Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Golf

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Golf

Post by Inuyasha »

I think it's fair to toss s*** on this game. its been done a lot on other games like NBA LIVE, Madden, and Project Cars.

I think most people are pissed because you have videogame Golf's version of Barney Fife telling everyone's impressions are not just wrong, but that we're all playing the game incorrectly. :roll:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

So let me get this straight.....you state you don't like RM and go out and get TW14. Good for you. Then I warn you of a serious issue with TW14.
Inuyasha wrote: FYI. Tiger 14 for 360 is selling for $18 at Walmart bargain bin. Cheapest price anywhere.

Terrific game. So many courses. A shame Rory isn't even half of this. Game.
DivotMaker wrote:Then don't apply the 1.1 patch and don't play online or you will throw it in the trash.
Inuyasha wrote:Why are you so offended? :roll:

I'm just informing people of a quality alternative at a great price.
DivotMaker wrote:What? Offended? Geezus..... :roll:

I am simply letting you know that there are serious issues playing online if you do install the only patch. It will reset your clubs in the bag and remove your putter EVERY round you play online. Pardon me for trying to give you a heads up....I won't make that mistake again.
Then you post this:
Inuyasha wrote:I think it's fair to toss s*** on this game. its been done a lot on other games like NBA LIVE, Madden, and Project Cars.

I think most people are pissed because you have videogame Golf's version of Barney Fife telling everyone's impressions are not just wrong, but that we're all playing the game incorrectly. :roll:
So basically, I try to help you with a heads up on a game issue you likely don't have an effing clue about and you call me names and accuse me of telling everyone they are wrong about RM, right? Gotcha. Thought for a minute I was on the EA forums or some other forum where people act like this. Ironically, the 3 year olds on the EA forums have NOTHING on you.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I think we'll get a good idea of where EA Sports is headed with this game in their first update. It sounds like they have acknowledged the feedback they've read and are acting on it. We'll see... no time table on when the first update will become a reality, but I admit that I'm anxious to see how they've reacted to the criticism the game has received, at least at the Tour difficulty level.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

this is too funny :lol:

divot - i don't care anymore what you say. the game sucks ass and i'm done with it.

now please go on to the other 5 gaming forums where I've seen your same posts verbatim.

Where did I cal you names LOL

I'll just wait for the Rory 2016 patch.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Wilk5280 wrote:
I haven't been able to find '14 for the 360 anywhere cheap (I've looked at Walmart), but I wouldn't mind having it again on that system as I see myself keeping it longer term than the PS3.
Target seems to have a lot of them but they're $25. Not sure if you want to spend that much for a 2 year old game.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

WTF is your problem. I did not realize that our posts in other forums were being scrutinized. What I post and where I post is none of your effing business.
Inuyasha wrote:because you have videogame Golf's version of Barney Fife telling everyone's impressions are not just wrong, but that we're all playing the game incorrectly. :roll:
So mature...... :roll:

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I'm sorry if you were offended, but it's a gaming forum. We're not splitting the atom here.

It's obvious you're way too much invested in this game that you're taking every post in a serious emotional/personal level.

Anyway, I'll stop responding to you then. I'll let the discussion get back to the game itself.

Just take a step back and relax a bit.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Do all you guys argue like this with people you interact with in real life? 8O
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Cut the fighting out, please. This is a warning.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I don't know what the fuss is about, I watched a lot of game play last night via twitch and this looks like a golf game I would really like so I think I might pull the trigger. I'm not looking for a hard core golf game, and this seems like more of an arcade/sim style game with a professional tv style presentation from what I can see and that looks pretty fun to me.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

