Nintendo Unveils the 3DS

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Nintendo Unveils the 3DS

Post by Rodster »

Looking forward to hearing more info on this. Ninty says it doesn't require any 3D glasses and it's compatible with ALL DS games sold past and present. I'm definitely buying one of these if it turns out to be what they say is true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8582438.stm

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Isn't the DSI XL debuting soon? This announcement I imagine will slow sales for the XL. Seems strange this news is coming out now instead of a few months from now.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yep. Pretty strange. I think it's the 28th of March for the DSi XL--my mom, oddly enough, is bonkers over the DS and has one reserved.

warnerwlf98
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by warnerwlf98 »

A 3D Nintendo system immediately brought this thing to mind . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Nintendo Unveils the 3DS

Post by fanatic »

After initially being very excited for the 3DS, I think I can safely say that I'll pass on this piece of technology for now.

Reason #1 is the overall feeling that the 3DS will be mostly be offering re-hashed Nintendo/3rd party games with 3D effects. Not the worst idea in the world, but not fresh enough for me.

Other reasons:

-The price....At around $300 plus $50+ for games (from what it looks like), you're looking at pretty crappy value compared to the iPad for example, where I can download some seriously engaging titles that cost anywhere from .99 cents to $10. I can't imagine dropping $500+ so that I can play Ocarina of Time and Professor Layton in 3D. I want to play these games, but it just sounds crazy.

-Region locked....one of the cool things about the DS was the option to play ultra-unique Japanese games. Not anymore

-Battery life...3-5 hours! And then 3 hours to charge again? Wow.

Is it a given that this thing will sell like hotcakes?

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I am always tempted, and the launch lineup is pretty big, but I am thinking pass too. At least at first.

3D in and of itself isn't a big selling point for me. Nice touch, but needs to be coupled with something more.

3-5 hours battery life is very poor too. I am assuming games will be $30-40, but I just don't see the investment paying off. For instance I'm certainly not paying full price to play a 3D version of a 13 year old Zelda game. I enjoyed Star Fox on DS, but how many times am I going to play more or less the same game of Star Fox, Mario Kart, etc... Kid Icarus looks underwhelming too.

The only thing that really caught my eye is Winning Eleven. A 3D version with PS2/Xbox quality gameplay on the go would be pretty sweet. Just have to wait and see on how much processing juice this thing actually has--the trailers paint a mixed picture of what to expect. Maybe it will look better when they release hardware v2 in 2012/2013.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

I'm intrigued and look forward to tjungin it, but the price of entry is too high to justify a purchase from me, at least early on.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

The more I think about the price point, the more I think surely Nintendo will release it in the USA at 249 or a bit less. The pricing in Japan is usually not the same as it is in the US. Nintendo has a golden chance here to get a huge jump on the next-gen handheld market and releasing a handheld at the same price as a console is risky. If they release the 3DS at 229-249, and make the games 39.99, then I think it will sell well.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm intrigued/hyped for this machine. 3D games without glasses, internet access, a nice screen all equals an immediate buy for me but if it's sold at any more than $249 i'll wait and see what the PSP2 looks like and what price Sony chooses to sell it at.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I'm jumping in, already pre-ordered at Gamestop (though it gave me shivers going in there). Battery is a mild concern, but it'll get me through the commute, crapper time, and most flights. If I love the thing I'll take advantage of some kind of trade-in towards the next hardware revision.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Slumberland wrote:I'm jumping in, already pre-ordered at Gamestop (though it gave me shivers going in there). Battery is a mild concern, but it'll get me through the commute, crapper time, and most flights. If I love the thing I'll take advantage of some kind of trade-in towards the next hardware revision.
I wish they would just launch a 3DS XL from the get-go lol. I usually play my handhelds at home, so portability is not a huge concern of mine. I really like the DSi XL screens, so it will be tough going back to smaller screens on the 3DS if I decide to get one. I know a XL version of the 3DS is a long way off, if it even ever happens, but it sure would be nice to have one.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

toonarmy wrote:
Slumberland wrote:I'm jumping in, already pre-ordered at Gamestop (though it gave me shivers going in there). Battery is a mild concern, but it'll get me through the commute, crapper time, and most flights. If I love the thing I'll take advantage of some kind of trade-in towards the next hardware revision.
I wish they would just launch a 3DS XL from the get-go lol. I usually play my handhelds at home, so portability is not a huge concern of mine. I really like the DSi XL screens, so it will be tough going back to smaller screens on the 3DS if I decide to get one. I know a XL version of the 3DS is a long way off, if it even ever happens, but it sure would be nice to have one.
Crap, thanks Toon, looks like i'll wait for the 3DS XL revision lol. :lol:

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Rodster wrote:
toonarmy wrote:
Crap, thanks Toon, looks like i'll wait for the 3DS XL revision lol. :lol:
Dude, you're way better off waiting for the 3DSiXLlite.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Speaking of the DS, if anyone is looking for a cool puzzle/mystery type game, "Ghost Trick" is a great choice (just released).

You start the game by realizing you have just been murdered and are able to possess inanimate objects in order to investigate what happened to you. Great concept and well executed in that quirky, artsy Japanese type of way. One of the better DS titles for sure.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Big 3DS conference this morning. No real news yet.

Hadn't heard of Madden 3D before, and there will be friend codes again, but on a per system level.

EDIT: March 27, $250.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Naples39 wrote:Big 3DS conference this morning. No real news yet.

Hadn't heard of Madden 3D before, and there will be friend codes again, but on a per system level.

I'm turning 40 on March 27 -- maybe I'll celebrate by picking up Madden 3DS and driving over it with a tractor.

Here are some old screens of the game from back in November -- doesn't look too good to my eyes, maybe 3D will make a difference (doubt it):

http://www.theangryspark.com/2010/11/ma ... reens.html

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Naples39 wrote:Big 3DS conference this morning. No real news yet.

Price was just what I expected. Expensive no doubt, but justifiable considering the 3D trend and success of the Wii. I'm not sure what type of Wii-3DS communication is possible, but potential is there I guess, especially with Mii's, etc...

Naples- you were right about Winning Eleven 3D. It could definitely justify a purchase. Paper Mario 3D would be cool as well.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Heard the battery life may be questionable.

I'm sure they will sell out the first several shipments though. And then someone will put the 3D screens on smart phones or some kind of mobile device. But of course they won't have the Nintendo games.

Maybe a 3DS Lite a year after launch will have better battery life.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Gamespot has some hands-on impressions of Madden:

http://www.gamespot.com/3ds/sports/madd ... e=previews

Who's Making It: While EA Tiburon is the team behind the console Madden games and, thus, the lead developers behind the franchise, Madden 3DS is being developed by a smaller studio a couple states away in EA North Carolina.

What It Looks Like: Madden 3DS bears a striking similarity to recent Wii versions of the game, right on down to the exaggerated player models. At least, we’re pretty sure those are exaggerated player models. Tom Brady could very well have given himself the physique of a rhinoceros within the past few weeks and we just didn’t notice. But it seems unlikely.

How It Uses 3D: There’s not really any one element of the screen that jumps out at you when you take a look at Madden 3DS for the first time. But after playing for a little while, you’ll start to pick up on different areas where the developers really wanted to highlight the 3D visuals. In particular, there are these occasional events called spotlight moments where a critical play is about to occur and the game quickly switches to a slow-motion, close-up view of the players involved. It’s almost a sort of Madden bullet-time effect, and the way that the camera gets right up in the action really helps the players jump out in 3D. But overall, Madden seems to be keeping it subtle with the 3D effects--which is probably a wise decision, considering all the movement and chaos that happens on the gridiron and the stomach-upsetting potential stuff like that has when viewed in 3D.

What You Do: Madden 3DS is a lighter package than what you’ll find on consoles when you look at features. It’s got standard 11-on-11 games, a faster-paced and high-scoring five-on-five mode, as well as a practice mode and a full season mode. Unfortunately, there’s no multiplayer modes or any sort of feature that shares data with other 3DS owners using the fancy street pass system that Nintendo has developed in an effort to make this new handheld more social than the old DS.

