Star Wars Battlefront

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Star Wars Battlefront

Post by pk500 »

Played this trial last night for some 40-player multiplayer. Pretty game but limited appeal for non-Star Wars people like me. A very basic MP shooter.

Rock on, Star Wars fans. Enjoy.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Played some of the campaign and it was fun it not a little bit on rails. Didn't have a chance for any multi-player
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I am officially old. Well I guess I have been for awhile, but man I just can't get into all these cards, loot crates, load outs, leveling up, etc. in all the games these days, especially the shooters. I am too slow, too dumb, and with not enough time on my hands. Like Zeppo, I have no want to play as the dark side. Just could not get engaged into the single player, but I do need to put in some more time. All I do in these games (Destiny, Halo, Battlefield, etc.) is spawn, run, hide, die, repeat. Don't feel connected to anything going on.... My skills are lacking

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Well after putting some time into it I actually like the campaign so far. Now multiplayer I will confess I have no idea what is going on.

I open up all these crates and get things I see no way to access in game. No idea what crafting is or how to do it and I must say the 40 v 40 maps I played on feel small compared to the last game.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:I open up all these crates and get things I see no way to access in game. No idea what crafting is or how to do it and I must say the 40 v 40 maps I played on feel small compared to the last game.
Bull's eye.

Admitted small sample size, but I was unimpressed with MP compared to first game. I'm not a Star Wars guy, so I had no plans of buying this game. But the first game surprised me with its fun upon release, so I bought it. Still enjoy playing it as part of EA Access.

Not getting that same loving feeling with the sequel.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Eh, nothing wrong with the game. I don't fool with the crates, don't know what they do, don't much care. I point my gun and shoot. Never was very good at this type shooter, but have always enjoyed them anyway. My son is a SW geek so this was a no brainer purchase no matter what. But I think it's greatly improved over the bare bones of the first one. I do think loot boxes should die an ignominious death, as I hate artificially extended legs in a game, but I'll never pay money for them myself.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

To use the crafting credits go to the collection tab and select which class you want to spend the credits for upgrades of your weapons or abilities.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

So did this actually release last night? I went to just fart around in the arcade mode and never got the trial prompt. Then I was able to play a couple of missions in the Campaign, so I'm assuming this actually went into live release?

Everywhere I look it still says the 17th, but I'm guessing the "headstart" fired off last night?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

If you pre-ordered the deluxe edition (I think) it is live today (last night) knowing you, I'm sure you pre-ordered whatever edition got you that perk :D

I hope it chokes on you 8 TB drive that you stole from me!!! j/k :D

I'm off to play board games for 5 days in Dallas, I'll be woefully out classed in this game upon my return.
Follow Me on:

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

DChaps wrote:I am officially old. Well I guess I have been for awhile, but man I just can't get into all these cards, loot crates, load outs, leveling up, etc. in all the games these days, especially the shooters. I am too slow, too dumb, and with not enough time on my hands.
I miss the days when there was no leveling up and progression in mp shooters. Equal playing field. Like the old Ghost Recon/RB6 games or Team Fortress 2. I think that's why I'm liking Fortnight Battle Royal and looking forward to PUBG.
I also feel that leveling killed private game lobbies. Once COD4 started with that, friends would rather play public lobbies since you don't level in private matches.

The last week I was mostly playing COD online and, to my surprise, enjoying it between rage episodes. It has a fairly intuitive upgrade system.

Switching to Star Wars last night after an hour of COD, it felt like I was running in mud and clueless. I didn't even open my crates until afterwards. I liked the first one and Im sure I'll get into this one once I spend more time with it.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

I played a few rounds yesterday and had a mix of rounds.

Some typically bad rounds against twitch kiddies where you'd round a corner and get sniped out of nowhere. And some lost close quarters fights against guys with elite (purple lvl 4) upgrades... One humorous moment on Naboo where I opened a door to find Darth Maul and Kylo Ren on the other side in mid leap towards me. The Ren guy had 2 purple elite Ren cards boosting the effectiveness of his powers. But it wasn't always that bad.

Other rounds had great standoffs and hold the line finished with overtime and narrow margins of victory. Also had a great sequence on Hoth where I provided a lot of air support and won a couple of dogfights against harassing TIEs.

Regarding my earlier post about exorbitant costs to unlock heroes, Dice already adjusted these way down in response to public criticism. Now I could probably unlock the big guys after about 5 hours each.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

This game is getting absolutely slayed in reviews. I'm actually pretty pleased with that, because the game is fun...I enjoy it. But the microtransaction sh*t is out of control. I have no real interest in going online to get obliterated by card-wielding punks, or playing the game endlessly to memorize maps just so I'm anything other than cannon fodder that hurts my team. I like single player campaign, local multiplayer and arcade mode. The fact that it's gating me from grinding a bunch of credits in arcade mode just to "unlock" characters that I can then use to play more in arcade mode just reeks of free-to-play garbage.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Only 4,500+ hours if you want to unlock everything. Or just pay $2,100.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unlock ... 2100.6190/

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

TCrouch wrote:This game is getting absolutely slayed in reviews. I'm actually pretty pleased with that, because the game is fun...I enjoy it. But the microtransaction sh*t is out of control. I have no real interest in going online to get obliterated by card-wielding punks, or playing the game endlessly to memorize maps just so I'm anything other than cannon fodder that hurts my team. I like single player campaign, local multiplayer and arcade mode. The fact that it's gating me from grinding a bunch of credits in arcade mode just to "unlock" characters that I can then use to play more in arcade mode just reeks of free-to-play garbage.
Reading about how progression/upgrades in this game and Need for Speed work makes my head spin and takes away most of my interest in trying the games. Totally understand that devs want/need to generate revenue beyond the initial sale on games of this scope, but it sure seems EA lost the plot this year.

Maybe if this one gets cheap enough I'll pick it up to play the single player and local co-op (is that still in the game?) with my son. We had a pretty good time playing the first one together.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Dave wrote:Reading about how progression/upgrades in this game and Need for Speed work makes my head spin and takes away most of my interest in trying the games. Totally understand that devs want/need to generate revenue beyond the initial sale on games of this scope, but it sure seems EA lost the plot this year.
Still not sure how we got to this point. The initial sale of the game WAS the revenue for a couple decades. I didn't care much about Season Passes or DLC, so I'm one of the users to blame for this current predicament...but apparently, this is where I draw the line. Gating me from playing my game offline while I wait for something to become available like a free to play game is ridiculous.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

First time I ever preordered the most expensive versions of games was this year with Forza 7 and Battlefront 2, never again after this fiasco. As I was opening up the crates for preordering the deluxe version last night I was asking myself, "Was this really worth an extra 40 dollars?" well it was definitely not. Still can't believe that when you go to play heroes vs villains, half the characters are locked. :evil:
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

In case there's any confusion, the unlocks required for heroes do not extend to offline.

You can use Luke and the others in co-op arcade mode.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:
Dave wrote:Reading about how progression/upgrades in this game and Need for Speed work makes my head spin and takes away most of my interest in trying the games. Totally understand that devs want/need to generate revenue beyond the initial sale on games of this scope, but it sure seems EA lost the plot this year.
Still not sure how we got to this point. The initial sale of the game WAS the revenue for a couple decades. I didn't care much about Season Passes or DLC, so I'm one of the users to blame for this current predicament...but apparently, this is where I draw the line. Gating me from playing my game offline while I wait for something to become available like a free to play game is ridiculous.
Good thing EA is out of the Golf business....I could imagine them charging you actual DLC green fees to play each course as well DLC golf balls for each one you put into the water......staying WAY away from this one.

EA Access will be enough time for me.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

They'll never get a red cent out of me for this microtransaction baloney. It's stupid, and selfish, and pointless. I'd rather they just raise the price of the damn games a few bucks than the stupid nickel and dime crap. That said, in a game like this (the BF model), I'll never really know if I'm getting killed because of someone paying to win, or just because I've never been very good at this type shooter. But I enjoy playing at a clip nonetheless. But locking stuff behind a pay wall for a game I bloody payed for already is grounds for a beheading.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Teal wrote:They'll never get a red cent out of me for this microtransaction baloney. It's stupid, and selfish, and pointless. I'd rather they just raise the price of the damn games a few bucks than the stupid nickel and dime crap. That said, in a game like this (the BF model), I'll never really know if I'm getting killed because of someone paying to win, or just because I've never been very good at this type shooter. But I enjoy playing at a clip nonetheless. But locking stuff behind a pay wall for a game I bloody payed for already is grounds for a beheading.
It would be the latter for me and the microtransactions are simply egregious and ridiculous.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Microtransactions don't bother me like most people if they are done correctly and don't affect the balance of gameplay. If buying microtransactions give you an advantage in gameplay, then I will refuse to buy the game because I know it won't be fun to play for me.

Not sure how many of you hear have played Overwatch, but this is the perfect way of doing microtransactions. You are basically buying loot crates. But loot crates only consist of character skins, player icons, character sprays, and character emotes. These don't change how the game is played or change how the characters are used. Just like Forza 7, loot crates aren't mandatory nor do you have to spend any real money on them. It's kind of like a gambling system with in-game money, but doesn't affect how Forza 7 is played.

I feel bad for some of these game developers because they put a ton of work into these games but it's the top execs that prosper from a games success. You can't charge too much for a game or people don't buy it, but you don't want to split a gaming community for those that have playable content and those that don't. So I am all for those microtransactions for weapon skins, character skins, voices, ect. But I think anything that involves with how a game is played, that should be available to everyone!

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

AcemanPR wrote:Not sure how many of you hear have played Overwatch, but this is the perfect way of doing microtransactions. You are basically buying loot crates. But loot crates only consist of character skins, player icons, character sprays, and character emotes. These don't change how the game is played or change how the characters are used. Just like Forza 7, loot crates aren't mandatory nor do you have to spend any real money on them. It's kind of like a gambling system with in-game money, but doesn't affect how Forza 7 is played.
Rocket League is another (excellent) game that takes this approach. I could do without the roulette wheel nature of *what* you're going to unlock, but at least the are no game altering perks.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

vader29 wrote:
First time I've ever heard Francis not be Francis. Very good video. Agree with every word.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Pay to win system removed:
Thank you to everyone in our community for being the passionate fans that you are.

Our goal has always been to create the best possible game for all of you – devoted Star Wars fans and game players alike. We’ve also had an ongoing commitment to constantly listen, tune and evolve the experience as it grows. You’ve seen this with both the major adjustments, and polish, we have made over the past several weeks.

But as we approach the worldwide launch, it's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We’ve heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we’ve heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn’t get this right.

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

We have created a game that is built on your input, and it will continue to evolve and grow. Star Wars Battlefront II is three times the size of the previous game, bringing to life a brand new Star Wars story, space battles, epic new multiplayer experiences across all three Star Wars eras, with more free content to come. We want you to enjoy it, so please keep your thoughts coming. And we will keep you updated on our progress.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battl ... nch-update