tjung0831 wrote:I don't know what the fuss is about, I watched a lot of game play last night via twitch and this looks like a golf game I would really like so I think I might pull the trigger. I'm not looking for a hard core golf game, and this seems like more of an arcade/sim style game with a professional tv style presentation from what I can see and that looks pretty fun to me.
I think your description nails it. Some seem to like it, some find it bland and boring. It sure seems to strike folks in one extreme or the other. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it if you pick it up.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I look nothing like a dishevelled Danny DeVito walking through a fairground House Of Mirrors. If the facial presets in your game don't let me get any closer than that to my real face, you'd benefit from adding a few more options in there.
tjung0831 wrote:I don't know what the fuss is about, I watched a lot of game play last night via twitch and this looks like a golf game I would really like so I think I might pull the trigger. I'm not looking for a hard core golf game, and this seems like more of an arcade/sim style game with a professional tv style presentation from what I can see and that looks pretty fun to me.
Part of me thinks I am looking for a hardcore golf game. I've never played a real-world round but I enjoy watching and the mechanics of it, executing the different types of shot and so on, fascinate me. Another part of me knows that my handicap on TGC is 8.1 and rising, my last round was +12 after handicapping and in the round before that, I managed to exceed the shot limit twice. Earlier in this thread, a similar set of scores were labelled "hard to believe" and while that's not a viewpoint I'm anywhere near to sharing, I can still understand the sentiment; sometimes, the only way to view my short game is while shaking your head in disbelief.

The RM broadcast team, very good to listen to so far, called my short game Seve-esque once. I need to change the swing difficulty to Hard to see what impact that has but for me, it's been really nice to play a virtual round of golf without being paddled every other hole. I've still shanked an attempted draw off the tee that somehow left the club face pointing 85 degrees to the right and just stayed there, along with a tee shot on a par 3 at Sawgrass that cleared the entire water hazard to the left of the hole, hit a tree and landed in some mulch, but I saved par both times. (Have we talked about the difference being able to play from those lies instead of being flagged O.B has made to the game? I wouldn't want to be in that position too often but it feels much more immersive to me.) I've quite enjoyed feeling like that might be possible, how RM gives this sense of being a pro compared to the hopeless hacker I am in TGC.

Having said that, and having been -20 over 72 holes in the web.com event, I can see already that playing it for extended spells would make the putting seem too easy on my current settings, make me get sick of hearing the phrase "green light special" and wish there were more courses. Hopefully upping the swing difficulty and waiting for updates to the content might do away with those concerns. I'd be quite happy if they did - there's something very likeable about what's there already but I'd want to know the game was going to hold my attention past 10 hours before I pulled the trigger on it.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I am almost out of time on the trial so I went ahead and picked it up for $48 with BB GCU. It's a big hit so far with me and my two boys (10 and 12). There are so many shortcomings in career mode and such a lack of attention to detail (all three of us tonight had the same caddie) that I think it should be rated poorly but at the end of the day we think it plays a great game of golf. They really never took to TGC but really like this one. I will definitely get my money's worth and it looks like I can use the $60 on TeeOff.com promo codes to save on some real golf around here.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Played my CAG at the Open today, with all settings set to hard with grids on and zoom on. Even with the zoom off you can hit it pretty much straight especially at the Open as I only felt into the deep sands only once.

Thru the first three rounds I was always among the top ten but on the final day today, I was on fire shooting -16 thru four days and eventually winning my first event with my Pro.

I am at level 47 and playing a finesse style. My short game improved the most making those awkward 5-7 ft putts more tolerable. It felt good to win the tournament and while still it's not a fluent motion, my putting is improving as I level up with better clubs.

After a full week with the game, I am going to continue playing career mode along the online tourneys. Take away the dumb animations, and there's a fun game out there between arcade and sim style under hard settings.

Would I recommend the game for the full price? No, but if you can find a sale later on under $45, there's definitely some fun in this golf game despite some shortcomings.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I feel the same way, although I've been playing about 75% of the time with pro golfers. I should probably start working on my CAG.

I think golf is a complicated game for developers to get balanced right, because user skills, not just preferences, are all over the place. Even on the Tour Online Tournaments, there are some people absolutely crushing the game. But these are the same people that crushed previous Tiger games, which I never came close to competing with. Honestly, I don't want the game tuned so much that these guys struggle to make par. I'd be dialing back and forced to use zoom to aim and probably the aiming arc.

