MLB Season 2015

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2015

Post by MizzouRah »

Heyward has a groin injury.. not a good day for us STL fans.

I'm happy for Shelby though!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

don't know if any Houston Astros fans on the site. Being they were ticketed for last place, and have an 11-game win streak, took it they were worthy of a post.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That Shelby Miller kid is pretty good. 5-1 w a mlb leading 1.33era. I'll take it...and he's only half of the trade that came over for chronic underachiever Heyward.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:That Shelby Miller kid is pretty good. 5-1 w a mlb leading 1.33era. I'll take it...and he's only half of the trade that came over for chronic underachiever Heyward.
I'm so happy for Shelby. He really needed a change of scenery and so far, Atlanta has been a great place for him. I always got the feeling LaRussa and Matheny had some sort of grudge against him for whatever reason. They love Choate though, LOL!
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It looks like game scores as well as HR's have come down since the steroid shakeout. You guys who follow the MLB do you think guys are still using steroids or has baseball fixed the problem?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Cards, why would you hack into Astros' account?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Looks like the NY Mets got themselves a duel threat rookie pitcher. MLB debut he goes 3-3 with 4 RBI's, impressive. 8O

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Tulowitzki for Reyes. Message to AA. While I welcome the trade, we need more pitching help not more offense. Damn Yankees keep on winning, we need more arms to keep up with them. Reyes has been OK this season but has been making some costly errors which cost the team some sure wins.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:Tulowitzki for Reyes. Message to AA. While I welcome the trade, we need more pitching help not more offense. Damn Yankees keep on winning, we need more arms to keep up with them. Reyes has been OK this season but has been making some costly errors which cost the team some sure wins.
Certainly wasn't worth the price the Jays paid, along with the money owed to Tulo. Hate paying for guys that can't really stay on the field. He's been okay this year but he's also taken quite a few days off. We'll see how that turf affects him as well.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
10spro wrote:Tulowitzki for Reyes. Message to AA. While I welcome the trade, we need more pitching help not more offense. Damn Yankees keep on winning, we need more arms to keep up with them. Reyes has been OK this season but has been making some costly errors which cost the team some sure wins.
Certainly wasn't worth the price the Jays paid, along with the money owed to Tulo. Hate paying for guys that can't really stay on the field. He's been okay this year but he's also taken quite a few days off. We'll see how that turf affects him as well.
Not to worried about the turf, which I think it's being overblown a bit. That fake grass is much better than yesteryears, do players prefer the real thing, absolutely. Reyes can't stay 100% healthy either as proven during his years with the Jays and if you go per season he's being payed more than Tulo, with the former Rockie having a longer term.

I think AA has something more before the trade deadline, the team still needs a closing arm, tired of seeing overblown leads, anything that would upgrade the bullpen. We'll see...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Oh boy...Price to Toronto is almost done. That's a HUGE pickup for a pitching starved team that can mash. Look out.

And if the Braves complete this trade that's rumored w/ the Dodgers and Marlins, I'm quitting baseball for the year. What a horrible horrible trade. Yes, Oliveras might turn out to be awesome, but you don't not mortgage your future (Wood and Peraza) for a guy that is already 30 on a team that won't contend for at least two more years. I don't understand it at all.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Another Godzilla deal for the Jays. They get D. Price from the Tigers if they don't make the playoffs this year, they never will. Now, does GM AA have any good prospects left for a closer? A great debut for Tulo last night going 3 for 5.

Feeling excited.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Tulo trade: Not sure how you can fault that move. They were basically looking to dump Reyes and his contract and had to give up one high pitching prospect and one medium pitching prospect. In return, they have arguably the best ss in the game locked up for many years. Always an injury risk sure, but worth the cost IMO. Anthopolous has done a great job ensuring that there's a good core after Bautista/Encarnacion possibly leave after next year - R. Martin, J. Donaldson, T. Tulowitzki and D. Travis...amazing defense and great bats.

Price trade: Now finding out that Alford (great CF prospect) is not in the deal, I'm pretty thrilled with this one as well.

Even after all of this, I still feel the need to keep refreshing mlbtraderumors.com every few minutes! Can't sleep on our GM, that's for sure.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

And considering what KC had to pay for Cueto, I rather get Price for those 3 pitching prospects even though Norris can be stud in a very near future.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

And the atrocious Braves trade is complete. What a disaster. Wow.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A sweep of the Yankees in their own stadium just feels oh soooo good. Blue Jays cut their division lead to 1 1/2 what at one point everyone was crowning NY already division champs. And it's not just a sweep, it's the way they did it, by keeping them scoreless in the last 26 innings and by bombing them with the hottest offense in the league.

The acquisition of D. Price just made everyone else in the bullpen much better.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Phils 16-5 since break. Best in the bigs. No playoffs but sure as hell fun to watch.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Biggest payroll ever but underachieving given probably the two leading candidates for the NL Cy Young (and maybe MVP for Kershaw again), the Dodgers either have to win their division or catch up in the wild card.

