DiRT Rally

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: DiRT Rally

Post by DChaps »

TCrouch wrote:These 24 hour time frames are a killer. I didn't even see this post until this morning, at work.
Sorry Terry, this one was actually just a test I was doing to see if I could figure out how so of these parameters work. Then I realized people saw it and were running it so I posted about it. I think I have figured it out enough to propose a 6 week season starting today. I will post the details shortly. Also, I think you can complete in more than one league at a time, so if people don't like what I setup, we can try multiple options at the same time. I am proposing 1 rally per week, 6 stages, Covering the first routes for each country, different group of cars each time, and varied weather conditions. No setup or engineers for this first go round, and you don't have to own the cars. No stage or event restarts, but checkpoints at each stage. Service Repair every two stages, so you gives some incentive to not kill the car as you are going to have to make it through at least another stage. More to follow....

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Enjoy, fellas. I'll look on with great interest. But it's unlikely I can do a six-week, multi-stage season once I hit the road hard and often for work at the end of this month.

Drive it like you stole it! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:Enjoy, fellas. I'll look on with great interest. But it's unlikely I can do a six-week, multi-stage season once I hit the road hard and often for work at the end of this month.

Drive it like you stole it! :)
The way I am trying to set it up would hopefully allow for minimal commitment. I rarely have more than one night a week these days for gaming. The settings with just six stages per week should allow for one to complete a weekly rally in about 30 minutes or less. With no stage restarts, event restarts, or setups, it should also mean that playing level is somewhat balanced regardless of how much time you have to put in. Everyone is getting one shot per stage. Goal is just for fun and to enjoy a wide range of car and venues. We will see if it works or not and we can tweak it. I actually had you in mind when I was thinking about how to make the schedule. :)

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Inaugural DSP "CMR2/Sports Reviewers Memorial" DiRT Rally Championship

6 weeks, Mon - Sun starting today. 1 six stage rally per week.

The weekly rally will start on Monday at 12:00 noon Eastern Daylight Savings time and end at 3:00 am Eastern Daylight Savings the following Monday. However, it is going to appear that it is available until 11:450am on Monday. So, it is by DSP gentleman's agreement that I ask that no one posts any times after Monday morning 3:00am EDT for the previous weeks rally. This will give me time to screenshot all the results and stages and then put the times into Excel or Google Sheets. Feel free to use whatever assists you want, as this is just for fun anyway. However, it would be helpful for everyone to post what settings they are using, controller preference, FFB settings. Anything that would be worth sharing.

Global Settings for each week:
Event gamemode: Rally
Stage Retry: No
Event Restart: No
Owned Vehicles: No
Career Engineers: No
Service Area at Stage 3 and Stage 5
Checkpoints at each Stage

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/lea ... dsp-racing

Full Season Event schedule here:

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/vie ... 43/current

EVENT 1 - Monaco, Route 1
Vehicle Class: 1960s
Date range: Monday 04/18/2016 12:00 noon EDT - Monday 04/25/2016 3:00am EDT

Stage: Track: Conditions:
1 Monaco, Pra d’Alart (L) Midday / Sunny
2 Monaco, Route de Turini (L) Afternoon / Mist
3 Monaco, Gordolon - Courte montée (S) Afternoon / Snow
4 Monaco, Col de Turini - Descente (S) Afternoon / Cloudy
5 Monaco, Route de Turini Descente (S) Night / Wet
6 Monaco, Col de Turini - Sprint en descente (S) Midday / Sunny

Below is a great resource guide for all the stages in DiRT Rally:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =445493282

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

OK, Don. Thanks. I'll find the time, man! This game is just too damn good. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Perfect league setup. Looking forward to racing in it! Like Paul said, this game is too damn good!

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Thanks for setting this up, Don! My Xbone is in the shop (bad BluRay drive finally gave up the ghost) and we are heading to NOLA this week for Jazz Fest, but if there's still room when I get back I'll be sure to sign up. Is there any way to allow shake down stages before the event? Or would that be tied to allowing setups?

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

So much fun! I ran through the entire 1st rally tonight and was grinning ear-to-ear the entire time. I'm not fast, not even close, but damn it's just so much fun. I was having a killer run on the 5th stage, only to find myself sideways in the middle of the road not far from the finish... costing my a bit of time as I couldn't seem to get strait and moving forward again for some reason.

I was terrible on the two longer stages. I find it hard to concentrate for the 8 or 9+ minute it takes me to get to the finish. Always some mental slip-up costing me huge chunks of time.

Thanks for putting this together!
GT = Wilk5280

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Hell of a rally, and I ran the whole thing at once to. Damn it Wilk, edging me out! I'll get you next week! :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DChaps wrote:However, it would be helpful for everyone to post what settings they are using, controller preference, FFB settings. Anything that would be worth sharing.
Sat down to check out the rally settings last night, and it didn't seem to want to do anything except "Press handbrake to go". Then I found myself blasting through the entire thing in one sitting :lol:

There's something addictive about this game.

But for the settings:

XBox One Elite Controller using the taller sticks for racing.
I have ABS at 2. All other assists off.

I haven't touched any of the specific controller settings, just fired it up and went. It feels just about perfect as-is for me.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Forgot to post my settings.

Elite Controller with tall sticks
I'll have to double check, but I think ABS and Traction control are at 1 or 2.
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Ugh. I'm slow -- no doubt about that. But I f*cked myself by picking the Mini instead of the Alpine. I felt much more comfortable in the early Career rallies in the Mini, but I've since learned the Alpine is far faster.

Driving the Alpine probably wouldn't help that much. But picking the Mini is a form of masochism I'll skip next time. :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'm surprised you'd choose the Mini, PK. First thing I felt driving that car was that it pushed like a dog...and in a rally, I need that rear end kicking out when I want it to.