Honestly, it reveals the biggest omission from the game, the Country Clubs. Once in a country club, no one cares about those extreme low scores anymore, but they are no longer who you are competing with. In RMPGAT, that all you are competing with, unless you can play a lot of friends online. Even without a country club, you still can't set up a tourney and invite friends to play.

It's a bummer, because of the last few days, I'm really starting to love the gameplay a ton. But there just isn't a good way, within the game, to feel like you are playing the game with your community of friends. At the very least they should have robbed Powerstar Golf (which robbed TW 09's GamerNet) and pull in your friends' performances to compare drives, approaches, and long putts. One of the addictive qualities of PowerStar Golf was that you were constantly bettering you friends, and earning XP in the process. So even with no MP, you still feel like you are always playing with your friends.

You throw in a shallow as f*** career mode, no ability to play one off tourneys versus the AI, and the loss of the Play the Pros online tournaments, and I think the game deserves the low scores it has gotten. It's just lacking in so many areas.

But I really disagree that gameplay is one of those areas. I hope EA and the devs are using telemetry to tune the gameplay, and not the people posting at places like OS. I don't believe, when using the hard swing difficulty and no zoom, that people are hitting fairways at a rate some claim. But if that's the case, it would bear out in the telemetry data EA is collecting.

Personally, I think gameplay is close enough that I would prefer to see them work on adding social and online features to the game, and making the career mode more robust.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Aristo wrote:I don't believe, when using the hard swing difficulty and no zoom, that people are hitting fairways at a rate some claim. But if that's the case, it would bear out in the telemetry data EA is collecting.
I'm not lying when I say that I have the hardest settings and no zoom and have no issues hitting the fairway or just about anything else. It's just about finding a reference point from your view and then using the yardages on the hole map, it's really not that hard at all.

Once you get into your approach shots, the distance marker is far too accurate, and you can just use math to nail approach shots. Now, I have a tendency once in a while to start pushing everything right with my thumb. Not sure why, but when that happens, rounds fall apart. But when I've got a straight swing going, and the pins aren't in the insane "it's on a side hill" position, I've repeatedly ripped off -12 or better rounds on those settings.

So I wouldn't be so quick to assume that those guys at OS are lying--there are some freakishly good guys out there, and even with the hardest settings and no zoom, it's all just math. It's not that tricky to hit good shots if you can swing straight.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I know some can pull it off. there are a ton of guys that use modified controllers, and they are the ones that still pull off the insane scores. I'm just not seeing a any -12's from a single person I know in the online tournaments. I scroll through the top scores whenever I play.

The worst part, though, is that they don't have any really good stat tracking, so who knows what our FIR and GIR really are? But I have spent a fair amount of time in the rough. I can't believe, even using Rory or Spieth, that my FIR is any better than 70 or 80%.

I suspect that stat tracking was left out by EA in order to avoid these kinds of discussions, though.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That's possible, and the course will obviously make a huge difference. Bay Hill and Scottsdale I can rip off some stupid scores, while I'm lucky just to judge the elevation properly at Wolf Creek. When I hit a great round, my putter is working. When I have poor scores, it's because of putting, not because of missing the fairway or GIR, though.

I enjoy the game immensely, however. That hasn't changed since Early Access, really.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Haven't been round these parts in a while, but considering a purchase of this game...I enjoy The Golf Club, despite it's limited presentation. I would love to hear a comparison of the two based on:

Graphics:
Gameplay:
Presentation:
Modes:
FUN/Realism FACTOR:

Let me know which game comes out on top in these categories so I can decide whether or not to buy RMPGAT; THANkS!
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Graphics: RMPGAT by a long shot
Gameplay: I favor RMPGAT, but there is plenty of valid debate for each one.
Presentation: RMPGAT by a long shot
Modes: Honestly, I think they both tanked in this regard
FUN/Realism FACTOR: Again, I favor RMPGAT, but TGC will get plenty of votes.

