MLB Season 2015

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB Season 2015

Post by Danimal »

Cubs fans this morning back to their perpetual doom & gloom. Some times you have a good team and the other team plays better and beats you.... It happens. I was actually pulling for them because of my bet but I don't think i can stomach listening to their fans if they make the World Series.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

It sucks because intellectually I know the Cubs overachieved and the playoff experience, regardless of the outcome, will help this team in future years. They should be a contending team for a while.

But this being the Cubs, things have gone wrong so many times that it's hard not to feel a sense of "here we go again." The Mets are just outplaying them. Their pitching has been fantastic and they have done a great job getting to the Cubs aces early.

The good thing is that this Cubs team doesn't seem to get shaken very easy. I think they'll make a good show at Wrigley the next three games.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Cubs have a lot of young players with promising futures.

But I wouldn't take it for granted that they'll make runs in the playoffs repeatedly for the next several years.

A few years ago, Texas looked like a juggernaut. Then the Tigers. They got a huge payroll but then little by little, the players were unable to repeat their performances and these teams were unable to return to the WS.

Baseball seems to have reached parity, despite the big disparity in payrolls (though generally, the low payroll teams have not broken through, like all those A's teams). No team is able to sustain a dynasty for a good 3-5 year stretch. Giants have won 3 times in 5 years but they're not a dynasty, because the years in-between, they had big drop offs.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

wco81 wrote:Giants have won 3 times in 5 years but they're not a dynasty, because the years in-between, they had big drop offs.
Winning 3 titles in 5 years isn't a Dynasty? Is that catfish logic?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Now that's the meek pathetic cubs fan I'm use to :)

I don't feel any heartbreak so far this series. The mets pitching is just better. Hard to make excuses or blame the Billy goat when your being shutdown by good pitching.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It's not a must win game for the Jays just yet...but it is a MUST win game tonight.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro wrote:It's not a must win game for the Jays just yet...but it is a MUST win game tonight.
10's are you somehow related to Yogi Berra? :)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

And win they did. Huge win. Thing is, Royals can hit too and when it comes to the 6th and 7th inning stretch, their bullpen is rock solid. Better than TOR which allowed a few late runs when the game was out of reach and also faltered in game 2.

The bats came hard swinging tonight. Royals are a very patient hitting team and Jays will have to continue to hit the ball out of the park to advance to the next round.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:Cubs fans this morning back to their perpetual doom & gloom. Some times you have a good team and the other team plays better and beats you.... It happens. I was actually pulling for them because of my bet but I don't think i can stomach listening to their fans if they make the World Series.
You're telling me. :( 14 of 15 seasons in the 90s-2000s. LOL.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Danimal wrote:Cubs fans this morning back to their perpetual doom & gloom. Some times you have a good team and the other team plays better and beats you.... It happens. I was actually pulling for them because of my bet but I don't think i can stomach listening to their fans if they make the World Series.
You're telling me. :( 14 of 15 seasons in the 90s-2000s. LOL.
Repeat as needed: "The postseason does not determine the best baseball team." Learn it. Know it. Live it.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:Repeat as needed: "The postseason does not determine the best baseball team." Learn it. Know it. Live it.
That's tattooed on my ass. That's how strongly I feel about that statement. Again, the Braves should have about 5 WS titles in that run of 15 years if the best team won even half the time. At least they got one. Thank god.

All that said, it seems like the young Cubbies are getting a little tight. As much as you say youth doesn't matter, it does. At least a little bit.

Before the Cubs/Mets series started I thought the Cubs had a good shot because the Mets have ZERO bullpen, but it doesn't much matter when the starters are so dominant. Ugh. Hopefully they wake up at Wrigley.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The irony is that the Cubs hit much better away than at Wrigley this season. That has as much to do with the nature of hitting at Wrigley than anything, but I don't know if coming back will wake up their bats.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
All that said, it seems like the young Cubbies are getting a little tight. As much as you say youth doesn't matter, it does. At least a little bit.
Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't. Kind of hard for me to draw a sweeping conclusion about a team's psychological condition from 2 games pitched by 2 of the game's best young starters. They actually squared up Harvey a few times and didn't seem to be letting the occasion get to them in Game 1. Game 2, they just couldn't touch the guy, which is nothing too surprising.

A young team succeeds and they're loose and taking advantage of their naivete. A young team fails and they're not handling the big stage. I think both are post hoc narratives that don't really have anything to do with why the team succeeds or fails.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Is the Mets starting rotation as good as the '91 Braves?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Rodster wrote:Is the Mets starting rotation as good as the '91 Braves?
No. Braves nearly 10 wins above replacement better than the Mets.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Is the Mets starting rotation as good as the '91 Braves?
'91 w/o Maddux? The '93 to '95 rotation w/ Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery and Merker in '95 were the best IMO. Not coincidentally that's the year they won the ONE World Series.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a woopass beating by the Royals. :evil: Jays bullpen can't match up with KC.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I haven't watched the Mets pitchers a lot but they seem to be more about velocity whereas Maddux and Glavine needed pinpoint placement and a generous strike zone -- some of the strike calls they got were infamous for being so ridiculous.

However, those guys piled up victories in the regular season that few pitchers with more impressive arms will ever match.

When playoffs have been dominated by pitchers in the past, it's usually been hard throwers like Beckett early in his career or Baumgardner last year. Herscheiser didn't heat up the radar gun but he had ridiculous movement and placement on his pitches.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Mets schooling Cubs on how to play baseball in the playoffs.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

The pressure of not reaching the World Series for 70 years gets to another Cubs team. Stick a fork in 'em.
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

1 more... #Mets #yougottabelieve

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

bulls23 wrote:The pressure of not reaching the World Series for 70 years gets to another Cubs team. Stick a fork in 'em.

typical know nothing cards fan. :lol: didnt see any posts from him last series did we!

these players don't give a hoot about 70 years. if you are watching this series and think that's why they're losing then i prove my point about you. the reason they're losing is the mets pitching and ability to generate runs playoff style! mets showing the cubs how you win in the playoffs.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Inuyasha wrote:

typical know nothing cards fan.
We know how to win the division.. and the World Series. :lol:
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

typical know nothing cards fan.
We know how to win the division.. and the World Series. :lol:
http://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/i ... ar-season/

Yup.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

World Series titles (11)

2011 2006 1982 1967 1964 1946 1944 1942 1934 1931 1926

NL Pennants (19)

2013 2011 2006 2004 1987 1985 1982 1968 1967 1964 1946 1944 1943 1942 1934 1931 1930 1928 1926

AA Pennants (4)

1888 1887 1886 1885

Central Division titles (10)

2015 2014 2013 2009 2006 2005 2004 2002 2000 1996

Yup.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971