How It Plays: As we mentioned, Madden for the 3DS is relatively simplified installment in the long-running football franchise designed for 3DS owners who might not be familiar with all the ins and outs of the console versions. By default, the game uses the gameflow feature that automatically chooses your next player based on an AI system, similar to the “Ask Madden” option in previous games. Only here, you don’t have to ask for help--it just chooses your next play as soon as the last one is over to keep the flow of the game going. But, you can always choose your own play from a full playbook by simply hitting a button after the ball is down. Another feature for those who’d prefer to get more nitty-gritty with their coaching is the touch screen hot route controls. Before a play starts, you can see the passing play routes on the bottom of the screen to let you know which receivers are running where once you hike the ball. If you don’t like what you see or spot some weakness in the defense, you can simply tap on a receiver and draw a new route for him to follow using the stylus and touch screen.

What We Say: It’s a little disappointing that EA isn’t using some of the cooler features on the 3DS, such as street pass and wireless multiplayer, which strikes us as an all-too-common route to take on the first version of a game on new hardware. But with that gripe aside, this is a nice-looking version of Madden that seems to be taking the smart approach of simplifying things for a portable system. It’s not trying to be the Madden that you can play on your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3--this is definitely something more appropriate for gaming on the go. You can expect to see it released on March 27 when the 3DS hardware hits stores.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Even though Madden 3DS sounds like a crap weak effort I bet it's going to sell shitloads because it's a launch title. Typical EA, for better or worse. :lol:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Even though Madden 3DS sounds like a crap weak effort I bet it's going to sell shitloads because it's a launch title. Typical EA, for better or worse. :lol:
Thanks GT.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Rodster wrote:Even though Madden 3DS sounds like a crap weak effort I bet it's going to sell shitloads because it's a launch title. Typical EA, for better or worse. :lol:
Instead of always reading "Madden for the [fill in the blank] is a relatively simplified installment in the long-running football franchise designed for [gamers] who might not be familiar with all the ins and outs of the console versions," it sure would be nice to finally read, "Madden for the ___ is designed for true football fanatics who greatly appreciate all of the little details about the sport." Maybe someday.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

On the flip side, Resident Evil for the 3DS is getting a lot of positive feedback.

"With atmospheric sounds, and lots of shock scenes, it looks like Resident Evil Revelations could deliver true scares! Those scares will come at the visual quality we've come to expect from the series' latest HD installments. Revelations is a showpiece title for the 3DS in terms of visual fidelity. It also has a nice, clear 3D effect, making it look like you're looking into a virtual 3D world. The MT Framework (which powers both this and Street Fighter IV 3D Edition) appears to have another success story on its hands."

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143173p1.html

"Capcom certainly have to be commended on two things. First of all, a brand new Resident Evil title to a new system straight off the bat is a tremendous show of confidence for the Nintendo 3DS. The second is that Resident Evil: Revelations (Biohazard: Revelations in Japan) is one of the best looking games we’ve seen on the system thus far, and that the MT Framework Mobile engine really shines in 3D."

http://www.vooks.net/story-19847-Ninten ... sions.html

"Between the textures in the two maps we played on (Spain and Africa, a la Resident Evil 4 and 5 respectively) and the detailed character models (the pattern on the back of Claire's jacket, for instance), Mercenaries 3D impresses visually, quite apart from the 3D effect. This is one of the games that really sells the 3DS's graphical capabilities, upgraded over that of its 2D predecessor. Character animations are likewise impressive, as are occasional spectacles--such as the fiery explosion of the inevitable red barrel."

http://www.gamespot.com/3ds/action/resi ... e=previews
Last edited by GTHobbes on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

:roll: Right on queue.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

fanatic wrote:Speaking of the DS, if anyone is looking for a cool puzzle/mystery type game, "Ghost Trick" is a great choice (just released).

You start the game by realizing you have just been murdered and are able to possess inanimate objects in order to investigate what happened to you. Great concept and well executed in that quirky, artsy Japanese type of way. One of the better DS titles for sure.
Ghost Trick is very good and addictive! I am on Chapter 4 right now, what a fun little game.

As far as 3DS, I am going to wait and see. I also have a DSiXL, and I don't want to go back to a smaller screen. Plus, the launch lineup isn't too appealing, so there is no need to buy one immediately.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++