DiRT Rally

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

DiRT Rally

Post by GB_Simo »

A new DiRT from Codemasters, coming to consoles at some point with an Early Access version available on Steam now:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -out-today

It seems the plan is for the game to remain Early Access until the end of this calendar year, with the early marketing bumph (some of which you'll find on Steam by clicking these words) being all about how Codies are catering for those who wanted to go rallying without having to do gymkhana, race a bobsleigh down a hill or earn points for the uploading of totally rad videos to something called YooToob.

The idea appeals to me, as I suspect it will to a few of us here, and between this and the promise of a more convincing handling model for F1 2015, Codies sound like a studio trying to rediscover what made them popular in the first place. Thoughts, lads?
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: DiRT Rally

Post by TCrouch »

I saw this blurb this morning and watched the video. Had similar thoughts. I figured a post would come up about it at some point.

I'll definitely pick it up at some point. I've been playing Dirt 3 again recently, so this is pretty good timing.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Very cool. The guy in that vid says it's the most sim-ey game Codemasters has ever done. Closer to Richard Burns than Colin McRae.

I might jump on this pretty soon. :)
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The news of this game - I had no idea this was coming! - has created quite a stir in my loins.

Eager to see how this game progresses!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

A Dirt game that is only rally....HELL YES. Was bored with 2 and 3 (especially 3) with all the extra crap, just wanted the rally stages. Downloading as we speak on Steam...need this.

...and PIKE'S PEAK!!!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, same. Even when I play Dirt 3 I skip so much of the other stuff that it feels like I'm playing 1/3 of a game. I'm sure I'll get this sooner rather than later, but I'll definitely get it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Those graphics look insanely good. Glad it's on the PC, that's for sure. I can finally push the hell out of the new video card and monitor. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Good price point of $35 even without the discount. I've been batting .500 on early access games but this one maybe worth the gamble.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

So...yeah. It's hard. I suck. My instinct was to turn all aids off and go for a romp.

Right off a cliff.

Into a tree.

Into a boulder.

Off another cliff.

Brake lockup heading into a street, snap oversteer--into a fence.

Into another tree.

I almost completed the first two segments of one stage. :oops:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

TCrouch wrote:So...yeah. It's hard. I suck. My instinct was to turn all aids off and go for a romp.
-Right off a cliff.
-Into a tree.
-Into a boulder.
-Off another cliff.
-Brake lockup heading into a street, snap oversteer--into a fence.
-Into another tree.
-I almost completed the first two segments of one stage. :oops:
That sounds almost exactly like my Richard Burns Rally experience out of the box. This is an awesome surprise. I had heard nothing about this. Definitely will give this a try on Steam. It is pretty amazing the current state of racing sims on the PC. You have several really top quality titles with iracing, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, rfactor 2, RaceRoom Racing Experience, Stock Car Extreme/Formula Truck 2013. And now Codemasters launching DiRT Rally and supposedly F1 2015 being more sim related than ever. Good days for sim racing fans.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

The good: I got an achievement on my first stage.
The bad: The achievement for rolling a car, coming down on your wheels and carrying on. I did that twice.

I fell down several hills, into three trees, arrived at two hairpins facing backwards and got a 15 second penalty when the game reset my car to stop it from crashing into some spectators. The physics underpinning these catastrophes feels solid enough but I haven't been pointing in the right direction for long enough to know.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Wow, Mobil 1 Rally anyone.

Looks awesome. Hope it comes to consoles in this form.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I would love a Mobil Rally PC game. It had sh*t physics but it was fun doing 25 plus minute stages. The game before that was Network Q Rally. It also had insane stages and some went on for close to 35 minutes.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

How is this possible? No one had heard of this game and it is dropped in our laps on this lovely Monday. Holy crap what an awesome experience. The handling model is top notch, graphics are phenomenal and the game has proper stages...like long ones that have been missing in console rally games. And it's f'n HARD. So damn fun. I wish I had more time to play it tonight...just an awesome surprise today. If you've got a good PC rig, you must download this game. Whoa.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Picked it up. Some positives and negatives but so far I like what I see. Force feedback certainly needs some work, though there are already users out there finding ways to manipulate the controller xml file in a positive way to add more flair. Also, perhaps it's just my driving but the gravel surfaces give me a strange driving sensation. Seems like all the cars suffer tremendous understeer, particularly at low speed. Getting around hairpins is a challenge as the hand brake just doesn't want to kick the rear out enough for my liking. And kudos to Codies for quickly resolving the audio issue - driving without the co-driver was tough. On most rally games the co-driver doesn't add much; in this game I find it essential.