I can definitely see going with the Mini to avoid careening off a cliff, but as far as racing and getting that weight shifted around and pointing the nose the right direction, I figured there was only one car to choose, so it's been pretty much the only one I've driven so far.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I have a soft spot for the old Minis. Plus I can wrap my head around the FWD technique, which is odd considering I like a tail-happy car in circuit racing.

But the Mini is a pushing pig compared to the Alpine. So, yeah, I'm an idiot. :lol:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:I have a soft spot for the old Minis. Plus I can wrap my head around the FWD technique, which is odd considering I like a tail-happy car in circuit racing.

But the Mini is a pushing pig compared to the Alpine. So, yeah, I'm an idiot. :lol:
Ha, I am a bigger idiot as I chose the Lancia Fulvia. Also a car I have always loved in real life, but not the best pick for this rally. It's all about the fun and challenge though right? We can learn from this first league season. Since I am not implementing requiring cars you own, open setups, and race engineers, some rallies will probably end up being one best car for the selection, but we can figure out ways to vary it up and still be balanced.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Well, that was merciful. I just crashed out of the second stage at Monte Carlo, ending a terrible rally in the Mini where I belong -- in last place.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Well I should have posted this reminder earlier, but don't forget this first rally event ends Monday morning (tomorrow) at 3:00am Eastern. Remember, it will say that the rally is available until 12:00 noon on Monday, but please do not post after 3:00am EDT. Because of the limitation that Codemasters does not allow you to see the event details and times after the event ends, I need some time to screenshot and copy/paste the results to spreadsheet. We have had some good participation so far. So just as a short cut, here are the cut off times for running this rally depending on your time zone:

Atlanta (USA - Georgia) Monday, April 25, 2016 at 3:00:00 AM EDT UTC-4 hours
Los Angeles (USA - California) - Midnight between Sun April 24, 2016 & Mon, April 25, 2016 PDT UTC-7 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Monday, April 25, 2016 at 8:00:00 AM BST UTC+1 hour
Chicago (USA - Illinois) Monday, April 25, 2016 at 2:00:00 AM CDT UTC-5 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Monday, April 25, 2016 at 1:00:00 AM MDT UTC-6 hours
St. Louis (USA - Missouri) Monday, April 25, 2016 at 2:00:00 AM CDT UTC-5 hours
New York (USA - New York) Monday, April 25, 2016 at 3:00:00 AM EDT UTC-4 hours

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Spent about two hours in the Alpine last night in career mode and finally adjusted to a RWD car from the FWD piglet known as the Mini. Really felt a good flow.

Man, this game places you into a zone unlike any other. When it's good, it's brilliant. When I'm off, I usually stop quickly. For me, DIRT Rally is one of those games in which you either have the focus and stamina to keep the needed concentration or you just park it after one shoddy, unfocused run and move to another game.

Ironically, I was locked in last night despite being bollocksed on tequila and other intoxicants. Maybe that's my new secret weapon. :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I bought the game on impulse today, as if I don't have a logjam already with my games. Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve for me, and you guys weren't kidding about being unforgiving. The game preaches patience and concentration, something I am lacking these days. So Don, if you don't mind looking at the rear mirror, you'll find me there on a consistent basis.

Put a request to join the DSP league.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Inaugural DSP "CMR2/Sports Reviewers Memorial" DiRT Rally Championship

EVENT 1 - Monaco - Final Results

I will have the stage rankings with times per stage later on today. Fun rally. I cannot believe how good this game is. Graphics, Sound, Force Feedback, Physics, Damage Model, etc. I don't care if I am last when it is this fun, although it still stings a little. I wish it tracked how many 15 sec penalties you receive per stage. I know that hurt me on a couple of them. Also, I had checkpoints set for each stage, and I thought that would give us the ability to run a stage and a time and save if you wanted to. It seemed like I had to run two at a time and the Service Area at the start of Stage 3 and Stage 5 were the only places I could save and come back later. Have I misunderstood what the check point does?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That's kind of what I was talking about earlier, Don---I meant to just look at the first stage to see what I was dealing with (asphalt %, ice %, etc.) and it was basically "run it or quit and DQ". I saw nowhere to just back out when I didn't REALLY want to run it right then...so I just ran the whole thing in one big chunk while I tried to watch TV with the wife...that was a disaster.

You're probably right on ONLY being able to back out at the service areas, though. I think by the time I ran the first couple of stages, I had committed to finishing it in that sitting.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Don't forget, a new Rally Event starts each week on Monday

Rally 2 - Sweden, Route 1
Vehicle Class: 1970s
Date range: Monday 04/25/2016 12:00 noon EDT - Monday 05/02/2016 3:00am EDT

Stage: Track: Conditions:
1 Sweden, Ransbysäter (L) Midday / Sunny
2 Sweden, Norraskoga (L) Afternoon / Snow
3 Sweden, Älgsjön Sprint (S) Afternoon / Snow
4 Sweden, Skogsrallyt (S) Afternoon / Cloudy
5 Sweden, Stor-jangen Sprint (S) Night / Snow
6 Sweden, Stor-jangen Sprint Reverse (S) Midday / Sunny

Full Season Event schedule here:

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/vie ... 43/current
Last edited by DChaps on Wed May 04, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Sweden and me don't mix for some reason. I'll be lookin' up at you fellas from the bottom of the list after this one's done for sure. :)
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

On the road this week working the IMSA race at Laguna Seca. Traveling now. Won't be home until Monday, so I'll miss this one. Drive it like you stole it!

cfiore
Mario Mendoza

Post by cfiore »

is this just for Xbone or can Ps4 do it as well?