted on Amazon.com about it:

I picked up the Logitech G920, primarily for use with the XBox One and Forza 6, and Project CARS and iRacing on the PC. So far it's doing a serviceable job with all three, but at the outset, it's not as refined as I would expect a next generation force-feedback steering wheel to be. The force-feedback effects feel mostly one-dimensional to me, with the emphasis being on self-centering forces. There's also a considerably significant force-feedback "deadzone" when the wheel is centered, even with Forza 6's inside dead zone set to "0", making the driving feel a bit sloppy. I didn't expect optimum performance out of the box, as it's pretty clear that Turn 10 has as much of a hand in the way this wheel performs in Froza 6 as Logitech. It will improve over time, hopefully to at least the level of performance I was seeing with my Fanatec GT2 on Forza 4, and the XBox 360. Presently though, I can still turn in better times with the wheel than I can with the controller, while holding better lines in multiplayer racing, so that alone is worth the price of admission.

My biggest concern for this wheel was its helical gear drive. I thought the potential for noisy gear operation might go beyond my tolerance level, after seeing and hearing some videos of the Mad Katz FF wheel in operation. Much to my delight, I can't hear the helical gears in operation. There is a "gritty" feel that I can associate to them, but it feels a lot like the steering in my Mazda Protege. It's not an annoyance, but clearly not as smooth as the belt drive operation of my Fanatec GT2.

The process of pairing this wheel to my XBox One required more gyrations than Logitech's recommended process, which is quite busy on its own. Once I got the two paired, it's not been a problem. You can use another controller to enable chat via the headset plugged into it, but there's not miniplug on the wheel to accommodate the headset.

The G920 turns in equally pedestrian performances with iRacing and Project CARS on the PC, but at least both games are presently playable. I have not yet plugged Jack Spade's latest force-feedback package into Project CARS, which reportedly will help with that. I'll report back and revise my review once I've had a chance to do so... installing that package is not an easy task though.

The pedals that come with the G920 are so-so. The brake pedal has a built in damper that stiffens up too quickly, IMO. The workaround is to shorten up the travel of the brake pedal in the tuning setup, but then you reduce the resolution and fine control of the brake pressure when doing so. I wish there was a way to adjust the backpressure of the damper to your tastes, but alas, there is not.

Overall, the G920 has a quality feel of construction. The leather stitched wheel feels great there's no slop in the wheel operation. It also seems to run cool. The force-feedback force is probably less than what most belt driven force feedback wheel deliver. I think it will feel better once more feedback forces are modeled by the games and the wheel.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thanks for the impressions. I ended up returning my $100 Thrustmaster wheel last week and picking up a Thrustmaster TX wheel. After fighting with trying to calibrate it for a few hours, the darn thing broke. It seems that there are so many issues with these wheels, that I don't know if it's worth the investment. So, I'm taking it back today and will probably hold off for a while in purchasing another one.

If this Logitech wheel dropped a $100 or more, I'd probably pick it up. I want to have the peace of mind that the thing is going to work a month, 6 months, and a year from now. Logitech seems to have a solid track record.

My only concern is the force feedback with this Logitech wheel. How can it not be off the charts strong with games such as Forza Horizon 2 and Forza 6, considering how expensive it is? Can updates improve the force feedback with games that are already released?

Now, I have a wheel stand pro with no wheel. It's back to the controller for me.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The TX Wheel has the best FF I've ever felt, FWIW. And yeah, I've had tons of problems with Thrustmaster products (as noted here), but when they work...damn, they're good. They're just so finicky in how you do firmware updates and calibrate them that it makes it a tricky business to use them.

I've got my TX and T300 working again now, so I'm set for anything, and it's tough to use anything else after getting used to the FF on those.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

sportdan30 wrote:Thanks for the impressions. I ended up returning my $100 Thrustmaster wheel last week and picking up a Thrustmaster TX wheel. After fighting with trying to calibrate it for a few hours, the darn thing broke. It seems that there are so many issues with these wheels, that I don't know if it's worth the investment. So, I'm taking it back today and will probably hold off for a while in purchasing another one.

If this Logitech wheel dropped a $100 or more, I'd probably pick it up. I want to have the peace of mind that the thing is going to work a month, 6 months, and a year from now. Logitech seems to have a solid track record.

My only concern is the force feedback with this Logitech wheel. How can it not be off the charts strong with games such as Forza Horizon 2 and Forza 6, considering how expensive it is? Can updates improve the force feedback with games that are already released?

Now, I have a wheel stand pro with no wheel. It's back to the controller for me.
I can see why you would be a bit reluctant to buy another wheel at this point. I'd say the G920 feels about $75 overpriced, even though it is well made. You raise a good question about updates improving the force feedback forces. The consensus is that they can be made better, as in more multidimensional, but stronger seems to be a bit more iffy. There are conditions under which the wheel exerts a relatively strong counterforce, but others in which you expect it but it's only a token force.

