Project Cars

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Project Cars

Post by vader29 »

New trailer released, game is coming in March for PS4, WiiU, Xbox One and PC.

8O
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Project Cars

Post by pk500 »

Hot damn. This game already has been delayed once. Let's hope the extra time produces a finished product that looks -- and drives -- as well as this trailer.

Slightly Mad has a very strong pedigree as a racing game developer, so I'm very hopeful.

Project Cars and Battlefield Hardline are the only games on my XB1 radar this spring.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I'm probably in on this day one just because of Slightly Mad. I really loved the two Shift games they did, which have the best cockpit cams I've ever played. Honestly, it is the cockpit cam that got me to use it primarily, even in other games

I have no need for another racer, as two Forza games take care of those needs. But that looks like a fun as hell racer from the studio I was hoping was going to take over PGR.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Just read the bullet points description on amazon.com and the variety of tracks, cars and game modes sounds loaded like the TOCA games were.
With a huge range of cars and motorsports on offer - everything from road cars, US muscle, and supercars, to GT, Le Mans Prototypes, open wheel, and even karts; whatever your passion, there's something perfect for you - with more being added regularly!

Create a driver, choose a starting motorsport, and sign your first contract. Succeed and you'll get offers from other teams, special invitations, and endorsements.

Create your own public and private race weekends including full practice, qualifying, and warmup sessions or browse and search all games currently being played across the globe to find the perfect game with others of your skill level and preference.

Challenge your friends and the worldwide community in asynchronous Time Trial challenges with full downloadable ghost leaderboards, or compete in a regularly-updated season of special community events for real-world prizes.

Race on over 60 unique tracks including closed circuits and point-to-point locations at any time of day and in ever-changing weather conditions.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

My only hesitation is that it seems like a classic case of too much, while not excelling at anything. Also, what I like about the Shift games was the simcade feel, and this seems to be much more sim oriented. But if they learned from Forza how to taper down the difficulty with various assist, it ought to be a lot of fun for all.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Idk. Hard for any racer to beat fh2. Loved toca2 though.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

may end up as the finest console racer, of all-time.

that said, the vehicle lists which have seen (none official yet) don't personally appeal. This is mainly ALL racing cars. Which is fine for true racing enthusiasts. For me, i would at least prefer a TOCA 2 and TOCA 3 type of list, with plenty of stock muscle cars, and stock vintage sports cars. These are vehicles i identify with.

it does look awesome, tho.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Ok, now I'm excited.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I dont really get the popularity with the in car view. To me it limits vision of the track. Is it a hardcore thing?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Inuyasha wrote:I dont really get the popularity with the in car view. To me it limits vision of the track. Is it a hardcore thing?
For me it's about immersion. There are many racing games where i'll use different cameras because the cockpit camera just isn't right. But when a game nails the cockpit camera like F1 2014 then the immersion kicks in as well as the fun. At that point you feel like tou are driving a race car in an event rather than playing a video game.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Inuyasha wrote:I dont really get the popularity with the in car view. To me it limits vision of the track. Is it a hardcore thing?
It's immersion. It's reality. I don't know too many people who drive their cars from their front bumper or from a seat mounted 4 feet above the trunk.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Ok, now I'm excited.

Do we know from which platform this video was taken? Console, PC?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

It limits the vision somewhat, sure. But the biggest and best explanation I can give you is this---in a real car, your ass tells you what your car is doing, as well as the view around you. A subtle shift in the car's balance will make your head wobble or lean one direction against the G's applied in the vehicle.

In racing games, they try to achieve this affect by moving the cockpit around subtly. Some games do it more drastically than others, but in almost all games, you'll see the cockpit move around a bit. It gives you a simulated seat-of-your-pants feel of what the car is doing.

Now, knowing that...

If you're in an external view or even a hood view, you do not get that sensation. You are waiting on a visual change from the angle of the camera...or if you're in chase view, you are waiting a LONG time for the car's angle to change or react to your inputs. It's like playing a game with lag. There's always a slight delay.

A guy in a cockpit cam will always be faster than a guy in a chase cam, because the guy in cockpit view is driving in 'real time' with the subtle shifts in a car's balance. The guy in chase cam is reacting late. But the counterpoint to that is that somebody in cockpit cam cannot see the upcoming turns as easily as the chase-cam guy, so in a game like Horizon 2 where you're blasting through fields and racing on courses that can't be memorized, it's a wash.

But in a game like Project Cars, where there are real circuits? Cockpit cameras are faster with the same aids on (or off). That's why I always use it, without even MENTIONING the immersion stuff PK hit on. If I drive from the in car view, I'm driving a car. If I drive from a chase cam or a bumper cam, I'm piloting a camera, filming a car. It's just a mental disconnect.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I'm with you. I sit 10' away from a 50" TV when I am gaming, and the cockpit view is way to limiting. That said, if I had one of those slick setups with multiple monitors I could see getting into that view...

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
I'm with you. I sit 10' away from a 50" TV when I am gaming, and the cockpit view is way to limiting. That said, if I had one of those slick setups with multiple monitors I could see getting into that view...
I've always agreed that cockpit view on a TV or monitor is like driving from the backseat. I wish I could do it but for most games I just can't.

My hope is that playing on the Oculus Rift changes all that, which I will be able to do on this game.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Naples39 wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:
I've always agreed that cockpit view on a TV or monitor is like driving from the backseat. I wish I could do it but for most games I just can't.

My hope is that playing on the Oculus Rift changes all that, which I will be able to do on this game.
Ditto. Cockpit view is like driving with tunnel vision with only a 1/3 to 1/2 the screen showing the action. Completely realistic, unless you are a midget who lacks a booster seat to see over the dash. Some games, like Assetto Corsa, are great in that you can move your position forward. It's the best of all worlds - cockpit view but a more realistic field of view.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F308GTB wrote:Ditto. Cockpit view is like driving with tunnel vision with only a 1/3 to 1/2 the screen showing the action. Completely realistic, unless you are a midget who lacks a booster seat to see over the dash. Some games, like Assetto Corsa, are great in that you can move your position forward. It's the best of all worlds - cockpit view but a more realistic field of view.
True, but are bumper and overhead cam devotees here basing their assumptions on the view afforded to drivers in a passenger car? It's very tough to look sideways in modern formula or stock cars due to HANS Devices, wraparound seats, high monocoques for head protection, etc. Cockpit view is more realistic than you think for a race car.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Leadfoot5 wrote:
That's my setup too, 50 in and 10 feet away. I like the overhead views in racers. I like to see the car, the scenery, the other cars im racing, and the graphics. I can see if you have like 3 monitors and are sitting a few inches away and have a steering wheel why the in car view works. But for casual racing fans like me, I think it's a bit too overkill, but that's just me.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Looked like good realistic racing to me, good sounds, mistakes from cars ahead, (not sure if it was AI)

If cockpit cam was all you got out of it ...

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Looking very sweet indeed, thanks for posting that Dan. Awesome.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

man this looks epic. I hope it's half of toca 2.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Looking very sweet indeed, thanks for posting that Dan. Awesome.
Ya.

High hopes.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

This game shouldn't be dropping off the first page guys we really are getting on in years aren't we.

Noticed CA Highway 1 on the tracks , point to point on PCH how cool is that? i wonder if the scenery is detailed.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Love the inclusion of the in-audio pit crew speaker on the PS4 controller. That may be my deciding point on which system to get this for.