Gal Civ III

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Gal Civ III

Post by MizzouRah »

Anyone playing this? I've been playing off and on since EA, but it's finally completed and I've dug a good amount of time into this weekend. One of the better 4x games in recent memory for sure.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Gal Civ III

Post by Rodster »

I bought I and II and couldn't get into either one. So i'll probably have to pass on III.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:I bought I and II and couldn't get into either one. So i'll probably have to pass on III.
Yeah, if you didn't get into the first two, you wouldn't with III either. :wink:

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I've gotten pretty tired of the series. The writing is pretty bad (same in Elemental, although GalCiv writing is more about it being boring and sometimes trying and failing to be amusing, and Elemental is just sloppy with style and grammar). The game is best played zoomed out until everything is icons, because this is more informative - but then you lose the cool spaceships and planets stuff, and you're just playing a game with icons. The game pacing has always seemed off - ships often become obsolete before they even reach their first destination after being commissioned. And I never really got on board with how wars play out. They're usually just one-sided and lots of designing, building, and moving ships for a very small combat payoff - exacerbated by the fact that there is no tactical play. And there's not much window dressing for the fact that this is a game that's all about numbers - the whole "playing a spreadsheet" vibe. Which is fine for OOTP etc. but I want more and better flavor and immersion, and this game does not deliver on that front.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

To each their own I guess.. with so many 4x games out there, I find GC III very refreshing.. maybe because it's been a long time since I played GC II. I think it's going to get even better as time goes on as Stardock will continue to support it/release DLC for it.

Sorcerer King hasn't been released yet, but it's another fantastic 4x game by Stardock. I've been playing it since EA, but took a break as it's getting close to release.