It would probably be best to wait and see how both the next update to Logitech's firmware for the G920, and Turn 10's next update that addresses force-feedback steering wheels works out, before making a decision. Turn 10 said over a month ago in a thread one of their devs started that they were working on FFB steering wheel enhancements, but they've been unresponsive to follow-up questions since. I think it's a ways down their priority list of fixes right now. FFB wheel users comprise such a small segment of their customer base that it's not worth their time to prioritize it any highter at this point, IMO.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

TCrouch wrote:The TX Wheel has the best FF I've ever felt, FWIW. And yeah, I've had tons of problems with Thrustmaster products (as noted here), but when they work...damn, they're good. They're just so finicky in how you do firmware updates and calibrate them that it makes it a tricky business to use them.

I've got my TX and T300 working again now, so I'm set for anything, and it's tough to use anything else after getting used to the FF on those.
If I had a TX wheel that was working, I wouldn't worry about anything else. From what I gather, you should already be getting a better experience out of Forza 6 with it, plus I bet since it's been around longer, it does a better job with iRacing and Project CARS on the PC, than the G920.

My best possible solution would have been to buy the Thrustmater TX Racing Wheel Servo Base pair it with the 599XX EVO 30 Wheel, and using my Fanatec Club Sport Elite pedals (via a Basherboard CPX Adapter) with it. I'd still be waiting though, as the wheel servo base still isn't on the market as of yet. Ultimately, it was the questionable reliability of the Thrustmater base that steered me toward the Logitech G920. It was just a gamble that I wasn't ready to take.

Still, I can't help be feel a bit disappointed when I play iRacing and Project CARS on my PC now, and have a less satisfying experience with them than what I was having when using my Fanatec GT2 with them. I wish I could set both wheels up, but it's logistically impossible. It just goes to show how much Forza 5 and 6 rule my racing world right now. I'm willing to give that up on those two games to be able to play Forza 6 on a wheel that currently delivers a passable performance, at best. :oops:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

So, I just happened to watch a review on Inside Sim Racing of the Thrustmaster T150 PS4 wheel that is releasing around 11/6. It has a nice price point of $200 which is within my budget. They were both quite positive and surprised with how nice the wheel performed. I sure wish they had a wheel like this on the Xbox One, within that same price structure.

While there's not necessarily a game that excites me quite yet on the PS4, I'm pretty sure I can get my racing fix with Driveclub ($20 pre-owned) and perhaps Project Cars. That might be a more sensible way for me to go, rather than break the bank on a wheel I might not play on a fairly frequent basis.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

sportdan30 wrote:So, I just happened to watch a review on Inside Sim Racing of the Thrustmaster T150 PS4 wheel that is releasing around 11/6. It has a nice price point of $200 which is within my budget. They were both quite positive and surprised with how nice the wheel performed. I sure wish they had a wheel like this on the Xbox One, within that same price structure.

While there's not necessarily a game that excites me quite yet on the PS4, I'm pretty sure I can get my racing fix with Driveclub ($20 pre-owned) and perhaps Project Cars. That might be a more sensible way for me to go, rather than break the bank on a wheel I might not play on a fairly frequent basis.
I just checked that video out at ISR... not a bad force feedback wheel for $200! If I only had PS4 and PC racing in mind, I'd be tempted to go for it. The pedals would be a lot better with the rubber furniture leg damper on the brake, but I think they'd get the job done.

I'm not impressed with Drive Club in my time with the PS Plus version. I don't think there's anything there that a wheel would salvage, at least for me. Everything I read about Project CARS on the PS4 has been positive though. The only real bone I can pick with it on the PC is that it's hard to find a race online a lot of times. I never have that problem with Forza 5 and 6, although you obviously run into some malicious wreckers in random races. I was in a D class lobby last night that held up for an hour and half, with mostly good solid racing, so it can be done.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I just wish it wasn't a long waiting list for those pedal adapters. I could use my CSR Elites with them, I'm sure. Just not patient enough to buy something and wait months for it to arrive. Maybe some day :lol:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

J_Cauthen wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:So, I just happened to watch a review on Inside Sim Racing of the Thrustmaster T150 PS4 wheel that is releasing around 11/6. It has a nice price point of $200 which is within my budget. They were both quite positive and surprised with how nice the wheel performed. I sure wish they had a wheel like this on the Xbox One, within that same price structure.

I just checked that video out at ISR... not a bad force feedback wheel for $200! If I only had PS4 and PC racing in mind, I'd be tempted to go for it. The pedals would be a lot better with the rubber furniture leg damper on the brake, but I think they'd get the job done.

