Project Cars

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Project Cars

Post by pk500 »

Are you getting the same jacked-up framerate after patch 1.4, Steve?

The problem is bizarre -- the framerate chugs entering a turn, even without a lot of traffic, and then briefly accelerates to seemingly 100 FPS for a split-second. Disorienting as hell and screws up any driving rhythm that's achieved. I check the SMS Project Cars forums often, and other XB1 players are reporting this problem.

I fired up Forza 5 last night for the first time since I got Project Cars, for comparison. Project Cars' physics and racing model are flat-out better. But it was so refreshing to play a game with no framerate problems and in which I could concentrate on driving and racing rather than wondering if one of the 58 permutations of controller configurations I was using was the best for me or if the holy grail of controller schemes still evaded me.

I'm probably only giving up on this game for now. It will be good some day, but that day is not today. This is one of the buggiest new releases I've EVER played in 35 years of console gaming.

The price probably will plummet when Forza 6 is released. So I'll get Forza 6 and Project Cars in September and swirl around global tracks in a state of petrol-addled bliss.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

pk500 wrote:Are you getting the same jacked-up framerate after patch 1.4, Steve?
Yep, exactly the same. I had to turn the game off as I was feeling a bit nauseous.

Does Best Buy have decent trade-in values?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

There's a stuttering, slight frame rate drop approaching tight corners and for me at times I wasn't sure whether it was my brakes or the frame drop as you feel the car struggling like an erratic chug. No matter where you finish in the qualies, you start last on the grid too. As I mentioned before, there's probably still a jewel somewhere under the hood for the true Sim guys which I am not, but this game deserves so much better with all the delays and anticipation that it received.

Maybe I'll get F1 instead.

I am keeping it because I can't sell my digital version :evil: and because I like the GT and Formula cars, as well as the supposedly good support that the developers are putting behind the game.

And I may still drive it here and there, but with the unplayable controls before the patch, and continuos tweaking after, I always felt that at the end of the day, I just want to throw my feet in the couch and start racing without worrying about the bugs.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Yep would have to agree here. I cant enjoy the game because its different every time i turn it on to play . Cant enjoy it as your always wondering "is this right"

1.4 went too far with its force feedback, its so strong now that my fan kicks on after 3 laps, that cant be right. You go to the forums only to read conflicting solutions from the development Team no less, one says turn down force feedback another says no turn down tire force WTF get together and come up with a plan and tell us what its supposed to feel like is that so hard?
My Wheel has such a bad notchyness to it since 1.4 it feels worse than the old logi DFP. That wasn't there before.

My guess is they are just lost on the xbox one version and is why they aren't steering anyone in the right direction, they dont know themselves.
Next we are going to hear everyone's TX wheels are burning out from what they did as a fix, count on it.

This game has too many details for its own good on console and is why things are so open to interpretation.

Im not giving up whatsoever as the racing is fun as hell, just wish i could concentrate on my line and not a choppy frame rate or bad effects coming through my wheel and worrying if its going to melt into a pile of scolding plastic and land on my ball sack directly below .

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

grtwhtsk wrote:
pk500 wrote:Are you getting the same jacked-up framerate after patch 1.4, Steve?
Yep, exactly the same. I had to turn the game off as I was feeling a bit nauseous.

Does Best Buy have decent trade-in values?
$27 for Project Cars. 30 percent trade-in bonus starts tomorrow, so you will net around $35 if the $27 price is maintained once the promotion starts.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:And I may still drive it here and there, but with the unplayable controls before the patch, and continuos tweaking after, I always felt that at the end of the day, I just want to throw my feet in the couch and start racing without worrying about the bugs.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Im not giving up whatsoever as the racing is fun as hell, just wish i could concentrate on my line and not a choppy frame rate or bad effects coming through my wheel and worrying if its going to melt into a pile of scolding plastic and land on my ball sack directly below .
That's exactly why I'm trading in the game now and hoping the problems are fixed enough to warrant a budget re-buy in a few months. SMS either is going to fix or abandon this game. That decision will directly influence my future purchase decision.

But the Xbox One version of the game is fundamentally broken in too many areas now. It's a beta product.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

OK, now I'm probably trading in Project Cars and maybe never buying another SMS product again.

I just checked the Project Cars forum and learned I was banned for life for posting diplomatic comments and bug reports very similar to the words and tone I have used here in my posts last night and this morning. SMS jacked up the Xbox One version of this game, and it's not facing that reality.

SMS head Ian Bell offered a long-winded, alibi-filled response to my comments, with this final line: "Go away."

Top two posts on this page are my exchange with Bell: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showth ... ues/page12 I also made a few measured comments on the previous two pages.

That's fantastic customer service. F*ck you, Ian Bell.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wow, unreal PK. Way to support the community.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

PK, I'm assuming you saw the threads on AI behaviour where Bell's pied piper routine has him and his legion of fawning acolytes insisting that all manner of dumb AI decisions are actually the player's fault? Where his response to complaints about AI aggressiveness at 100% are to say that they're fine if you set them to 80%? Where the issue with your car getting stuck to the rear of AI drivers, quite rightly flagged by Terry earlier in the thread, is actually meant to happen, just not quite as much as it does? If it's possible to deny there's a bug, Bell and the PCARS forum will do so.

A great many of their number are WMD members too, so stand to profit from the game provided enough folk buy it. It's all terrible customer service and Bell presents himself as possessing the winning combination of supreme arrogance and filament-thin skin, but I suspect the forum is more of a propaganda exercise than anything,

Tell you what, though: it's still better than the Codemasters F1 forums.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the tip, Adam: I'll avoid the Codemasters' F1 forums like hammer toes.

Ian Bell is an arrogant prick with little regard for his customers. You would NEVER see DSP alum Brian Ekberg (BBReBozo) or his colleagues at Turn 10 treat Forza and Horizon customers with such brazen disdain. Then again, Turn 10 releases completed products to the marketplace, unlike SMS.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Maybe I should create an account just so I can boast my Brent Torrentski version on the PC runs quite smooth. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I like how the guy continues to swear it's a local issue and not his game when multiple people report the same thing. I'm kinda pissed I bought the game now...supporting assholes like that.

Again tho...I can't speak highly enough of the PC version. Kills me to see you XB1 guys with such issues.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I like how the guy continues to swear it's a local issue and not his game when multiple people report the same thing. I'm kinda pissed I bought the game now...supporting assholes like that.

Again tho...I can't speak highly enough of the PC version. Kills me to see you XB1 guys with such issues.
No Xbox One game should require its players to run on Power Save mode after rebooting with all background apps turned off. That's not preparing the Xbox for use of all of its CPU cores; that's sh*tty programming and code by SMS.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Ian Bell is the 2015 version of Derek Smart. Too bad those two can't get together and make a game. I would love to read their insults.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I am trying to run Sonoma Short, and noticed some weird frame rate stuff in the corners too..... Glad to see it wasn't just my eyes!

I suppose the guy is burnt out from defending the game for a month now, but he is a d*****...... If I said at work that in our testing environment we couldn't replicate a problem, so sod off and it's all in your head..... my clients would make sure I didn't have a job for very long!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gangrel wrote:I am trying to run Sonoma Short, and noticed some weird frame rate stuff in the corners too..... Glad to see it wasn't just my eyes!
I know this sounds insane, but it almost felt like the framerate problem was linked to controller input in the corners. When I braked, I got framerate chugs. Then the momentary hyperspeeding of the frame rate started the millisecond I started to release the left trigger for braking modulation.

Crazy, I know. But anything is possible with this No-Pest Strip disguised as a finished product.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Well, I had uninstalled this game tonight and was ready to return it. But Project Cars is so much fun to drive in the rare times everything works well that I thought it was worth one more salvage attempt.

So I followed the instructions in this thread, with one exception: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showth ... s-MAY-help

My exception: I kept the game on my internal drive instead of putting it on my external drive. Some of my framerate problems earlier this week seemed to worsen when I moved the game to my external drive.

I changed my Xbox's power settings to Power Save instead of Instant On, which is cool because I don't use Kinect or my Xbox as a TV tuner. I cleared the persistent cache in the Blu-Ray menu and unplugged my power brick for a hard reboot. Then I reinstalled the entire game.

Mea culpa: This worked.

Framerates still seem a tad slow, but they're consistent. No more chugs and hyperspurts. This game is playable again. I'm just keeping it on the default controls and learning to drive various cars without worrying about 41 different possible controller permutations I've tried.

So far, so good.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Yes, I was just about to post the same. For me, just a power cycle of the box did the trick.......
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gangrel wrote:Yes, I was just about to post the same. For me, just a power cycle of the box did the trick.......
That wasn't enough for me. But I'm thinking that's maybe because I had moved my game to my external drive, which was another one of the suggestions in the help thread at the SMS forums. My internal drive seems to create better framerate for Project Cars than my external.

Confounding. But this game is pretty damn good when working well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Roller coaster of emotion coming to this thread.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Roller coaster of emotion coming to this thread.
Nah. You know as well as anyone this game is damn good when it works. So it's worth the extra salvage effort.

This thread isn't emotional. It's a labor of love. A bit too much heavy lifting needed with the XB1 version, though.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

At least they're fully committed to fixing this one before announcing a crowdfunding drive for the sequel. That's a big positive in my eyes.

Oh.

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/ann ... ect-cars-2

Years away from release, I'm sure, and doubtless there'll be a team working on the current title independently of the sequel, but this is a completely deaf-eared piece of PR, surely?
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I actually fully believed in the team's desire to fix the problems and commitment to the title until I read that exchange from the Dev Lead with PK. That was the most arrogant thing I've ever seen. That announcement doesn't surprise me, now.

And the best part is---I've seen that on PS4, too. "Must be a local thing." I got into a corner, it stuttered like mad, then it went like x2.0 speed to 'catch up' and by then I was on the next chute. Was VERY disorienting. So it's no specific XBox setting. The good part is I only saw it once, but I did definitely see it--it was when I was trying to lay down a lap time in a 5-lap test, too, which sucked.

On PC I have replay hitches and some weird stuff like that, but for them to act like their sh*t don't stink and that everything is rosy on their side, and then announce the next title when they barely have a working version of THIS one...just wow.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »