Evolve Beta

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Soupa Mac
Mario Mendoza

Evolve Beta

Post by Soupa Mac »

Just downloaded the Evolve beta for xbox one. Excited to see what this game has to offer. Just downloaded and was gonna hop on tonight and give it a run! Thoughts!?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Evolve Beta

Post by TCrouch »

I thought this beta was months ago? It seemed OK--they're doing it again?

Soupa Mac
Mario Mendoza

Post by Soupa Mac »

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Whoa! A Soupa Mac sighting!?!?!?

I will try to play as soon as I can get a night free. Are you sure this new Beta ends on the 19th? Haven't been able to find anything that says that...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

TCrouch wrote:I thought this beta was months ago? It seemed OK--they're doing it again?
That was an Alpha. It played like an Alpha for me, but I'm giving it another go.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That would explain it. I could see having a BUNCH of fun with this, if you had 4 buddies that played together, and the monster cycled.

But with random people, I was just frustrated. It was nothing but watching everybody run in different directions, nobody working together. It reminded me why I hate relying on other people, especially ones I don't know.

Soupa Mac
Mario Mendoza

Post by Soupa Mac »

Spooky wrote:Whoa! A Soupa Mac sighting!?!?!?

I will try to play as soon as I can get a night free. Are you sure this new Beta ends on the 19th? Haven't been able to find anything that says that...
On Gamespot's site: Servers were switched on today at 9 AM PDT / 12 Noon EDT, so the game should be playable right now. The beta is scheduled to run through January 19. Servers will be officially switched off on that day at 8 PM PDT / 11 PM EDT.

Soupa Mac
Mario Mendoza

Post by Soupa Mac »

TCrouch wrote:That would explain it. I could see having a BUNCH of fun with this, if you had 4 buddies that played together, and the monster cycled.

But with random people, I was just frustrated. It was nothing but watching everybody run in different directions, nobody working together. It reminded me why I hate relying on other people, especially ones I don't know.
Totally agree with you on having 4 people you know is a key factor. A collective spirit is always better than playing with randoms. Was hoping some DSP dudes would jump in and give it a whirl.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Spooky wrote: I will try to play as soon as I can get a night free.
That's my situation as well, and unfortunately it will not be possible for me to try the Beta. However I will buy the game in the vain hope that I will be able to play with a group of you guys from time to time.

This game is so much the kind of online multiplayer I hope to see made that I have to try. And I agree it can only really work well with friends, much like the splinter cell games but even more so. Uess you get really lucky and land with randoms who talk, but those chances are so slim especially early in a game's life when lots of folks are just trying it out.

Anyway I'm eager to see your guys' impressions of the Beta and hope I will be able to jump in when the full game is released after the Super Bowl

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I played the Monster tutorial last night, and I kind of loved it. I'm looking forward to digging into more of it today and this weekend.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Alright, I downloaded it on XB1. If we have some time that we want to try a 5-person party to see how it shakes out, I'd be all for that. I can't do it tonight, unfortunately, but any other time this weekend we might want to try it? Or tonight if other guys want to do it and report back to us? :)

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

TCrouch wrote:Alright, I downloaded it on XB1. If we have some time that we want to try a 5-person party to see how it shakes out, I'd be all for that. I can't do it tonight, unfortunately, but any other time this weekend we might want to try it? Or tonight if other guys want to do it and report back to us? :)
I can give this a try tonight after 9pm ET or tomorrow right at 10pm ET (shortly after the Colts/Pats game).

If there is a response by 2 or 3 more guys to confirm a game time I will show up for sure.

If there is no serious interest in the game here, I wont be buying it as I had an awful time playing with randoms during the first beta.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Anybody going to have this ready to go tomorrow? I should actually be able to play tomorrow, although I won't be able to stay up terribly late. I never got a chance to try the alpha nor the beta, so I'm still excited about the possibilities of this game :D and also I'm excited to check he game out for the first time.

Anyone in for tomorrow?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm unfortunately out, didn't care for it. 3 Gig launch day patch I read BTW
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I actually got less excited the more I tried to play it. This will be the first big release I haven't had on Day 1 in...I don't know, a long ass time.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

TCrouch wrote:I actually got less excited the more I tried to play it. This will be the first big release I haven't had on Day 1 in...I don't know, a long ass time.
I'll believe that at the end of the day tomorrow. :wink:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

ScoopBrady wrote:
TCrouch wrote:I actually got less excited the more I tried to play it. This will be the first big release I haven't had on Day 1 in...I don't know, a long ass time.
I'll believe that at the end of the day tomorrow. :wink:
Touche :lol:

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I couldn't resist it. I played very limited amounts of the Beta and definitely did not get enough time t judge it. I enjoyed the little I did play though. So...I pre-ordered it for download.

I, like Zeppo, find these kinds of asymmetrical multiplayer games the most enjoyable. Anyone who really enjoyed Left 4 Dead would be silly not to give this a serious try. Talk about a PERFECT DSP game for 4-5 of us...!!!!!! I am a bit shocked at the lack of excitement for this. :? :?:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Spooky wrote:I couldn't resist it. I played very limited amounts of the Beta and definitely did not get enough time t judge it. I enjoyed the little I did play though. So...I pre-ordered it for download.

I, like Zeppo, find these kinds of asymmetrical multiplayer games the most enjoyable. Anyone who really enjoyed Left 4 Dead would be silly not to give this a serious try. Talk about a PERFECT DSP game for 4-5 of us...!!!!!! I am a bit shocked at the lack of excitement for this. :? :?:
My biggest concern, even though it shouldn't be, is the development saga. This thing has been on the radar seemingly forever. It's been years hearing about fundamental changes in the way the game was going to be played, not just tweaks for balance etc.

I suppose that despite the production drama it could end up being Apocalypse Now and not Cleopatra, but it feels unlikely.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Spooky wrote:Anyone who really enjoyed Left 4 Dead would be silly not to give this a serious try. Talk about a PERFECT DSP game for 4-5 of us...!!!!!! I am a bit shocked at the lack of excitement for this. :? :?:
I disagree with this statement. It isn't anything like Left 4 Dead unless they added something or I missed something.

L4D was 4 players against the game, the game directed the action sequences. In multiplayer it was players as infected vs survivors. From the time I spent with Evolve there is no players against the game, it's always 5 guys, 1 as the monster. There is no story, no goals it's just fighting in different environments.

There lies the problem for me, if you have 5 guys you can play with constantly it's likely a good game. However for a game that requires teamwork the Beta didn't inspire me to play with randoms. Take out the co-op story mode and the only thing this has in common with L4D is that its made by the same people.

EDIT: I'm willing to bet this is a game a month from now is 1/2 price.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Spooky wrote:Talk about a PERFECT DSP game for 4-5 of us...!!!!!! I am a bit shocked at the lack of excitement for this. :? :?:
Unfortunately there are not enough guys willing to schedule and show up for multiplayer gaming, other than NHL. The only other game that took off for a while was GTA Wednesdays. I thought Forza Horizon 2 would get some play, but we raced maybe 3 times.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Pete1210 wrote:
Spooky wrote:Talk about a PERFECT DSP game for 4-5 of us...!!!!!! I am a bit shocked at the lack of excitement for this. :? :?:
Unfortunately there are not enough guys willing to schedule and show up for multiplayer gaming, other than NHL. The only other game that took off for a while was GTA Wednesdays. I thought Forza Horizon 2 would get some play, but we raced maybe 3 times.
Yeah - I know. I keep having visions of a group of us playing that are just not realistic anymore. I guess I have some hope that I can find a handful of randoms that will be communicating and into it enough to play with for a bit. I had surprisingly great experiences with randoms on the last Splinter Cell that ended up being added to my friends list for a legit amount of pick up games.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Got it. Played for 2 hours. Listed it on Glyde this AM. I just suck at shooters like this plus the maps are f***in tiny. Hunting should take more than 1 minute. It really lacks on the tracking/hunting aspect.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I didn't play the alpha nor the beta, so yesterday afternoon was my first experience of the game, and I liked it quite a bit! After playing the tutorials, I watched a few of the quick tutorial videos introducing the different hunters and monsters and then was able to get in just a few rounds of Hunt mode. I ended up in a group who communicated, well at least three of us did, and it was a lot of fun! I didn't expect the early hunt phase to be quite so much runnng, running, running all the time, chasing after the faster monster, but I think a little more familiarity with the maps and a better sense of how to track will alleviate that problem.

I was surprised with how many game modes are available. I only played the basic hunt mode, but I can see how the rescue mission and the nest mode would concentrate the action a bit and do away with a lot of the long distance running. Besides the various modes, there seems to be quite a bit of depth with the different hunters and the pretty vast differences of the monsters. It remains to be seen if this appearance of depth turns out to be real or of the different weapons and abilities among the hunters is more a case of distinctions without real differences.

I played one round as a monster and it was a disaster! Worst monster ever! I definitely think that with some more experience under my belt I could really enjoy being the monster, though. Again some map famiarity and a better sense of the pacing of the game will help.

Last night I got in a couple more rounds and it was a bit frustrating at first, being dropped in mid-game into one where no one was talking. But then I quit out and found another game and immediately all four of us were talking and even though the Wraith destroyed us once it leveled up to phase three, it was still pretty fun.

I can see myself enjoying this game more and more as I start to get a handle on all the different hunters' gear and abilities and if I can break through and get a handle on being an effective monster. It definitely is immensely better when people are talking, no doubt about it. I'm lost right now as to how to behave as the different classes, but already I made strides from one round to the next as the tracker, so I think the learning curve won't be too draw out.

It goes without saying that a private game among five of us (or even four with a bot) could be fantastic, but my time for gaming these days is way down and I go to bed so early most nights that I can't see it being a regular occurance for me. Still, I was encouraged yesterday by the fact that it wasn't too difficult for me to end up in a room that was communicating well, and so I can see myself getting in a few rounds here and there when I have time and not worrying too much about playing with randoms. People seem to understand how much more fun communicating makes the game. We'll see how long that will last, of course.

It does seem to be a remarkably difficult feat to balance a game that is so asymmetrical such as this. I guess I'm finally realizing why asymmetrical multilayer is so rare - it's freaking hard to hit the sweet spot! So far I think there's a good chance this one does, and I can imagine there will be lots of room for tweaking via patches and updates.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I pretty much share your same feelings Zeppo.

I am hopeful that this game becomes similar to the last Splinter Cell where once the hype died down, only the more dedicated and serious players stuck around. This helps greatly with the chances of getting into a match with good communicators and helpful players.