I consider TGC to be mostly awful, and had it been released by EA, it would have been crucified. But it does have a course creator, so it has a ton more courses to play. That doesn't mean it has a lot of good courses to play.

If you want some more casual style play, it's an absolute no-brainer. RMPGAT has plenty of features that make the game fun and easyish, depending on how you approach it. Also, it has a deep and enormous minigame mode, The Nightclub. It's really well done, and there are dozens, if not hundreds of hours of gameplay there, depending on your decide to three star everything.

RMPGAT is really lacking in a lot of features you might assume are in the game though. No Country clubs, No private tournaments, online of off. No real stat tracking outside of the career mode. There are no replays. If you made a great shot, you have to record it with the Game DVR. That means no angles, and better views. Online play is asynchronous only. There is no turn based play with friends. The career mode is surprising shallow, with weak CAG options, no ability to view the tour calendar and choose events, and only two choices of how to play tourneys, Quick rounds (5 or six holes per round, simulating the rest) or playing all four rounds in full. There is no option to just play Sunday round.

I don't think RMPGAT, as it stands now, is worth the full price of admission unless you want to play the minigames and are okay with a rather meager amount of courses. Although, while meager, there are some absolutely fantastic courses to play, including Chambers Bay and the fantasy course set in the Grand Canyon, Coyote Falls.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Sport73 wrote:Haven't been round these parts in a while, but considering a purchase of this game...I enjoy The Golf Club, despite it's limited presentation. I would love to hear a comparison of the two based on:

Graphics: RMPGAT
Gameplay: TGC
Presentation: RMPGAT
Modes: TGC
FUN/Realism FACTOR: TGC

Let me know which game comes out on top in these categories so I can decide whether or not to buy RMPGAT; THANkS!
I'm holding off on a purchase until I see what happens in the next update or two for RM. An option to turn the swing power fill meter OFF is a much have for me. I'm also looking for some improvements in the swing interface for all shots, including putting.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Graphics: Rory, by a mile. The Golf Club is only a small step ahead of Xbox 360 graphics.

Gameplay: The Golf Club. Much better feel with putter and short irons.

Presentation: Rory. Typical EA polish. Fly-bys, good sound, etc.

Modes: Neither. Both are stripped down. But at least The Golf Club won't set you back $60. There's not enough content in Rory to merit a full sticker price.

FUN/Realism FACTOR: The Golf Club. More realistic in ball striking, fairway bounce, etc., so I find it more fun than Rory.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Graphics: Rory, by a mile. The Golf Club is only a small step ahead of Xbox 360 graphics.

Gameplay: The Golf Club. Much better feel with putter and short irons.

Presentation: Rory. Typical EA polish. Fly-bys, good sound, etc.

Modes: Neither. Both are stripped down. But at least The Golf Club won't set you back $60. There's not enough content in Rory to merit a full sticker price.

FUN/Realism FACTOR: The Golf Club. More realistic in ball striking, fairway bounce, etc., so I find it more fun than Rory.
QFT. Nothing else to add really.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Sport73 wrote:Haven't been round these parts in a while, but considering a purchase of this game...I enjoy The Golf Club, despite it's limited presentation. I would love to hear a comparison of the two based on:

Graphics: RMPGA unless you have a really good PC then TGC is better
Gameplay: TGC for reasons mentioned above
Presentation: RMPGA
Modes: Both suck here
FUN/Realism FACTOR: There both fun, realism is a wash as well IMO. One cost $20 the other $60.

See above
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

J_Cauthen wrote:

Graphics: RMPGAT
Gameplay: TGC
Presentation: RMPGAT
Modes: TGC
FUN/Realism FACTOR: TGC

I'm holding off on a purchase until I see what happens in the next update or two for RM. An option to turn the swing power fill meter OFF is a much have for me. I'm also looking for some improvements in the swing interface for all shots, including putting.
I agree with all of the above although I do like the commentary in TGC better than RM. :wink:

-MERACE