So the assumption is that they won't make noise in the playoffs.

As a Giants fan though, I have an uneasy feeling that in any short series, their 1-2 combo is going to be almost unbeatable.

Yes I know they've never done it in the playoffs but it's inconceivable that the way they've been picking all season will disappear in the playoffs. Especially some of the generous strike zones they're getting, somewhat reminiscent of Glavine and Maddux in their primes.

Or that one year where the umps lost their minds with what they let Livan Hernandez get away with in the playoffs.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Diablo25 wrote:Phils 16-5 since break. Best in the bigs. No playoffs but sure as hell fun to watch.
Pittsburgh fans must be school girl giddy then.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The last time the Jays made it to the playoffs I was well, still living in Toronto. Some 22 years. It's been that long. Not only they are back in the dance this year but also on a verge of clinging their division after trailing much of the season behind the Yankees. Just before the AS break they were some 9 games behind NY and it all started to change after that. Of course staying healthy was a huge plus something that they were unable to do the past 3-4 years even though they always had the bats.

The acquisition of D. Price was huge of course and the bullpen was fortified. When the season began, Marcus Stroman arguably their best pitcher torn his ACL. Here we again right? Not only this guy worked hard to be back in the game after being told that he would be unable to return this year, he's expected to carry this team deep into the playoffs.

If we can get Tulo on board soon, this will be a fun playoffs run. With the Yankees losing last night to BOS, they can win their division tonight and the best overall record is there to take as well.

Go Jays!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

That Pirates vs. Cubs one game playoff is going to be fun to watch!

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

sportdan30 wrote:That Pirates vs. Cubs one game playoff is going to be fun to watch!
Really pumped for it. My brother is driving 5+ hours into Chicagoland to watch it here with a bunch of us. As much as I want the Cubs to win, it's a shame that the Pirates or Cubs only get one game, the playoffs would be better if they both could have a full series to play.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Hey 10spro! What a day!

Can't wait to raise that 2015 AL East Banner.

Besides just winning the division, I'm just in dreamland about HOW they did it.

-Scoring a gazillion runs...I mean really, it's not fair what they can do. Plus they do it with "oomph"...i.e. second deck shots.
-Sellout 50,000 crowds every night at Rogers Centre. Didn't think I'd see that again!
-Just great stories all around. Marcus Stroman anyone? Incredible injury recovery and has dominated in 4 starts since returning.

Anyways, I could type all day.

What do you think 10spro? Price Game 1, Dickey Game 2, Stroman Game 3, Estrada Game 4 (with Buerhle available)?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:Hey 10spro! What a day!

Can't wait to raise that 2015 AL East Banner.

Besides just winning the division, I'm just in dreamland about HOW they did it.

-Scoring a gazillion runs...I mean really, it's not fair what they can do. Plus they do it with "oomph"...i.e. second deck shots.
-Sellout 50,000 crowds every night at Rogers Centre. Didn't think I'd see that again!
-Just great stories all around. Marcus Stroman anyone? Incredible injury recovery and has dominated in 4 starts since returning.

Anyways, I could type all day.

What do you think 10spro? Price Game 1, Dickey Game 2, Stroman Game 3, Estrada Game 4 (with Buerhle available)?
It was hilarious watching all the players wearing Oakleys as they were doused with the sparkling stuff. When Stroman went down before the beginning of the season (don't forget M. Saunders too out for the year), I thought 'Here we go again'. The goal was to make the playoffs right? Easier said than done when you're playing in the Eastern division. They always had the hot bats but they couldn't hold off their leads with their shaky bullpen at the beginning of the year.

Then they run into an 11 win streak before the AS break only to be playing so so again, there was so much inconsistency in the bullpen. The Yankees were always on top, Orioles and Rays hanging around.

But when AA went out of his way to get D. Price, the whole bullpen started to turn around. Guys like Hendricks, Cecil, the youngsters Sanchez and Osuna.

Trading the error prone Reyes for Tulowitzky was another brilliant move by AA. They just have to get him a couple of games now before the weekend, but in his absence Goins have been amazing. Ditto can be said on Kevin Pillar controlling CF in Saunders' absence.

Yeah, it's exciting times for Blue Jays fans. Who would want to pitch to a trio involving Donaldson-Bautista-Encarnacion in the heat of the playoffs?

The starting pitchers that you mentioned is the one I would go with. People may say why Dickey, but pitching his knuckleball right after the opposition sees Price's fastball is the right combination. Stroman with his miraculous come back and Estrada. If any of these guys struggle, then you still have Buerhle and Hutchison.

I just hope that Osuna can close out the games as he's been doing, but his young age is what concerns me a bit once the big dance starts.

Exciting times in Canada, the whole country is pulling for the Jays. If the last time they were in the playoffs they also won the WS, why not this year. :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »