MLB Season 2015

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2015

Post by Brando70 »

It is too bad the Pirates only got one playoff game. A series with the Cubs would have been great. But I can't see how the already long baseball season can add another 3-5 game series in it.

As for divisions, the concept is fairly antiquated in the age of modern travel and team management. Wild card berths in any sport add equability so that teams are not punished for playing in stronger divisions. It would be ridiculous to think that the Cubs and Pirates didn't advance just because they played in a harder division, especially considering how much better their records were compared to the Mets and Dodgers. Even a one-game playoff is better than no chance.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a nerve, gut wrenching game 2 between the Jays and Rangers. Losing both games at home pretty much sums it up for TOR as they were unable to solve the TEX's bullpen. Nothing more annoying that listening B. Costas call a baseball game. Crucial bad call in the 14th where Tulo clearly tags on Odor's leg when he loses contact with the bag for a second, yet he's called safe and eventually scores the winner.

You can say one game at a time now, but I don't see TOR beating TEX 3 in a row.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Brando70 wrote:It is too bad the Pirates only got one playoff game. A series with the Cubs would have been great. But I can't see how the already long baseball season can add another 3-5 game series in it.

As for divisions, the concept is fairly antiquated in the age of modern travel and team management. Wild card berths in any sport add equability so that teams are not punished for playing in stronger divisions. It would be ridiculous to think that the Cubs and Pirates didn't advance just because they played in a harder division, especially considering how much better their records were compared to the Mets and Dodgers. Even a one-game playoff is better than no chance.
I believe one has to start out with the premise that nothing is as good as measuring the quality of a team as the 162-game season. Really, it's the only accurate metric available short of esoteric things like Pythagorean wins.

The Wild Card isn't going anywhere, so I favor the one-game coin flip game because it puts the incentive back into winning a division that was lacking for the first version of the WC experiment.

Then again, I'm weird. I will defend to the death my belief that every post-season series should be best of 9 and played every day to force teams to use all of their rosters rather than the gimmicky, variation that is played in the postseason now. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Jayason Stark has an article that pretty much sums up your point of view, Rob.

Changing MLB's postseason format would be complicated
Right. Now, we live in an age where there's a price to be paid for not finishing first. We can argue over whether a one-or-done wild-card game is too steep a price. But when we start arguing about whether it's "fair," we're missing two huge points:

1) What's "fair" is that every team has 162 chances, over six months, to finish first and avoid that game.

2) The playoffs, no matter how they're structured, aren't "fair" to begin with, because postseason baseball bears so little resemblance to the 162 games that led up to it.

"Does this format give us the best chance of the best team winning? I think, if you really want to get analytical about it, no format really does," Hoyer said. "I think that ultimately, the marathon of the regular season probably tells you who the best team is most of the time. The playoffs, a lot of time, is about the hot team, what team sort of gets on a roll. Baseball is meant for the long haul. So even a seven-game series doesn't really do much to determine the best team. But it's a better format than five. Or one."

In other words, if baseball really wanted to have a format that rewarded the best team, it wouldn't have a postseason at all. But the world is a much more fun and interesting place because it does.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jays survive elimination game #2. That's it boys. One game...at a time. The bats were awesome back in Texas after struggling a bit at home and it comes down to game 5 on Wednesday. Surprise to see Gibby play Price in the relief role after Dickey had a 6 runs support and was doing rather well.

But I also understand how Rangers have a few dangerous left hand hitters and facing elimination, the manager did not want to chance it. With Lefty Cecil gone on game 1 and only one lefty left in the bullpen, I assume he wanted to play Price to guarantee a win in this crucial game.

This shows also how much confidence they have in young Marcus Stroman who will be pitching game 5 now instead of Price.

Gibby must have had the HOU-KC game in his mind and did now want to see the choke job the Astros had today.

Stroman vs Hammels, should be a great game in TOR.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Was watching SportsCenter in the gym so I couldn't hear the audio but apparently the Texas governor tweeted congratulations to the Astros when they were up by 4 runs but the game wasn't over?

And the Royals proceeded to come back and beat the Astros, forcing a game 5?

Baseball jinx.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I have never seen Wrigley field so energized ever. I go back to the late 70s there. I guess this new fandom is good.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Cubs woo!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Not a Cubs fan by any stretch but happy for all my friends and feel kind of bad for St. Louis people, the only thing they had to make their miserable lives better was the Cardinals :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Danimal wrote:Not a Cubs fan by any stretch but happy for all my friends and feel kind of bad for St. Louis people, the only thing they had to make their miserable lives better was the Cardinals :D
Worse for me, in that I'm a Chiefs and Kansas fan in addition to the Cards (probably not worse than being a Rams and Mizzou fan :-P ).

Oh well. Let's Go Blues!
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

So relieved. I don't think I could survive a playoff elimination to the %ucking Cardinals.

Glad the other series is going 5. Wear down those arms a bit more. Increase the odds of an injury. As good as the Mets young pitching is, I'd rather not see Greinke/Kershaw in the next round. HoF caliber players don't muddle through the postseason forever. Eventually water seeks its level, as Kershaw showed tonight. Plus the chance to beat the Cards and the Mets in one playoff run would go a long way towards exorcising some of the demons of my childhood.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

So relieved. I don't think I could survive a playoff elimination to the %ucking Cardinals.

Glad the other series is going 5. Wear down those arms a bit more. Increase the odds of an injury. As good as the Mets young pitching is, I'd rather not see Greinke/Kershaw in the next round. HoF caliber players don't muddle through the postseason forever. Eventually water seeks its level, as Kershaw showed tonight. Plus the chance to beat the Cards and the Mets in one playoff run would go a long way towards exorcising some of the demons of my childhood.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:So relieved. I don't think I could survive a playoff elimination to the %ucking Cardinals.

Unfortunately you're going to be disappointed I think. With so many kids on the roster I still think the Cubs are at least a year or two away from legitimate aspirations. You can call it youthful ignorance or whatever, but i have a feeling they are going to tighten up next round. Especially if Jake only pitches "good" like he did last game.

I'm rooting for you guys, that's for sure. My whole fam is from the Chicago area so it would exercise everyone's demons!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I don't need the Cubs to win the series just make it to the series for me to win a most improbable bet I made 3 years ago. Thanks Doc Brown!
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

f*** off Cubs!

:lol:

Good luck in the next round! I don't like the Mets or the Dodgers.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

We'll see if Gibby's questionable move to play D. Price in the 6th inning while the Jays were winning 7-1 on game 4 backfires on him. The team just lost the last left handed relief pitcher in A. Loup leaving only Price available. With guys like Hamilton, Odor, Fielder and Choo ready to pound on the left side, he may not have a choice but play him again in the relief role. And I don't think he's available tonight.

I know I didn't like the decision. Decisive game tonight, hoping Marcus Stroman will rock the house.

Go Jays!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:So relieved. I don't think I could survive a playoff elimination to the %ucking Cardinals.

Unfortunately you're going to be disappointed I think. With so many kids on the roster I still think the Cubs are at least a year or two away from legitimate aspirations. You can call it youthful ignorance or whatever, but i have a feeling they are going to tighten up next round. Especially if Jake only pitches "good" like he did last game.

I'm rooting for you guys, that's for sure. My whole fam is from the Chicago area so it would exercise everyone's demons!
I'm not going to be disappointed because I've gotten more than my fill of joy out of this team this season.

OTOH, I think the entire idea of postseason experience as having value has been pretty much discredited, especially in the extended format that they use now. Kids have 30 AB's before they reach the LCS now.

I don't disagree about their being at less than their peak with this team, but history is replete with teams winning before they "should." More worryingly, it's also rich with examples of teams that were supposed to go on extended runs over years having one bite at the apple before flaming out. So I'll enjoy it while I can.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Jays games has been absolutely nuts.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Helluva game 5 for sure. I haven't been so uptight, stressed and relieved at the same time within the same inning. It was a game within the game. That crucial 7th inning lasted almost an hour with all the controversy until Jose put the game away for good. Tremendous comeback to say the least, the odds weren't good at all for them losing the first two games and going into enemy territory yet they did it the hardest way possible.

One game at the time, I kept saying.

The match up with the Royals is going to be a war too, both teams don't like each other much and there was a lot of crap during the regular season when they faced each other.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Watched Jays/Rangers game 5 from the right field bleachers...wow. I'm still shaking the next day from excitement. Most intense sporting event I've ever seen. So many talking points, so many emotional moments. Bring on K.C.!

*flips computer keyboard*

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

That Jays game was nuts. And best bat flip I've seen in a long time. I really want a Cubs/Jays series, the longball potential would be insane.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Dodgers still can't get out of the first round. Mets Cubs old school series.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just a great round of playoffs almost all of them going the distance and plenty of drama.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

No team I hate more than the Dodgers, so I'm cool w/ the outcome. Consistent chokers, that's for sure. It's time for Mattingly to go. And their entire outfield.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

ive seen this movie before. It's going to be hard to score on the starting mets pitchers.