The daily event is spectacular. After my first run I knew I could do better and was ready to give the route another go but couldn't. Just like a real rally, no do-overs. Once the wheels cross the start line there's no going back. Been using those daily events to save up enough credits to get that Stratos and do the weekly community rally event.

Looking forward to the development and new venues.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah there are definitely a few negatives, but they are few and far between for such a new game. I had a feeling the co-driver thing was a bug so didn't think to much about it, but damn it made the game so much better. LOL. It's definitely essential in a game of this difficulty.

My one complaint about the handling model is that it's WAY too easy to get airborne just by sliding into an embankment or small curb. It just seems a bit exaggerated and it throws off the realism. Way too much time in the air from slight course management issues. That will probably be tightened up as well.

It's definitely an awesome rally game. And the graphics @ 2560x1440 w/ ultra details...whoa.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It's definitely an awesome rally game. And the graphics @ 2560x1440 w/ ultra details...whoa.
I'm with you 100%. And I'll say at 144Hz with G-SYNC, it's on another level. It's like a window through to somewhere else, not something on a screen.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

A month into owning this, I'm still having a blast. Half-way through the online monthly rally and am having to drive very cautiously to nurse a sick car to every repair service. The first 12 of 24 stages have taken me an hour+, and some of those 7-8 minute stages are brutal. Codies so far has hit a home run with this title. With Pikes Peak supposedly hitting the early release by week's end, the fun will keep on going. I don't know where the top drivers find their speed. I'll hit what I think is a solid and clean stage on a daily challenge only to be down a minute on the top times.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

I had to take a break from racing on the PC due to company using my study as sleeping quarters. This morning I picked up the monthly rally where I left off - 12th stage. A few minutes out of the gate I drive off the road and down the hill, smashing into a tree. Game over :( The online component of this game continues to impress. No do overs unless I want to restart the WHOLE 24 stage event again.

And this week Codies delivered a wonderful gift - PIKES PEAK :D :D :D What's great is that they've got both the pre- and post-paved course. One of my favorite aspects of the original Dirt was Pikes Peak, so having access to it again is great. What's great about the classic route, with the dirt and gravel is that you definitely see a slowing of times. I'm no Sebastian Loeb setting a course record on the 100% asphalt course, but I do appreciate that my post/pre asphalt time deltas are in the same range as the guys that do this for a living. The dirt Pikes Peak had a nice surprise as I gained elevation - the dirt getting whipped up by wind at times.

While I did get RBR, the lack of force feedback in that game has been a killer. But Dirt Rally is turning out to be the best rally game I've ever played. If Codies continues to improve this thing (e.g., damage is a bit on the light side, too much engine braking for my taste, traction seems a little off on gravel and snow, better FFB, just touching the flag lines on hairpins resetting the car and giving a 15 second penalty) it will end up a masterpiece.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Latest early access update - downloading now :D

Took part of the day off and gave the RX a go. Friggin' great. Do need to try again at the highest difficulty. Second highest was a bit easy. But great courses and handling, cool heat system, damage during the race, smart AI.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Codemasters and Koch Media have announced the full version of Dirt Rally is out now on Steam, and it's also coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on April 5, 2016.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/ ... n=Blogroll

I bought the early access but haven't messed around with it. Because I am dumb.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

So happy to hear this is coming to consoles!!!!
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wilk5280 wrote:So happy to hear this is coming to consoles!!!!
FANTASTIC news. About time a proper rally game came to current-gen consoles. Stoked!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Yeh those Rally cross events have DSP fun written all over them. Im in. :D