I'm not impressed with Drive Club in my time with the PS Plus version. I don't think there's anything there that a wheel would salvage, at least for me. Everything I read about Project CARS on the PS4 has been positive though. The only real bone I can pick with it on the PC is that it's hard to find a race online a lot of times. I never have that problem with Forza 5 and 6, although you obviously run into some malicious wreckers in random races. I was in a D class lobby last night that held up for an hour and half, with mostly good solid racing, so it can be done.
I should have the wheel on Monday. I'll let you know my novice impressions.

I realize Driveclub isn't for everybody. It didn't necessarily get off to an auspicious start. But, I played the free edition and just love the track layouts and the different modes. 55 tracks is huge, and the game is just absolutely gorgeous. And I'm really enjoying the gameplay after initially being a little indifferent about it. It's definitely not a full sim, which is really fine by me. I would have loved for their to be real tracks included, and I'm hopeful the A.I. isn't too too aggressive in how they drive. I had a heck of lot of fun just doing time trials, sprints, and drifts. I also liked how you unlock new cars as you level up. For me, I don't care or am knowledgeable enough to to mess with the settings on a car.

Hoping the wheel just adds to the immersion come Monday.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well, I received the T150 yesterday, and it's going back today. Not impressed one bit, and makes me think that Inside Sim Racing is getting some kind of kick back. It is what it is, a budget racing wheel. The thing looked cheap and felt cheap in my hands. Way too much plastic, including the pedals. The force feedback was prevalent, but it just didn't feel right. Honestly, I can't believe they're selling it for $200. It feels like a $125 to $150 wheel.

In any case, I'm trying one more time with the TX wheel, and after that I'll wait for the price to come down on the G920 I suppose.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

sportdan30 wrote:Well, I received the T150 yesterday, and it's going back today. Not impressed one bit, and makes me think that Inside Sim Racing is getting some kind of kick back. It is what it is, a budget racing wheel. The thing looked cheap and felt cheap in my hands. Way too much plastic, including the pedals. The force feedback was prevalent, but it just didn't feel right. Honestly, I can't believe they're selling it for $200. It feels like a $125 to $150 wheel.

In any case, I'm trying one more time with the TX wheel, and after that I'll wait for the price to come down on the G920 I suppose.
Hmmm.. hate it didn't work out for you. I see where the T150 now has four stars on Amazon.com from 14 reviews, and I thought based on that, and the ISR review it was going to be a keeper. I can't say I'm not a little disappointed in the G920 thus far, but I can see where it will get better with firmware updates and hopefully, software updates from Turn 10, which will be critical because I went with it primarily for Forza 5,6 and Forza Horizon 2.

You say the force feedback didn't feel right? As in nothing more than self centering forces? That seems to be the only dimension that's consistently modeled with the G920, although occasionally I do feel some traction lost forces - after the fact - not as they're building. I did see a lot of plastic on the T150's wheel. One thing I can say is the G920's wheel feels like pure quality in my hands. There is absolutely no slop in the support and rotation of this wheel either... that goes a long way in my book!

Oh, what did the T150 do for the DriveClub experience? I've always wondered if I'd change my tune about DriveClub after playing it with a wheel that was suited for it.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I don't think the wheel would change your personal opinion about Driveclub at all. The A.I. still runs fairly perfect lines, and is overly aggressive for the simple fact that it doesn't seem to have any type of human intelligence built in. If you're in their way, they will rear end you and cause you to spin out. I can actually usually fair better in Driveclub than in Forza primarily because I am able to bump my car through the mess of competitor cars, but that doesn't necessarily create a rewarding feel of accomplishment. For that reason alone, Forza is a much better game. I love the human element of Forza so much more.

With Driveclub, I do love the creative tracks, weather lapse, sprint and time trials, but it fails pretty miserably racing against the A.I. And the reason may also be that the tracks are too narrow to avoid the unnecessary collisions.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

nm

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Best Buy has this wheel on sale for $299 through tomorrow. I picked one up and played around with it for about an hour last night.

I haven't used a wheel in a long time and only had the Driving Force GT, so I don't really know what to expect and need to watch some video reviews to compare those to what my wheel was doing last night. First thing I noticed was that the vibration was a bit much - it felt like an old Outrun arcade game when you crash, is that common with the wheel? It was better after adjusting the vibration to 30% at least.

Definitely felt the impact of the dead zone and am still figuring out how to interpret what the force feedback is telling me, it is going to take some time to get a hang of it. The brake damper was annoying and it was really hard to get above ~60% brake power with the temp set-up I threw together, so the sensitivity will need to be adjusted in the game.

At Lime Rock I was 3 seconds off my fastest time with the controller and spent a lot of time facing the wrong direction, but the experience was fun and different from my usual time with Forza.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven