MLB Season 2015

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2015

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:That Pirates vs. Cubs one game playoff is going to be fun to watch!
Who cares about those butt munches! ;)

What a division this is... been a fun season watching these teams.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I'm sensing it's going to be the Cardinals nation worse nightmare. A Cubs and Royals world series. :lol: I think I'm actually hoping for that just to see the Cardinal nation reaction! I don't even give a damn! The puck drops this Wednesday, that's all that matters to me in October!!!
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

tjung0831 wrote:I'm sensing it's going to be the Cardinals nation worse nightmare. A Cubs and Royals world series. :lol: I think I'm actually hoping for that just to see the Cardinal nation reaction! I don't even give a damn! The puck drops this Wednesday, that's all that matters to me in October!!!
C'mon.. it's the Cubs.. they will lose to the Pirates in the one game playoff. :)

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

MizzouRah wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:I'm sensing it's going to be the Cardinals nation worse nightmare. A Cubs and Royals world series. :lol: I think I'm actually hoping for that just to see the Cardinal nation reaction! I don't even give a damn! The puck drops this Wednesday, that's all that matters to me in October!!!
C'mon.. it's the Cubs.. they will lose to the Pirates in the one game playoff. :)
I am really excited to see the Cubs playing in the postseason but terrified it's a one-game playoff. Especially considering Jake Arrieta has been almost unhittable for 3 months, elevating the confidence levels that maybe THIS is the year to almost Icarus heights.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Brando70 wrote:
I am really excited to see the Cubs playing in the postseason but terrified it's a one-game playoff. Especially considering Jake Arrieta has been almost unhittable for 3 months, elevating the confidence levels that maybe THIS is the year to almost Icarus heights.
Should be a GREAT game for sure.. Gerrit Cole is no slouch either. :) Arrieta has been scary good.. like Kershaw and Greinke good.

Cardinals scare me with their SP.. we don't have a top horse like those two teams.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Bye bye Yankees...Great pitching by Dallas.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

As much as I enjoy a quick exit from the Yankees the one game wild card playoff is a damn joke. Three games minimum.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:As much as I enjoy a quick exit from the Yankees the one game wild card playoff is a damn joke. Three games minimum.
Agree. They missed some key guys and best of 3 at least is the proper way to advance to the next round. They had a solid year all around but in the end, their veterans just ran out of steam towards the end of the season.

I don't want to see the Cubs leave so early either.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah but the team which survives a mini 3 game series may be disadvantaged for the next series, in terms of its pitching lineup.

Would be tough to have to pitch your 3rd or 4th starter against a division winner's ace.

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

That's fine, they won the wild card and should be at a disadvantage. One game is silly. How about a three game series in the ballpark of the team with the better record and then the division series starts the next day? Make it hard as hell for the wild card but at least make it fair if you're letting two teams have the wild card.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:As much as I enjoy a quick exit from the Yankees the one game wild card playoff is a damn joke. Three games minimum.
The whole system is a joke, take the top X number of teams in the NL and AL. f*** the traditionalists, they will all be dead soon anyway.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

The NHL and NBA playoffs are not something to model. Ugh!

I don't mind the one game Wildcard playoff. They are f***in wildcards. The game is not designed to see who is better, it is to force them to waste their #1 pitcher before the real playoffs start, giving the top seed an actual advantage over the wildcard scrub team. If a wildcard team wants more games, win the f***in division and stop crying.

That said, I'd roll with Bob Costas' wildcard plan, which is not only to make it a best out of three, but to make the first two games a double header. Burn up as much of their pitching as possible before entering the playoffs.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Aristo wrote:The NHL and NBA playoffs are not something to model. Ugh!

I don't mind the one game Wildcard playoff. They are f***in wildcards. The game is not designed to see who is better, it is to force them to waste their #1 pitcher before the real playoffs start, giving the top seed an actual advantage over the wildcard scrub team. If a wildcard team wants more games, win the f***in division and stop crying.

That said, I'd roll with Bob Costas' wildcard plan, which is not only to make it a best out of three, but to make the first two games a double header. Burn up as much of their pitching as possible before entering the playoffs.
Yet in this case the two wild card teams had better records than the the other two division winners. 98 and 97 wins aren't exactly what I would call scrub teams.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Tell me why shouldn't the teams with the best records get into the post season and be seeded that way? What is the division model doing that makes it so great? Or is your only response Ugh?
Follow Me on:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Winning you division should be the first step towards finding the best team in any sport. We aren't looking for a group of teams, just one. You've spent 82 games in hockey and basketball and 162 games establishing that you are superior than the other teams in your division. The only reason MLB needs wildcards is to balance the playoffs since they have there divisions.

There is no reason for the NFL to have wildcards either. They have four divisions. Let them playoff and go to the Super Bowl. No also-rans needed. The wildcard only came into play in the NFL when they had three divisions and needed on. Then they got greedy and expanded them.

For baseball to mimic the NBA and NHL, they would have to add another three teams, and add another week to the season, as though they don't start too early and finish too late now. That means the 81-80 Indians get in along with the 79-83 Diamondbacks. Do we really need to add a week to the playoffs to watch them?

In other words, "Ugh!"

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

ScoopBrady wrote:

Yet in this case the two wild card teams had better records than the the other two division winners. 98 and 97 wins aren't exactly what I would call scrub teams.
True. This is a weird year. But both teams has their chance to win the division, and they failed. Because MLB went with three divisions instead, they get a second shot. And because that second shot sucks compared to winning the division, they fought to the end to take St. Louis out. If you add three teams to each league, you would have the best teams coasting to the end for longer. Under the current system, the last few weeks had a lot of tight races.

I guess it would be fun waiting on pins and needles to see if Cleveland could hold off Tampa Bay and Baltimore. /s

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

But adding the wild card teams have improved attendance and ratings.

Or at least they did the first few years they added them. Now with WS ratings down maybe that is no longer the case.

Wild cards have won it all so one game doesn't tilt th field too much against the WC teams.

But if they have to play 3 or even 2 games, I suspect their chances decline, maybe too much to make them competitive in the next series.

One tradition in the playoffs is a pitcher getting hot and dominating a series or the whole post season.

Maybe that isn't worth preserving?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Aristo wrote:Winning you division should be the first step towards finding the best team in any sport. We aren't looking for a group of teams, just one. You've spent 82 games in hockey and basketball and 162 games establishing that you are superior than the other teams in your division. The only reason MLB needs wildcards is to balance the playoffs since they have there divisions.
While nicely written and with passion, I didn't see you present any reason why winning a division matters. There are many factors (revenue, injuries, schedule, divisional strength) that can make you better than teams in your division but not better than other teams in your league that aren't accounted for in the divisional system. Especially a 3 division system that isn't really based on anything.
There is no reason for the NFL to have wildcards either. They have four divisions. Let them playoff and go to the Super Bowl. No also-rans needed. The wildcard only came into play in the NFL when they had three divisions and needed on. Then they got greedy and expanded them.
While this has nothing to do with my point, I agree. Wild cards are about money plain and simple.
For baseball to mimic the NBA and NHL, they would have to add another three teams, and add another week to the season, as though they don't start too early and finish too late now. That means the 81-80 Indians get in along with the 79-83 Diamondbacks. Do we really need to add a week to the playoffs to watch them?
In other words, "Ugh!"
That' a pretty odd assumption, you could easily just pick the 4 best teams. There is no need to expand it at all. The only reason for expansion is more money. In fact getting rid of divisions opens up a more balanced schedules and alleviates your 3 division problem.

You add in no salary cap in baseball and the inability to be flexible on anything like schedule length, the silly all-star game thing etc and you can see why the sport is slowly dying. Baseball is trying to artificially create excitement where it doesn't exist and it fails at every attempt it makes.

I'm not even a Cubs fan but imagine if there was one wild card, a 97(?) win team would be left out of post season play. This isn't the first time it has happened, I can't recall who but wasn't it the Giant who won 100+ games and didn't make the post season?

Of course the traditionalist will simply say "Well you should of won your division" because you know that make a lot of sense.
Follow Me on:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

While nicely written and with passion, I didn't see you present any reason why winning a division matters. There are many factors (revenue, injuries, schedule, divisional strength) that can make you better than teams in your division but not better than other teams in your league that aren't accounted for in the divisional system. Especially a 3 division system that isn't really based on anything.
Because it is a playoff, not a tournament. Since you play more games within your division, that is a fair first step to eliminate potential champions. You then take what's left, division winners, and play them off to find one champion.
That' a pretty odd assumption, you could easily just pick the 4 best teams. There is no need to expand it at all. The only reason for expansion is more money. In fact getting rid of divisions opens up a more balanced schedules and alleviates your 3 division problem.

You add in no salary cap in baseball and the inability to be flexible on anything like schedule length, the silly all-star game thing etc and you can see why the sport is slowly dying. Baseball is trying to artificially create excitement where it doesn't exist and it fails at every attempt it makes.

I'm not even a Cubs fan but imagine if there was one wild card, a 97(?) win team would be left out of post season play. This isn't the first time it has happened, I can't recall who but wasn't it the Giant who won 100+ games and didn't make the post season?

Fair enough on not needing to expand. but if I had two divisions, I see even less reason to give teams that failed to win their division a second chance to win a championship.
again, it's a playoff, not a tournament.

Baseball is dying because the average fan wants more excitement per minute than baseball provides. It has nothing to do with that other stuff you mention. It's why baseball games sell like crap to other sports. And really, I don't think baseball is dying, but it is falling behind other sports.

I really don't care if the fans that only wanted to see andro pumped bodybuilders hit home runs move on. There are plenty to support the sport as it is. I like the sport, and where it ranks on popularity is only important if you have money invested. I don't.

As for the Cubs, I support two wildcards as the league is put together. So I'm not suggesting anything to keep them out. If MLB wants to expand the wildcard round, then make it a double header on day one, both leagues playing games from 11am to 11pm. Then, if anyone fails to win two games, let them play on day 2. Day 3 starts the Playoffs.

I like playoffs. I like the pennant chase. Yeah, it's traditional, but it also works. I'd rather expand by two and have four divisions, but I could live with going back to two divisions and one round of playoffs before the World Series, too.

And really, if you go with the NBA and NHL models, and just go with four teams, you know what the result will be. It will be just like the NBA and NHL, where more teams are added in to bring in more money and water down the over experience.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

At least the pirates are feisty and not rolling over like the Yankees. This is way more entertaining for sure. And AL baseball is terrible.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

wasn't MLB talking about doing the NBA/NHL versions where they would get rid of divisions and have one league and top 4 get in? Did that not get approved?

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Inuyasha wrote:wasn't MLB talking about doing the NBA/NHL versions where they would get rid of divisions and have one league and top 4 get in? Did that not get approved?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

cubs won, wow.

btw when did cubs fans get so annoying? or is that fandom nowadays for every pro team?

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Inuyasha wrote:wasn't MLB talking about doing the NBA/NHL versions where they would get rid of divisions and have one league and top 4 get in? Did that not get approved?
It was easy to vote down since it didn't exist.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

it did exist. i remember watching the debate about it on PTI last year. I guess it didnt fly.